• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
I am happy as long as Lunatone and solrock get mega forms. Do you guys reckon eeveelutions are going to get mega forms? In case they do Espeon and Umbreon should get mega forms in this game. And then darkrai and cresselia would be good too.

I don't see Eeveelutions getting Mega's personally. Unless there is one specifically for Eevee itself. I think the reason being they couldn't really do a select few without fans demanding Mega's for all forms, 8 potential new Eevee-megas might detract from potential new Pokemon and other mega evolutions.

tyranitar.armaldo

King of the reptiles

The problem with that is your opponent is also a human being, and if they are as intelligent as you then it is a matter of power. Because your opponent is just as likely to do all the things you can, and a mega severely puts things in their favor.

And in fact I rarely lose to megas, ever. And I also use non-OU mons, like recently I used a Kecleon that knocked out half a team, including a Mega Gardevoir. And another time I knocked out a Mega Rayquaza with a Persian. But exceptions do not make the rule. Just because you and I can play without then does not mean everyone can.

I am talking about Megas in all situations against all different kinds of players. Someone who simply goes online to play and either does not want to use a mega or has picked a weak one will get destroyed utterly and completely with no chance to fight back, which only masochists enjoy. This is a problem, they discourage ordinary players from actually engaging online otherwise they will be annihilated.

A Mega Blaziken is far and away more powerful and faster than any other non-mega sweeper you can find. Mega Gengar is literally un-counterable. Mega Kanghaskan is a steamroller that will wreck you unless you have specific counters for it (just look at the vgc, everyone and their mother uses Mega Kangaskhan). Mega Mawile has the highest attack power in the game.

So far from what I'm seeing here, it is a mega Vs no mega fight we are having here (done by 2 uses somewhere in this thread). If that is the case the way I could settle it is if there are options to set battles that you want to play with. Hence, maybe there would be formats where megas are banned, the other allows.
This wont get rid of my biggest issue with them. They are immersion breaking. The game will still try to force them down my throat at all times.

Megas and Ash-Greninja also raise a worrying precedent. Game Freak looks like it is getting into a 1-up-manship contest with itself. Which is a recipe for disaster. Progressively creating a more powerful and more broken thing than the last, this has destroyed other franchises and I am worried it will do the same here.
"Moar powa" in exchange for the extensive world-building they have done for the past 2 decades is a terrible terrible idea.

Last edited:

Zealot

I want me some Mega Noivern.

GF should up their Megas' designs. Especially those of that were introduced in ORAS. Most of them sucked.

shac

I don't see Eeveelutions getting Mega's personally. Unless there is one specifically for Eevee itself. I think the reason being they couldn't really do a select few without fans demanding Mega's for all forms, 8 potential new Eevee-megas might detract from potential new Pokemon and other mega evolutions.

They don't have to do all of them in one go. They didn't do mega forms for all the starters in one go. So, can't see why they couldn't just give a few eeveelutions mega forms this time.

Ditto24

They just better finally have that MegaFlygon design finished and ready for release

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Kalos: Similar to Unova in X/Y, Kalos may get no Megas. It may have one, however, as unlike Unova, it has one by now.
Expected Numbers?: 1 or 2
Expected Megas?: Mega Noivern or Mega Hawlucha, as both are very popular. Maybe Mega Goodra to round out the 'Pseudo-Legend Megas' up to Gen 6? Or since Pseudo-Megas so far have been introduced in pairs, maybe leave it until Gen VIIII with Gen 7's Pseudo? :p

Actually, I expect Gen 6 to receive quite a few mega evolutions.

Since it is the closest gen and its era hasn't even passed yet (especially considering Volcanion), I expect to see maybe 10 or 12 mega evolutions from Gen 6. Of course, I don't expect any of them to be starters.

Aetius

I don't know what kind of megaevos I want to see in Sun & Moon, but since we'll still get some of them, I wish that there won't be lots of them...
I think that 15 would be a right number.

Autobot N

Gen 1: Nidoking and Arcanine
Gen 2: Starters and Tower Duo
Gen 3: FREAKIN' FLYGON
Gen 4: Luxray and Togekiss
Gen 5: Haxorus
Gen 6: Can't really think of any

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
I still want.

