• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightwolf09

Worlds are over and no mega evolution has been announced or confirmed.
Yes, yes, let the doubt flow through you! Accept the great truth that I've been preaching for months. What more evidence do you need? :p

Is it really that hard to think that there are just no new megas to announce and they're still in the game? Seriously, what's with people's mentality that they're gone for good?

Akashin

Yes, yes, let the doubt flow through you! Accept the great truth that I've been preaching for months. What more evidence do you need? :p

Evidence that they're gone would be nice. As has been said just about every other time the subject has come up, it's on GF to say they aren't in the games anymore. Until they do, the default assumption should continue to be that they're still there and simply not being focused on.

However, for the sake of argument, the apparent Key Stone slot on the underside of the Z Ring should serve well enough as some form of evidence.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Mega Yanmega - Bug/Dragon with Dragon version of Pixilate/Aerilate. Increased attack, special attack and speed stats. Either that or an Alola form.

Grephlosion

Mega Scizor!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Wait, there already is one. Sorry guys. Casual fan here, trying to get back into the games

We already have a Mega Scizor. It was introduced in XY games. You can find the mega stone for it in all four gen 6 games.

Okay. I'm planning on picking up X/Y in the coming months. I'll remember this

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw

Actual evidence that they're gone perhaps?

Just because we've yet to see anything about them does not mean they're not coming back.

Take Super Smash Bros. for example, just because we hadn't seen Wario or Ness prior to release of the new Smash for 3DS/Wii U, didn't mean they were not present in the games.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Actual evidence that they're gone perhaps?

Just because we've yet to see anything about them does not mean they're not coming back.

Take Super Smash Bros. for example, just because we hadn't seen Wario or Ness prior to release of the new Smash for 3DS/Wii U, didn't mean they were not present in the games.

Exactly. I mean, when X/Y were coming out, no one doubted whether any past Items were coming back, so why all the doubt with Mega Stones. They will return, but they just won't be the focus this time around.

Also, that is a fine looking team you have for Moon there.

I've been hoping that there will be a few new mega evolutions, but they won't be revealed until later, or not even until the games released, because mega evolution isn't the new mechanic that's being focused on.
it'll be disappointing if there aren't any, I need my Mega Typhlosion.

Bus

It would be odd to completely remove such a major function from the games entirely; especially since a fair amount of pokemon have these suped up forms now. Of course, with Z-Moves being like an 'Ultimate Technique' learnable by any corresponding pokemon, it feels weird to have both available. I dont think megas will be removed completely, but I do think they'll be taking a backseat to Z moves. We'll probably have to pick between access to one over another. Also, with so many Kanto pokemon getting Alolan forms (possibly even exclusively them if rumors are to believed) then I think megas will go to other generations.

On a side note, I feel like any pokemon that has a mega will not receive an Alolan form; simply because it wouldnt really fit with its prior forms. Like, take Alakazam for example. The rumor is that it becomes fighting type as an Alolan pokemon, but its Mega is surrounded by psychic spoons as it floats in a meditative way and its Special Attack is shot through the roof. If youre raising a fighting version, the setup you have for it is bound to be completely different; not suited for the mega at all. Thats why I really dont think that Mega pokemon wont have Alolan forms and also why I doubt the existence of an Alolan Abra line. Unless they just make it so that pokemon cannot mega evolve or something.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
It would be odd to completely remove such a major function from the games entirely; especially since a fair amount of pokemon have these suped up forms now. Of course, with Z-Moves being like an 'Ultimate Technique' learnable by any corresponding pokemon, it feels weird to have both available. I dont think megas will be removed completely, but I do think they'll be taking a backseat to Z moves. We'll probably have to pick between access to one over another. Also, with so many Kanto pokemon getting Alolan forms (possibly even exclusively them if rumors are to believed) then I think megas will go to other generations.

On a side note, I feel like any pokemon that has a mega will not receive an Alolan form; simply because it wouldnt really fit with its prior forms. Like, take Alakazam for example. The rumor is that it becomes fighting type as an Alolan pokemon, but its Mega is surrounded by psychic spoons as it floats in a meditative way and its Special Attack is shot through the roof. If youre raising a fighting version, the setup you have for it is bound to be completely different; not suited for the mega at all. Thats why I really dont think that Mega pokemon wont have Alolan forms and also why I doubt the existence of an Alolan Abra line. Unless they just make it so that pokemon cannot mega evolve or something.

This is already confirmed to be the case, each require a held item and so both can't be used.

League

Master Abra Catcher
This is already confirmed to be the case, each require a held item and so both can't be used.
Only in the sense that "both can't be used on the same pokemon" (and that indeed is itself a supposition, supposing that Mega Evolution still requires a held item--to be sure, it still probably does, only a probably-false purported leak said otherwise).

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
Could be that alolan alakazam gets a different mega stone to evolve perhaps?

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
I doubt that would be the case, as they're still the same Pokémon.

They're not really the same anymore, just like you wouldn't call different species of animal that branched off from the same ancestor the same.

They're closer to being a different poke than being the same imo.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
They're not really the same anymore, just like you wouldn't call different species of animal that branched off from the same ancestor the same.

If they still count as the same Pokémon, then they're still kind of the same.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

They aren't separate species, though. They're more akin to sub-species, as they are different, but not so different that a full-blown speciation event can be declared (think less wolves vs. foxes, more huskies vs. labradors). Also, in Pokemmon, something is considered the same species if it shares a Pokedex number.

Besides, having a single Mega Stone that applies to all of a single Pokemon's Regional Variants is a good way to add more Megas without having to expand the Mega Stone count (You'll already have to track down 46, since I'm sure the Diancite will be given to you by a specific NPC, and that's already a lot of legwork.)

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
The problem with Alola variants having Mega Evolution is that their typings and (likely) stats are different, if a Alola Alakazam is a Fighting type that leans more towards the physical spectrum, then it's going to clash with the much more Psychic oriented Mega Alakazam and wouldn't benefit from it at all.

At this point, the options I could see for Mega Evolution is that A) Alola variants won't have access to it, or B) they get their own Megas catered to their changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.