• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 7th: PM2019 065 - Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Honestly there should be no logical reason why Iris loses to Ash (debate with someone else about this because idc)
Ash’s Dragonite presumably evolved much later than Iris’
Iris’ Dragonite has more battle experience and was able to tank 4x weakness multiple times
Iris has been training her Dragonite longer

Haxorus is a question mark but given certain clues like Axew helping her win a tournament, hurting Cynthia’s Garchomp and some other random things... I’m sure he’s pretty powerful as well.

and just for kicks Excadrill already dominated Pikachu once.

This is Pokémon however where sometimes plot matters more than believability.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Honestly there should be no logical reason why Iris loses to Ash (debate with someone else about this because idc)
Ash’s Dragonite presumably evolved much later than Iris’
Iris’ Dragonite has more battle experience and was able to tank 4x weakness multiple times
Iris has been training her Dragonite longer

This is Pokémon however where sometimes plot matters more than believability.

if time and experienced was all that mattered then kids shouldn't be able to beat their elders at all, meaning Iris should never surpass Drayden because he's been training longer than her, and has more experience under his belt.

Dragonite can ditch Hyper Beam for Ice Beam or Outrage. Dragon Dance is useful since it boosts Attack and Speed

It's already got Dragon Claw though so if it was gonna get Outrage that would probably be the move i would expect it to swap for it.

I wouldn't mind Ice beam, but I have this fear that if it learns any of the moves Iris' has...people like Sham are going to call it a copycat

I suppose getting another physical move to benefit from Dragon Dance would be good, maybe of of the other elemental punches?

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Yea but Iris’ Dragonite unlike Ash’s, got its ass kicked a lot so who knows
That's what's i am worried about.
During BW Saga, Iris was the favourite of the Writers, because of which she won and did better in a lot of competitions while using Pokemons who never didn't listen to her properly (while Ash's properly trained pokemons had a hard time ranking good, until near the end of the series).

Yeah, her Dragonite did cause her to lose a lot of matches against others. But that point is what makes me think about the possibility that maybe the writers would make Ash possibly lose to her, to keep her at the top (since Ash losing against her won't be much of an issue, and would instead help boost Iris who is also taking part in the Championship).

Both of them each have three attack moves to work with going off this since Flamethrower is resisted by Dragon's, and Ash's has Dragon Dance which makes up more of a difference since it increases speed and attack power and can make it harder for Iris' to hit with her attacks.

so it's still an even fight as far as i'm concerned.
The main difference is "Ice Punch" that Iris' Dragonite knows (if still).
The Anime has many times focused on how Dragon times are extremely weak against Ice type attacks (even those which aren't 4x weak to it, like 2x or 1x ones).

Its means nothing, don't forget we are in the anime, a pokeverse were a fresh lv5 starter owned by a newbie trainer for less than 5minutes can beat a lv1000 pikachu (with the huge gap of experience, lack of electric moves is not an excuse).
But hope ash will win (he need revenge for all the humiliating losses he faced in unova region)
Never said Ash's Dragonite would lose. Only said that Iris' Dragonite has an advantage over Ash's if her Dragonite's move-set is the same as before.

Last edited:

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Another problem about moveset is Dragon Dance boosts physical attack and speed but Dragonite's only physical attack is Dragon Claw.
That point is unclear, as it haven't been specifically mentioned yet in the Anime.
The Anime only showcases that it boosts the power of the Pokemon that uses it (doesn't really differentiate the "power boost" between Atk or S.Atk).

Jibanyan

It is.

It's really funny considering that even if Iris got a new dragon to complete a set of six, Ash would still have beaten her in the amount of dragons:

Iris - Dragonite, Axew (Haxorus?), Gible and hypothetical new dragon
Ash - Dragonite, Gible, Goodra, Noivern, Naganadel. Number can increase if they ever throw a curveball and Ash gets to mega evolve his Charizard into X-zard.
bro you forgot Dracovish

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
The main difference is "Ice Punch" that Iris' Dragonite knows (if still).
The Anime has many times focused on how Dragon times are extremely weak against Ice type attacks (even those which aren't 4x weak to it, like 2x or 1x ones).

if Krokorok could take an ice beam, Ash's Dragonite probably can too.

besides we all saw how beastly Iris was when it came to ice moves, and Ash's Dragonite has shown to have quite the endurance as well.

it's still an even battle between them because it comes down to who can use their moves better than the other.

IkeBayern

I really don’t think this is gonna be too complicated of an episode. I think we can already predict what’s gonna happen.

This will be a copy of the Ash vs Korrina PWC in which he moved on to the Super Class instead this time he makes it to the Hyper Class.

* Flashbacks and Goh meeting Iris

* Goh catching a bunch of random Pokémon

* Ash and Iris recalling their days in Unova

* Ash’s Dragonite beats Iris’s Dragonite in a tough battle

If we’re lucky we might see Haxorus/Emolga vs Dracovish/Pikachu but the focus will be on the 2 Dragonites anyways.

