• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution II (XY SP3)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I don't see what's wrong with "legendary giant rock."

It sounds extremely ridiculous and something TRio would come up with.

Instead, a rock expert like Steven has absolutely no complaints about calling it like that every time he needs to. It's like calling Lucario's aura "power" all the time. Then again, Alain gets really flustered when he has sidekicks.

Last edited:
This was a pretty decent episode. I enjoyed seeing some more new Mega Pokemon.

I know these specials have no bearing on the main shows canon/on-going story line, but with Steven being in this, I was reminded of he only appeared in that one episode during the Hoenn saga.

Being the champion of Hoenn, I would have thought he would appear more often that that.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
A good sign for a good episode is always wanting more and that's exactly what I wanted here so I can't wait for the next one!

Lysandre still seems to have good intentions at this point, even though his actions at the end were questionable but we all know different :p. I do wonder when Steven will cotton on to him and try to convince Alain but that will be for another episode.

Rayquaza's appearance was certainly dramatic and just reaffirms why I like it and it's mega evolution. Also, Dragon Ascent looked brilliant!

Nice episode, can't wait to see the next act!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Hated it. Alain and Manon ruined it for me.

Pikachu52

I would call this the "edgy" version of pokemon, it also seems to be pretty well developed for a side story. Although the big question that sticks in my mind is will the 2 main pokemon philosophies cross paths and if so how?

Mega evolution and raw power vs Ash's mostly personality and friendship based style. Will Ash get a Mega on his team? Will he cross paths with Alain?

It makes interesting food for thought but I do not think that Ash really NEEDS a Mega on his team, we all know that Pikachu surely will not be evolving. (unless there was some kind of temporary super secret ultimate Pikachu form)

There aren't two main philosophies here, there is one truth - the anime has made it clear time and time again that the only way of bringing out the best in Pokémon is by friendship and kindness. Ash and Alain are both show to be kind and compassionate to their Pokémon. If Alain didn't have a strong bond with his Charizard he would never be able to get it to mega evolve. Despite Alain's cold exterior he was shown to be very loving towards Charizard, constantly cheering and supporting it in battle regardless of whether it won or lost, jumping out of the helicopter to rescue it when it got trapped in the ice and cuddling it when it was a Charmander and calling it sweet. Not to mention as a Charmander, Charizard showed a great deal of affection for Alain. I'd say there as close as Ash and Pikachu and that like Pikachu Charizard has grown to be strong because of Alain's encouragement, support and friendship.

Alain isn't Paul. Paul was little more than a pyschopath who had no empathy, acted with shelfishness and cruelty and achieved his goals via the suffering of others. Alain was serious and determined but he was shown to be a good person. He cared deeply for Charizard and even warmed and developed affection for Mairin giving her a hug after she saved him from the ice. Paul's method of raw power was shown not to work - He only beat Ash due to the inexperience of his Sinnoh Team compared to his stronger Pokémon (Ash's Charizard and Sceptile could have beaten most of Paul's Pokémon), lost spectucularly to Brandon and lost to Ash in the only battle where the result actually mattered in the league. Alain's clearly not like this.

As for Ash getting or not getting a Mega Evolution. So far it doesn't appear that it's overtly likely Ash will mega evolve one of his older Pokémon, but if he did so it wouldn't mean any form of deviation from Ash's strategy or beliefs as a trainer. Ash already has a strong bond with all his Pokémon, especially ones like Charizard and Sceptile and would be able to use mega evolution. Mega evolution doesn't work unless trainer and Pokémon have a strong bond, so it's not fair to describe it as raw power.

Last edited:

Nothingjustgo.

I like how the Japanese dub calls it Megalith...

...But we got stuck with "Legendary Giant Rock". What the hell?

It sounds like something that Little Kuriboh would write xP

wobbanut

Team Awesome
This episode was pretty good, I watched it right after the Diancie movie and before starting season 18. I liked getting to meet Lysandre and learn a bit about his purpose (at least he doesn't seem clear-cut evil), and it was interesting to learn that Alain works for him. Getting to see Steven again was nice, it was much different from his first appearance in season six. I can't wait to see his upcoming appearances, Jessie's crush on him looks hilarious. :)

7/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked seeing Steven again cuz back in AG he only got one episode and little screentime. His shiny mega Metagross was cool, plus I was glad to see Lysandre arrive as well as mega Rayquaza's rampage hee hee. ^^

Oh yeah this part of the Mega OVA! I must say that when Steven appeared I actually had to pause the episode since I was too busy freaking out. The dude hadn't made an anime appearance in 11 years and he was finally moving out of his CotD status.

About the episode, it did contain one of my favourite battles in the whole series, even if it was unfinished. Steven vs Alain was super-epic until Lysander came along, and I really got into the battle. So you can bet that when that Pyroar showed up I started pulling my hair out in frustration.

However, this part still doesn't surpass part 3. Part 3 was freakin epic.

Leonhart

Imagineer
So Alain and Manon journeyed to Houen, yet we didn't see any glimpses of familiar areas from Advanced Generation. I liked seeing Daigo own a Shiny Metagross, as well as seeing Fladelis make his proper series debut. I was underwhelmed by Rayquaza's subplot, however.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well it was good to see Alain and Mairin go to Hoenn to at least find more about Mega Evolution and to somehow better feature ORAS Mega Evolutions. But it felt quite boring that the group spent most of their time trying to find the rock and there wasn't as much battles, especially with Mega Charizard X vs Mega Metagross and the battle against Mega Rayquaza was bare bones. I also wished that Kyogre and Groudon should've been in the battle. But at least there is a better reason why Alain left behind Professor Sycamore and joined Lysandre.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Fladelis showing up was good in the sense that he was Alain's boss and he was integral to the XY saga, although I kind of wish we'd seen Aogiri and Matsubusa here as well.