• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I wouldn't mind if they just tied up the 'counterpart Megas' (Butterfree, Slowking, Froslass), the Johto Megas that will show up due to no foreseeable Johto remakes (starters and maybe mascots) and of course, Mega Flygon, popular and actually considered for all Gen VI games.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
To be honest I wouldn't mind if they just tied up the 'counterpart Megas' (Butterfree, Slowking, Froslass), the Johto Megas that will show up due to no foreseeable Johto remakes (starters and maybe mascots) and of course, Mega Flygon, popular and actually considered for all Gen VI games.

Yeah, I don't feel the need for too many either. We have a regional variants, Z-moves and ultra beasts to take the front stage. But some pokes just need that love, and I don't really see too many, if any cross gen evolutions coming.

Yeah, I don't feel the need for too many either. We have a regional variants, Z-moves and ultra beasts to take the front stage. But some pokes just need that love, and I don't really see too many, if any cross gen evolutions coming.

Not to mention Ash-Greninja if the Chinese Leak is correct e-e

But I feel like that'll be more special snowflakey stuff as Mega Evolution becomes normalised within the series.

But yeah, if we get Megas I'm expecting a small amount, explaining why we haven't seen them yet: they don't want to show them all.

Sabre_King

I like the idea with the Counter part megas, as well as, Jhoto Starters, I believe flygon is perfect for the amount of gen 3 megas we have. I would say maybe two megas from gen 5 and 6 each since they need some spotlight for mega pokemon. I mean if mega pokemon do come back I would say 10 max would be perfect for all the other things were getting with Alolan forms and Z Crystals

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
Looking through my Pokédex early I realized I'd totally forgotten about Gorebyss. Let's give it and Huntail some love with a Mega eh GameFreak!

astarsas

What do you guys think about the theory that they are only putting mega evolutions in remake since XY and ORAS happen in this alternate universe and that's where remake will be set from now on while the new games are set in the original universe

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
What do you guys think about the theory that they are only putting mega evolutions in remake since XY and ORAS happen in this alternate universe and that's where remake will be set from now on while the new games are set in the original universe

First off, It doesn't seem like there is an original universe and new universe, but more like there are countless different universes with slight differences, which was just done as a means to explain away retconning. And I'm sure Megas will appear in SuMo, seeing as the Z-Ring has a Key Stone slot on it, Sina and Dexio mention the "five trainers from the past", indicating that X & Y are canon in this set of games, and I also doubt that they'd drop Megas just to bring them back in the occasional remake (new Megas may be reserved for remakes, but not Megas in general).

Sulfurian

Usually going with the hype of the different months (August has an Alolan form hype, September focuses on Ultra Beasts) perhaps October or November we'll see Ash-greninja and a single Mega to confirm them still being in the game.

ArtFenix

Usually going with the hype of the different months (August has an Alolan form hype, September focuses on Ultra Beasts) perhaps October or November we'll see Ash-greninja and a single Mega to confirm them still being in the game.
I think the problem most people have with megas in SM isn't in them being absent from the game, but in no new megas. I personally have no doubt megas are in the game but I am quite worried there are no new ones. Megas are a huge game changing mechanic. They should stick to it instead of dropping it right after the Generation it was indroduced in.

What's up, Groudon bro? xD

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
The alternate universes thing is only a weak attempt to make both Ruby/Sapphire and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire canon at the same time. It was also never 100% confirmed, only strongly hinted at by Zinnia. Zinnia is not a scientist, she's a member of some sort of weird cult. I see no reason to put any stock in what she said.

gliscor&yanmega

I think the problem most people have with megas in SM isn't in them being absent from the game, but in no new megas. I personally have no doubt megas are in the game but I am quite worried there are no new ones. Megas are a huge game changing mechanic. They should stick to it instead of dropping it right after the Generation it was indroduced in.

I wouldn't mind no new Megas in Sun and Moon, I'd have no issue if there are news ones though. But Sun and Moon already have a ton of new stuff so I can live without new Megas. If anything, gives possible D/P remakes more Megas.

