• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution IV (XY SP)

Pikachu52

It's questionable as to how much danger Pikachu was actually in, in that scene. It's kinda odd that they added that scene to "Pika and Goliath" as it's seems inconsistent with the rest of the anime - Pokémon have taken worse hits than what Pikachu took from that Raichu and come through with less injury than that.

Personally I think Chespie being put into a seemingly irreversable coma is darker than Pikachu spending five unnecessary minutes on a ventilator. Especially since in Pikachu and Goliath, although that scene is sad and dramatic, by the next scene Pikachu is perfectly healthy. This episode ended without Chespie recovering and Alian setting off on a quest to save him so he can "see Mairin smile again."

Perhaps what I should have said is this is the first time a Pokémon has suffered a potentially fatal injury that has left them with lasting damage or from which they have not made a full recovery. The episode not only does not have a happy ending, unique for Pokémon, but leaves Mairin, a very young trainer, crushed because her partner is in a vegitative state on top of the fact that her supposed friend Alain had just cruelly pushed her away (which ironically indirectly caused Chespie to go to Zygarde's chamber where it got hurt). It's something that's certainly never been done to Ash and Pikachu or any other character from the show.

Last edited:

Perfect Zygarde

It's questionable as to how much danger Pikachu was actually in, in that scene. It's kinda odd that they added that scene to "Pika and Goliath" as it's seems inconsistent with the rest of the anime - Pokémon have taken worse hits than what Pikachu took from that Raichu and come through with less injury than that.

Personally I think Chespie being put into a seemingly irreversable coma is darker than Pikachu spending five unnecessary minutes on a ventilator. Especially since in Pikachu and Goliath, although that scene is sad and dramatic, by the next scene Pikachu is perfectly healthy. This episode ended without Chespie recovering and Alian setting off on a quest to save him so he can "see Mairin smile again."

Perhaps what I should have said is this is the first time a Pokémon has suffered a potentially fatal injury that has left them with lasting damage or from which they have not made a full recovery. The episode not only does not have a happy ending, unique for Pokémon, but leaves Mairin, a very young trainer, crushed because her partner is in a vegitative state on top of the fact that her supposed friend Alain had just cruelly pushed her away (which ironically indirectly caused Chespie to go to Zygarde's chamber where it got hurt). It's something that's certainly never been done to Ash and Pikachu or any other character from the show.

The only problem with what you're saying being the fact that Nurse Joy herself said that Chespie wasn't in any danger which means Non-fatal. With Pikachu however it was actually closer to being fatal. But if you want a different example of a Pokémon being in Near-fatal condition then there's that Ralts from the episod Do I hear a Ralt?.

Pikachu52

The only problem with what you're saying being the fact that Nurse Joy herself said that Chespie wasn't in any danger which means Non-fatal. With Pikachu however it was actually closer to being fatal. But if you want a different example of a Pokémon being in Near-fatal condition then there's that Ralts from the episod Do I hear a Ralt?.

Nurse Joy said Chespie's condition was stable and in any immediate danger but they couldn't wake it up. She was in a coma or even a vegitative state, which means it may have eventually needed artificial hydration and nutrition and possible ventilation in order to stay alive. Other risks such as secondary infection could also present themselves due to the nature of the condition. Pikachu was never actually stated to being close to death although it could be implied by the nature of the treatment it was being given - The scene was relatively unnecessary in my opinion and resolved quite quickly given how Pikachu is in the next scene. Chespie doesn't recover.

Ralts is also not the same - Nobody ever said it was dying it was just really sick. The implication was it's fever might have become life threatening had it not received treatment reasonably quickly. Either way both the Ralts and Pikachu episodes end on a happy with both Pokémon making a full recovery. This episode leaves Chespie's fate Unknown.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It was obvious Malva let Alain win, there is no way he could take her down. She and Lysandre didn't seem the least bit surprised, would they really let him lose and get him off their side?

And putting Chespie in a coma was just a cheap way of getting Mairon out of the XYZ action.
3/10

MunnAy

SRS AmourShipper
Since this was the last aired episode in America why isn't XY&Z airing here yet? I know it's sort of unrelated but please answer!

Torpoleon

Since this was the last aired episode in America why isn't XY&Z airing here yet? I know it's sort of unrelated but please answer!
There's usually a short break between seasons and the Ash VS Olympia battle was the last episode of season 18, excluding this special. This episode (as Season 19's premiere episode) will probably air sometime in January or February because that's when new seasons have started lately.

Pikachu52

It was obvious Malva let Alain win, there is no way he could take her down. She and Lysandre didn't seem the least bit surprised, would they really let him lose and get him off their side?

And putting Chespie in a coma was just a cheap way of getting Mairon out of the XYZ action.
3/10

That's what I thought. It seems somewhat inconsistent or unbelievable for Alain to loose to Siebold, another member of the elite four who is as strong as Malva and then go on to beat Malva as decisively as he did in this episode. Especially when it's implied not much time has passed between this episode and the first Mega Evolution special. A least no longer than Ash has been in the Kalos region.

The question becomes whether or not it will ever be stated by Malva that's what happened. The anime has been relatively inconsistent with the strength and abilities of Pokémon before. The only thing that gets me is why she did so in the first place. I assumed that Malva purposively lost out of pity for Alain, I didn't think she and Lysandre were in it together. If they were what was the point of putting Alain through that challenge.

