• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Primal Reversion reverts the Pokemon to a state of primal development, where the Pokemon was at it's peak of power and tyranny. Kyogre and Groudon went dormant in their primal days which changed them into what they are now, losing power through their dormancy and such.

I know, that's what I thought Sakuraba was referring to.

If we were to go by that logic that they revert based on past genetics, Mega Aerodactyl should be donned a primal, as it's Mega awakens it in a sense and reverts it to what it was in prehistoric times.

Since when does Mega Aerodactyl have anything to do with its prehistoric self?

It honestly probably should be retconned into a primal, as all prehistoric Pokémon should eventually get.

Not really. Primal Reversion is a thing because Groudon and Kyogre fought over special primal energies. It is that energy that allowed them to obtain the power that they have in their Primal Form. Rayquaza not being a part of this fight is the reason that it has a Mega instead of a Primal. Primal Reversion is lore-locked into the duo, and it would make no sense to give it to other Pokemon.

cmats4020

Not really. Primal Reversion is a thing because Groudon and Kyogre fought over special primal energies. It is that energy that allowed them to obtain the power that they have in their Primal Form. Rayquaza not being a part of this fight is the reason that it has a Mega instead of a Primal. Primal Reversion is lore-locked into the duo, and it would make no sense to give it to other Pokemon.

From what I remember (and from what I just read off of Bulbapedia), unlike Mega evolution which is fueled by the energy of people and Pokémon, Primal reversion is fueled by energy found in nature to restore the true powers of a Pokémon. So in theory, it shouldn't be exclusive to just Kyogre and Groudon, but all Fossil Pokémon.

Orphalesion

Official statements say the rock spikes were originally part of prehistoric Aerodactyl's anatomy and the restoration process filtered them out by accident, mistaking them for regular rock unrelated to Aerodactyl. Basically according to that all Aerodactyls are faulty reconstructions.

Erron Black

The Outlaw

Basically what Orphalesion said, it's Mega Evolution is what it actually looked like in prehistoric times but due to the restoration process it altered Aerodactyl into what we know as today.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
From what I remember (and from what I just read off of Bulbapedia), unlike Mega evolution which is fueled by the energy of people and Pokémon, Primal reversion is fueled by energy found in nature to restore the true powers of a Pokémon. So in theory, it shouldn't be exclusive to just Kyogre and Groudon, but all Fossil Pokémon.

The point is that in the past, Groudon and Kyogre used this energy for substance, and began to fight over it. Because of this fight, they began to amass more and more of the energy. Eventually they amassed so much of the primal energy that their physical form changed and their strength drastically increased. This is the form the take when they Primal Revert. It took the fighting of these two godly Pokemon to stimulate them into accumulating so much energy. It is extremely unlikely that some random ancient Pokemon would amass the same amount of energy, or even any at all without such a fight and such power to begin with. Besides, if just any random Pokemon from the ancient past could use this energy, then Rayquaza definitely would be.

Official statements say the rock spikes were originally part of prehistoric Aerodactyl's anatomy and the restoration process filtered them out by accident, mistaking them for regular rock unrelated to Aerodactyl. Basically according to that all Aerodactyls are faulty reconstructions.

Huh, that's interesting. I never knew that. I just thought it was like any random Mega Evolution.

cmats4020

The point is that in the past, Groudon and Kyogre used this energy for substance, and began to fight over it. Because of this fight, they began to amass more and more of the energy. Eventually they amassed so much of the primal energy that their physical form changed and their strength drastically increased. This is the form the take when they Primal Revert. It took the fighting of these two godly Pokemon to stimulate them into accumulating so much energy. It is extremely unlikely that some random ancient Pokemon would amass the same amount of energy, or even any at all without such a fight and such power to begin with. Besides, if just any random Pokemon from the ancient past could use this energy, then Rayquaza definitely would be.

Ah, I see. I'm not really knowledgable on the subject, but I just remembered seeing a lot of primal ideas for Fossil Pokémon and was an interesting take on the subject.

