• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 7th: PM2019 065 - Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Mega Pokemon aren't really world beaters theses days... Pikachu in all likelihood woulda beat Mega Gyarados without the Z-Move if that wasn't the flavor of the month mechanic Pokemon was pushing at the time.

Dawn might not of been a true battle sensed trainer, but her contest oriented routines helped Ash create defensive battle tactics that Dawn herself started using.
Even to this day, the Counter Shield might just be the single most impressive move improvised technique in the show. And that was all inspired by Dawn having Ambipom spin while using Swift

Joltik-Kid

People dismissing Dawn in favour of may makes no sense to me at all. Dawn defeated her, has a full team just like may, made it further in grand festival in her debut, is shown to battle a lot, helped ash develop a lot of strategis he used, yet may is stronger? Gimme a break lol
Gotta be because May has Blaziken and Venasaur while Dawn is stuck with Piplup and Quilava. Evolution bias is real here, which is due to the games. The anime could careless about what stage a Pokemon is in.

That being said...

I'm not saying Dawn is the best battle companion, but I'm gonna say given Iris's Dragonite's track record after beating Mamoswine, that that particular battle really seems like DEM in Iris's favor for being the current heroine at the time.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Gotta be because May has Blaziken and Venasaur while Dawn is stuck with Piplup and Quilava. Evolution bias is real here, which is due to the games. The anime could careless about what stage a Pokemon is in.
My logic for putting May above Dawn is that May's style is literally more battle-like, as she was influenced by Ash's offensive style of battling (something which was addressed within the story iirc), and the original Contests were more battle-oriented, while Sinnoh contents were more oriented towards a flashy performance. Dawn is definitely strong though, and there's nothing preventing the writers from evolving her Quilava and Buneary off-screen.

Spyro39

The Ash Salt is real if that's the case lol
Why should they be salty? It's Ash's own fault for not bringing Gible back into his team.

me too, and if Goh did throw a ball at her i want him on his hands and knees apologizing for it.
It's interesting to note that in that picture, Iris is in her BW1 outfit. But now in the special preview, she's in her Champion outfit.

Joltik-Kid

My logic for putting May above Dawn is that May's style is literally more battle-like, as she was influenced by Ash's offensive style of battling (something which was addressed within the story iirc), and the original Contests were more battle-oriented, while Sinnoh contents were more oriented towards a flashy performance). Dawn is definitely strong though, and there's nothing preventing the writers from evolving her Quilava and Buneary off-screen.
May has Ash's straight forward battle tactics, literally power vs power... Dawn has Ash's techniques, which she originally created and Ash perfected. If the two were to battle for real, with their best outside of the contest, my pick would be Dawn. She's got Spin, the Counter Shield, and her Mamoswine has its Ice Shard eating powerup.

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
On what basis is Lillie below Serena when Serena never even finished a battle and Lillie actually showed analytical skills when battling Gladion?? Plus she has magearna

Also why is everyone ranking dawn below may when may literally got defeated by her.
The definitive list should be
1) Iris
2) Misty
3) Dawn
4) May
5) Lana
6) Lillie
7) Serena/Mallow
Serena is battling in Contests in off-screen land

Joltik-Kid

Why should they be salty? It's Ash's own fault for not bringing Gible back into his team.
We all know the out of universe explanation is the writers don't have Ash permanently leave his older team members in his party. In universe, Ash likes testing and training new Pokemon for every new experience he partakes in.

The salt is because we all just want, or a majority anyway, Ash to have the best Pseudo Legendary Pokemon in the franchise :D

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
And May beay Zoey who Dawn has never beaten so I don't think that means anything really. One battle isn't enough to tip the scales based on overall performance imo
It's still the only indicator we have between the two. Otherwise dawn has the same feats as may but better
Serena is battling in Contests in off-screen land
Doesn't count lol, for all we know she's jobbing or running away from battles again :p if it hasn't happened on screen, it shouldn't be a metric

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
It's still the only indicator we have between the two. Otherwise dawn has the same feats as may but better

Doesn't count lol, for all we know she's jobbing or running away from battles again :p if it hasn't happened on screen, it shouldn't be a metric
The fact ur saying shes running from battles proves you dont understand her character.

Joltik-Kid

At tier 1, Iris, Dawn, Misty, and May are all Ash's best female battling companions. If they aren't all equal, they're not far off from each other by much.
Lana is tier 2 by herself, as only Primarina has any real battling experience.
Serena and Lillie are tier 3, Serena edges her by numbers moreso than outright skill.
Poor Mallow at tier 4, I actually liked her character, but she's easily the weakest of Ash's female companions.

Decidueye23

That water girl was shown to be a decent battler :)
Also Lillie atleast finished a battle lmao and showed some skill when battling Gladion. She deserves to be above Serena
Umm sorry i get what you are saying. But there is no way lillie or mallow or even lana are stringer than Serena. While serena didnt battle as much her pokemon are not that weak

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
At tier 1, Iris, Dawn, Misty, and May are all Ash's best female battling companions. If they aren't all equal, they're not far off from each other by much.
Lana is tier 2 by herself, as only Primarina has any real battling experience.
Serena and Lillie are tier 3, Serena edges her by numbers moreso than outright skill.
Poor Mallow at tier 4, I actually liked her character, but she's easily the weakest of Ash's female companions.
Serena has 3 mons while Lillie has 2 out of which one is a mythical and one can use a z move and has defeated a salamence and pushed back a Tyranitar. I think having one extra Mon (considering her mons barely battled at all) doesn't push her past Lillie who has completed battles and defeated hard opponents, Can use a z move, has a mythical and has shown analytical skills unlike Serena

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Umm sorry i get what you are saying. But there is no way lillie or mallow or even lana are stringer than Serena. While serena didnt battle as much her pokemon are not that weak
By what basis are her mons not weak but theirs are? List some feats lol her mons did and compare it to them. Mallow I give you, Lana is definitely much stronger than Serena considering she was actually a battler, and for Lillie I've already mentioned many points. The bias against Alolan girls compared to Serena shouldn't affect this lmao, Serena isn't strong at all in battling

Rohanator

Previews sometimes talk about the earlier parts of an episode (such as ep 18 hyping up Pikachu VS Raichu) so I don't think Dragonite VS Dragonite is necessarily the "main" part, especially with them hiding Axew so much. There's visible damage on Iris's Dragonite after Dracovish's Ice Fang while it looks clean in the shots with Satoshi's so I think huggy boy is getting beat and then mr. Fish finishes. And then in comes the surprise Haxorus which SHOULD probably beat Dracovish but who knows maybe crossed fossils are just OP lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.