• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution IV (XY SP)

Master Quest

Let's do it
I think what likely happened is

Malva must have faked to loose to Alain just to let him win the bet.

Because i don't see how will writers let an elite 4 member loose just like that.

MattySadler

Did the trainer with Mega Venusaur remind anyone else of Weevil Underwood?

LizardonX

Banned
This episode was amazeballs.

10/10

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Even if her loss was legitimate (and again, given how smug Malva seemed throughout I question if it was) you guys are missing one important detail.

Alain has only ONE pokemon! Malva and Ash don't.

That he could train one to beat a single one of an Elite 4's pokemon is impressive but its not going to make him as good as someone who can get a team of pokemon or more to that level. It doesn't make one a pokemon master so much as a mega Charizard X master.

A pokemon master is not what Alain is interested in either, he wants his single Charizard to match any other single mega evolved pokemon.

Besides, not all the Elite 4 are equal. Recall how disappointing that one Bug master was in the anime.

Course its not like this will matter if/when Ash and Alain battle since it will most likely be one vs. one, I'm just saying their trainer types are not all that comparable.

<><><>

As a final note, having Elite 4 suffer legitimate losses to non Elite 4/Champion members obviously happens in the anime, just not often and we haven't seen it. If it didn't happen then that whole "Champion League" Cynthia mentioned would be rather futile for the challengers (as I recall it grants one the right to challenge Elite 4 members, but there's no sign one loses their position if they lose a battle).

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Why do I think Malva let Alain win just to keep him around helping them? I really can't see this as a honest defeat unless we see translations or more episodes. It's just too good of a miracle to see an E4 member being defeated like that.

So why was Alain furious? That's important.

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Cannot handle this awesomeness
Holy Arceus this epppppppp

All Mega Evolutions were amazing but this one was just above everything, and combined with XY&Z 001 they made a perfect special.

Last edited:

Absketchum

Alan using a berry to cure poisoning and using potions to heal charizard.. top kek..
I dont understand japanese but it was a oneside episode..

Seijiro Mafuné

Diogomainardista!
So why was Alain furious? That's important.
He's trying to grow stronger so he can protect the things he cares about - Prof. Plant and Mairin. But while he was busy getting stronger - and having told her basically 'I won't get any stronger if I'm with you' as his last words - her Pokémon is in a coma. It's not that it's his fault, but he knows Chespie was okay when he last saw it.

He's Angry because he feels like failed her. It's why he's so decided to fix things himself, and alone, and even why he didn't even reveal himself. A standard shonen response, overall.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
It was a set up in my opinion. During the battle, Malva didn't even appear to be serious at all, both at the start and even losing. If a Japanese could translate it for us, that'd be more clear. But, it is more like Malva and Lysandre wanted Alain to clear the challenge to prove his strength and keeping them in their side to eliminate the obstacles they will have during Operation Z.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It was a set up in my opinion. During the battle, Malva didn't even appear to be serious at all, both at the start and even losing. If a Japanese could translate it for us, that'd be more clear. But, it is more like Malva and Lysandre wanted Alain to clear the challenge to prove his strength and keeping them in their side to eliminate the obstacles they will have during Operation Z.

They were surely going to drop him out if he hadn't won in the ninth battle. The tenth fight was just a small test of assurance before they knew, "Ahh, this reliable boy is too stupid to tell he'll be used every minute. He's in."

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
They were surely going to drop him out if he hadn't won in the ninth battle. The tenth fight was just a small test of assurance before they knew, "Ahh, this reliable boy is too stupid to tell he'll be used every minute. He's in."

I can't wait to see how much they take advantage of him before he realizes what's going on. It looks like he may be a sort of antihero for most of the arc, at least it seems like it to me.

KidOblivion

Johto League Champ
Irking feeling that Malva was holding back here, since she seemed interested in his and Manons relationship. Of course, I can be wrong. Either way, cool to see an E4 member lose.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

I think they wouldn't dump him out, but the anime made it perfectly clear that he would reach the ninth battle anyway as we expected for a Malva vs. Alain battle. I think what is more important is that, if Alain would have lost since his main aim is to be the strongest trainer and beating all mega he faces, he would be discouraged and might disappear to keep getting stronger, which eventually would ruin the Lysandre's plan. They are aware of Alain's power.

They came up with a plan and let Malva lose, since he would not only clear the challenge but also beat an Elite 4. The rest is keeping Alain on their side, encouraging him with his power and eventually using him in their operation.

K.N.

I really liked seeing the item use in this episode. Weird thing to like I guess, but I don't think I've ever seen them used this much and in pretty much the same context you'd use them in game. Just one of those little things.

I don't think Malva intentionally threw the fight, but it was pretty obvious she was toying with him a lot of the match- but I guess the point is that if he can beat Malva, even if she's not going 100%, it's an impressive enough display.

And yeah, Alain's really losing it, loved the crazy anime face they gave him at the end.

Seijiro Mafuné

Diogomainardista!
Yeah, she wasn't surprised enough to count as a show of power he definitely did not have. Considering the whole purpose of the match-up was to get Alan to focus a little more on his emotions too [their conversation went a bit along the lines of 'so do you still think only the Pokémon's strength matters?' 'no, the trainer's strength matters too], it certainly was within their expectations.

I don't think it's a problem for Megazard to be stronger than Megadoom, anyway. Aside from it not being an easy fight anyway, it's a different match-up from Siebold, whose Megatoise has the type advantage. And of course, defeating *one* Pokémon in a one-on-one, even if a Mega [which is nearly Legendary in power as far as the animé cares to display], is not the same as a proper Elite match.

SceptileFan

I AM RACCOON MAN
what's Alain's deal by the end of the episode? He looked like he was getting unstable.

I was wondering that too. I figured he'd be upset that Chespin is sick, but why is he so angry? It looks like he's just going on a rampage at the end, but why???

EDIT: I have only seen Serebii's pictures and not watched the episode, so I have no dialogue to go off of.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don’t have much to say about Act 4 other than I’m shocked and pleased that Alain slayed Malva. Also, I cackled at the hospital scenes: I felt that I was watching a soap opera.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
so Alain beat Malva? In your face Ash, that is what a good trainer looks like, but in all serious this episode looks fun can't wait for the English dub.
and yes I am aware that there is a chance that Malva took it easy on him