Elementman-Novapoke

I'm increasingly getting the feeling that Megas won't be returning in SuMo, which, to be honest, feels odd. I'm not exactly their biggest fan in the first place, but I've grown to accept them. Why GF implemented them in the first place, I'm not sure. Possibly as a means to counter what some have called an 'ever-bloating' dex (which I neither agree with, nor think is a valid counter). The fact that we've yet to see a new, or old, Mega, coupled with these new Alolan variants, has led me to believe that they won't be returning.

But what will the in-game lore behind this be? Are Mega Stones not present in Alola? Do they lack the technology? Something else...?

I was also thinking: Isn't there a theory that states that there's a Pokémon Multiverse? One universe contains Megas (XYORAS), and another does not (basically everything else)? Could SuMo simply exist in the/a Pokémon universe that has no Megas?

Janovy

Banned
Are Mega Stones not present in Alola? Do they lack the technology? Something else...?
They could simply keep the Megas away until the postgame to fully focus on Z-moves.

I don't think we'll be getting any new Megas in S/M though.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Or they simply have more important things to focus on than Mega Evolution right now? We've got Z-Moves, New Pokemon, Alola Forms, Trial Challenges, Kahunas, etc... So much that needs to be covered and if we see new Megas this gen, it'll likely be a small amount or they simply won't reveal them/reveal them later.

Seriously, they're not dropping them. It'd be like dropping random evolution lines from the game.

Elementman-Novapoke

Or they simply have more important things to focus on than Mega Evolution right now? We've got Z-Moves, New Pokemon, Alola Forms, Trial Challenges, Kahunas, etc... So much that needs to be covered and if we see new Megas this gen, it'll likely be a small amount or they simply won't reveal them/reveal them later.

Seriously, they're not dropping them. It'd be like dropping random evolution lines from the game.

Whereas I don't entirely disagree with you, it seems like Trial Challenges and Kahunas are equating to Gyms, Leaders, and more extravagant Gym Puzzles, and so whilst they will take some time, energy, and effort to focus on, the difference won't be too great, because the older features are absent. Equally, there's always going to be new Pokémon, so I don't think that should factor in.

Z Moves and Alolan Forms, though, I can agree with you on. But don't both of those seem to serve a similar function to Megas? Z Moves (which it seems will require a hold item slot in order to be activated) give a super attacking boost (admittedly, a one-off, and I know that not all Megas serve as attacking threats, but a 'boost' is common between both of these features), and Alolan Forms reinvigorate Pokémon that were underused, forgotten, tired, etc.

I'll happily be proven wrong, and I won't cry if Megas do indeed return. I just feel that they serve a similar function to these two new features, and that these new features are: a). Going to take precedence by virtue of being newest, and b). accomplish what Mega-Evolution set out to achieve more successfully.

All my opinion of course. This isn't meant to be me dumping all over Mega-Evolution. If it returns, fine. If it doesn't return, also fine.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Whereas I don't entirely disagree with you, it seems like Trial Challenges and Kahunas are equating to Gyms, Leaders, and more extravagant Gym Puzzles, and so whilst they will take some time, energy, and effort to focus on, the difference won't be too great, because the older features are absent. Equally, there's always going to be new Pokémon, so I don't think that should factor in.

Z Moves and Alolan Forms, though, I can agree with you on. But don't both of those seem to serve a similar function to Megas? Z Moves (which it seems will require a hold item slot in order to be activated) give a super attacking boost (admittedly, a one-off, and I know that not all Megas serve as attacking threats, but a 'boost' is common between both of these features), and Alolan Forms reinvigorate Pokémon that were underused, forgotten, tired, etc.

I'll happily be proven wrong, and I won't cry if Megas do indeed return. I just feel that they serve a similar function to these two new features, and that these new features are: a). Going to take precedence by virtue of being newest, and b). accomplish what Mega-Evolution set out to achieve more successfully.

All my opinion of course. This isn't meant to be me dumping all over Mega-Evolution. If it returns, fine. If it doesn't return, also fine.

Not exactly-- they don't really work as gyms, they might act, but they don't work like them. What we know is that we do some sort of task, battle a totem Pokemon, and then finish it off with the Kahuna. Judging from those facts there, that doesn't sound gym-like to me at all.

