• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Salamence is Fair and Balanced (OR/AS Battle Maison Singles)

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Hi there. I started playing OR/AS again recently and I decided to revive one of the teams I made last year to try and see how far I can go in the Battle Maison with it. My first try got me 160 straight wins before I finally lost to an absurd amount of parafusion hax and a BRIGHTPOWDER FERROTHORN. This quite handily beats my record of 124 straight wins with my Mega Kanga Madness team, but I still feel like I could do better. Anyways the whole team was built around the amazing synergy between offensive Heatran and Mega Salamence, with a Sylveon in there for Wish/Heal Bell support. I'm strongly considering dropping Sylveon for Clefable. I first made this team at a time when Sylveon was being drastrically overhyped as a sort of Wish Passer with some offensive presence but I feel like Clefable's superior bulk and Unaware would make it the better choice.

Anyways, here we go.

salamence-mega.gif

Salamence @ Salamencite
Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Attack)
Trait: Intimidate ---> Aerialate
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Defence
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
-Return
-Earthquake
-Substitute
-Dragon Dance

Meet the legend. SubDD Mega Salamence is one of the most horrifying things I think I have ever seen in a Pokemon game, and frankly the absurd power this thing is packing is enough to give most teams nightmares. Between Substitute and Intimidate Salamence has ample opportunities to set up a couple Dragon Dances and go to town. I'm sure there's a more efficient EV spread to be used but I went for simple 252/252/4 spreads, and it's worked great for me so far. The one thing that's plagued me for a while is whether to drop Earthquake for Refresh and Subsitute for Roost and go with a full monoattacking set, as Heatran already handles the Steels and Rocks that Earthquake lets me muscle past. However Earthquake lets Salamence singlehandedly steamroll matches 80% of the time.

heatran.gif

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Attack)
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 HP, 4 Defence
IVs: 31/30/30/31/31/31
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Flash Cannon

Offensive Heatran has absolutely amazing synergy with Salamence, laughing at Ice and Fairy moves while powering past Steels and Fairies with Fire Blast and Flash Cannon. I finally got my hands on a flawless HP Ice Heatran so why wouldn't I use it? Hidden Power Ice takes the synergy up a notch by allowing me to dispose of enemy Dragons more efficiently. He also loves switching into Will-O-Wisps aimed at Salamence and firing off boosted Fire Blasts. Earth Power is really just coverage for opposing Fire types when it's necessary. There's really nothing I would change on this set except perhaps the EV spread, but I feel max/max is pretty much the way to go especially in the Battle Maison where you can't reliably speed creep things. If I could ever get my hands on a Timid HP Ice Heatran, max Speed Timid Heatran outspeeds the standard Adamant Mamoswine and picks it off with Flash Cannon, a Pokemon that can otherwise cause huge problems for me. Basically Heatran murders the precious few things that can stand up to a Mega Salamence sweeep, as well as disposing of things that Salamence can't set up on.

sylveon.gif

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm (+Sp. Def, -Attack)
Trait: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Sp. Atk
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
-Hyper Voice
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell

Sylveon is basically pure support. Paralysis and burns (and to a lesser extent Toxic) are the bane of Salamence's existence, and Sylveon is here to ensure that a status condition isn't a death sentence for Salamence. Heatran, being naturally immune to Burns and Poison and not all that fast to begin with, cares less about status but greatly appreciates the large Wishes Sylveon can pass him. Hyper Voice is just a last-ditch way to deal damage and has saved me a couple times. I am considering dropping Sylveon for Clefable with the exact same set (Moonblast over Hyper Voice) and a slightly different EV spread, as Clefable's superior bulk makes up for the slight drop in power. Salamence and Heatran give me plenty of muscle anyways.

mamoswine.gif

Mamoswine can destroy Salamence and Heatran with 4x effective STAB moves, as well as being able to threaten Salamence with a priority Ice Shard if it's not being a Substitute. Heatran can beat it if its Air Balloon is intact but can't switch in for fear of it being popped. Its high Attack also means it can pressure Sylveon greatly. My only real way to deal with this thing is to sacrifice something, but luckily I've only encountered it a couple times. I've also noticed the Mamoswine in the Battle Maison all seem to be Adamant so Timid Heatran could potentially outspeed them. Getting a Timid Heatran with the right IVs is easier said than done, it's a bloody miracle I got the one I currently have.
swampert.gif

Screw this thing. I see it all the time and it annoys the piss out of me, since Salamence can't straight up OHKO it and it deals major damage with Avalanche. Heatran doesn't stand a chance thanks to Waterfall and Earthquake, and its strong STAB Earthquakes are enough to 2HKO Sylveon. The only way I beat it is if I can set up before hand. Luckily I have yet to run into it as a lead but if I ever did I think the only way I could even hope to win is to sacrifice Salamence to weaken it enough that Heatran can finish it off, and hope that Heatran and Slyveon can pull me through the rest of the match.
gengar.gif

