• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
If we do get new megas, I want to see Mega Beartic. It should gain Water as a secondary typing noting how polar bears hunt.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm not sure if it'll be a mega per say, but this guy needs a new form.
I've noticed that due to a lot of power creeping with legendaries, Arceus is about 7th down on highest base stats list of pokemon. He must be bound for a new form or a mega form of some sort to overcome this, I can't imagine they'd let Arceus be weaker than pokemon that it supposedly created.. So right now I'm thinking it's quite likely to happen, especially with the latest rumours for what the pokemon switch game will be.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
What about Mega Torkoal.

Concept: When it mega evolves its shell turns into something similar to a "Steam Engine". With its its red spots morphed into air vents. Its will be a more defensive Pokemon.

Type: Fire/Steel
Ability: Extreme Heat - The ability evapourates/melts water/rock type attacks making the Pokemon immune to them.
BTS - 70/100/150/100/150/20

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
What about Mega Torkoal.

Concept: When it mega evolves its shell turns into something similar to a "Steam Engine". With its its red spots morphed into air vents. Its will be a more defensive Pokemon.

Type: Fire/Steel
Ability: Extreme Heat - The ability evapourates/melts water/rock type attacks making the Pokemon immune to them.
BTS - 70/100/150/100/150/20

That's a +120 to BST, normally mega evolution only gives +100. And remember that base 100 in an attacking stat isn't bad, it's capable of inflicting good damage especially with Torkoal's sun boost (which it'd set up prior to mega evolution). Tapu Koko only has base 95 Sp.Atk and it hits hard with Thunderbolt thanks to Electric Surge, you're looking at those kinds of damage ranges here, only on a very bulky pokémon whose only weakness is ground attacks and with access to a base 150 power move in Eruption.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
That's a +120 to BST, normally mega evolution only gives +100. And remember that base 100 in an attacking stat isn't bad, it's capable of inflicting good damage especially with Torkoal's sun boost (which it'd set up prior to mega evolution). Tapu Koko only has base 95 Sp.Atk and it hits hard with Thunderbolt thanks to Electric Surge, you're looking at those kinds of damage ranges here, only on a very bulky pokémon whose only weakness is ground attacks and with access to a base 150 power move in Eruption.

Oh I messed up on Torkoals stats mistook its 140 DEF for 150

yeah I think your right and after rethinking I think these changes could help.

Retype the mega to Fire/Posion
Ability - Nuclear Fission - Reduces the power of water and rock types moves against the pokemon (essentially making the hits neutral)
BTS - 70/85/150/85/150/30

As for Sun boosted Eruption w/mega would only be a worry is the player brings a Trick Room strat in doubles. So a fully HP Eruption would be a worry is the opponent is unprepared.

BlackButterfree

I desperately need a Bug/Psychic Mega Butterfree with a spread of 60-15-90-120-100-110 and an ability that ups Special Attack whenever the Pokémon is struck by a super-effective move. :(

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
There are some Pokemon that gain the Dragon type upon Mega Evolution, but these Pokemon currently cannot learn Draco Meteor. This should change in the Switch games.

BBtheASH

A Fairy Specialized Trainer
Has anybody mentioned that Rapidash would be an amazing candidate for a Mega? I for one imagine it being a Fire/Fairy Type? I mean it'd make sense being a unicorn and all. boost her speed up to 120 and make her a mixed attacker? any takers?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Has anybody mentioned that Rapidash would be an amazing candidate for a Mega? I for one imagine it being a Fire/Fairy Type? I mean it'd make sense being a unicorn and all. boost her speed up to 120 and make her a mixed attacker? any takers?
Sadly, I don't think that they are making any more megas.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Asking for them to bring back Mega's after they already ditched the concept is just weird in my eyes. Z-moves allow for far more diversity in strategies and you just need 18 items and not keep on adding a new item for every new Mega Evolution.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Asking for them to bring back Mega's after they already ditched the concept is just weird in my eyes. Z-moves allow for far more diversity in strategies and you just need 18 items and not keep on adding a new item for every new Mega Evolution.
It appears that you have forgotten about the signature Z-Moves.

