• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Gallade Team- Triple

imran3

Nothing much...
Thank you for my viewing my set. Today, here I have, is a set that focuses on the UU or RU Mega Gallade. But wait! This is Triples, so I should put this guy as dependant. Feel free to browse through this set.

Left Side) Talonflame, @Shell Bell
Ability- Gale Wings
Nature- Adamant
EVs- 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Spd

Moveset:
Brave Bird
Tailwind
Flare Blitz
Roost

So you see here, Talonflame's role is to set up Tailwinds and take away fast pokes with Brave Bird. Shell Bell gives longevity. Flare Blitz hits through Steels and Roost is to heal HP and survive some Flying weaknesses.

Center) Smeargle @Focus Sash
Ability- Moody (This could be changed as it's banned)
Nature- Timid
EVs- 252 Spd, 252 HP, 4 Def
*0 Attack IVs recommended

Moveset:
Dark Void (Obviously)
Beat Up
Heal Pulse
King's Shield

This is your standard Smeargle that you'll see. Dark Void is to put threats to sleep. Beat Up feeds Gallade with +6 Attack at a very low HP cost, Heal Pulse heals anyone in need and King's Shield is to wall physical attackers.
[This guy could change into Whimsicott or something else]

Right Side) Gallade @ Galladite
Ability- Justified ---> Inner Focus ---> ?
Nature- Adamant
EVs: Pretty mixed up here, 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Spd

Moveset:
Drain Punch
Knock Off
Skill Swap
Psycho Cut

This is my Megallade set carved out of pure love for this 2 shield-ish sword wielding knight. In the first round, it takes the +6 attack boost and hits forward with anything it wants... literally, as long as it's not ineffective or you're not facing a Mega Slowbro. Drain Punch seeps any lost health back in, Knock Off removes Sashes and etc. Psycho Cut is just there for STAB hits.
Skill Swap is the gimmick, if necessary. It wrecks Mega Mawile and gets yet another huge boost to it's attack.
[I could change this guy... or not.]

I need to go now. The other 3 aren't really part of the gimmick but I could use some partner suggestions. Eg. Greninja, Garchomp and Togekiss.

imran3

Nothing much...
Bump!

It's been 5 days... anyone mind replying?

ho-oh tajra

Brazilian Trainer
I can but I admit I didn't play triples enough to give solid rating on triple teams, yet it is better than nothing, right?

Left Side : Talonflame

Alright, Talonflame with Shell Bell, hmmm.
All the following examples uses Brave Bird and your build as reference.
If you are against a bold Milotic you heal 19 HP when you use a Brave Bird (not taking up the recoil damage or Marvel Scale).
If you are against an impish Mew you heal 19 HP as well.
If you are against impish Gliscor you heal 14 HP.
If you are against an eviolite bold Chansey you heal 30 HP.
If you are against a calm Wobbuffet you heal 26 HP.
If you hold the Leftover instead you will heal 22 HP.
While it may seem that on average you will be healing the same as with Leftover, Leftover allows you to heal up some HP at Tailwind and Roost turns too, which can be vital in a battle, I am not a big fan of Shell Bell anymore but it was one of my favorite items back on gen 3.
Also concider Heat Wave for Talonflame instead of Flare Blitz, it helps with surviving and is a spread move.

Center : Smeargle

Prankster Taunt users in theory will stop you dry, so you might want to use the Mental Herb to prevent that.
Also, if you are battling against the AI, the AI will target who has less defense most of the time (like at the Battle Masion) so I am unsure if this set will work at triples, what I often see is Mat Block Greninja instead. You can also use Choice Scarf but it rather messes up your set. I don't think Smeagle will work too good with the spread moves spam, but I could easily be wrong.

Whimsicott is a passive, yet useful pokémon, it has Encore, Memento and Switcheroo, all awesome moves with Prankster. It also learns Tickle and Thunder Wave, which is cute. The list includes Beat Up as well, so it's a sound choice over your Smeagle.

