• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution I (XYSP1)

Janovy

Banned
Mewtwo X/Y could be just a cameo. I doubt they will actually play a part in these specials. They were there to show off all Mega Evos.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Not overly impressed with the episode and thus far I'm not expecting anything spectacular to come from it. However, I do believe this mysterious new stone will be for one of the Lati's, since the colours fit perfectly.. The question is, does that mean we'll be waiting until the MegaLati's reveal before we get the next act? I hope not..

why do you guys think mega mewtwo x was shown in the anime?

Because its a mega evolution and this special is all about mega evolution?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Because...

*Lights dim*

...Someone has caught a Mewtwo.

*Creepy music plays*

Trevor said in the games that he caught a Mewtwo. Trevor confirmed to defeat Lysandre.

Anyway this was a cool special to me. The battles were personally great, particularly Siebold's brawl and like the majority, the Dragon Pulse animation from MegaBlastoise was absolutely gorgeous and fierce. Manon was also a fun character to watch as well with her clumsiness. Overall I can't wait to see what Act II showcases better be Trevor's Mewtwo.

Plus the glimpse of Lysandre was fantastic too imo.

RVD_fan

His Charizard was able to relatively hold its own against an Elite 4 member. However, Elite 4 members have more than one pokemon, so it is unknown whether Alan's other pokemon (assuming he has more than Charizard) could stand up.
They could pull an Orange League final and have Ash dominate Alan's other five Pokemon and use his 4-5 remaining Pokemon to bring Mega Charizard down.

Illusio

No words, only rage
And so ends Blastoise's losing streak!

As for the episode, I can't say much in the way of the plot as I don't have the subs (though from what I'm hearing, they could've done more with Alan), but I liked the animations as they were really good in this episode. The only thing is I wish the battles were a bit longer as the three they had felt pretty short to me.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
This was a pretty alright episode. My only complaint is it didn't seem like we explored too much into the Alan character, other then he worked with Sycamore, and wants to battle all Mega Pokemon and defeat them. So Alan's got some flaws. However that's not to say he's bad. I actually like his goal, it's far more interesting then Ash's and it looks like he might be hunting Mega Stones too, maybe? This would have made for a excellent sidekick quest. The girl named Ayako...she was in this episode for like 3 minutes. I guess she's not important after all, or maybe she'll be in Act 2. Ayako was basically what I wanted Serena to be in the anime. I do like Alan's mannerisms though. Like in that restaurant when he's staring at Siebold. That was good.

But the best thing about this special wasn't Alan, or the Mega Pokemon battles. It was Manon and her Chespin. What is with XY creating these really enjoyable sidekicks? Manon stole this episode for me. Every time she was on screen it was enjoyable and fun. I think she plays off Alan's tough guy image very well. She's the Jubilee/Kitty Pride to his Wolverine. Loved Manon and I can't wait to see Act 2 because I want to see more of her tripping all over the place. Overall a good enjoyable episode. I got a break from Ash, and I will never complain about his absences in Pokemon, so that was a plus. Manon and her Chespin were a big plus. Alan's battles and his goal were a plus. But Alan's lack of depth for me is a minus. But this is his first episode. Hope to see these guys again.
I agree so much with everything you said, I'll leave a more formal review later. All I can say is I need more Manon and Alan in my life, but especially Alan! Manon even got to battle and she's pretty much everything Serena should be, battling, trying to catch Pokemon. Alan's goal is much more interesting than Ash and overall his character is fresher, fresh exposition, nice personality that isn't a typical "over-the-top" Shounen style like Cameron/Ash but not a stoic Marty-Stu-esque character like Paul. I don't mind Alan losing, it was unpredictable and it's a nice way of not over-glorifying Alan. They really did a good job showing off his flaws too! Siebold is an Elite and powerful in his own right, I hope Drasna and the others get Megas too...not sure what Drasna would use though. Mega Latias? Mega Aerodactyl? Mega Ampharos? I'm surprised Manon even got to have a battle and get her first Pokemon! I thought this would be all about Alan!

Last edited:

KidOblivion

Johto League Champ
Ahh, so the Ash bashing begins, was wondering when that would happen lol.

Also, MCharizard was clearly outclassed by Blastoise even without the Mega, I think Seibold only Mega Evolved it so he wouldn't hurt Alan's pride too much, it's not like he needed it.

I like Alan, but his goal to defeat all Megas seem kind of dry, he should take Syncamores advice and compete in the league.

Soniman

Break the Limit

Also, MCharizard was clearly outclassed by Blastoise even without the Mega, I think Seibold only Mega Evolved it so he wouldn't hurt Alan's pride too much, it's not like he needed it.

I like Alan, but his goal to defeat all Megas seem kind of dry, he should take Syncamores advice and compete in the league.

Ash bashing kinda happens with or without another MC so you just gotta roll with it tbh.

Also, Scyamore really suggested Alan enter the League? Did he turn it down or something?

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️

Ash bashing kinda happens with or without another MC so you just gotta roll with it tbh.

How was I bashing Ash? I like Ash, but Iris, Serena, Red and various other characters get criticized all the time and you never have a problem with it. For God's sake, we can like qualities in another MC over Ash. We aren't hating him, we're just comparing them. I've seen various people say they find the idea of a Pokemon Coordinator more interesting than being a Breeder for example. The funny thing is neither one of us was even criticizing Ash and you know who really got bashed? Red, when Origins aired, by various people who liked Ash. Two sides of the same coin, coming from someone who doesn't even like Red at all. Ash gets praised seven days out of the week in XY and the regular anime for goodness's sake but the small criticisms of him are honed in on 24/7. Had no clue one person in one thread comparing their goals and finding one more interesting took the wind out your sails so bad.

