• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May International Competition

Eclair~

ES member Eclair
With the May International Competition to begin shortly, here you can discuss anything in regards to the competition. Once the tourney is underway, you can post how you're doing and once it's over you can post your ranking and over all how you fared against others by posting the number you got after the results are revealed. Best of luck everyone!

Have a current W/L record of 14W/6L on day one (Master's Division).

Also, going into my 20th battle, I had a ranking score of 1604, and I won my last battle. (I'll just call it as 1604 on the day)

If any of you are in the Master's Division, and battle (or have already battled) "Joel" from Kansas, with a note on the player mini-profile that says "#NuggetBridge", you will be battling me.

Duney

10 wins 3 losses today. Didn't have time to do the full 20 matches. I'm actually really surprised how well I did. My last minute addition to my team was my Sylveon and boy is he turning into an MVP.

Tangeh

I just battled you, Joel. ^^ My IGN is Jessica. From Canada. As soon as I saw my first gyro ball hit your gourgeist I knew I was done. No idea that thing could tank so well. xD GG

This is my first competition and my first time doing competitive doubles, so excuse inevitable newbie mistakes if you see me on the ladder. Current rank is 1541 - 6W/3L. >:3

Zachmac

I haven't done all 20 battles, but I've been doing fairly well. I've gotten 4 wins and 1 loss. I've found that my brave Azumaril doesn't really provide my team with enough of a niche to really be useful in any battles, and my last pokemon, Hydreigon, is just a filler. However, my Scrafty/MegaMawile/Reuniclus/Slowbro quartet has been working very well.

I just battled you, Joel. ^^ My IGN is Jessica. From Canada. As soon as I saw my first gyro ball hit your gourgeist I knew I was done. No idea that thing could tank so well. xD GG

This is my first competition and my first time doing competitive doubles, so excuse inevitable newbie mistakes if you see me on the ladder. Current rank is 1541 - 6W/3L. >:3

I remember that battle. GG. ^_^

Overall, day two was ugly for me. >_<

I broke nearly even both ways. 10W/10L (24W/16L overall), and a ranking score of 1602 going into my 40th battle. (Going into my 20th battle yesterday, my rank score was 1604)

I didn't recognize any names today, but two things of note. One of my losses came while myself and my opponent were brining out our first Pokémon, and my internet blipped off. And second, there are "honorable" battlers still out there for sure.

I was battling a player, and with less than 2 minutes to go on the battle timer, it was 2-1, her way. I had my Gourgiest (at -2 Atk, and holding Leftovers), and they had both Ferrothorn (also at -2 Atk) and Rotom-W, both of which were burned, and Rotom-W was seeded. It was obvious I would have won without the timer being involved, but with the amount of time left, I wouldn't have seen either of the opponents Pokémon being KO'd. However, my opponent decided to Run,and let me have the battle at arounf the 1:30 remaining mark.

I haven't done all 20 battles, but I've been doing fairly well. I've gotten 4 wins and 1 loss. I've found that my brave Azumaril doesn't really provide my team with enough of a niche to really be useful in any battles, and my last pokemon, Hydreigon, is just a filler. However, my Scrafty/MegaMawile/Reuniclus/Slowbro quartet has been working very well.

I remember battling a team very similar to yours. We might have battled. Can't remember the exact details though.

Last edited:

Tangeh

Is there a way to check ratings without going into another battle? I can see my W/L on pokemon global link (11W/4L, I'm doing better! :p) but I can't see the rating anywhere except for immediately before an opponent is selected?

Zachmac

I managed to get to 10 - 3, but then a long losing streak brought me to about 11 - 8. And I was doing so well at first.....

My challenge just came to an end. My overall W/L record is an abysmal 27W/33L.

I did get a higher than expected rating though. Going into my final battle, my score was 1617, and I finished with a win.

That final win made me feel good though. It was versus the highest ranked battler I met in the entire three days. It was a Japanese battler that had a rank of 1783.

That was my curse throughout the whole challenge. I could somehow beat most of the people with a higher rank, but then choke versus the lower ranked teams. >_<

Is there a way to check ratings without going into another battle? I can see my W/L on pokemon global link (11W/4L, I'm doing better! :p) but I can't see the rating anywhere except for immediately before an opponent is selected?

Best I know of is to wait and see the final tallies. I have had no ideal what my end of the day scores have been, and now it's "wait and see" since I have completed my 60 battles. Even though I won my last battle versus a MUCH higher ranked battler, I am guessing I would be sitting at around 1635 (at very most).

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I really made a mistake in choosing the team I did for the tournament as I'm new to doubles and normally do singles only. I only had 3 days to IV breed and EV train the pokemon I planned on using without testing them at all or anything on a simulator or something so in my haste I created a team with too many weak spots in pokemon it can't take down so I'm currently at a win/loss record of 6W-14L from the first day and from then I was so frustrated I decided to not battle the second day because of the inevitable rotom wash that completely walls and/or destroys my team

old man

On Guard!!!
I used a few pokes that were fun this time around. Not a great overall total but I've been having fun anyway. I still hate kangaskan

Tangeh

I ended with a tally of 19W/8L, which is better than I expected going in so yay. lol. I think my ranking was around 1630 but I really can't remember. Wish I could have played more, but life.

Zachmac

I had a win/loss ratio of 21/13. One of the losses was a match I was winning before my intenet kicked me off, so it should of been 22/12, but I'm not complaining. My ratio would be much worse if rage quitting actually worked. My final score should be just a little more then 1,600.