Right Side : Gallade @ Galladite

Knock Off doesn't stop Focus Sash as far I know.
Skip Swap doesn't sound too good, to be honest... since you may risk just getting killed by mega Mawile (without Huge Power, Play Rough does at least 85% without any ATK EV...). So I would change it for something else like Close Combat, Leaf Blade, Night Slash, X-Scissor, Wide Guard, the list goes on.
Wide Guard can save your team from the spread spam, and Talonflame is weak to Rock Slide and Surf, so it might be something to add, Beat Up with Tailwind and Dark Void already seem like a lot of "luck based" moves, for me at least, I wouldn't use Dark Void on Smeagle, like I pointed out but that is just me.

Concider Pachirisu over Togekiss for a Follow Me set (if that was what you had in mind), with Volt Absorb it helps you covering Talonflame's eletric weakness.
Garchomp is on a similar boat, with Focus Sash and Earthquake, Rock Slide and Dragon Claw, it is always a solid team mate.
Greninja, like pointed already, is a great pokémon for triples thanks to its Mat Block move and great coverage all over the place, it can easily fit your team very well.
Hope it helped, if you want we can discuss the other three in more details.

imran3

Nothing much...
Thank you ma'am.

Shell Bell or Leftovers, both are good. And so I should make it Brave with same EVs. And an odd HP for stealth rock resistance. Is Steel Wing good to handle rocks?

Whimsicott it is. The stats on Smeargle are simply... horrible. But which item could be on Whimsicott. Smeargle Heal Pulse isn't needed as Gallade and Talonflame can restore themselves. My friend told me Smeargle's Taunt Bait.

Gallade without Skill Swap is useless. Imma switch to something like Mega Luke who resists this Beat Up.

Should I send out Greninja instead of Talonflame? I have one prepared for other purposes, but it feels a little mainstream...

Garchomp is awesome and I don't need ParaFlinch much anyways. SO I'll see if I can switch to Pachirisu... and make it my MASCOT!!! Thank you for the tips. I can sweep with swag :D

This technique got me 15 ragequitters out of 41 matches and about 7 losses. The losses were due to non-Ubers and the ragequitters all used Mega Ray and I Drain Punch OHKOd it with swag. They all ran away... I'm really glad you can help me improve this. This is not really a competitive set as its just a predictable gimmick, but I might turn this competitive, I mean about 15% of the people I met use this strategy with Terrakion, but they couldn't execute it properly.

ho-oh tajra

Brazilian Trainer
Thank you ma'am.

Shell Bell or Leftovers, both are good. And so I should make it Brave with same EVs. And an odd HP for stealth rock resistance. Is Steel Wing good to handle rocks?

Whimsicott it is. The stats on Smeargle are simply... horrible. But which item could be on Whimsicott. Smeargle Heal Pulse isn't needed as Gallade and Talonflame can restore themselves. My friend told me Smeargle's Taunt Bait.

Gallade without Skill Swap is useless. Imma switch to something like Mega Luke who resists this Beat Up.

Should I send out Greninja instead of Talonflame? I have one prepared for other purposes, but it feels a little mainstream...

Garchomp is awesome and I don't need ParaFlinch much anyways. SO I'll see if I can switch to Pachirisu... and make it my MASCOT!!! Thank you for the tips. I can sweep with swag :D

This technique got me 15 ragequitters out of 41 matches and about 7 losses. The losses were due to non-Ubers and the ragequitters all used Mega Ray and I Drain Punch OHKOd it with swag. They all ran away... I'm really glad you can help me improve this. This is not really a competitive set as its just a predictable gimmick, but I might turn this competitive, I mean about 15% of the people I met use this strategy with Terrakion, but they couldn't execute it properly.

