• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution VS Gigantamax! (1175)

TheNewGuy

Some of the animation here was very enjoyable. Some good strong visuals during the Machamp/Lucario fight. The climactic struggle was really strong, and I like how Machamp survived past Maxing.

Sirfetch'd forced her to switch her ace which is something I guess?

I'm so ready for Ash vs. Cynthia man jesus christ I haven't anticipated a battle this much since the final against Gladion or the match with Paul

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Sirfetch'd forced her to switch her ace which is something I guess?

I'm still having a hard time believing that Machamp was her Ace, while it did put Lucario on the defensive last week at the start, once sirfetch'd came in it couldn't do much and was forced to be withdrawn, and then later on despite G-maxing, it could hardly slow Mega Lucario down at all.

If they wrote and stated it as her Ace simply due to the gimmick alone (which really seems to be the case here) that's pretty stupid if you ask me.

Grapploct will always be her "True" ace in my opinion since it actually proved to be a threat in all of ash's fights with the thing, and it beat Pikachu twice without resorting to gimmicks at all.

Kaye Cruiser

Man, I sure am glad that I don't give a **** about Sirfetch'd, cause I don't know what you guys were all expecting to happen here. lol

That said, I thought the way it battled was very impressive and cool looking and wasn't too bother by how it went down. THe Shield boomerang manuever was sick, too. Pikachu's knockout is what threw me off. That felt WAY too quick and easy just to bring Lucario out, but Lucario came out like a boss and cleaned house in a satisfying way for me, so I was good with that. I felt like Lucario already proved it's superiority over octopus last episode and had the setup for facing Machamp as the final challenge instead already. The XY&Z fanboy in me was loving the Ash and Lucario synchro move moments, I can't lie. Makes me wanna see him juggle Mega Lucario and Ash-Greninja at the same time.

I admittedly only care about PIkachu, Lucario and Dragonite out of Ash's current team and would be fine if the othr three got swapped for old mons, so I'm pretty easy to please and am probably the target audience for this kind of writing. I've pretty much only ever cared about the big focus mons of the groups in these series, though. lol

Last edited:

Kungfu-Bear

My personal thoughts: (sorry for the long text, i don't visit here so often so I throw my opinions all at once)
(+) Ash screaming "Mega Shinka!" for the first time, better late than never i think
(+) Sirfetch'd throwing it's shield like a beyblade was a cool move
(+) Solid animation with vibrant colors and good soundtrack during climax
(+) Battle didn't end with Dynamax

(+-) I'm actually satisfied to see Sirfetch'd losing without defeating anyone. Maybe that's just me but I just don't like to see a relatively newly captured Pokémon performing exceptionally in a battle so high in the world ranking, unless it's a "OP from factory" like Dragonite. This isn't Pokemon League. IMO Sirfetch'd's time to shine is gone. If he didn't get enough then blame the writers/producers. In my view Sirfetch'd losing in this fight w/o beating anyone wasn't wrong, Sirfetch'd being particularly chosen for this fight was the mistake, even though the choice of Sir over Dnite was explicitly explained by Korrina
(+-) Why was Night Slash a white lightning? Nice sound effect though
(+-) Wasn't it easier for Pikachu to just try to dodge Sky Attack? Pikachu is pretty fast. That was too risky

(-) The way Grapploct was defeated I thought I heard the writer's voice saying "Let's just get rid of this already"
(-) Why did Ash tell Pikachu to use QAtk against the octopus? It's extremely dangerous to face it up close range and he knows it. Also, when Grapploct threw Pikachu into the air, wasn't there a chance for him to use Thunderbolt or Electric Web?
(-) I don't think Gigantamax and Mega Evolution are on the same power level as this episode tried to make it look like (how did Luke tank that Gmax attack?), especially if the cocky dwarf has a type disadvantage and has already taken a good amount of damage. As much as I like the David vs Goliath trope, this fight took it to a whole new level in not exactly a good way imo

I don't know what to think about Steel Beam yet but whatever I guess. For me the battle was fine, I was never a big fan of Bea battles to begin with. Ash now can finally move on with a new rival (because having multiple recurring rivals is forbidden in this season).

