• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolution VS Gigantamax! (1175)

Risrhayne

Damn. People complain a lot.

So what did you guys actually like about this episode?
I like that Bea is hopefully gone now. I hated her as a rival to Ash since it felt like she was the rival simply because he lost to her, not because he needed to prove anything to her. Her not remembering his name was treated more like a joke than an actual point of contention.

I’m personally more of a fan of Ash having jerk rivals because it feels all the more satisfying when he finally pummels them. Ash was sharing sweets with Bea by the end of their second battle. Sure, it’s great sportsmanship, but there’s something so off about Lucario and Grapploct adorably-eating sweets while remembering the time Riolu took a Liquidation to the face and was promptly dropped on their head.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Now it suddenly learns a move, it cant by leveling up, against Regular Machamp and not Gigantamax Machamp.

how is that any different from say Pikachu learning volt tackle which is an egg move?

If a pokemon can legit learn a move, then regardless of how it's obtained if the writers want to give it to Ash's pokemon then it can get it.

Machamp: Bae's main Pokemon. I find it underwhelming imo. I liked the previous episode when it bearhugged Lucario with its 2 arms & punch with the other 2 arms. In this episode its mostly throwing its fists even in Gigantamax form which doesn't last long. A shame really because being familiar with Mortal Kombat, especially Goro, they could have do it more with this 4 armed Pokemon.

They can say Machamp was her ace or main all they want, but it really doesn't feel like it deserved that title to me, and it really only feels like they called it her main/ace just because of it's ability to gigantamax which wasn't enough to turn the tide.

I don't consider it her ace though, it didn't even get a win.

Watching Sirfetchd lose with no redemption was rough, especially as Lucario got his from beating Grapploct.

Well it wouldn't be the first time, Staravia for example never got revenge on Gardenia's Turtwig after it got one shotted in their first battle, sure it did some damage in the second battle but it got beaten again.

not all roads lead to redemption sadly.

I gotta be honest though, knowing that it was Sky Attack that defeated Sirfetch'd...if took the strongest flying attack to be knocked out, that's not exactly bad in a way.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Im not that upset that Sirfretch and Gangar only lose.
We barely get to see them on screen, ye alone battle......
So I am ok with it

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Actually not an essay time:
Lucario learning Steel Beam was... I would say unexpected, but it's a gen 8 move so I guess within the realm of possibility given Ash has a Steel-type and it being the winning move in a Galar episode is appropriate imo, and I liked that we saw a D/G-Max pokemon revert to normal before being defeated, though it completely slipped my mind that three turns had passed during that clash. To be fair, I felt that Grapploct was more Bea's ace than Machamp. Sure Machamp can G-Max, but at the same time, Grapploct is a Gen 8 'mon and was the species Ash had to build new strats around and even then having Lucario take it out after losing and then tie-ing with it previous, shows how much it had grown since the first fight. Sirfetch'd being the fall guy was disappointing to see, but it did put up somewhat of a decent fight, even using its shield as a weapon for Brutal Swing, completely on brand for Ash.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Actually not an essay time:
Lucario learning Steel Beam was... I would say unexpected, but it's a gen 8 move so I guess within the realm of possibility.
No Pokemon can learn that move naturally. Only through a move tutor. So, it was cheap and really random.

And people want to believe that Iris taught Ash's Dragonite her move as she does in the games, unless that happened to be a big coincidence the writers didn't link to.

UglyToast

I watched the episode and I have some issues with it :
1. Sirfetch'd went down really fast, basically the new Noivern of the team I guess?
2. Lucario took out Grapploct WAY too easily, Idc If it had some damage Pikachu, it felt like a forced down to me.
3. Lucario managing to stop two of the Max attacks with using Aura Sphere at first one, later blocking them with their arms, that was pretty silly and shouldn't be possible.