I am glad to hear your strategy has been working! Always rewarding to see your hard work paying off.
Anyway, Pachi is a really good Follow Me user, as we saw at VGC2014. Here is the set (I believe the EVs are right) used by mister Park:

Pachirisu @ Sitrus Berry
Volt Absorb
Impish
- Follow Me
- Protect
- Nuzzle
- Super Fang
EVs: 252 Hp / 156 Def / 100 Sp Def

Follow me + Protect is a great combo, it allows crazy mind games since you can Protect on a turn the enemy decides to double/triple attack Pachi. Nuzzle allows you to spread paralyzes for speed control and it doesn't care for Taunt, Super Fang cuts the enemy HP by half, which is always awesome.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Timid
EVs: 44 HP / 244 Def / 220 Speed
- Taunt
- Encore
- Switcheroo
- Tailwind

The EVs are a bit odd but they are one of the best spreads for our Cotton Candy friend, Switcheroo helps messing up with enemies, steal someone's Life Orb or Leftover, for example, also works great with Choice Scarf for stallbreaking but that is more single battles, haha.
Tailwind with Prankster is amazing, you already have Talonflame for it but this allows you to run something else on Talonflame, like Overheat, Taunt or Will-o-Wisp.
Encore and Taunt are there to mess up with enemies, Prankster Taunt is really good to stop setting ups, Follow Me, etcetera.
Other options you have are: Protect and Memento (and more but those two are more important).
Prankster Memento allows you to shut down a pokémon, buying time for another team mate to win the game, works better with pokémons that likes free turns.
Greninja is an interesting idea, Mat Block support is always good, but it depends on your strategy, really.

For Mega Lucario, you will *not* want to go physical.
Here is a suggestion from the Pokémon of the Week:

Lucario @ Lucarioite
Adaptability (Inner Focus or Justified on Lucario)
Timid
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute/Nasty Plot
- Protect/Detect
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd

This set goes Special because as Lucario is a frail sweeper that appreciates the one turn set up, it doesn't need Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp shenanigans getting in its way.
Protect has more PP than Detect, but if Imprison Sableye ever comes back then Detect will be the way to go.
Both Talonflame and Pachi/Togekiss/Amoonguss are good pokémon to have around since Talonflame can throw strong hits like Brave Bird and setup Talonwind while the others can redirect attacks away from Lucario so it can setup Nasty Plot / Substitute. Togekiss deserves some attention since it has both Follow Me and Tailwind, but since it's triples you don't have to run it.
By the way, Lucario learns Follow Me too.
Hope it helped.

imran3

Nothing much...
Thank you ma'am, for showing me this technique. I've come to a conclusion that Gallade is only meant for this strategy and it's just a mere gimmick that no one would have expected, but every now and then, people keep using the exact same Pokemon I use. Will try to breed Lucario, I think Inner Focus runs better as it has no Physical moves.

ho-oh tajra

Brazilian Trainer
Hmm, yes, with Inner Focus and the right prediction you may get a free turn (like if someone tries to Fake Out your Lucario). don't forget that Nasty Plot is a Riolu only move! It learns Nasty Plot at level 47! http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/447.shtml

Lucario may be a pain to breed due to its 7/8 male rate... but if you have a Timid Ditto it's all good, kinda...

imran3

Nothing much...
Don't worry, I've got a Ditto and a Lucario with me :D. Do you happen to know what tier Mega Luke is in? Do you also know the counter to my previous team and how to counter that? Sorry for being so inquisitive. That's just me :p

ho-oh tajra

Brazilian Trainer
Don't worry, I've got a Ditto and a Lucario with me :D. Do you happen to know what tier Mega Luke is in? Do you also know the counter to my previous team and how to counter that? Sorry for being so inquisitive. That's just me :p

Official Mega Lucario tier: ALLOWED
Smogon Mega Lucario tier: UBER
The Pokémon Company doesn't ban specific pokémon like Smogon, so most of times Mega Lucario is allowed unless it has a special rule (like Battle of Hoenn only allowing Hoenn dex pokémon).

Anyway, don't forget Riolu can't breed and it only evolves at day-time.
Counter to your team? Well, I can point out pokémon specific counters before taking a better look at the team as overall.