Sakuraba

The alternate universes thing is only a weak attempt to make both Ruby/Sapphire and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire canon at the same time. It was also never 100% confirmed, only strongly hinted at by Zinnia. Zinnia is not a scientist, she's a member of some sort of weird cult. I see no reason to put any stock in what she said.

I love you. Thank you for using some grey matter and common sense.

Erron Black

The Outlaw

Not to mention Megas were insanely popular and merchandise-wise were huge sellers. It'd be a stupid move to drop them for something new-- something that may or may not be as popular as Megas currently are.

With everything that Yokai WatchPokemon is adding in this generation, I'm just hoping they left room for the widely loved Megas. Plus, as Alolan forms appear to be Kanto exclusive, it'd be quite unfair to give gen 1 even more representation than needed and wanted and completely forget the 5 generations of Pokemon that came after.

Anthea

Mega evolutions are definitely more hype than Alola forms. That whole transformation sequence is sick.

I would not mind there being none in sun / moon, and instead a bunch being present in the next games/ sinnoh remakes.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Mega evolutions are definitely more hype than Alola forms. That whole transformation sequence is sick.

I would not mind there being none in sun / moon, and instead a bunch being present in the next games/ sinnoh remakes.

It would be a bummer if there weren't any though , there are so many ignored pokemon that could use a boost now. :(

gliscor&yanmega

It would be a bummer if there weren't any though , there are so many ignored pokemon that could use a boost now. :(
Well Sun and Moon will include however many new Pokemon and Alolan forms so it would be a time for them to get their time. Then probably in a year or two we get the possible remakes and can get a nice few handful of Megas for some Pokemon that would love to get one. Plus they can always just give some Pokemon a boost in stats, Ability and moves.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
She may not be a scientist, but this "cult" she comes from is pretty special.

I'd honestly put a lot of stock in what she said, especially since it'd be pretty useless for GF to just give her that sentence and then just say "lol she was lying".

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
She may not be a scientist, but this "cult" she comes from is pretty special.

I'd honestly put a lot of stock in what she said, especially since it'd be pretty useless for GF to just give her that sentence and then just say "lol she was lying".

Good for you, I'm not putting any stock into it until I have more evidence than "because crazy dragon lady said so".

As I said, it's a weak attempt by GameFreak to make the original 3rd generation games canonically compatible with the remakes, which honestly is a stupid thing to do in the first place when you can simply discard the old ones as outdated in the same fashion that nearly any other storyline would do.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Good for you, I'm not putting any stock into it until I have more evidence than "because crazy dragon lady said so".

As I said, it's a weak attempt by GameFreak to make the original 3rd generation games canonically compatible with the remakes, which honestly is a stupid thing to do in the first place when you can simply discard the old ones as outdated in the same fashion that nearly any other storyline would do.
If a crazy dragon lady came up to you in real life and said something about alternate dimensions, then of course don't believe her.

But this is a video game. Developers won't just give important characters dialogue like that and then have it turn out to not mean anything. While maybe it was GF's attempt to explain the original RSE world, I feel like it'll come back up in some games in the future.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
If a crazy dragon lady came up to you in real life and said something about alternate dimensions, then of course don't believe her.

But this is a video game. Developers won't just give important characters dialogue like that and then have it turn out to not mean anything. While maybe it was GF's attempt to explain the original RSE world, I feel like it'll come back up in some games in the future.

I agree with Divine Retribution. The alternate universe ploy (and Zinnia's so-called 'right' to extend her opinion over everyone else... she literally caused all the near Earth-ending events in the game) was a really weak way of trying to include mega evolution as part of previous generations. It simply wasn't needed as the new mega additions can simply accepted as the new generation's retelling of Hoenn.

Should Sun and Moon fail to provide any new Mega's I will be disappointed. But should the unlikely event of a DP remake occur I would really be hoping for new mega's (and new quirks for Dialga/Palkia/Giratina for the expanding legendary metagame) without the need to try and retcon their existence into the original storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.