• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Mega Evolution was a controversial feature introduced in Generation 6. Some people loved it for giving weak Pokemon a power boost, while others hated it for making OP Pokemon more OP. No new Mega Evolutions were introduced in Generation 7. Do you think that new Megas will be introduced, or do you think that this feature is done for good? Also, you can share your ideas for new Megas here.

PsychoKing47

I'm not sure if new ones will be introduced, but I would like to see their return, even if many of them were over-the-top both design and power-wise. However, the fact that we got no new ones in Gen 7 is not a good sign for their future, so it's hard to tell what will happen. If they do return, I'd like to see more for Pokemon from Gen 4 onwards, as the vast majority of current Megas are Gens 1, 2 and 3; my personal choice for a Pokemon to get a Mega is Druddigon, just to make my favourite Pokemon actually viable to use in-game for once.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I would love it if they brought in some new mega evolutions mostly for Pokemon that need them

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
I would love it if they brought in some new mega evolutions mostly for Pokemon that need them

"Pokemon that need them and will be able to effectively use them"

^^^ This is extremely important we don't want an other situation where Pokemon get a mega but they are still can't use it or are inferior to the regular forms eg:

Mega Pidgeot - Nice ability and stats but **** movepool
Mega Scizor - Nothing is different from the regular scizor

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
After Gen7 didn’t give us any I’m not getting my hopes up for new ones in Gen8 but I would definitely welcome them. I’d personally like Cacturne, Golduck, Flygon and Zebstrika to all get Megas.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Hopefully we get new Mega Evolutions in Gen 8 but it would be nice for Flygon to get one, think I recall it got deprived due the artists suffering from creator's block trying to make one.

M.P.

Retired
I'm not sure about Gen 8 giving us new Megas, but I wouldn't mind getting some, as long as they don't give them to already OP Pokemon. Zangoose and Seviper getting megas would be nice.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I wouldn't mind getting some new Megas, especially if they're Megas of the final evolutions of the starters of each generation and maybe a few others.

Cerex

I think they really botched the roll out of Megas, in giving too much fanservice. The best Megas were ones that gave the lucky Pokemon that got them a second life, and made you think about using them in completely different ways. There are many Pokemon that are either relegated to obscurity, even if they have a cool backstory or origin, that could use a Mega Evolution to give them some attention. I was sad to not see any new ones in Gen 7. Z-Moves were and are interesting techniques, but save for some very select instances they don't see to turn the tide of battle as well as Megas did. They are less predictable, that's for sure; however, I don't think that outweighs their benefit to specific Pokemon in terms of battle usage.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
To this day I'm still hoping new Megas show up again, and this time it's for things that actually needs them or things that need them because their counterpart has gotten a Mega.

The ones I'm wishing for are Butterfree, Slowking, Froslass, Flygon, Lumineon, Delcatty, and Kricketune.

Also, I want Meloetta to get a Mega for each of her forms (but with just 1 Mega Stone needed), and Sceptile gets a physical-based new Mega. And a Mega for Milotic too.

We also need more Gen 5 megas, I'm thinking Cryogonal, Bisharp, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Beheeyem, Seismitoad, Maractus, Swanna, and Liepard.

And release Megas for Gen 2, Gen 4, and Gen 5 starters as well.

Last edited:

Mudster

Master of the Legend
I would really like to see new mega evolutions for Pokémon across all generations, including the soon to be revealed gen 8. I would especially like to see more of those with 540 BSTs get mega evolutions, as they would all be similar to Gyarados. Some ideas:
  • Snorlax (Normal / Fighting)
  • Kingdra (Water / Dragon) with new ability
  • Blissey (Normal / Fairy)
  • Milotic (Water / Fairy)
  • Electivire (Electric / Fighting)
  • Magmortar (Fire / Psychic)
  • Haxorus (Dragon / Steel)
  • Naganadel (Poison / Dragon) with new ability - perhaps a version of Beast Boost that increases 2 highest stats instead of just one
Also would like to see all starters get mega evolutions. Lycanroc could also have some interesting potential to vary the 3 forms more.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I feel that Blissey and Porygon Z definitely need Mega Evolutions. One of the things that really annoy me about Chansey and Porygon 2 is that Eviolite Chansey and Eviolite Porygon 2 are stronger than there evolutions, which really breaks the lore of Pokemon since evolved Pokemon are supposed to be stronger than there pre-evolutions.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I would really like to see new mega evolutions for Pokémon across all generations, including the soon to be revealed gen 8. I would especially like to see more of those with 540 BSTs get mega evolutions, as they would all be similar to Gyarados. Some ideas:
  • Snorlax (Normal / Fighting)
  • Kingdra (Water / Dragon) with new ability
  • Blissey (Normal / Fairy)
  • Milotic (Water / Fairy)
  • Electivire (Electric / Fighting)
  • Magmortar (Fire / Psychic)
  • Haxorus (Dragon / Steel)
  • Naganadel (Poison / Dragon) with new ability - perhaps a version of Beast Boost that increases 2 highest stats instead of just one
Also would like to see all starters get mega evolutions. Lycanroc could also have some interesting potential to vary the 3 forms more.