Lucario: Since your Lucario is special, using high special defense pokémon will give you trouble, Slowbro comes to mind since it resists BOTH Aura Sphere and Flash Cannon while having bulky to survive boosted moves and can heal off the damage.
Also, fast and strong pokémon will make Lucario kiss the tatami fast, Gardevoir and Garchomp comes to mind since they can outspeed and kill / hurt Lucario badly (like seen at VGC 2014, also this set doesn't have Bullet Punch to strike first) so you need to be careful on what you mega evolve.

Whismcott and Pachrisu: I will cover both together since both are defensive pokémon, one word: Taunt. Taunt will shut down them, without Follow Me and Protect Pachirisu will do no good to your team aside of being a cute mascot, our cotton candy friend is in the same boat, if it gets Taunted it won't be able to help, forcing you to switch and lose a turn so be extra careful to not switch into a Taunt, also Trick Room messes up Tailwind really good, so be careful to nto set it against Trick Room teams.

Greninja: Our favorite frog pokémon is in a similar boat of Lucario, since it's frail, outspeeding it with strong pokémon will send it into graveyard, Gardevoir can outspeed it with Choice Scarf and 1 hit with Moonblast, other fast pokémon like Garchomp can also murder Greninja. If Greninja is special them special walls will stop you dry, things like Florges, Sylveon and Chansey. If Greninja is physical instead, Intimidate and Will-o-Wisp will be it's bane, as well as strong pokémon like Gliscor or Dragonite. Status in general are pretty bad for Greninja since it's fragile and it's free to eat Will-o-Wisps and Thunder Waves at the first turn due to Mat Block.

Garchomp: Garchomp hates Will-o-Wisp and Intimidate, so you need to keep Garchomp away from it, fast ice users will also hurt Garchomp really bad, offensive Rotom Wash can deal 80-90% damage to Garchomp using HP Ice with only Choice Scarf and it can survive an unboosted Outrage with 10% HP left at worst cases! Other dragons are always scary to fight, Dragonite can take hits from Garchomp and murder it with Dragon Claw, it may also be holding a Weakness Policy and Dragon Dance into your face, only to spam atk + 3 boosted Extreme Speed. Fairy are also a stone in your path to sweeping, Gardevoir can 1 hit with Moonblast while holding a Choice Scarf while taking no damage from dragon moves, it can also survive Earthquake with 2% HP left at worst cases, considering Garchomp also has a Choice Scarf, bulkier fairy can also eat a hit or two and break Garchomp down. Togekiss and Skarmory deserves to be mentioned since they can take almost any hit from Garchomp (aside of Stone Edge and Fire Blast, respectively).

Talonflame: Stealth Rock, while not really that often seen in Doubles/Triples it will eat your day, unless your Talonflame is the lead. With that in mind, rock types will give you a headache since they survive flying / fire hits and threat you with their stab Stone Edge / Rock Slide but they don't like Will-o-Wisp. Rotom Wash is a great counter for Talonflame, it doesn't care about burns, Taunt and resists your stabs so be careful of it. Gliscor can wall Talonflame and painfully kill it with Toxic, if you try to Roost or Sword Dance you give it time to bring Substitute which can ruin your day. Dragonite annd Lucario can check damaged Talonflame with Extreme Speed (Adamant Choice Band Dragonite can almost 1 hit Talonflame with Extreme Speed if yours don't have HP EVs so be extra careful), it can also eat hits but it hates Will-o-Wisp, however Dragonite also works as a special sweeper or a ParaShuffler wall so you need to be careful around one.

Hope it helped!

imran3

Nothing much...
Thanks, I just won my first rating battle with Gallade, it was really funny since he brought a Pidgeot even though he used Mega Aggron (and I OHKO'd it with a +6 Drain Punch).

ho-oh tajra

Brazilian Trainer
Thanks, I just won my first rating battle with Gallade, it was really funny since he brought a Pidgeot even though he used Mega Aggron (and I OHKO'd it with a +6 Drain Punch).

Great job! It is always good to see our hard work unto making a team paying off. :)