• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimategodzilla

Dragon Trainer
Mega Talonflame - Gale Wings.
Honestly, I'm kind of getting sick of talonflame. Smogon bird is LITERALLY EVERYWHERE.
It's not a bad Pokemon, it's just way too overused. The last thing it needs is a mega, at least for now.

I'm hoping for a Mega Vanilluxe. For some reason, I want it Ice/Steel because I keep seeing that thing on its head as a cannon, plus it learns Flash Cannon and Mirror Shot.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'd be cool with Mega Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, but no thanks on Mega Hitmontop.

I'd actually prefer mega Hitmontop over mega Hitmonchan and mega Hitmonlee since I feel that out of the trio, Hitmontop deserves more attention. But the fighting type that I wish would get a mega the most is Infernape honestly.

Vincentium

Beyond Evolution
I like how Junichi Masuda just shut the hell up and stared up and down when the hosts of Gathering at the Pokemon House asked him about Mega Weavile, Mega Greninja, and Mega Pikachu.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I like how Junichi Masuda just shut the hell up and stared up and down when the hosts of Gathering at the Pokemon House asked him about Mega Weavile, Mega Greninja, and Mega Pikachu.

I think he couldn't have confirmed any of them any ways hee hee, so he simply tried to ignore the hosts' questions. ^^

Sabre_King

I hope for SM that each type gets represented once with a new mega and none of which are legendaries. ORAS kinda bummed me out that there was never a new electric mega but also there were more legendaries. The other thing I sorta liked about XY was even though we got starter megas they still added a new mega for each type for the respective starter so no one felt that the water, grass, and fire types were strictly for starters. I also hope in terms of generation ratio that generation 5 should be represented more along with 6. I would be happy if generations 1-3 get 2-3 megas each (excluding starter megas), while 4-6 get the majority of the slots. Gen 5 has a lot of potiental with megas and gen 4 has only touched on some good ones while a lot of the cross evolution pokemon can really shine with mega's. Due to gen 6's lack of pokemon number I would be alright with only 4-5 getting mega's from gen 6. The ones from gen 1-3 can be fan favorites, while I would be fine with any options in generations 4-6.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
I'm really hoping for Mega evolutions for the Johto Starters, Meganium and Typhlosion could really do with it to boosts it usage.

phanpycross

God-king
I tend to disagree with you, I think there will be a similar amount of megas in SuMo to X and Y and ORAS. Hell, we still only have Audino from Gen 5 so there's plenty of possibilities from there. In terms of popularity, yes alot of the big names like Charizard are gone but there's still a lot of Pokemon that have large fan bases still available

"tend"

I dont even know you lmao.

Megas are not gonna be debuting in gen 7, and the most popular picks are largely gone; anybody thinkng we will get the same ammount of megas as XY are just being.... Flat-out wrong.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping for Mega evolutions for the Johto Starters, Meganium and Typhlosion could really do with it to boosts it usage.

That, and unlike the other starters, they most likely won't get remakes to debut their Megas in, at least for a good while.

"tend"

Megas are not gonna be debuting in gen 7, and the most popular picks are largely gone; anybody thinkng we will get the same ammount of megas as XY are just being.... Flat-out wrong.

No offense, but you aren't GameFreak. If they wanted to, they could put more Mega Evolutioms in. Plus, Megas obviously aren't put in just on popularity, but also for function. I mean, who'd take Mega Beedril, Camerupt and Sharpedo over Mega Flygon.

Plus you could argue pretty much all the 'most popular' picks were chosen for XY. Besides, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos all need some Mega love.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
That, and unlike the other starters, they most likely won't get remakes to debut their Megas in, at least for a good while.

No offense, but you aren't GameFreak. If they wanted to, they could put more Mega Evolutioms in. Plus, Megas obviously aren't put in just on popularity, but also for function. I mean, who'd take Mega Beedril, Camerupt and Sharpedo over Mega Flygon.

Plus you could argue pretty much all the 'most popular' picks were chosen for XY. Besides, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos all need some Mega love.

I'm curious if the new starters will all have megas or if they'll do similar to xy and have the starters of the SM with no megas while doing megas for a different generation's starters.
Either way I will be very happy.

I'm thinking there will be at least one new mega for each type, if not more. The mega's were a big hit and they can't just take it out of the metagame now. Now that they know they were liked, they will keep adding.
Imo anyone is flat out wrong if they think pokemon is gonna drop the mega mechanic and slow down on megas. If anything they'll continue on the amount they did for oras or increase the amount. There'll be at least 18 to 20 megas I am hoping.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
"tend"

Like I've said before, there are tons of Popular picks still remaining in Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos.

