• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 7th: PM2019 065 - Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly my biggest issues with Best Wishes were the League and how they handled Team Plasma. Plus how Ash's team was overall handled (honestly I could draw parallels with the Journeys team there). There was a lot of stuff I liked about it even during the initial run (god that feels like a lifetime ago lol).

To be fair, despite its flaws, BW handled Ash's team a lot better than Journeys so far. Also, the BW squad felt more diverse and colorful personality-wise even if some could have used better handling (Unfezant, Palpitoad)

RafaSceptile

From my perspective, near universal hate towards Iris was during the XY series, seeing as it did a near 180 from BW. How Serena was the complete opposite of Iris in terms of personality and relationship with Ash. And how Ash was back to being his competent self after 3 years of watching him act like an amateur in the previous series, not helped with Iris calling him a "kid" as a simple reminder of that.

This was further not helped by the fact that Iris did not return in XY, breaking the tradition of the previous Pokegirl returning in the current series. Anyone loved to use Iris' "popularity" as the reason why she didn't return.

Then XY ended, SM came, Serena left, and Ash remained a competent, veteran trainer. Fans became a little bit more appreciative with BW and lighter toned series in general over time, and Iris as a character when she's not being viewed as the girl who called Ash a "kid".

Clian is seen in a flashback in one of the promotional materials for this episode, so there is a good chance.
Tbf I would prefer a Serena closer to Iris' personality or goal instead of the Serena we get during the XY series.

pokefandt

To be fair, despite its flaws, BW handled Ash's team a lot better than Journeys so far. Also, the BW squad felt more diverse and colorful personality-wise even if some could have used better handling (Unfezant, Palpitoad)

Yeah I can see that. The biggest problems were Boldore, Palpitoad, and Unfezant. The first two were brought out for battles and literally nothing else. Unfezant had a cool Evo then got washed everything she fought afterwards.

. . . Kinda like Torterra actually now that I think about it. Everyone else was pretty vibrant. A evolution or two added on would have helped tho

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
Tbf... the korrina episode was frustrating bevause so much of the time Goh went on his catching spree. The whole point of a returning character is to soend sometime eith them. They didnt have to give that muvh screen time to Goh's catching there. They could have done that in some other episode.
He spent more time talking to Gurkin than catching Pokémon. We only saw the first capture, the rest were stills/ off screen, and only the recall effect for Fletchling. The amount of capture time has always been massively exaggerated.

LucasMV

Yeah I can see that. The biggest problems were Boldore, Palpitoad, and Unfezant. The first two were brought out for battles and literally nothing else. Unfezant had a cool Evo then got washed everything she fought afterwards.

. . . Kinda like Torterra actually now that I think about it. Everyone else was pretty vibrant. A evolution or two added on would have helped tho
That's true, imagine if Snivy evolved. She had a lot of potential, but ended up not even changing her moveset for the entire series. What a waste.

That's something JN is actually doing better than most other series. In all previous series (except XY) they had this obsession with leaving pokemon unevolved, Ash's team in BW is a perfect example. But also his teams in OS, AG, even DP had Gible and Buizel, and SM had Rowlet.

While in JN the pokemon actually evolve. All of Ash's have already evolved and a ton of Go's have done so as well. Some people complain it is not right for them to evolve without battling, but I'd much rather have that, than keeping the pokemon in their first stage the whole series for no reason other than marketing.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
That's true, imagine if Snivy evolved. She had a lot of potential, but ended up not even changing her moveset for the entire series. What a waste.

That's something JN is actually doing better than most other series. In all previous series (except XY) they had this obsession with leaving pokemon unevolved, Ash's team in BW is a perfect example. But also his teams in OS, AG, even DP had Gible and Buizel, and SM had Rowlet.

While in JN the pokemon actually evolve. All of Ash's have already evolved and a ton of Go's have done so as well. Some people complain it is not right for them to evolve without battling, but I'd much rather have that, than keeping the pokemon in their first stage the whole series for no reason other than marketing.
Does it? Gengar and Dragonite were already fully evolved, Pikachu won’t evolve and Dracovish can’t evolve. This leave Sirfetch and Lucario and well all know they weren’t him as a Riolu.

ShadowForce720

Does it? Gengar and Dragonite were already fully evolved, Pikachu won’t evolve and Dracovish can’t evolve. This leave Sirfetch and Lucario and well all know they weren’t him as a Riolu.
One thing is noticeable that Journeys does better then some or maybe all of the previous series is not running a gag completely into the ground.

For instance with how past series treated gags it was to take it and then run it into the ground by using it in a majority of episodes of a series, and if it was being done with a certain Pokémon the Pokémon would almost always be a small Pokémon that would never evolve.

