• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 7th: PM2019 065 - Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applecorp

:rolleyes:

*Remembers the time Ash could listen to Lugia speaking to him.*

Maybe not Dragon types specifically, but Ash does have some manner of empathic abilities that allows him to connect/listen to Pokemon. And that's not even counting his Aura affinity.
Ash bonds with like pretty much every non-evil Pokemon he meets so him bonding with Lugia just because it kind of looks like a dragon doesn't mean ****. Why do people suddenly want him to jack Iris's goal? Can't she have anything for herself?

I can imagine the outrage if
  • Ash wins the battle
  • Ash loses the battle
  • Iris is not a champion
  • Iris was shafted in her return
  • Iris' Axew is not evolved
  • Iris call Ash a kid
  • Goh do something
And looking at previous threads for the series, somehow we will end discussing about how Goh catched a new Pokémon somehow or something like that

Why would Ash winning cause outrage? The overwhelming majority of the fandom prefers Ash over Iris so hardly anyone would be mad if he wins.

RafaSceptile

Ash bonds with like pretty much every non-evil Pokemon he meets so him bonding with Lugia just because it kind of looks like a dragon doesn't mean ****. Why do people suddenly want him to jack Iris's goal? Can't she have anything for herself?

Why would Ash winning cause outrage? The overwhelming majority of the fandom prefers Ash over Iris so hardly anyone would be mad if he wins.
I already see a considerable high number of Iris fans, at least more than expected, and also some people just don't like JN, so at this point I expect that this episode is going to be controverty. Hopefully I'm wrong, but if Absol's capture caused so many discussion, I doubt it.

As for the other part, I think the "true dragon master" comment was a joke about Ash catching more Dragon type Pokémon than Iris during BW. I'm fine with her goal, and I'm excited about her becoming potentially in the Unova champion.

karanova-1

Mewtwo3214
if in here is the hate character award then i will definitely give to goh because he is in the hate character list in which Iris was there

karanova-1

Mewtwo3214
Now i think Iris has become a fan favourite with the introduction of goh so now all the hate has been directed towards goh :p

ImBeVillain

No more six members
Now i think Iris has become a fan favourite with the introduction of goh so now all the hate has been directed towards goh :p
In the future, when he comes back, we're gonna love him and hate the new one, lol.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Honestly Iris has been started to gain more vocal fans. I’m convinced that those group of people who hated her was a vocal minority. For years we were told she was the most hated Pokegirl and she would never see the light of day because a few people were in their feelings about her “bullying muh Ash”. The same way people love to claim Amour was not essential to Serena’s character neither was Iris catchphrase and it’s revisionist history to try to make her out to be some kind of bully towards Ash.

karanova-1

Mewtwo3214
Honestly Iris has been started to gain more vocal fans. I’m convinced that those group of people who hated her was a vocal minority. For years we were told she was the most hated Pokegirl and she would never see the light of day because a few people were in their feelings about her “bullying muh Ash”. The same way people love to claim Amour was not essential to Serena’s character neither was Iris catchphrase and it’s revisionist history to try to make her out to be some kind of bully towards Ash.
Wll that is true but i think the writers with the way they have introduced goh and the reason he has catch the pokemon the way or the methods which he is catching it is not good and some of the fan favourite pokemon which i wanted for ash such as Flygon, Absol, even Aerodactyl which he stole it from ash i don't think even after he's gone from the anime the hate will just go away

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Odd that people are so deadset on hatred that they don't realize that two characters can be hated at once. Next thing they'll tell me there can't be a conflict where everyone is wrong.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Honestly Iris has been started to gain more vocal fans. I’m convinced that those group of people who hated her was a vocal minority. For years we were told she was the most hated Pokegirl and she would never see the light of day because a few people were in their feelings about her “bullying muh Ash”.
I think it's partially due to Best Wishes being much better received by viewers now than it was during its initial run. Hindsight and subsequent sagas helped make a lot of the fandom realize that Iris wasn't such a bad character in spite of some flaws in her handling.

LucasMV

I used to not like Iris, but for some reason now I'm excited for this episode and her return. I think, at least in my case, it has to do with the context. I didn't like BW as a series, specially Ash's character in it. So that made me dislike everything related to BW by extension. Like I didn't have it in me to focus on the good points of the series, because the central part, Ash's character, was terrible.
And her catchphrase was a reminder of Ash's regression in BW, that's why it was a bit annoying.

But since Iris is now coming back to a series where Ash's character is much more competent, Iris' character in this context actually brings something interesting. A battle between a competent Ash and a more experienced Iris sounds exciting.

I wonder if Cilan kept in contact with Ash or Iris. It would be interesting if either mention him and the other one says something like, "Yeah last time we spoke, he mentioned he was..."
It'd be cool if they mentioned Cilan, much like Dawn and Ash mentioned Brock in BW.

Spyro39

I think it's partially due to Best Wishes being much better received by viewers now than it was during its initial run. Hindsight and subsequent sagas helped make a lot of the fandom realize that Iris wasn't such a bad character in spite of some flaws in her handling.

From my perspective, near universal hate towards Iris was during the XY series, seeing as it did a near 180 from BW. How Serena was the complete opposite of Iris in terms of personality and relationship with Ash. And how Ash was back to being his competent self after 3 years of watching him act like an amateur in the previous series, not helped with Iris calling him a "kid" as a simple reminder of that.

This was further not helped by the fact that Iris did not return in XY, breaking the tradition of the previous Pokegirl returning in the current series. Anyone loved to use Iris' "popularity" as the reason why she didn't return.

Then XY ended, SM came, Serena left, and Ash remained a competent, veteran trainer. Fans became a little bit more appreciative with BW and lighter toned series in general over time, and Iris as a character when she's not being viewed as the girl who called Ash a "kid".

It'd be cool if they mentioned Cilan, much like Dawn and Ash mentioned Brock in BW.
Clian is seen in a flashback in one of the promotional materials for this episode, so there is a good chance.

pokefandt

Honestly my biggest issues with Best Wishes were the League and how they handled Team Plasma. Plus how Ash's team was overall handled (honestly I could draw parallels with the Journeys team there). There was a lot of stuff I liked about it even during the initial run (god that feels like a lifetime ago lol).

It's something that didn't hit me then, but with the release of BW2 made me think of having Iris being Ash's main rival during Best Wishes.

Decidueye23

I dont hate iris. Infact i dont even dislike her. I just feel the writing was very meh. We came off from a very well written character like dawn. And honestly the problem with iris is the wasted potential. She spent majority of BW with axew being her only dragon type. And she wanted to be a dragon master. While i dont mind her getting other typed pokemon, they should have stleast given her a deino or a druddigon at the very least. It would have been fabulous if we saw iris progrees slong wirh Ash, beat drayden then act as the gym leader while battling Ash. That would have been a heck of an arc. I think rhats why iris gets so much flak in general

Status
Not open for further replies.