Mega Slaking

Mega Regigas

Mega Archeops

Or just new abilities. probably won't happen, but still would be nice.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Was reading the Fire/Ground talk on the Starter thread and realised that it'd be great if they allowed Typhlosion to learn Earth Power and when it Mega Evolves it turns Fire/Ground, with the design really encompassing the currently subtle Volcano themes.

Orphalesion

But my biggest gripe. It is immersion breaking. Really really immersion breaking. Pokemon loves to point out, these are animals, they live in the natural world, do not disturb/mess with nature etc etc. But then you have these stones that do nothing but work in combat with a Pokemon+a human. It makes no sense, and it feels un-natural to the point it reminds me of Cipher creating Shadow Pokemon in Colosseum/XD: Gale of Darkness; a horrible thing people do to their Pokemon for more power.
(Reminds me of the Grand Festival in the Diamond/Pearl saga where several trainers forced their pokemon to evolve, just for the festival, and everyone in the anime was cool with it, despite the series hammering it in that it was wrong beforehand)

I agree with everything you said except this. Since Gen 1 the games and anime have kept babbling about some mystical bond between trainer and pokemon that releases untold power. It's kinda nice we finally got to see it 17 years down the road.
The games make it clear that Mega evolution needs a deep bond of friendship between the pokemon and the trainer for the process to work, so it doesn't seem forced or unnatural. Supernatural, but not unnatural.
I don't know how the anime handles it since I don't watch it.

Other than that, yeah, Megas suck.

Pelippal

Well, I am just going to predict some pokémon based on what we would likely be able to find in the region, bold being what I expect most:

Kanto: Exeggutor, Kingler, Parasect, Victreebel
Johto: Ariados, Corsola, Bellossom, Magcargo, Qwilfish. I highly doubt Espeon or Umbreon because I can't see only two of the eeveelutions getting megas; it wouldn't seem right.
Hoenn: Swalot, Flygon, Lunatone & Solrock Seviper, Tropius(Perhaps Grass/Dragon?)
Sinnoh: Cresselia, Lumineon, Carnivine, Roserade, Magmortar, Manaphy
Unova: Braviary, Volcarona, Musharna, Alomomola, Galvantula, Hydreigon
Kalos: Goodra, Klefki, Aromatisse

ECM

The following are my hopes for new Mega Evolutions in Generation VII:

Starters:

Gen II and Gen IV starters.

I am really hoping that they do something similar to what they did in X and Y where they allowed you to choose a Kanto starter, but being Johto starters instead. The reason I want this is because remakes for the first two generations happened prior to the introduction of Mega Evolution, and it would be nice to have them available early on in the game and later gain access to Mega Evolutions for them.

I'd like it if Meganium, Typhlosion and Feraligatr remained pure Grass, Fire and Water for their megas, but if they were each given another type, my hopes would be: Grass/Fairy, Fire/Ground or Rock, and Water/Dark or Dragon.

As for Gen IV starters, my hopes for these stem from my hope for Gen IV remakes, but we shall see.

Counterparts:

By counterparts I mean the counterparts of Pokémon that currently have Mega Evolutions. Such as Butterfree. Butterfree has no Mega Evolution, and in the past it has been seen by some people to be a counterpart to Beedrill, who obtained a Mega Evolution in ORAS. The term counterpart is a loose term that I use, I'm not sure if the majority see them this way, but I'm not sure how else to explain it. That being said, the Pokémon I am hoping for that are, in my mind, counterparts arr the following:

Butterfree, hopefully it will be Bug/Psychic

Machamp and Golem, since the other Gen I Pokémon that evolve by trade got Megas last Gen. Or is this Gen? You know what I mean.

Milotic, who in my mind is a counterpart to Gyarados. Maybe pure Water, maybe Water/Fairy or even Water/Dragon?

Dusknoir, though this one is debatable to me since it is in itself an evolution of a second stage Pokémon whereas Banette is not.

Slowking, for Slowbro, similar to Gardevoir and Gallade.