In XY we got both New Pokemon and the new(At the time) Mega Evolutions. They completely focused on both, and when ORAS came around, there was nothing to hype the games up but Megas, and so we knew all of them prior to release. S/M has Z-Moves, of which we only know 4 out of the 18, and Alola Forms. Combine those two things with New Pokemon, if we get new Megas, those aren't AS important as the previously mentioned things. Plus with such a heavy focus on them in Gen 6 there's no reason to drop them suddenly. Especially because they are almost like introducing new Pokemon, they've got to come up with designs and make models for them so creating them all for a one hit wonder is the exact definition of a bad idea, especially considering they became EXTREMELY popular.

I don't understand why everyone is worried about them dropping them. It's either we'll get some new Megas or we won't see any new Megas. They're too big of a mechanic to drop like that. Also the fact that they've kept every form change in some way like Rotom, Deerlin, Giratina, Shaymin, Keldeo, etc... I highly doubt they'd get rid of Megas.

Cutty

Forever now
I still like the old gym concept tbh. More in-game battles would be cool w/ the trials thingy.

I'm on the fence about having mega stones return. I'm not really bothered tbh, only Charizard fans worry.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I still like the old gym concept tbh. More in-game battles would be cool w/ the trials thingy.

I'm on the fence about having mega stones return. I'm not really bothered tbh, only Charizard fans worry.
And Lucario fans! Without Mega Lucario, how will I sweep my friends? D:

knightwolf09

I'm pretty sure Gamefreak knows the problem with getting rid of megas entirely. Some of the people that hated would be like "Yay, no more power creep" but the one thing they always ignore is, megas aren't just given to op pokemon. It's thanks to megas that pokemon even had use and opened some many doors to other forgotten ones that's what always made me angry cause they fails to understand that. So because megas actually gave pokemon some use, that'd be the reason why it's bad they'd take it out, cause they go back to being useless. One step forward, 3 steps back. So at the very least, they could just not have new ones in this game, but the previous are present.

Andyomon00

Seer of Doom
People don't seem to realize that removing megas is terrible form of balancing the game. The removal of an entire mechanic because 5-6 mega is throwing the baby out with the bath water, since only the minority of megas fall into this category. It contradicts good game design philosophies, which encourages tweaking and changing of mechanics rather than removing them completely. GF follows these rules because when ever there is a broken mechanic in their games they balance it out by changing some aspects of the mechanics. Look at weather in gen 5, which was the most broken mechanic in the game thanks to Drizzle and Drought making it last forever. Instead of removing it in Gen 6, they changed it so that weather caused by things like Drizzle and Drought would only last 5-8 turns. GF knows for the most part when they've made a mistake in game balance, and will fix it accordingly without going to extreme measures. In fact they have done done something to balance competitive already, like having pokemon with abilities that counter common things in the metagame and Z-moves. Removing megas would be like removing pokemon from the game entirely because they are broken, which we all know has never happened.

Gizmoa

my guess for game balance they will limit to either mega, primal or z- move in party not all 3

I hope so. I really hate the primal and the mega both being usable in one fight... it made having at least one primal on the team basically required... and you almost had to use it... so it ended up with like 2 megas and 2 primals on every team just to have some hope of counterplay... it was annoying.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I hope so. I really hate the primal and the mega both being usable in one fight... it made having at least one primal on the team basically required... and you almost had to use it... so it ended up with like 2 megas and 2 primals on every team just to have some hope of counterplay... it was annoying.

I completely agree with that. Not sure why they didn't have a one primal/mega rule. Did they have to go all the way just to separate the two and not confuse the people or something\?

Gizmoa

I completely agree with that. Not sure why they didn't have a one primal/mega rule. Did they have to go all the way just to separate the two and not confuse the people or something\?

I suspect it was a "it seemed like a good idea at the time" thing, and they wanted to see the legend mascots see more use, but then it became "too much, omg too much!"

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I suspect it was a "it seemed like a good idea at the time" thing, and they wanted to see the legend mascots see more use, but then it became "too much, omg too much!"

lol "people will absolutely LOVE having to use two of select pokemon instead of the normal just OU pokemon of their choice woo ya they will love it" :D

two years later

"people will absolutely love if we just dont mention megas for anymore upcoming games"

great ideas all around :p

Status
Not open for further replies.