IIRC from the Black & White series

Iris beat Ash in their first battle in Club Battle Tournament (BW042: Excadrill vs Pikachu)

Ash beat Iris in their second battle in the Pokémon Junior Cup (BW092: Krookodile vs Dragonite)

Since they’re tied in official battles, they’ll probably give Ash the win so they start the real good stuff in the Hyper Class and put most of the PWC focus there.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Damn, shame Dracovish is forgotten which makes this 6 in total (as of now) but alas lmao.
bro you forgot Dracovish
Yeah, I did forgot Mr. Vish.

And you know the funny thing? I spent some time rethinking to think if I didn't forgot someone before posting... Yet I pulled a pokémon anime writers and forgot the poor thing.

Those memory lapses have been annoying me. Did exams but according to them and the Doc's nothing appears to be up. It's probably stress like my neurologist had said....

Anyway, now with the updated list, Ash's dragon types sounds even better than Iris. Not just he has more, there's more variety:

Noivern - Speedy flyer
Dragonite - powerhouse flyer
Goodra - Tank (even if it did job on Kalos League)
Gible - Is part of the Garchomp line. Also it did hit Tobias' Darkrai.
Naganadel - Half Poison but the training off-screen seems to have made it strong.
Dracovish - Half Water + Fishious Rend goes Vish.

I get that, since the set-up is different. But again - to use my race game analogy: I just gained more then 350 positions because I received 12 points for a 1st place in one single 3-car race. So I don't see it as a problem if Ash's ranking jumps up a few 100 in the lower tiers when he wins a battle against a higher ranked trainer.
I'm sorry but your example is too bad, Hyperclassconsists of the best 100 participants in the world, if Ash defeats Iris he would be climbing more than 170 positions in just two battles

CupidKirby

I hope Ash's Dragonite learns a new move in this episode. Its current moveset is really trash.

Not as trash as Ash Greninja's moveset. Though we have to realize that moves in the show don't work the same way as the games. I'm sure Dragon Dance boosts hurricane and hyper beam too out of some anime logic. At least it's not as bad as replacing Charizard's Steel Wing with Wing Attack and Pikachu's Volt Tackle with Electroball.

Plus, if Iris doesn't know about Dracovish considering it was literally brought into the anime's existence in it's debut episode, how can she know what she's facing?

The surprise factor could easily throw her off, heck I wonder how she'll react to seeing it if it gets used at all here.

Iris's reaction to Dracovish would be interesting

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm sorry but your example is too bad, Hyperclassconsists of the best 100 participants in the world, if Ash defeats Iris he would be climbing more than 170 positions in just two battles

My example isn't bad. It's how laddering actually works. You just don't understand ir.

Let me check my actual leaderboard. I'm currently 750th (worldwide) with 1260 points to my name. The person whose 697th (50 places ahead) has 1264 points.

Depending on how many players join a race, the level of your and their cars (my car is rated 3955, which is high, but some have 4000+) and the actual result can give you anything from a minus score, to +28ish points.

Meaning that if it's an 8-man race, and there are 4 players with 4000+ rated cars and I managed to get 2nd, I'll likely gain 20 points.

Now remember that a mere 5 points (from 1260 to 1265) would at least make me jump 50 positions (from 750th to 700th). Imagine what 20 points would do. Especially when the 99th player is 'only' 118 points ahead. But considering that the competition is pretty rough, you can just as easily gain or lose massive chunks of points and drop 100 places in a single race.

Just for the sake of my bad example, I'll do 4 races and keep track here:
1. 750th, 1260 points
-> 5 players total, 4x4000+, ended up 4th. -8 points. Had a crash, looked good up to that point.
2. 844th, 1252 points. A 94 place drop.
-> 3 players, 1x4000+, ended up 1st. +13 points.
3. 696th, 1265 points. A 150 place jump.
-> 3 players total, all roughly equal cars. Ended up 2nd, +1 points.
4. 686th, 1266 points. A 10 place jump.
-> 5 players total, 3x4000. Ended up 4th due to a weird brake failure which literally stopped me in my tracks while I was gaining on p1. -7 points.

Which brings me back to 1259 points.. 1 single point less then I started with and ranked 769th. 19 places lower then I was at the start.

But the point still stands: one race made me jump 150 places. And two stupid issues cost me two 2nd placements..

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Didn't Iris's Dragonite take a bunch of ice beams from Beartic which happens to be 4x super effective against it though? Talk about Durable.
Maybe it was the anime's take on Multiscale?

AsH KetcHHup

I mean to be fair we don’t know how strong Dracovish actually is or how strong it was when it was first revived, so for all we know it could be that strong.
Dragonite is a pseudo legendary and basically a statement to everyone that Ash wasn't going easy this series. Dracovish looks like it has been brought into the main cast for comedy relief.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Dragonite is a pseudo legendary and basically a statement to everyone that Ash wasn't going easy this series. Dracovish looks like it has been brought into the main cast for comedy relief.
I mean, its design is basically comedic to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.