Froslass, who is a Pokémon that I love, and I was a little sad it didn't get a Mega, but again, this ties with my hopes for Gen IV remakes.

Luxray, since Manectric seems like a counterpart to me, maybe not though.

New Mega Forms:

I know Gyarados already has a Mega Evolution, but I really want it to have one where it becomes Water/Dragon. I'm not expecting this, but it's something I'd really like.

Pokémon I just plain hope get Mega Evolutions:

Gen I
Raichu
Wigglytuff
Arcanine
Ninetales
Golduck (Water/Psychic)
Dewgong
Marowak (Maybe Ground/Ghost)

Gen II
Noctowl (Dark/Flying or Psychic/Flying)
Sunflora (Grass/Fire)
Ursaring
Skarmory

Gen III
Tropius
Breloom
Solrock
Lunatone

Gen IV
Staraptor
Bibarel
Floatzel
Ambipom
Skuntank
Electivire
Magmortar

Gen V
Musharna
Zebstrika
Excadrill
Seismitoad
Whimsicott
Lilligant
Galvantula
Braviary
Mandibuzz

Gen VI
Talonflame
Florges
Meowstic (one for each gender)
Hawlucha

This is obviously a huge and ambitious list, but since one can dream, haha. Honestly, if only one of these comes true, I'll be pleased. I love to see what people expect and what people want.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
My mega evolution ideas/wishlist:
Mega Meganium - Grass/Fairy with Pixilate.
Mega Typhlosion - Fire/Ground with Drought.
Mega Feraligatr - Water/Dragon with Strong Jaws.
Mega Dragonite - Dragon/Flying with Aerilate.
Mega Hydreigon - Steel/Dragon with Levitate.
Mega Goodra - Dragon/Poison with Poison Touch.
Mega Torterra with Thick Fat.
Mega Infernape with Iron Fist.
Mega Empoleon with Lightning Rod.
Mega Kingdra with Adaptability.
Mega Haxorus with Tough Claws.
Mega Druddigon - Dragon/Fighting with Rough Skin.
Mega Volcorona with Drought.
Mega Dragalge with Adaptability.
Mega Flygon with Levitate.
Mega Milotic - Water/Fairy with Pixilate.
Mega Tyrantrum with Rock Head.
Mega Aurorus with Refrigerate.
Mega Noivern with Aerilate.
Mega Slaking with Iron Fist.
Mega Archeops with Speed Boost
Mega Carracosta with Filter
Mega Regigigas - Normal/Fighting with Iron Fist.
Mega Mew with Protean
Mega Celebii with Serene Grace
Mega Jirachi with Levitate
Mega Heatran with Filter
Mega Cresselia - Psychic/Fairy with Pixilate
Mega Darkrai - Dark/Ghost with Bad Dreams
Mega Manaphy with Sap Sipper
Mega Lugia Sun - Dragon/Flying with Multiscale
Mega Lugia Moon - Water/Flying with Drizzle
Mega Ho-oh with Drought
Primal Dialga with Filter
Primal Palkia with Tough Claws
Primal Giratina with Adaptability
Mega Reshiram with Levitate
Mega Zekrom with Levitate
Mega Kyurem with Intimidate
Mega Black Kyurem with Tough Claws
Mega White Kyurem with Adaptability

Last edited:

esquilo09

I would love to see these:

Mega Weavile
Mega Zangoose
Mega Heatmor
Mega Pangoro
Mega Electivire
Mega Tauros
Mega Miltank
Mega Arbok

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Is there a place in the sun and moon forum where we can post megas fanart?
Can we post them here?

Fan art has its own dedicated section. You are technically not supposed to post fan art anywhere else.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
To be fair, Gastrodon, Lumineon, Sandslash and Parasect are all 1st stage evolutions. I'd be okay with them getting megas.

I personally don't like any of those pokemon much myself if I'm being honest, however the idea of us getting a mega Parasect in Sun and Moon is appealing to me only cuz of what its design might look like. I can just imagine its mushroom getting even bigger and essentially smothering Parasect like Slowbro's shell when it becomes mega Slowbro. ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.