• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Lucario and the Mystery of Standard

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
lucario-mega.png
503.png
sylveon.png
680.png
683.png
558.png

Introduction

Just a quick intro, I guess. I'm not very good a this game at all, to start with. Of course I heard that Mega Lucario was good, but I decided that I wanted to mess around with it a bit for myself. The result is this team, and me deciding that Mega Lucario is fun to use. Anyways, on to the team. Sorry for not having a team building process, I don't really remember most of it.

In depth look

453.png
|
lucario-mega.png

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Whelp, this is it. Like I mentioned before, I built this team to try out using Mega Lucario. I opted over the Swords Dance set mostly because on the lower area of the ladder where I tend to be playing, I had mostly seen Nasty Plot sets. I guess I just like Swords Dance more in general. I think most of the set is pretty straight forward, on the most part. I decided to use Bullet Punch instead of Extreme Speed mostly because I was afraid of Fairy types being a little bit of an issue, but so far I haven't had any problems so I'm considering switching to Extremespeed of the added power.

503.png

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Oh look, another set everyone uses. I use Rotom-W to sponge all the fire hits that nobody else on my team likes. Will-O-Wisp really helps nerf and wear down enemies, especially Landorus-T. Helps with some threats to Mega Lucario, such as Talonflame or Gliscor, while taking the flamethrowers and earthquakes that Mega Lucario, Excadrill, and Genesect can't.

sylveon.png

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball

This slot was originally occupied by Defog Latias, but I switched it for Wish Sylveon after getting thoroughly trashed by an Assault Vest Conkeldurr. I'm not sure if this is true or if I was just battling somebody super bad, but Sylveon is able to help with Gliscor, mainly due to being able to hit through it's subs with Pixilate boosted Hyper Voice.

4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 174-205 (49.1 - 57.9%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 147-174 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Between Wish, Protect, and Hyper Voice, Sylveon can work against Gliscor in a pinch. Of course, Rotom-w and Genesect are both a bit better suited for this role, but Sylveon can work in a pinch. It's also my main check to a lot of fighting types that threaten this team, like Conkeldurr, Breloom, or Infernape. I haven't had a chance to try it out against a Keldeo or Terrakion, but intuition tells me not to try against Keldeo.

680.png

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Now I realize that this Pokemon is a bit unorthadox in OU, but bear with me for a bit. I generally lead with Genesect, in order to try and scout out my opponents team a bit with some speedy U-turn action. I run Iron Head to nail the Fairy types that give Mega Lucario (and the rest of my team, to some extent) trouble. Ice Beam is mainly for Gliscor and Landorus-T, but it also nails Mega-Pinsir (which I don't think I've played against) now that I think about it. Flamethrower is for Steel types and weakened Grass mons like Trevenant, Gourgeist, or whatever other ghostly plants deem attacking a giant robot bug to be a good idea.

683.png

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Piece three of my Volt-turn core. Landorus-T helps build momentum, set rocks on a switch, and net a KO here or there. Of course, most of the time when he comes in and threatens something, they switch out. But that just gives him an opportunity to set up Stealth Rocks, which benefit my team. Helps against the ground weakness to the team, but honestly, aside from rocks, I'm not entirely sure what defensive coverage he's providing off the top of my head.

558.png

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

To be honest, I don't really love Excadrill. This spot was originally a Choice Band Tyranitar, but I switched it out for Excadrill because I got trashed by sticky web several times. They have similar movesets, and similar weaknesses. Unfortunately, in terms of hitting things, Excadrill is kind of like a slower Landorus-T. I also frequently miss the bulk that Tyranitar had (compared to Excadrill), but I appreciate the extra power.

Outro

So yeah, that's the team. I've been around 1250 on the ladder with this, with a record of something like 13 and 3. I intend to test it a bit more, of course. I just wanted to get this up because I had a chance to sit down and type it. I haven't really noticed a huge weakness to any one Pokemon or core altogether, but I'm sure I'll find something as I test more.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

ger9119

Some quick suggestions

Take Iron Head off, for like thunderbolt or giga drain on Gene. You hit the same stuff just as hard with either one of those and it also gives you better coverage

I suggest maybe heal bell or toxic over shadow ball on Sylveon. Heal Bell can help further it's cleric role since a few of your mons are worn down by Will-O-Wisp or Toxic.

Take the band off of Exa, you don't want to be stuck on a rapid spin lol give it air ballon or lefties

Eaglehawk

Banned
I agree with the removal of Iron Head. Excadrill already kills most of the relevant OU Fairies with Iron Head. Also, change Choice Band to Assault Vest. It gives Excadrill more opportunities to Rapid Spin in a battle.

Furthermore, I definitely suggest running Extreme Speed over Bullet Punch. Although you do lose the Adaptability boost, the +2 Priority from Extreme Speed is inifinitely more valuable in a offensive, priority oriented metagame.

Also, personally I would run Hidden Power Ice on Landorus-T to beat mirror match-ups against other Landos or against Gliscor/Garchomp.

Your team is slightly susceptible to Charizard-X. It can be worked around with smart plays with the current members, but if you could find a way to more solidly check Charizard-X that would be great.

The same argument goes for Rotom-W and Kyurem-B. They all can be worked around, but if not handled correctly, those two will become extreme nuisances to your team, so that's something to keep in mind.

Outside of those small nitpicks, this team is pretty solid! Good luck with laddering!

Ace Trainer Riana

I agree with getting rid of bullet punch, but I would actually go with Flash Cannon over Earthquake. While it may seem like a strange choice, it can catch an opponent off guard, especially when they have a defensive wall out and Mega Lucario also has a pretty good special attack.

Eaglehawk

Banned
I agree with getting rid of bullet punch, but I would actually go with Flash Cannon over Earthquake. While it may seem like a strange choice, it can catch an opponent off guard, especially when they have a defensive wall out and Mega Lucario also has a pretty good special attack.

Oh wow. I didn't notice Earthquake on the set.

But yeah, it's in your best interest to get rid of Earthquake and replace it with something like Crunch or Ice Punch to round out your coverage.

Snorby

Snorby
Some quick suggestions

Take Iron Head off, for like thunderbolt or giga drain on Gene. You hit the same stuff just as hard with either one of those and it also gives you better coverage

I suggest maybe heal bell or toxic over shadow ball on Sylveon. Heal Bell can help further it's cleric role since a few of your mons are worn down by Will-O-Wisp or Toxic.

Take the band off of Exa, you don't want to be stuck on a rapid spin lol give it air ballon or lefties

All this

but NONE of this. Flash Cannon on a physical attacking mega luke is ridiculous. You'll be doing more to the likes of Skarm by just using CC.

I would however suggest Crunch over Earthquake, because as long as you read the opponent, it's just as effective at slaying Aegislash, and also gets perfect coverage with Bullet punch and Close Combat.