Luthor

While I'm not sure there will be any Megas in this game. If there are it could be a cool postgame challenge to locate them. Given the limited number of Kanto pokemon, some of these Megas could make up for the lack of Legendaries as resident powerhouses. Probably too powerful for before winning the league but as a postgame, it might be cool.

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
While I agree they may not introduce new megas with LGPE, it's not an impossible goal for Gen 8 to have them. As for these games, we may get access to the mega stones during gameplay (post Gyms or post E4). That could be fun running around Kanto/Sevii (if there)/or a new area to find them. Maybe a post game set of missions where you introduce ME to Kanto... Yeah, dreaming here.

PirateKing

It wouldnt be the first time Mega Evo's had a presence in Kanto, Origins incorporated it into the story with Mr. Fuji giving Red a Mega Ring as a reward for rescuing him from Team Rocket. They could repeat the same thing here.

Alternatively, We could get it from Team Rockets Headquartersas a replacement for the Silph Scope, since that may not have as much purpose nowadays since Ghost types are an established thing instead of exclusive to the Ghastly line, and the maybe the Ghost Marowak might be an Alolan Marowak this time around.

Either way, I do hope we get to access it at some point, and I really hope some late or postgame trainers/gym leaders/E4 use them in their arsenal

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
I had thought that all Pokémon are no longer capable of Mega Evolving or using Z-moves.
It is not yet known whether Pokemon can hold items in Let’s Go but if it is gets confirmed they cannot count on neither Mega Evolution nor Z-Moves featuring in Let’s Go.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
Heard somewhere that abilites aren't even in the game or hold items, :\ wonder if magnimite will also be a pure electric type :\

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Just something random and interesting I thought but you know what I just realized about the recent leaks reporting about the 15 mega evolutions? Three of them are Mega Evolutions based on the Pokemon that the Elite Four have. Jynx, Dragonite and Machamp. Gengar already has one. Take the leak with a grain of salt folks. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out there were no mega evolutions, as Let's Go is a game about catching over battling.

ShadowForce720

Just something random and interesting I thought but you know what I just realized about the recent leaks reporting about the 15 mega evolutions? Three of them are Mega Evolutions based on the Pokemon that the Elite Four have. Jynx, Dragonite and Machamp. Gengar already has one. Take the leak with a grain of salt folks. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out there were no mega evolutions, as Let's Go is a game about catching over battling.

Well even if they are for new Mega Evoutions the pokemon on there could still be getting something either in these games or the next as it's important to point out that back in 2012 Charizard, Blastoise ,Gengar, Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Jynx, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Mewtwo, Ampharos, Scizor, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Heracross, Gardevoir, Absol, Medicham, Banette, Latias, Latios, Aggron, Abomasnow were all trademark all of those pokemon with the exception of Jynx wound up getting a Mega Evolution in X&Y which came out in the following year.

And before someone tries to say that oh well it could be for Z-moves or for regional variants the thing is if you look it up you will notice that they didn't renewed the trademark for Mew and Snorlax for SM and pokemon like Vulpix and Ninetales which received regional variants haven't been trademarked at all, so it seems like that a pokemon getting a regional variant or Z-move isn't considered big enough for them to have their names trademarked, where on the other hand the pokemon that wind up getting Mega Evolutions wind up getting their name trademark.

Also before someone tries to argue that it means nothing and they could just be gradually renewing the trademarks, the thing is Jynx trademark doesn't expire until 2022 and yet there renewing it now even though they don't have to, and also Arbok and Weezing have never been trademark before this so chances are these pokemon are getting something.

I know the youtuber PokeSirena did a youtube video talking about the trademarks and stuff recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.