However in Journeys they seem to be rotating the gags and not trying to run a specific gag into the ground, nor does it seem like the gags are being used as a excuse to prevent a Pokémon from evolving.

On top of that even some of the bigger Pokémon have gags. Heck they even seem to be willing to let some gags die.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.

While in JN the pokemon actually evolve.
In BW, his Pidove evolved, his Sunglasses Sandile evolved, Seawaddle evolved, his not Meloetta transformed like Piplup, Oshawott didn’t want to evolve though he could’ve (shown blatantly in the episode), they clickbaited/joked about Pikachu accidentally evolving, Tepic evolved, and Snivy/Zurrugu has yet to evolve. His other Pokémon can’t evolve (excluding the Pokémon he caught randomly.) His BW team are on par with his other saga teams as far as it seems.

PK2019 has been good at evolving but it lacks so much substance and is executed awfully. I don’t even get excited about anyone outside of Koharu catching a Pokémon and especially not Go who catches them at random (like seriously, he HAD to throw a Pokeball at Absol and make it seem like he was saving it from getting injured from the onsen heat.) At least I remember his other teams. PK2019 teams are so forgettable and stale outside of Ash’s Dragonite, Sirfetch, maaaaybe Go’s Grookey until his Scizor is utilized decently, and Koharu’s Pokémon.

ShadowForce720

In BW, his Pidove evolved, his Sunglasses Sandile evolved, Seawaddle evolved, his not Meloetta transformed like Piplup, Oshawott didn’t want to evolve though he could’ve (shown blatantly in the episode), they clickbaited/joked about Pikachu accidentally evolving, Tepic evolved, and Snivy/Zurrugu has yet to evolve. His other Pokémon can’t evolve (excluding the Pokémon he caught randomly.) His BW team are on par with his other saga teams as far as it seems.

PK2019 has been good at evolving but it lacks so much substance and is executed awfully. I don’t even get excited about anyone outside of Koharu catching a Pokémon and especially not Go who catches them at random (like seriously, he HAD to throw a Pokeball at Absol and make it seem like he was saving it from getting injured from the onsen heat.) At least I remember his other teams. PK2019 teams are so forgettable and stale outside of Ash’s Dragonite, Sirfetch, maaaaybe Go’s Grookey until his Scizor is utilized decently, and Koharu’s Pokémon.
Just pointing this out but Oshawott never really gave it opinion on whether it wanted to evolve or not. In fact the only Pokémon unevolved Pokémon Ash has that actually gave some sort of opinion on the idea of evolving are his Pikachu and Bulbasaur.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Just pointing this out but Oshawott never really gave it opinion on whether it wanted to evolve or not. In fact the only Pokémon unevolved Pokémon Ash has that actually gave some sort of opinion on the idea of evolving are his Pikachu and Bulbasaur.

I see rowlet being dragged into this, even though I feel that thing is way past due to evolve.

ShadowForce720

I see rowlet being dragged into this, even though I feel that thing is way past due to evolve.
I’m not sure what you mean exactly. If you mean that you think Rowlet doesn’t want to evolve, it’s important to point out that Rowlet never gave it’s opinion as to whether it wanted to or not.

Also before someone tries to bring up the Everstone, the reasons given for why Rowlet likes the Everstone as that it helped it used Seed Bomb and that it likes the taste.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I’m not sure what you mean exactly. If you mean that you think Rowlet doesn’t want to evolve, it’s important to point out that Rowlet never gave it’s opinion as to whether it wanted to or not.

Also before someone tries to bring up the Everstone, the reasons given for why Rowlet likes the Everstone as that it helped it used Seed Bomb and that it likes the taste.

believe me, I am aware Rowlet never showed signs of caring if it did or not, but you know the everstone is bound to be brought up by those who don't think it will go.

LucasMV

Only Unfezant, Krookodile and Leavanny are fully evolved. Pignite, Palpitoad, Snivy, Oshawott, Scraggy and Boldore. All of them are not fully evolved. I'd say that's a considerable majority.

Well, I was referring to both Ash and Go's pokemon. Ash has caught a lot less, but they are all already fully evolved, one way or the other.
And Go's pokemon are evolving too. Not just the lab ones, but the starters too. Cinderace, Drizzile. Grookey will probably follow the same path. It's just refreshing that they're taking after the games in that aspect, treating evolution as part of the natural growth of the Pokemon. It always felt weird for the pokemon not to evolve for the whole series, unless they explictly didn't want to, like Bulbasaur and Pikachu.

Things like Piplup staying a Piplup and Axew staying an Axew. Or Oshawott. We all know that's just for marketing, cause the cute first stage sells more toys. But that just hindered the development of those pokemon in my eyes.

So I'm glad this series got that right at least. Of course it got a lot of other things wrong, like actually giving screentime to Ash's team. But that's another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.