They should bring an Infernape mega evolution in just so fans can be all excited speculating that Ash will get mega-infernape only for his main rival to get it instead xD

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Given that no new Mega Evolutions were introduced in Gen VII, with the game developers instead focusing on Gen VIII's gimmick of Z-Moves, I don't have much hopes for new Megas being introduced in Gen VIII, especially if that generation has its own gimmick. I think the feature might be done for good. However, I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised and proven wrong.

SleepingGiant

Discord mod (Sudo)
Agreed with Satomine Night. In the unlikely case that they do make more Mega Evolutions and Z Moves, my half-ironic wishlist would be:
  • Mega Blissey, with all 100 points added to Defense along with the ability Innards Out
  • Mega Ninjask with Wonderguard and Mega Shedinja with Magic Guard
  • Mega Drampa because rooting for Flygon is getting old.
  • Mega Bruxish, Mega Basculin, Mega Lumineon, or Mega Seaking, because the fish Pokemon are mysteriously absent from this glory.
  • Mega Ultra Necrozma just for the Shonen-style "more adjectives = more power" trope.

Bus

Mega evolutions are more likely to return than Regional forms, I feel. The Z crystals will probably come back, too, though. They did one for each element and they could probably through in like 3-4 unique ones, but I don't think they're going to expand on it much. Megas seem more likely, but then again...I guess it depends.

Think back as far as you can; what did people take to better?
Megas (temporary evolutions to older pokemon)
Evolutions to Older mons (Gen 4 was the first big wave of Evolutions to older pokemon)
Regional Forms (Figured this would be an Alola-only feature, but who knows?)

Depending on how the fanbase reacted each time one was introduced, I feel like that's the one we're going to get here. Pokemon on the switch (so long as it truly is Generation 8 like everyone hopes) represents a monumental shift for the series. It'll be the first Console mainline pokemon game. Rather than an 'Anniversary' kind of feel where they'd include ALL aspects from previous games, I feel like it'll be more like a 'fresh start'. A brand new adventure that'll more heavily feature the feature that was the most popular (which is more than likely to be straight up Evolution to past forms). I don't doubt that there will be new mechanics, at least not anything meta defining like Mega-volutions or Z Crystals. I'd imagine it would just be a more interesting way of integrating online functions (like a hub city you can 'fly' to that has trainers from all over the world in real time rather than static NPC representations of other people) and a few new evolution methods (like the Moss Rock, but better...like evolution at certain Elevations, or in particular terrain, or again, something wifi-related).

Aleh

«Last Hope»
Megas will surely return. If not with the first Gen 8 games then with remakes for sure. They wouldn’t leave some starters with megas and some without.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Mega Evolution is a mechanic that I think that will almost certainly be in the new games. Similarly to Gen 7, I think that this time Mega Evolution will be limited to the postgame.

Marzbar

Already been said, but it saddens me greatly that they planned a Mega Milotic but couldn't come up with an adequate design. PLEASE give us Mega Milotic, along with Mega Weezing and Mega Arbok.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Already been said, but it saddens me greatly that they planned a Mega Milotic but couldn't come up with an adequate design. PLEASE give us Mega Milotic, along with Mega Weezing and Mega Arbok.

you can't forget that they also wanted to give Flygon a mega but couldn't think of one :(

Status
Not open for further replies.