The bloody Hypnosis set is just obnoxious to fight in general, and the Focus Sash set can also be a problem. I haven't seen one with Focus Blast yet though, so Heatran is usually a safe answer.
landorus.gif

The Smack Down + Fissure set is a joke. The Scarf set causes more problems being able to threaten Heatran and Sylveon, but if I can bait it into locking itself into Earth Power or Focus Blast it becomes set-up bait for Salamence.
starmie.gif

If it leads it can cause problems cause it will outspeed Salamence on the first turn, but Sylveon can usually handle it pretty well.
ferrothorn.gif

Oh look a team with Mega Salamence and Heatran. You'd think it would be Ferrothorn's worst nightmare, right? Well, apparently BRIGHTPOWDER FERROTHORN is a thing in the Battle Maison. Or at least that's the only explanation I can think of as to why I missed a Ferrothorn with Return when no other accuracy/evasion modifiers where in play. That's literally how my 160 battle streak came to an end and frankly I don't think I've ever raged so hard in my life.
terrakion.gif
rhyperior.gif
tyranitar.gif
regirock.gif

Strong Rock types in general can be problematic because I don't have a resist. Salamence can't set up on them and they usually carry Earthquake which makes them problems for Heatran. Heatran actually outspeeds most Rock types in the Maison and can do quite a bit of damage with Flash Cannon. Terrakion is a problem on paper but I've only ever seen it a couple times and Mega Salamence outspeeds and OHKOs it.

So that's all. Really what I'm looking for are more efficient EV spreads and whether or not Clefable > Sylveon is a good idea. I'm also considering a Healing Wish user in the last slot like Gardevoir, but I prefer the more reliable Wish + Heal Bell support from Sylveon or Clefable.

Last edited:

Metal64

I think that a flamethrower or a lava plume would be better than fire blast, I mean, I know that fire blast is more stronger, but rely on luck to your attack to hit it's very disadvantageous.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Not sure if you've seen this yet at all or not but really watch out for trick room explode executor. It looks like your team would most likely OHKO it before it gets the trick room off but if you are tempted to set up on him with salamence just beware of the lingering trick room rules and that your dragon dance will pretty much guarantee that you go last under trick room against anything and that explode will likely break your sub. Maybe run a damage calc to make sure that your mega salamence can OHKO it before the trick room without setting up. My durant team really hated trick room explode executor but that's because I was relying on entrainment. If you wait to set up your salamence after you OHKO executor you should be good. Also I haven't seen a speed chart in a while for battle maison but if you want to see if you are wasting any speed EV's check the speed tiers for battle maison. Also keep in mind that the move order of Mega Salamence on the first move is going to be based off of his old speed before he mega evolved, since the order of moves is based on the speed conditions before the turn began, he only gets the new speed on a turn where he has already previously mega evolved so beware of that when wanting to sub before something to set up.

As far as flamethrower over fireblast is concerned I have to agree the low percent chance is going to come into play the longer your win streak. The more matches you fight, the more misses you are going to see from fireblast. If heatran is your backup AFTER salamence goes down then it may be safer to go with flamethrower, especially considering that one of your threats ferrothorn brightpowder hax is going to be OHKO by flamethrower anyway if it does hit, and brightpowder only makes the hit percentage on fireblast even worse.

*edit*

also if rock types are giving you trouble, try out a bulky Vaporeon set for your cleric. I believe vaporeon also gets wish and heal bell, has decent bulk, and you can give it surf to go up against those rock types.

Last edited:

ChrisTheCorruptHero

Beyond Legendary
quite the team you have here!

This is honestly one epic team for sure! if I could suggest something though it would be to instead use eviolite Chansey. Comes in REALLY handy at times. the one I run in my comp team is just a straight healer for the team.

Chansey
stat focus: HP and DEF
item: eviolite
ability: natural cure
move 1: heal bell
move 2: healing wish
move 3: sunny day/seismic toss
move 4: thunder wave/soft boiled

This is how I would recommend using it just because it heals everything soooooooooo incredibly well and it usually lives long enough to pop off all four moves. run sunny day to take the edge off of ice and water type moves and to give heatran's fire blast a little upgrade. thunder wave almost all outspeeding opponents. heal bell/ healing wish is pretty obvious. plus when Chansey is trained defensively and given the eviolite, the opponent is in for one hell of a time trying to kill this thing off. or you could give it seismic toss with soft boiled for a bit of offense. But I recommend the straight healer build. ENJOY! :D