Apologies if this is a bit much, but I'm tired of getting dropped by people who unconditionally love Ash's character. I like Ash myself but he isn't everything about Pokemon, we can like other characters in the MC role too and compare them. Don't girls get compared 24/7 on the forums?

Last edited:

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Its about damn time Blastoise got his slice of pie...And I do believe it was indeed delicious...Exactly like I predicted too! Mega Launched Dragon Pulse, GG. It only took 17 years!

Still love you tho, MegaZard. Those vicious Dragon Claws, blue Flamethrowers and, we finally got to see Blast Burn, too. Another thing I love is how all the Pokemon wear their Mega Stones with some kind of accessory. That's a really cool way to animate the concept of item holding. Almost makes them look like some kind of royalty.

And Alan seems like a pretty cool guy. But I still think his outfit is weird looking. I swear he looks like someone I know from Beyblade...

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Despite his unfortunate loss, Alan slayed in this special in my opinion. I wish his character had a bit more depth, but it's refreshing to see a competent protagonist at least.

Soniman

Break the Limit
How was I bashing Ash? I like Ash, but Iris, Serena, Red and various other characters get criticized all the time and you never have a problem with it. For God's sake, we can like qualities in another MC over Ash. We aren't hating him, we're just comparing them. I've seen various people say they find the idea of a Pokemon Coordinator more interesting than being a Breeder for example. The funny thing is neither one of us was even criticizing Ash and you know who really got bashed? Red, when Origins aired, by various people who liked Ash. Two sides of the same coin, coming from someone who doesn't even like Red at all. Ash gets praised seven days out of the week in XY and the regular anime for goodness's sake but the small criticisms of him are honed in on 24/7. Had no clue one person in one thread comparing their goals and finding one more interesting took the wind out your sails so bad.

Apologies if this is a bit much, but I'm tired of getting dropped by people who unconditionally love Ash's character. I like Ash myself but he isn't everything about Pokemon, we can like other characters in the MC role too and compare them. Don't girls get compared 24/7 on the forums?

Oh I wasn't talking about you specifically since you explained why you preferred Alan over Ash in a fair way and I have no complaints about that really, I was speaking more of the people who praise Alan's existence for the sole reason that he's not Ash and that by extension makes him a good character and not because of his own merits, apologies if it sounded like I was snapping at you because i wasn't

RickHoenn

Banned
At 2nd watch (with subs!) it seems Mega Gyarados and Mega Abomasnow had trainers! :eek: I wonder who they are, they're definitely seem to be uber powerful trainers.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Oh I wasn't talking about you specifically since you explained why you preferred Alan over Ash in a fair way and I have no complaints about that really, I was speaking more of the people who praise Alan's existence for the sole reason that he's not Ash and that by extension makes him a good character, apologies if it sounded like I was snapping at you because i wasn't
Yes, those people can be problematic. I agree 100%. For the record I really like Ash BTW, I honestly find him pretty entertaining and fun. My only issue with him in XY is his screen time and how unbalanced it is and how his character is treated. Otherwise I've found the majority of his battles and Pokemon to be pretty good. I just wanted to clear the air a bit and explain myself because I had a feeling I would get one of those "you're bashing Ash" complaints if I posted and compared them. Ash isn't bad, I have a pessimistic view of him a good amount of the time but he's not awful. Apologies on my part as well, I imagine my Ash criticisms can be a bit annoying to read at times. I'll try to be a bit more careful in the future most definitely.

diakyu

At 2nd watch (with subs!) it seems Mega Gyarados and Mega Abomasnow had trainers! :eek: I wonder who they are, they're definitely seem to be uber powerful trainers.
Well, of course they have trainers right? They wouldn't be able to mega evolve without them. The only exception being Newtwo and that's because the movie came out before Mega Evolution was even announced.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Despite his unfortunate loss, Alan slayed in this special in my opinion. I wish his character had a bit more depth, but it's refreshing to see a competent protagonist at least.

That was my problem with Alan. Cool design, pretty cool goal to be honest, but he lacked depth. I feel like I don't know enough about him. If this mini series continues then I'll allow because they can expand on his depth later. Maybe they just wanted to grab the audience here with the Mega Pokemon battles. But to me Alan's greatest weakness is his lack of depth. And maybe he could have some more Mega Evolving Pokemon.

Fullgrizzly94

Jhoto Trainer

Maybe Lysandre testing out his new mega Gyarados...

It is mindblowing how powerful these megas are (2 mega-powered hyperbeams equal a DBZ-style explosion, and a flamethrower from Megazard X acts almost like a hyperbeam). Props to the animators!

There is no way Alan will enter the league his pokemon are elite 4 level he would crumb stomp everyone

Lol? Where do you get that the Charizard was at E4 level? At no point in the match did it look like he had the upper hand. Heck, Blastoise was holding its own even when it wasn't mega evolved.

I really liked seeing Charizard vs Garchomp. In the anime, we usually only get to see 2 powerhouses fighting by League time so it's nice to see a little preview of some quality action, especially with the new animation

What really made this episode for me was the BGM, too bad the dub will probably replace it though *sigh*

Apologies on my part as well, I imagine my Ash criticisms can be a bit annoying to read at times. I'll try to be a bit more careful in the future most definitely.

Just a bit, lol. It's nice that you're apologizing though

Soniman

Break the Limit
That was my problem with Alan. Cool design, pretty cool goal to be honest, but he lacked depth. I feel like I don't know enough about him. If this mini series continues then I'll allow because they can expand on his depth later. Maybe they just wanted to grab the audience here with the Mega Pokemon battles. But to me Alan's greatest weakness is his lack of depth. And maybe he could have some more Mega Evolving Pokemon.

I have no doubt that we will see what he has to offer if he appears more often, I didn't really expect them to flesh out his entire character in a single episode.