Not to mention we've still got some popular picks in the past regions as well.

And like Aromatic Mist mentioned, not all of them need to be popular picks. Considering we're getting a brand new gen, it's very likely we'll be getting the same amount X/Y did, if not more or slightly less.

I mean, they didn't even need to make more Megas in ORAS besides the starters, and look at what they did there.

There's some like: Dragonite, Snorlax, Lapras, Butterfree, Slowking, Johto Starters, Flygon, Milotic, Froslass, Hydreigon, Chandelure, and a few from Kalos.

Those are some of the popular ones I could think of that can get Megas, and the three whose counterparts received Megas in ORAS.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
"tend"

Like said above, popularity isn't everything when it comes to deciding which Pokemon can mega evolve. Also taking into account there are still over 300 fully evolved Pokemon to choose from I'm sure Game Freak can find at least 20 (same number introduced in ORAS) for SuMo

And even if you think popularity is still the defining factor there's still popular Pokemon like for example Dragonite, Milotic, Flygon, multiple starter Pokemon and the Eeveelutions all having potential to have Mega evolutions added

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

I'd like to see a mega Feraligatr more than mega Typhlosion however if only because Typhlosion seems so popular already compared to Feraligatr and Meganium, so I dunno if it deserves more hype. ^^

JudySpell

Banned
I'd like to see a mega Feraligatr more than mega Typhlosion however if only because Typhlosion seems so popular already compared to Feraligatr and Meganium, so I dunno if it deserves more hype. ^^

The fact that Typhlosion's popular with fans could be why it might get a Mega evo though.

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
Like said above, popularity isn't everything when it comes to deciding which Pokemon can mega evolve. Also taking into account there are still over 300 fully evolved Pokemon to choose from I'm sure Game Freak can find at least 20 (same number introduced in ORAS) for SuMo

And even if you think popularity is still the defining factor there's still popular Pokemon like for example Dragonite, Milotic, Flygon, multiple starter Pokemon and the Eeveelutions all having potential to have Mega evolutions added

It does and it doesn't. I mean, Charizard clearly got TWO because he's pretty much hyped everywhere and people have been moanig ever since it came into creation that it should have been Fire/Dragon. They got what they wanted.

For the most part I think they give Mega Evolutions to less popular Pokémon in the hope that will be used more i.e. Audino, Slowbro, Houndoom... That isn't always the case.

PolarisJunkie

Crazed Loon
One thing that ORAS did was add Megas to some early ingame Pokemon that really needed some love like Beedrill, Audino, and Pidgeot. I would love if they continued this and gave some of the early in-game mons some love:

Fearow, Butterfree, Furret, Noctowl, Ariados, Ledian, Mightyena, Bibarel, Luxray, etc.

Bus

One thing that ORAS did was add Megas to some early ingame Pokemon that really needed some love like Beedrill, Audino, and Pidgeot. I would love if they continued this and gave some of the early in-game mons some love:

Fearow, Butterfree, Furret, Noctowl, Ariados, Ledian, Mightyena, Bibarel, Luxray, etc.

I've got a good ability idea for a Mega Bibarel!

Mega Bibarel
Ability: Workhorse- Can now learn & use 5 HMs!
Best Setup for Ability: Cut, Strength, Surf, Waterfall, Rock Smash

He will be the ultimate all-purpose utility pokemon so you needn't worry about wasting the slots of others!

On a more serious note, I'm hoping they modify HMs and their use. it's been a long time coming now and they've slowly been addressing it (making the Move Forgetter not at the very end town), (Making Flash & Rock Smash TMs), and (Making HM instances optional and not mandatory to progress through game). It's time though, that they relegate it to something else, like a Key Item that does these functions or somehow make it so it's no longer a move (so it doesnt take up a slot), but can still be 'taught' to a pokemon for outside battle use; almost like a variation of an ability. Call it a 'Utility slot' or something. A space for one outside battle kind of technique that can be used to varying effects.

Last edited:

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
I've got a good ability idea for a Mega Bibarel!

Mega Bibarel
Ability: Workhorse- Can now learn & use 5 HMs!
Best Setup for Ability: Cut, Strength, Surf, Waterfall, Rock Smash

The ultimate HM slave!

Status
Not open for further replies.