• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution IV (XY SP)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
However, now I would really like to see how well Alain's Charizard would perform in its basic form. That should help gauge more its actual level, I think.

Imo he'd be on the same level as Satoshi's most likely. I just don't see its wins as a result of Mega Evolution only: He's gotta have skills even in his ordinary form imo.

Torpoleon

Enjoyed this special, though I was surprised that Alain's Charizard was able to go through 10 battles.

By the way, I noticed in this special that Lysandre has a Mega Ring. While I'm not surprised at all that Lysandre can mega evolve one of his Pokémon, like in the games, did they show his Mega Ring when he appeared in the previous specials?

K.N.

I just hope those trainers get to come back. Surely I'm not only person who's surprised and a little annoyed that they were given such interesting, colorful designs only to be total cannon fodder. Oh sure, generic CotD designs don't cut it for people with Mega-Evolutions...but neither does going down like punks in battles we don't get to see all of either...

I definitely agree with this sentiment, I really love how they went crazy with some of the designs on the Mega Trainers. That crazy jester-looking Banette guy at the end of this episode has gotta be my favorite.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
No, you can't use two at the same time, if Charizard goes down, he should be able to use another mega.

If they follow the games, then a Trainer can Mega Evolve only one Pokémon once per battle. Say that you have an Ampharos and a Swampert with Mega Stones, so you can decide to either evolve Ampharos or evolve Swampert. However, once one of them is down, you can't use the Mega Stone to Mega Evolve anymore, not even if you used a Revive to restore the previously Mega Evolved Pokémon.

Long story short, if Charizard were to faint Alain shouldn't be able to Mega Evolve another Pokémon, unless the anime decides to break this rule for whatever reason.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
If they follow the games, then a Trainer can Mega Evolve only one Pokémon once per battle. Say that you have an Ampharos and a Swampert with Mega Stones, so you can decide to either evolve Ampharos or evolve Swampert. However, once one of them is down, you can't use the Mega Stone to Mega Evolve anymore, not even if you used a Revive to restore the previously Mega Evolved Pokémon.

Long story short, if Charizard were to faint Alain shouldn't be able to Mega Evolve another Pokémon, unless the anime decides to break this rule for whatever reason.

Fine then he'll get taken out by some random pokemon pulled out of Alain's butt, that's even worse smh....

Rohanator

I'm very glad that Alan beat an E-4, because it is likely imo that Ash will eventually put a stop to him, and that would imply that Ash himself is on E-4 level too, AKA it would mean progress has been made, and a league victory would be more likely.

Might be wishful thinking but after all these years any kind of break away from the status quo is welcome.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I'm very glad that Alan beat an E-4, because it is likely imo that Ash will eventually put a stop to him, and that would imply that Ash himself is on E-4 level too, AKA it would mean progress has been made, and a league victory would be more likely.

Might be wishful thinking but after all these years any kind of break away from the status quo is welcome.

For me, the problem with Ash in the later regions regarding the Leagues is that he never uses his best six Pokémon on the same team. He may have Charizard in one battle, Sceptile in another, Snorlax in yet a third, but he never puts those three Pokémon on the same team. If he keeps doing that, then it doesn't matter if he does win a Mega Charizard showdown with Alain, or even beats Alain's Mega Charizard X with Ash Greninja; he'll still likely lose the League because he didn't use his most powerful Pokémon at the League where his opponent would use his six most powerful Pokémon against Ash. Let's hope that he does, indeed, use his absolute best team in the Kalos League, potential Megas and all. If he does that, then he'll have a good chance of winning the League.

Rohanator

For me, the problem with Ash in the later regions regarding the Leagues is that he never uses his best six Pokémon on the same team. He may have Charizard in one battle, Sceptile in another, Snorlax in yet a third, but he never puts those three Pokémon on the same team. If he keeps doing that, then it doesn't matter if he does win a Mega Charizard showdown with Alain, or even beats Alain's Mega Charizard X with Ash Greninja; he'll still likely lose the League because he didn't use his most powerful Pokémon at the League where his opponent would use his six most powerful Pokémon against Ash. Let's hope that he does, indeed, use his absolute best team in the Kalos League, potential Megas and all. If he does that, then he'll have a good chance of winning the League.
He can beat the league with Oshawott alone if the writers so choose. I believe most of Ash's reserve Pokemon have fairly equal strength but some seem stronger because the writers simply chose to focus on them more for various reasons. I'm not one of the people who believe Ash lost to Tobias because he used "weak Pokemon", all of them were strong.

Master Quest

Let's do it
I don't know what purpose it serves to Unrealistically overpower Alain like that because if Alain has really beaten Malva fair and square then nor will him being ash's rival will make sense and neither will him participating in the pokemon league will.

I don't think writers will let ash win the league so the power gap between ash and Alain will never be closed like that.

Originally i wanted Alain to be as strong as possible so that he can be a fair rival to ash and his charizard but him beating malva negates the chances of him being ash's rival at all.

