1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Mean Look - Perish Song combination

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by ★ Lucario ★, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Is Mean Look together with Perish Song a good strategy?

Pokémon that can have that combination:
    Gastly;092;, Haunter;093;, Gengar;094;, Smoochum;238;, Jynx;124;, Murkrow;198;, Honchkrow;430;, Misdreavus;200;, Mismagius;429;

The Pokémon with Mean Look and Perish song can use moves like Substitute and Roost (Murkrow and Honchkrow) and items like Focus Sash to stay alive longer. You can survive 4 turns easily like that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Reading ADWD

Not in Singles because:
    - You need to live at least 4 turns (Mean Look wears off if you get KOed)
    - Taunt ends this very quickly
    - You can just switch out after they Perish Song you
    - DW Espeon
    - Those you listed don't have Recover as a move (although the Krows can Roost)
    - Congratulations, you just KOed one of my pokemon; here's 5 more to deal with

3. Silvershark

Silvershark HAWLUCHA!!!

Yeah, but in-game, battle tower/subway and random matchup are 3-on-3, so losing one pokemon that way is a much bigger deal. And Perish Song is nearly a guaranteed win in triples if your opponent is down to their last three pokemon.

As for the Mean Look-Perish Song combo, Prankster Murkrow probably pulls it off best. Put the naure and EV's in Hp and Defensive stats and attach an Eviolite. Then bring it in on a physical attacker, use Mean Look to keep it from running, Featherdance it's attack to nothing (Roosting off damage the whole time), then use Perish song and proceed to Roost as needed till you switch out.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded Git Gud

This technique won't last long because mean look is done onced you'r KO'D
    To make things worse perish song is useless when your opponent swaps out and taunt can end this combo quick you had a nice Idea but it wouldn't last long enough unless you use subsitute or have a focus slash to cover for your plan.
    Nice plan but I't would backfire. :(

5. Fortunato

Fortunato Sic Transit Gloria

The idea is alright, but your pokemon has to be able to live the turns to just die to perish song so you're only taking out one pokemon potentially. Against most teams something like this will just end up being deadweight and not worth the effort. Not to mention mean look got neutered because it can no longer be baton passed.

6. qwerty1111

qwerty1111 breeder/battler

a better idea might me a bulky lapras with the following move set
    block/whirlpool
    perish song
    rest
    heal bell/confuse ray/substitute

7. MetalSonic

MetalSonic Orderan' Defendan'

Woah bros! Keep it pre-5'th gen! :0

8. Silvershark

Silvershark HAWLUCHA!!!

Oops, didn't realise this was in the old gen section.

9. Angeltripper

Angeltripper ♥ Ace ♥

seriousl, ingame, this stadegy is great. in wifi and PO, you'd fail so bad. you also got soundproof pokemon to stop it.

10. ThisIsPatrick

ThisIsPatrick Well-Known Member

It would backfire and start spiting

11. Drass

Drass thousands of eggs

It would only work once, if that. plus they can switch before you mean look. A more effective way to do this (assuming you'll only get one with this trick) is to switch into something with arena trap. I use focus sash dugtrio with protect when i use this strategy, as long as they aren't levitators or flying type you're in the clear.