As for Chespie - It's possible Chespie may recover in a future episode. It would be terrible to leave her character on such a sad note.

Perfect Zygarde

Nurse Joy said Chespie's condition was stable and in any immediate danger but they couldn't wake it up. She was in a coma or even a vegitative state, which means it may have eventually needed artificial hydration and nutrition and possible ventilation in order to stay alive. Other risks such as secondary infection could also present themselves due to the nature of the condition.

Except all of that is a side effect and not actually part of what happened to him in this special so it doesn't count towards you being right. I also have another example of a Pokémon receiving a near life threatening injury. What happened to Arceus in the 12th movie. If you argue against that than you're just in denial.

LizardonX

Banned
The dub wasn't bad IMO. Animation was pretty good, dragon claw OP.

I'm pretty suprised Marin is considered Alan's loved one. Wonder if they'll get together after Ash and Decepticon zygarde take down team flare.

Chespie being sent into a coma is probably the saddest moment in the entire XY anime.

The ending scene with smiles feels so hollow compared to the Japanese version. Especially if you've been keeping up with the new Yugioh series.

That bit at the end tho.

Sometimes I'm Alan (pissed AF)
Sometimes I'm Manon (crying into oblivion)
Sometimes I'm nurse joy (actually doing something)
Sometimes I'm Platane (forced to be the emotional pillow)
Sometimes I'm Lysandre (who gives a s**t my plan's working)

And sometimes I am Daigo, who doesn't know what the f**k is going on.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Watching Alain struggle in this special made me somewhat sympathetic toward him. His desire to help Manon made him seem noble for once instead of just stoic and distant, although he was silly for not realizing just how much he was being manipulated by the Flare-dan.

This is a good special episode. It's enjoyable to receive a break from Ash sometimes. The battles between Mega Evolved Pokemon were intense, as expected. I thought it was too much to have Alain defeat ten opponents successively, because it makes him and his Mega Charizard X a bit too overpowered and resilient, but he's still a character who's story I'm sorta invested in.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Blast Burn KOing Mega Houndoom was definitely something, though because of an ineffective move being used to KO an opponent. I also found it ironic that Alain stated that Houndoom is a Fire-type even though he used ineffective moves against it. I kinda wished that some of the battles were shown for a bit more and that it was not only that the KOs were shown. Squishy and Chespin falling into a coma were also something.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
I thought it was too much to have Alain defeat ten opponents successively, because it makes him and his Mega Charizard X a bit too overpowered and resilient, but he's still a character who's story I'm sorta invested in.

His win streak was reasonable given all that we had seen him accomplish thus far, although I did temporarily question if Pachira took the fall on purpose.

Daizy

I call you honey
I didn't like Alain vs Malva because by now Alain winning was expected and Malva losing made her status as an E4 member seem shaky.

Genaller

Silver Soul
It was implied she tossed the match for last once she heard him out.

And even if he did lose, it's pretty obvious Lysandre wouldn't cast him aside so easily.
Yeah no Malva was legitimately trying to win that match and even explicitly has Houndoom go for the finishing blow not to mention that she seems genuinely impressed by how powerful Blast Burn was. Alain winning is simply meant to showcase his progression since he couldn’t beat an E4 in ME Act 1 but could in ME Act 4. Given how the E4 have been portrayed in the anime as practically unbeatable against any trainer that isn’t a regional champion, Alain’s accomplishment in this episode is 1 of the most ground breaking feats in the anime till date and should rightfully be acknowledged as such.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Yeah no Malva was legitimately trying to win that match and even explicitly has Houndoom go for the finishing blow not to mention that she seems genuinely impressed by how powerful Blast Burn was. Alain winning is simply meant to showcase his progression since he couldn’t beat an E4 in ME Act 1 but could in ME Act 4. Given how the E4 have been portrayed in the anime as practically unbeatable against any trainer that isn’t a regional champion, Alain’s accomplishment in this episode is 1 of the most ground breaking feats in the anime till date and should rightfully be acknowledged as such.

That or Malva is weaker than Siebold, which is a possibility.

Genaller

Silver Soul
That or Malva is weaker than Siebold, which is a possibility.
Could be though I doubt it’s by much (even the weakest E4 would be competitive with the strongest E4 since they’re all “master lvl” trainers). What also needs to be considered is that Mega Charizard X had massive stamina drain (note that stamina is different from health) from facing 9 previous Mega Evolutions making it far more susceptible to damage and despite healing between some battles we know it wasn’t at full health prior to facing Malva since we see visible bruise marks on Charizard after beating the 9th Mega Pokémon. It’s hard to overstate just what a monster Mega Zard X proved itself to be and when we factor in that Alain’s motivation to get stronger grew much larger still after learning about what happened to Chespie, I can say with full confidence that by the Kalos League Alain’s Mega Charizard X was the strongest non-Champion Mega Ace trainer Pokémon in existence. For a better understanding of just how insane MC-X’s aggregate growth rate was, watch Alain vs Remo in ME Act 1 and then watch their fight in the Kalos League. In ME Ace 1 Mega Garchomp gives MC-X a pretty good fight with MC-X both bruised and panting by the end of it whereas in the Kalos League Mega Charizard X stomps Mega Garchomp with negligible difficulty and this was after Remo mentions that him and Garchomp have gone through “rigorous” training since the first loss. MC-X’s power surge throughout XY is admittedly kind of ridiculous though at the same time undeniable given the evidence in the anime.