Feelitstill23

Man, I sure am glad tha I don't give a **** about Sirfetch'd, cause I don't know what you guys were all expecting to happen here. lol

That said, I thought the way it battled was very impressive and cool looking and wasn't too bother by how it went down. THe Shield boomerang manuever was sick, too. Pikachu's knockout is what threw me off. That felt WAY too quick and easy just to bring Lucario out, but Lucario came out like a boss and cleaned house in a satisfying way for me, so I was good with that. I felt like Lucario already proved it's superiority over octopus last episode and had the setup for facing Machamp as the final challenge instead already. The XY&Z fanboy in me was loving the Ash and Lucario synchro move moments, I can't lie. Makes me wanna see him juggle Mega Lucario and Ash-Greninja at the same time.

I admittedly only care about PIkachu, Lucario and Dragonite out of Ash's current team and would be fine if the othr three got swapped for old mons, so I'm pretty easy to please and am probably the target audience for this kind of writing. I've pretty much only ever cared about the big focus mons of the groups in these series, though. lol
i was hoping for some sirfetch'd redemption

Kaye Cruiser

i was hoping for some sirfetch'd redemption
I couldn't even remember there being something to redeem cause I'll be honest, I sure forgot Bea even had a Hawlucha. It's been a year or two since the last fight with her and it didn't exactly do a lot in that battle to stand out to me. I just remember Riolu's battle.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Yeah the damage accumulates, we see him visually exhausted and struggling to keep going. These aren’t the games, Pokémon aren’t as fragile or as much of glass cannons as they usually are in the games. Ash-Greninja got hit by TWO Leaf Storms by a Mega Sceptile and still managed to keep going. Just like Mega Lucario, it blocked one of them with its arms as opposed to spikes, so the damage was reduced. You can’t scream plot armor when the battle is following the same rules as the recent series.

But I’m not here to convince you guys. I enjoyed the episode very much and only battle related issue I have is the Dynamax timer since I don’t believe that was ever established in universe
I already adressed AG. It took ONE attack full on and and ONE that was parried, that’s within limits and believable enough.

It’s not ****ing 10+ attacks all together, including a max move and a super effective g-max move that got tanked by plot armor, then finally topped off with a move that drains the usef AFTER all that nonsense. This, when it’s teammate went down with only 1 good hit in the same episode.

Not all of Ash's pokemon outside of Lucario losing to the same exact pokemon they lost to last time showing that he learned absolutely nothing lol.

This battle was a mess, the bird is a unnecessary mess and exactly what I said would happen has happened, as long as Ash has a Lucario, the inferior fighting type isn't going to do anything of substance, this is why Ash needed a new type and not a repeat.

God I can't remember the last time Ash had a decent battle where I was like holy crap this was great, I know it hasn't been in Journey's though.
Ash vs Guzma?

Ash vs Sawyer in the Kalos League

DP Ash was ALWAYS consistent (except when Pikachu tied Elekid lol)

Meh episode. RIP Sirfetch’d. Lucario beat its main rival while Greninja couldn’t.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Well, so much to my theory of gaining a Steel-typing cutting Lucario's life shorter against Bea. Not only did it do so well enduring everything thrown at it and pretty much being a Mega Evolution prodigy, it learned a move right at the end (a MOVE Tutor move, mind you) to finish things.

MC status is sure a very unbelievable and cheap game card in this anime...or very particularly prominent in this saga.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
apparently ash didn’t learn his lesson from last time because he told pikachu to use thunderbolt again while, he was under octo-lock
He was likely going to pull off the same detonation technique with Pikachu that Riolu used to escape but Saito caught on and put the match away before that.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Ash: has two fights where he learns that getting in close with Grapploct is a bad idea

Also Ash: tells his pokemon to get close to Grapploct, then acts surprised when they get ensnared a third time

Also REAL dick move to tell Pikachu to relax and submit to Grapploct, shortly followed by it getting brutalized by Close Combat