For now i am into thinking that their malva's loss to Alain was faked and unless we see some more evidence that he did really beat malva fair and square or he is near e4 level i will continue to think so.

dman_dustin

Ash needs to have his Charizard come back so Alain can see what a real Charizard can do. Also I can't with Charizard's growl, that is literally the least intimidating growl ever.

If you're referring to that one scene, that was Charizard chiding Alain, it wasn't supposed to be intimidating.

Master Quest

Let's do it
I think he meant alain's charizard's growl in general and i agree with him alain's charizard's growl does not sound intimidating at all and in fact his charizard sounds more like female.On the other hand ash's charizard growl was very intimidating.

Last edited:

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
How likely is it that Ash actually beats Alain at this point without some form of interference or DEM unless Malva was holding back which according to a poster here isn't the case?

Rohanator

How likely is it that Ash actually beats Alain at this point without some form of interference or DEM unless Malva was holding back which according to a poster here isn't the case?
The writers can pretty much do what ever they want with the power scaling of Ash Greninja so unless the concept itself is DEM for you, I'd say it'll be believable enough. Especially with some tactics involved.
Besides, if the writers have decided to finally end Ash's story you better forget his feats from older series because he's gonna be beating the E-4's and Champion anyway

(And if he beats Alan but the series still doesn't end then...welp say hello to the next Best Wishes. Let's enjoy the power while it lasts~)

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
If you're referring to that one scene, that was Charizard chiding Alain, it wasn't supposed to be intimidating.

I mean his growl when he comes out of his ball, his growl when he's about to attack, even after mega evolving etc etc...

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
As usual, this man delivers the hype. The battles were fun to watch, we finally get to see an Elite knocked down, and I do love that steady balance of calm, yet blazing determination in him.

Kinda cringed at the melodrama with Marin, though...A bit too serious for my liking, at least in how it was animated. Alain looked like he was ready to kill something.

Did the trainer with Mega Venusaur remind anyone else of Weevil Underwood?

* Is that Weevil Underwood?!??

lol, I knew I couldn't be the only one.

I wish the Mega Pinsir was his.

Last edited:

jrizza88

Meteorite
Lol @ attempts to downplay Alain's feats. Regardless of whether Malva threw the fight (why?), that doesn't change the fact that Alain's Charizard defeated 9 other megas beforehand and did serious damage to Malva's Houndoom. Keep in mind his previous performance against Siebold where Alain didn't do a shabby job. He's in the same tier as the E4. This is someone who is worthy of being Ash's big rival for the Kalos Saga.

No, there is definitely a power jump. Blastoise was taking on Zard X fine without even having to mega evolve at first.

Ablet

While I do think that Malva wasn't giving it 100% in that fight, Alan was still being portrayed to be close to E4 level since Malva still fought him a little seriously. His fight with a serious Siebold was to show his potential (Siebold admitted that even with a type disadvantage, Alan was able to corner them for part of the match) and that was still when Alan was relatively new.

Since then, Alan has thrown himself into every battle that he could (champion, primal legendaries, every mega trainer that he finds). The closing scene of Act 3 included him fighting a Mega Tyranitar for training so we can assume that he trained even more in the time that we didn't see. Also if we count the Mega previews, Alan has fought much more enemies and he has lost his fair share of battles and learned from them.

I think the strongest move of Malva's Houndoom based on its portrayal was Crunch. Crunch was strong enough to cancel out Dragon Claw. Dragon Claw was strong enough to sweep away Dark Pulse. Their Flamethrower was nearly equal. Taking that into account, once Malva saw Alan's Charizard was hurting from the Flamethrower exchange (it fought 9 battles and took a Crunch already), it ordered the use of its best move Crunch to finish it off. I think it's why she showed some surprise that Blast Burn had that much power to hurt Houndoom.

I'm of the opinion that if Alan was weak enough to be defeated by Malva who wasn't giving it 100% or if he failed against the first 9 fights, Lysandre would have just abandoned him and found someone stronger. I think the part where Malva didn't give it 100% was when she carelessly ordered the use of Crunch without knowing what Charizard's final move is. I think she expected it to be enough to defeat Alan's Charizard which was already damaged.

Crunch is a contact move, Blast Burn as it's shown destroys everything around the user so it can't be dodged up close which Mega Houndoom tried. If she was more careful and fought smarter using Flamethrower and Dark Pulse from afar, Blast Burn probably wouldn't have worked and Charizard would have lost an attrition battle since it was already tired and damaged.

nameman

No, there is definitely a power jump. Blastoise was taking on Zard X fine without even having to mega evolve at first.

It wasn't that big of a jump. Most people ignore the fact that Alain was indeed holding his own against Siebold. That should have told people that Alain shouldn't be underestimated, but some people were and are still not giving Alain the credit he deserves. His Zard is strong. It doesn't matter what Malva was thinking; a Blast Burn was able to KO her Mega Houndoom despite it not being very effective.

THAT is a measure of strength to me.

Janovy

Banned
I watched the subbed version and yeah, it seems to be a legit win, which I'm fine with, considering the amount of Mega battles Alain had and the amount of training he put in his only Pokemon.