Upsides of this episode :
1. Lucario learning Steel Beam.
2. Bea taking the loss like a champ and fistbumping Ash, that felt sweet (not to mention she carried her Machamp when it fainted, like Guzma did in SM)

My ratings for this episode is 7/10 and I don't know what to feel about next few episodes.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
You know, grapploct just used close combat on pikachu before fight lucario. The attack that drastically reduces the user’s defense. I’d be surprised if the damn octopus wasn’t floored in one hit.

It’s probably only me, but, I have a problem with how aloof and fluctuating is Bea’s character. She alternated between bluntness, arrogance and methodical with a sweet side. I don’t know if I’d consider her layered or just a character the writers were putting random traits to justify the four episodes she had to her “rivalry” with Ash.

She basically didn’t care about him as a rival until this two parter. Considering all, it was a good battle, but, yeah, I’m more happy this “rivalry” ended, after all.

Last edited:

Gale_

Why does Ash even have half of his team members if all they do is sit on their tail feathers for months on end, only to show up just to lose? All Sirfetch'd did in the half a year since it evolved was open a letter. This battle was terrible, and it's frustrating how much Journeys manages to irritate me on a regular basis. That's never happened before. Christ, I'm turning into Zoruagible.

This so much. My mind basically shut off when Sirfetch'd got knocked out and I lost interest in the battle. I'm honestly confused as to why Ash even caught it in the first place. I really hate how my favorite Galar mon keeps getting done dirty. This could have been a 2 vs 3 battle and nothing would have changed. I never hated a Pokemon series before, but Journeys is doing a good job of it.

The Lucario vs Machamp battle wasn't even that good....

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
No Pokemon can learn that move naturally. Only through a move tutor. So, it was cheap and really random.

And people want to believe that Iris taught Ash's Dragonite her move as she does in the games, unless that happened to be a big coincidence the writers didn't link to.

they've been having pokemon learn moves they can't learn through normal means since the early days some moves they aren't even supposed to have at all, so I don't see why that's such a problem now.

Pikachu learning Volt Tackle, a move that requires breeding is cheaper than this honestly.

D

Deleted member 384931

they've been having pokemon learn moves they can't learn through normal means since the early days some moves they aren't even supposed to have at all, so I don't see why that's such a problem now.

Pikachu learning Volt Tackle, a move that requires breeding is cheaper than this honestly.
No matter how cheap, as long as it attracts views.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Enjoyed the episode.

Positives:
1. Sir Fetch’d. I don’t care that he didn’t get a W, but I also don’t see the L as jobbing. He still contributed to the battle by putting Bea into a position where she had to withdraw her Machamp and save it for later.
2. Counter Shield returns. I’m glad to see Ash dust off a variation of his DP-era strategy and use it in this battle. A Thunderbolt Counter-Shield would have been more effective, but it probably would have shortened the battle even more.
3. The animation looked great for the most part, and I enjoyed seeing the massive scale difference between G-Max Machamp and Mega Lucario. Mega Lucario’s transformation was beautifully done as well.

Negatives:
The only thing I’m marking as a negative is the Grapploct portion of the battle. It felt off, like they had to get through this part to get to the Mega vs. GMax battle but didn’t want to put any time into it. If anyone deserves being called a jobber, it’s Pikachu during this phase of the battle.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
How did it end? First, Bea finally stated that she would face Satoshi again sometime.
That's a death sentence to say that pretty much makes a trainer obsolete to fight ever again unless it's a contest rival, which have gone extinct. At best, Bea has been set up to lose spectacularly against a champion or Raihan in order for Ash to believe they'll be harder to beat than Bea (i.e. the same down to the last Pokemon bout).

Why would people/the writers want to see Ash winning again or losing big against Bea, which would render his only win against her pointless? The writers already made a three-episode arc to take her down. Any more would be stale. Had he lost against her ala Paul at Lake Acuity, another fight would have been justified.

Last edited:
How did it end? First, Bea finally stated that she would face Satoshi again sometime. Secondly, Bea is still attending the PWC, so there is still a chance that they will have to face each other again.
I can't see how bea would come back... why couldn't Pokémon writers use Bede this time?