1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Mega Evolution Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Let's Go, Pikachu & Eevee' started by RileyXY1, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

That's really too bad. Flygon is one of those pokémon that would really benefit immensely from a mega. It's already got a great typing and an amazing movepool that contains not only huge coverage but also a lot of nifty tricks like Feint that not a lot of pokémon get. It's just let down a bit by its stats.

2. Marzbar

Marzbar Well-Known Member

Mega Tropius also needs to happen. Such a great pokemon design that is completely wasted on the uncompetitive mess that is Tropius

Sceptile Leaf Blade likes this.
  3. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

My only concern about Flygon M.Evolving is .... well its not one concern.

Its just that so many people want it to magically become Bug/Deagon. And then so many that dont (this is my camp).

Add to that its so often compared to Garchomp I feel like no matter what they do the expectations on it is so high that no matter what itll either not meet them, or people will talk about "what it took to get good".

I kinda like the idea of just letting Flygon be... i mean... sure I wish it had at least equal attack stats.... and the idea of a Ice/Dragon or Electric/Dragon regional catiant sounds awesome to me......

....but can we just be happy with the Flygon we have. This fun and awesome in his owm way lil dude.

4. Cerex

Cerex Well-Known Member

But, like, why? If the argument is that some people won't be happy with whatever Mega Evolution Flygon gets, so we shouldn't do anything seems weird to me. Surely, some people will like it, and those that don't won't have to use that Mega, and it would be--and excuse the economic jargon here--a Pareto improvement from the current situation. I've never really much cared for Flygon, but Mega Evolution has given a lot of Pokemon new life, and maybe it is Bug/Dragon, or maybe not--I would not have expected the Gyrados Mega to be what it was, but it's become one of my favorites.

I hope we get to see more Megas. It is true that they do make some things predictable, basically if you see a Beedrill on any tean; however, it could be expanded to some Pokemon that are on their own competitive, or at least somewhat, but changes their battle characteristics. Such as:

Lunatone: Rock/Fairy
    Solrock: Rock/Fire, essentially it's core explodes, big boost to Sp. Atk. Still retain Levitate.
    Slaking: Normal, but loses it's crippling ability in favor of something a bit less restrictive, with some stat reductions. Given that the idea that Megan Evolution is about a Pokemon being bonded to their trainer to the point that they go beyond their limitations, this seems perfectly in line with that
    Milotic: Water/Fair
    Cryogonal: Ice/Steel, essentially a major form change, where instead of it's Sp Def being up it flips with it's regular Def and the same with it's Atk stat. It doesn't have the best move set to exploit this, but with Icicle Crash and maybe Iron Head.
    Druddigon: Dragon/Poison, so far all of our Dragon/Poison types have been Spa based, Druddigon would be a good candidate for a physical version
    Froslass: A more haunting and beefed up look already, essentially the Glalie Megas to Gardevoir

5. Marzbar

Just going to leave you with two words:

Mega Noctowl

6. paipr_christian

With owls as my favorite birds, id like to see this.

Biggest thing they need to fo for Noctoel though is improve its movepool. Other wise a M.Evo is liable only to make it better at what it currently does.

7. shoz999

shoz999 Sonic's the name! Speed's my game!

You know what we should really talk about? Mega Evolutions for the Sinnoh generation because it's pretty likely will get Sinnoh remakes after Pokemon Switch. So here are some ideas I have...

For Pokemon Switch...
    Mega Typhlosion
    Type - Fire/Psychic (or Ghost)
    Ability - Magic Bounce
    The idea of his unusual typing stems from his Delta Species card, the precursor to Alolan Regional Variants, where he is a Psychic/Ghost type. He also has the egg move Extrasensory. I believe this Mega Evolution can work by simply giving him a few obvious Psychic or Ghost-type moves, like Psychic or Shadowball, similar to how Ampharos got Dragon Pulse specifically for his Mega Evolution. Also this Mega Evolution would also have increased speed that rivals Greninja's speed.

