• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution In-Battle Effects In The Anime

Which of these claims do you think are most likely true?

• No ME Pokémon can beat 2 of their Base form back to back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gains in net viability from ME are the same for all trainers

• Greater bond power won’t result in a greater ME boost

• Total voters

Genaller

Silver Soul
I was thinking about the net gain in viability from Mega Evolution and I realized that if we had 2 identical Pokémon (let’s call them X and Y) and X had its offensive power roughly doubled while keeping all other parameters constant then X should be able to beat Y with mid diff (wins with approximately half the number of hits and looses roughly 50% health) in the aggregate case (since before the power increase X and Y should tie in the aggregate case).

To get more concrete consider Korrina’s Base Lucario and Mega Lucario. Clemont measures the power of Mega Lucario’s Bone Rush to be roughly twice that of Base Lucario’s Bone Rush. From here we can presume that all of Lucario’s offensive moves are increased in power by the same proportion (since ME increased the “power stat” rather than the power of any specific move). If we hypothetically assumed that power was the only parameter that increased for Lucario when he MEed, then Mega Lucario should be able to beat Base Lucario with mid difficulty and be able to roughly trade even with 2 Base Lucario back to back in the aggregate case.

However, we also know for a fact that Mega Lucario is in a completely different league of speed from Base Lucario (both by visual depiction and character statemtns), so even if we assumed that none of Lucario’s other capabilities (e.g. bulk and stamina) increased (which probably isn’t true), it seems clear that Mega Lucario should definitively be able to take out 2 Base Lucario back to back.

From here if we were to assume that the net viability gains for every Pokémon upon Mega Evolving were at least on par with that of Mega Lucario’s in XY 32 (remember that Korrina used ME for the first time in this episode), then it would follow that every Mega Pokémon can beat at least 2 of its Base variant definitively in the aggregate case. I’m interested in reading what others have to say on the net gain in battle viability caused by ME, and I’m also curious about how much variance do you guys think there would be in gains for different Pokémon and different trainers (e.g. Does Korrina’s Lucario get the same boost as Gurkin’s Lucario? Does Korrina’s Lucario get an equivalent net boost to say Alain’s Charizard or Diantha’s Gardevoir? etc...) as well as what factors could contribute to that variance if it’s there (e.g. greater bond power or more expereince with ME).

I included a poll where you can select up to 4 choices concerning which claims regarding ME do you think are most likely true. Ideally you should select 1 choice from options 1 - 3, 1 from options 4 - 5, 1 from options 6 - 7 and 1 from options 8 - 9.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
1. Some base forms are powerful enough in their own right, so facing 2 in a row could easily be a problem.

2. Viability is of course going to vary. Trainers have varying levels of experience and intelligence.

3. Bond may be able to increase it. That's just a staple of anime.

4. Unlike a bond, experience won't boost power, but will teach you to use it more efficiently.

Genaller

Silver Soul
1. Some base forms are powerful enough in their own right, so facing 2 in a row could easily be a problem.
I’m specifically talking about a Mega Pokemon vs 2 of that exact same Pokémon but in Base back to back. So Korrina’s Mega Lucario vs 2 of her Base Lucario counts but something like Trevor’s Mega Charizard Y vs Ash’s Charizard doesn’t count.

2. Viability is of course going to vary. Trainers have varying levels of experience and intelligence.
I’m specifically talking about delta viability between the Base and Mega versions of the Pokémon though if that’s what you meant then fine.

Unlike a bond, experience won't boost power, but will teach you to use it more efficiently.
So would expereince with ME increase the net delta viability of the ME Pokémon relative to its Base form?