1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Medals

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation V Discussion' started by Wednesdayz, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wednesdayz

Wednesdayz Banned

How many Medals did you manage to get in the B2/W2 games? Which one was the hardest for you to get? Please explain your answer(s) a little.

Tbh, I didn't bother that much to get the Medals. I probably got, if I had to guess, somewhere between 90-100. As for the toughest Medal, I'd say it was the Pokerus one. :p

2. NPT

NPT Just a member

IIRC, I got about 142 medals in my Black 2. The hardest ones were the Rail Enthusiast medal and the Shiny Pokémon medal (I kinda suck at Shiny hunting).

3. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I don't know the exact number off hand, but I have over 200 medals on White 2. Reaching the 200 mark was one of the goals I set for myself on that game and I tried to earn as many of the medals as I realistically could. There are probably some medals I could still get, though.

I think the most difficult one for me to get was the All Types Champ medal, requiring you to clear all of the Type Expert categories at the Pokemon World Tournament. For the most part, it wasn't super hard to win those tournaments, but it did take me quite a while since I had to raise a team of Pokemon of each type (I worked on clearing all the Type Experts in conjunction with obtaining all of the Challenge Medals).

4. Kalosian

Kalosian Never Say Forever

I liked collecting Medals on these games. It was a lot of fun, doing something (or automatically meeting requirements to get certain Medals), then seeing Mr. Medal appear in the Pokemon Center and speaking to him in order to get them. I had lots of fun collecting Medals, it helped B2/W2 feel special and gave me more things to do, and there was a lot to do even without them. I managed to get 242 Medals on both of my games. My original goal was to get at least 200, but once I had gotten past that and realized how easy it was to get more, I raised it to 220, then to 230. And I managed to surpass that as well.

As for the ones that were the hardest to get... I'm not really sure. Lucky Drink was very luck-based, but I don't think I had that much trouble getting it. Super Rich took a long time to get, because I had to spend a lot of money. Rail Enthusiast was quite annoying too as there was this one certain special train which only appeared on certain specific days. Exp. Millionaire required a bit of strategy and planning, as well as time, but it wasn't really hard. 1,000 Wins in Unova's Challenge was not that hard, it just took a lot of time (and was a lot of fun!). 10 Followers after a Musical was similar, it took a while to get. Funfest Complete was also a bit tricky as there were a few Funfest Missions which were a bit tough to complete, though those were more luck-based than anything else.

The Challenge medals could be challenging and they took me a while to get since I wanted to use a new specific team for each type (except Ghost and Fire), though several members overlapped between the teams. I used a Chandelure to get the Fire, Ghost and One and Only Medals at once, which wasn't all easy either as Chandelure doesn't have the best matchup against some of the E4 Pokemon. In general, I didn't find the majority of the Medals to be that hard to get, they could be challenging sometimes but it wasn't that bad, I could overcome the challenges. I liked that, none of the Medals felt impossibly hard to get, the difficult ones were all reasonably challenging.

Overall, I liked the Medal system in B2/W2. I'm quite happy it was kept in X/Y and OR/AS, but it wasn't as fun to collect Medals in those games as it was in B2/W2. There were fewer Medals than in B2/W2, and several of them were just repeats of the ones from previous games. Getting the Medals in the game itself instead of just seeing them at the PGL was more enjoyable for me. And then the 6th Gen PGL closed down, making the 6th Gen Medals feel even more pointless... I'm somewhat surprised the Medals are no longer a thing in S/M though, I thought they would be kept forever after B2/W2 but it seems I was wrong. I hope they can make a return in some future game, in true B2/W2 style.

I did the same thing. Originally, I hadn't planned to complete the Type Expert Tournaments, but then I realized that I could just use the Pokemon I used for my Challenge Teams to beat all the Type Expert Tournaments, so I ended up doing that.

5. ZilverLox

ZilverLox Banned

I have all the important Medals iirc, but I didn't even seek them out on purpose. I just did lots of tasks in BW2 for fun and occasionally I would collect the Medals just for the sake of having them all.

6. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

Even tho I usually try to complete each challenge in the Pokemon games, I never collected all the medals in B2W2. I didn't even seek them all out cuz I knew that there were too many, tho I had fun getting the Wailord Watcher medal at least. ^^;

7. DarkLeviathan

DarkLeviathan Banned

I don't usually work to collect all the Medals, though I recently got the Hatching Aficionado Medal for hatching 100 Eggs in White 2. Medals seemed like an unnecessary feature though.

8. Aquarelle

I really liked how they had a medal for this, too.

Another medal I liked: the "Magikarp Award" one for using Splash in battle. That might've been my favourite one in the game tbh. :p
    (Couldn't you list your favourite medal on your Trainer Card or something? Pretty sure I have mine set to the Magikarp medal on my White 2).

9. Kalosian

Kalosian Never Say Forever

Yes, this was possible. Speaking of which, I remember that I set my favorites to National Catcher on one of my games, and Exp. Millionaire on the other. I can't remember which one I set on which game, though. From these, Exp. Millionaire is definitely one of my favorites, but I'm not sure about National Catcher. It was mostly just to show that I had completed the Pokedex, but since that can be seen in other parts of the game as well, it feels sort of unnecessary now that I think back on it. Maybe I should change it to something else next time I play, 1,000 Wins, 10 Followers and Cult Classic Star are all good candidates. There are so many good ones to choose from... Writing this really made me miss the B2W2 Medal System.

10. Aquarelle

I checked my White 2 today and saw that I indeed set my favourite medal to the "Magikarp Award" one. Also, I saw that my total number of medals on that game is 211.

On my current Black 2 save file, I found out that I never set a favourite medal, so I decided to set it to the "Trash Master" one. I picked it because I think it's cool that they give you a medal for checking trash cans, plus I love the name.

I really miss the way B2W2 handled medals, too.

11. Alloutℯ

Alloutℯ Banned

I somehow managed to collect 200 of these Medal things on White 2. Of course it was a waste of time in the end since nothing good came of it. :(

12. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I didn't pay much attention to the Medals from Black 2 and White 2. I gathered several whenever I saw the Medal distributor by the Pokemon Center counter, but Medals seemed like a pretty redundant concept to me.

13. In Black 2 I got all of the Medals except for about four of them although I didn't think Medals served a purpose other than to be part of a scavenger hunt. They were Black 2 and White 2's worst gimmick.

14. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

They weren't necessarily the worst feature in those games per se, I just felt that collecting the Medals was tedious, even more so than filling up the Zukan/Pokedex.

15. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria The best Mega Evolution

Although Medal collecting wasn't my biggest priority in B2W2, I believe that I have at least 100 medals in White 2 and around 50 medals in Black 2 (I haven't played these games in a while). Although I found it to be somewhat interesting because previous Pokémon games haven't implemented a similar achievement feature back then but I unfortunately didn't this feature very rewarding.

16. FullmetalJackie

FullmetalJackie Well-Known Member

I liked the medal system. I loved the sense of achievement whenever I got a new one. I can't remember off the top of my head how many I got, but I know my favorite one was Lucky Color, simply because I got it via a random encounter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.