Mega Feraligatr
    Type - Water/Dragon
    Ability - Adaptability/Swift Swim
    Feraligatr's Pokedex entry states that Feraligatr has strong brute force and strong hind legs to be fast (hence why he got Agility in the 7th gen). Due to this, I believe these two abilities are perfect for Mega Feraligatr.

Mega Meganium
    Type Grass/Fairy
    Wonder Guard (or Multiscale)
    Okay. So I believe the best way to make Meganium one of the most competitively-viable Pokemon is to simply give him the OP ability, Wonder Guard, where it makes Mega Meganium completely immune to damage that isn't supereffective. Now before you argue against this, I believe that Meganium's typing and the Mega Stone taking up an item slot balances this. As you know Meganium is one of the worst Pokemon thanks to it's average stats and Grass typing having so many weaknesses. Combine this with the Fairy-typing, Mega Meganium even has more weaknesses but in return for having a lot more weaknesses, it's balanced out by being completely immune to any damage that is not supereffective against Meganium. Also Meganium's defense stats would remain the same, for balancing purposes. Meganium's attack stats however would receive a major boost.

If you really think that it's still overpowered, there's also Multiscale but Meganium's defense stats would be increased as Multiscale does not have the same strength as Wonder Guard.

For the Sinnoh Remakes...
    Mega Infernape
    Type Fire/Fighting
    Mold Breaker
    It's pretty simple really. Infernape, with increase attack and speed stats, can easily one-shot all sorts of Pokemon, from Steelix to Mimikyu.

Mega Empoleon
    Imperial Command
    Type Water/Steel
    This ability is inspired by one of the best Pokemon theme decks in the TCG game, Imperial Command! Empoleon gets a temporary 10% boost to it's attack stat for every fully health Pokemon you and your opponent has on there team upon being sent out. This means, like Golisopod's First Impression move, Empoleon's Imperial Command ability can only work on the first turn it's sent out.

Mega Torterra
    Solid Rock
    Type Grass/Ground
    This ability powers down super-effective moves, perfect for Torterra's bulk and average typing. If you ever battled a Solid Rock version of Rhypherior, you know that even some water-type moves won't be able to one-shot it easily.

8. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

I would actually go in a completely opposite direction for Mega Meganium. I'd leave its attack stats and speed where they are or give them like a +10 buff, give its defence stats a big buff on the mega (as in, like +40 or +50), and give it Grass Pelt as an ability. Also give it Floral Healing and Cotton Spore as egg moves. Then it becomes a wall that sets up Grassy Terrain and heals its partners with Floral Healing and provides speed support with Cotton Spore, and maybe heals itself with Giga Drain or Synthesis, or sets up screens. I really don't think Meganium needs Wonder Guard or anything like that, it is fairly bulky and has a great support movepool. It just needs a little buff to its defensive power so it can wall more reliably. In singles it'd set up Grassy Terrain and use Leech Seed and maybe Protect or Substitute to just stall out opponents. Eviolite Bayleef is already pretty decent at that, but with Grass Pelt and boosted defences on a mega Meganium would be even better at it.

I'm not sure on Typhlosion. I love its Flash Fire Eruption combo and losing Flash Fire on the mega would probably be quite a detriment. I'm not sure what Typhlosion needs, I'd say just give it a boost to its stats on a mega and call it a day. It's really not a weak pokémon, it just needs a little support to shine. Typhlosion is all about building up insane power in its fire moves and just nuking opponents with it, regardless of whether they resist it or not. I like that's a little niche that nothing else really does like Typhlosion. Magic Bounce isn't even that good of an ability on Typhlosion, it's not a pokémon that's there to be bulky, it's a pokémon that has to nuke opponents to oblivion and Flash Fire helps it immensely in that role, while Magic Bounce really wouldn't.

9. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

Mega Jumpluff (grass/flying)
    Fluffy or FurCoat
    HP 75 > 75
    ATT 55 > 100
    DEF 70 > 100
    S.ATT 55 > 55
    S.DEF 95 > 115
    SPD 110 > 115

Mega Lanturn (water/electric)
    Drizzle
    HP 125 > 125
    ATT 58 > 58
    DEF 58 > 98
    S.ATT 76 > 91
    S.DEF 76 > 96
    SPD 67 > 92

Mega Sunflora (grass/fire)
    Drought
    HP 75 > 75
    ATT 75 > 85
    DEF 55 > 85
    S.ATT 105 > 145
    S.DEF 85 > 105
    SPD 30 > 30

10. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Dark Magician Girl

I hope not; I didn't really care for mega evolutions. It seems to be a gen 6 gimmick anyways so I doubt there will be any new ones.

11. Dragon Pulse

Dragon Pulse Well-Known Member

I want Mega Dragonite and Mega Serperior (being Grass/Dark). Mega Noctowl could be cool too, given if they make it Psychic/Flying. Also, this is unlikely to happen, but if they gave Mega Evolutions to the Alolan starters, I sincerely hope they boost Decidueye's speed stat.

12. Zipper4242

Zipper4242 Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.

I want Mega Luxray, electric/dark. It was always one of my favorite (my first catch ever) Pokemon, and I still use it. I would love to see that thing reach a new level of usability.

Oh, and Mega Bibarel. Protean, stats like Mega Rayquaza, and a typing that will make it nearly immune to everything. Basically, make Bibarel the lord it is.

GarchompTheAssassin likes this.
  13. KKS-Lapras

KKS-Lapras Well-Known Member

I just want the Gen 2 starters to get Mega-Evolutions. The fact that they introduced the concept, and only gave it selectively to Gen 1 and 3, at least when it came to the starters, really still irks me.

14. PirateKing

PirateKing Well-Known Member

Megas were my favorite thing about Gen 6 and something I really hope comes back,

I feel like Gen 8 is gonna have it’s own gimmick like 7 was Z-Moves but what I really hope they do is at least give us the option to use the existing Megan’s during the game rather than locking it to postgame

15. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Water starter fan

Mega Luxray/Staraptor/Roserade/Hydreigon needed

16. Marzbar

They are all already competitive apart from Luxray maybe...

17. paipr_christian

Something I was hoping would happen in ORAS or in gen7 that Id like to see done in general, but def in gen8.

As we travel the region we meet different trainers with teams based around specfic M.Evos.

So in one spot we would meet say, a Sableye "Master " his team would be simple, as it have a regular Sableye, and his second Pokemon would be a Sableye he M.Evolves. when you beat him he gives you Sablenite.

Another spot could have a Altaria "Master". His team wpuld have a Swablu, a Altaria, and a Altaria he M.Evolves. beating him would net you Altarianite.

And for many M.Stones this is how it play out, you would find trainers ingame that have teams made up of an intire M.Evo line including its M.Evolved form, and then you get the corresponding M.Stone. If this is an ingame feature spread put across the games region, lvls would vary. Thoughts?

18. Weavy

Weavy They call me the one who loves cats.

I personally don't care about Mega Evolution, so I wouldn't be upset if there were no new ones. Besides, they felt like fanservice to me; Charizard and Mewtwo did not deserve two Megas.

It was the gimmick of Gen 6, just like how Z moves are the Gen 7 gimmick. Gen 8 is likely going to have its own gimmick and it's likely Megas and Z moves will be pushed aside in favour of the new gimmick. Since Gen 7 didn't even have new Megas, the chances of new ones is slim, but maybe I could be wrong. If there do happen to be new Megas, I just hope they give them to Pokémon that actually need it and not Pokémon that are already good.

19. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria ☆~Shiny hunter▢~

It would be great if we get to challenge regular Trainers who use Mega Evolutions in battle or battling a Mega Evolution Expert but because it's a Gen 6 feature such things could be limited to the postgame but otherwise it's a great way to get Mega Stones without having to farm BP.

20. Sprinter1988

Sprinter1988 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I want more of these. It did feel like getting a whole new pokemon in some cases.
    It feels wrong that Mega Evolution hasn't extended to all other starters and not just the first and third generation ones.
    Also, I feel like Dragonite should have one. You could argue that its a pseudo and doesn't need it, but after Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross and Garchomp, I just feel like Dragonite got left out.
    Oh, and Flygon of course!