Mega Mawile and life orb Reuniclus were the driving forces behind my team, both with devastating power. Slowbro was my next best, being immune to taunt and saving my teammates with Heal Pulse on numerous occasions. Scrafty was great help with Fake Out and intimidate, but was lacking in fire power. I may try to squeeze in an attack boosting move like Bulk Up. Azumarill was my team's official dead weight. I probably should of given it belly drum, but I'll be replacing it next time anyway. Hydreigon was filler because I ran out of time. I picked that guy out of my existing reserve of EV trained pokemon because I figured having a somewhat speedy powerhouse would be useful when fighting opposing Trick Room teams(using TR can cancel out a foe's TR), and for the one battle I used it in, it worked pretty alright.

I probably ought to give my team a Malamar. It'll really help me deal with Aegislash and Ferrothorn better, and will be a third pokemon who can set up trick room.

Last edited:

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Oh, so THIS is where these discussions are hidden.

Results are out! I came 1,343/16,479, with 1628 points from 30 wins, 20 losses, including quite a few disconnects (my wifi is really patchy :( )
My team was:
ZruAH3a.png

PGL profile.

I had fun, though I found as time went on I was facing the same 5 pokémon more and more, and I didn't have a fool proof way of dealing with Talonflame and Kangaskan simultaneously. Charizard was the obvious MVP, I basically built the team around it, but Scrafty was my favourite. Trevenent and Venusaur weren't as consistently useful as I'd hoped.

Tangeh

I had tons of fun, even got #47 in the Junior Division. How do I claim the Enigma Berry and Championship Points, though?

Whoa, that's impressive. :O I came 46th ... uh, in Canada, that is. 1087th overall. :p Ranking of 1643. 19W/8L. I am also curious as to how the prizes are distributed.

Well, while we're sharing:

eTCPGBg.png

Here's my team. The only thing I'd change for next time would be to swap roar on zapdos for toxic: I was worried about evasion which is why I originally put it roar on there, but I never saw it. Even if I did, with a 4x4 format my opponent could very well start evasion boosts when they're down to two pokemon, rendering roar useless anyways. Toxic is pretty much necessary to win stall matches with zapdos... for example I would have had a much better chance to win vs Joel, lol. >_>

Smeargle and azumarill were my primary leads. I would switch them around if I thought azumarill would struggle to sweep the team, or if I needed coverage elsewhere. The intent was for smeargle to use dark void to put the opponents to sleep so that azumarill could set up belly drum. If I saw a kangaskhan on the other team in team preview, I would lead with smeargle with the full expectation that they would go for the fake out on smeargle. Then I'd switch to ferrothorn and watch kangaskhan do 2/3rd of damage to itself on the iron barbs and rocky helmet and waste its fake out. It worked nearly 100% of the time on showdown, but during the competition a lot of the non-English players went for fake out on azumarill, for whatever reason, which was really really annoying lol. If I saw something that was obviously going to go first and use safeguard - aka Meowstic especially if paired with greninja - I'd go straight for the reflect instead. Other than that though, azumarill was a sweeping machine and I could set up belly drum probably 80% of the time which was far better than envisioned.

Zapdos was a special wall. Ferrothorn was a mixed wall. Kangaskhan is there because it's an OP beast, and salamence is for special attacking coverage (particularly vs ferrothorn).

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
Did good the first day, had a horrendous losing streak that undid all my progress the second day, then did fantastic on the last day to somewhat make up for it. In the end I had a rating of 1674 with 37 wins and 23 losses and ranked 696th.

Here's my team:
f54K0io.png

Attachments

• f54K0ios.jpg
    f54K0ios.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 15

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Really contemplated making another one of my International Challenge threads, but college had me swamped.

Anyways, here's what I ran!
ScreenShot2014-05-26at84100AM.png

I made this team a while back, when Rain wasn't used for anything but Perish Trap teams. The idea was to give me an easy answer to some of the metagame's most common threats. SS Kingdra allows me to outspeed the main threat Dragon types in Garchomp & Salamence, even if they're Choice Scarfed, and if Politoed can get rain up after Charizard goes into Charizard Y, Kingdra can heavily threaten it as well. Mega Manectric is there to offer me a solid mega who can just soak up the hits and weaken the Physical attacking metagame, as well as give me a chance to do some heavy work outside of Rain. Regular Manectric's Lightningrod allows my Talonflame to not fear the Rotom formes and the slowly rising popularity of Raichu. Talonflame itself is there to take out some of the metagame's best walls; Amoonguss and Venusaur/Mega Venusaur. Choice Band Talonflame is deadly, even against Pokémon who take just neutral damage. Quick Guard also allows Talonflame to just outspeed and support the team, particularly against other Talonflame. Mienshao and Ferrothorn were added to round out against some of the big metagame Pokémon; Mienshao is my answer to Kangaskhan, and Charizard Y, as well as a fast Fake Out. Ferrothron is my checkmate; as long as i can manage the field and take out any Pokémon that can threaten it (and as I found out I needed to do during the tournament, Mega Venusaur), I can win the game with a simple matter of Leech Seed Protect Gyro Ball or Power Whip.

The team ran much better than I had expected. I went 15-3 over the course of the three days, losing games because of silly mistakes (LIKE LETTING THE TIMER CHOOSE U-TURN INSTEAD OF BRAVE BIRD AND NOT SAVING TALONFLAME TO TAKE OUT MEGA VENUSAUR). I finished at 1628 pts, ranking 1,333. I really wish I had gotten to play more, but the weekend, as usual, landed on a really busy weekend for me. It was a really fun tournament for me, much more so than some of the previous tournaments. I can't wait for the June ICL. Hopefully I'll see you all there!

EDIT: I actually love nicknames and such so I'll just go ahead and share mine (From left to right);
Nishiko, Star Forge, Sonic Flame
Winter Melon, Storm Mother, Genina

Last edited: