• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Meh spliced sprites!

Ok, I'm a newbie at splicing, since I only started about 2 weeks ago, so if the sprites suck, then there's my excuse :p. Ok, first time also putting an image on a forum so I don't know how to do it exactly, so I'm just gonna give this method a try.

newpokemonspriteuploadrof9.png

oh yeah, i forgot to say, all advice are wanted. I know that I need to improve with shading, so plz nothing about that cuz I'm practicing

pokemonrevampcollectiontz4.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Edit: Yes! I made it bigger! I just decided to post my revamps cuz i'm bored. I hope i make it good like the splices pic came out

Update 1: I know I said I was gonna make 3 revamps, but I need to finish homework rite now so I made only 2, gonna make Raichu tom.

Update 2: Ok, made the Raichu, but I'm one day late. I also made the sand armadillos & female Nidos and i'm working on males (So hard with the shading! The nidos are making me hate revamping...). Oh yeah, and just to let you guys know, I'm taking a break from splicing since it takes too long and I don't have time. (Also a little becuz I'm lazy :) )

Update 3: Ok, I've finally made new splices, but they're beginner's ones, (finally I'm doing what I'm suppose to be) Also, I know that the Golem/Regirock one is too complicated for me, but I couldn't resist :) I would've posted them on yesterday, but I couldn't connect to the forums, for some reason I got the 500 Internal Error message when I tried.

Last edited:

bob_is_cool

back again...
most of the colors do not match [ umbreon/milotic; garchomp/flygon...], some outlines are missing [ electrivire/ deoxys;steelix/ many pokemon], most of them look weird

btw is the exploud fusion have blood dripping from the scythes?

most of the colors do not match [ umbreon/milotic; garchomp/flygon...], some outlines are missing [ electrivire/ deoxys;steelix/ many pokemon], most of them look weird

btw is the exploud fusion have blood dripping from the scythes?

Srry bout the first like, 5, 7, 10 ones? i don't remember. those were my first ones. When I looked at my first fusion walkthrough, the guy said to pick another poke for colors. Then I noticed that the pokes looked better if I don't and just pick from one of the ones I already used. And for the outlines, I'm trying to do 3-d, but not coming out very well. I'll get better, (i hope). And for the weirdness, well, that's what I am in real life :p Thx for da criticism!

your fusions arent very good, you will only get better by practice

revamps are quite good though IMO

Lol, I hope I DO get better by practice... Though it's gonna take a loong time for me. School's started :( and now i have less free time. I can't sprite on the weekdays unless i have the school day off, so I get less practice time :(. And for the revamps, thx :)

Bert

Untitled
Sorry, but something needs to be done about this. Please allow me to explain fusing to you.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q167/Bert852/TyraSwine.png

That is a proper fusion, and while by all means it's far from the best of the world, it is a start. Now how did I do that?

- Step 1: choose two pokémon!

Probably the hardest step of all, choosing two well-matching pokémon. Most of your work has 3 or more pokémon in it, and that's just begging for a bad result. Choose 2, even advanced fusers prefer to work with 2 rather than 3, although I myself occasionally use colors or something from a third pokémon.

Anyway, if you're new to, or bad at, fusing then select two pokémon hwo have a great deal in common, without being clones. Growlithe/Elektrike, for exemple, make aweosme fusing pokémon.

- Step 2 : Fusing for beginners!

You start with C/P, later on when you get good you scratch. For now you'll C/P.
Let's say you DID choose Growlithe Elektrike, then you can C/P Growlithe's head manes onto Elektrike's head (make them fit!). Then you scratch tiger stripes on Elektrike's body, and then you recolor however you want and you think it looks best.

THAT'd be a good fusion for a beginner.
Try stuff like that for now, and refrain form using legendaries like Rayquaza, as they are too complex. Good luck.

Draco_Patil

Splice Spriter
bert posted a good point, i see stuff like groudon and kyogre and whateva mumbo jumbo. You really should try something more simple, like a jigglypuff or pikachu..
I would say keep away from fur and flames for now, as more often than not, you will have to scratch them and i still have trouble scratching flames.
also using big pokemon as base and adding features and recoloring with the second pokemon is a good way to start. I hope you know the eraser trick, its the best for recoloring.
also on the fusions you scratched, you did two major wrong things:
1) too much dithering. dithering should be used only for large areas. 2) you did the same outline color througout. A good tip is to use the shadow color in the outline that is directly touching the light, lighter outline shade for those towards the light and the dark outline shades in the areas which dont get light

just keep practising and you'll get better in no time!

Metamence

The aggron and tyranitar had Tyranitar's head thing that doesn't fit in, some stuff are copy flipped. It wrecks the shading and more.Like you copy flipped charizard's wings.
Some outlines are abit uncolored to match the current coloring.Some of the coloring are like bleaaahh!

The aggron and tyranitar had Tyranitar's head thing that doesn't fit in, some stuff are copy flipped. It wrecks the shading and more.Like you copy flipped charizard's wings.
Some outlines are abit uncolored to match the current coloring.Some of the coloring are like bleaaahh!

Hey, this isn't the first of the rest of the criticism... Oh well, just gonna go in this order then. Yeah I did flip some stuff, I've tried to stop flipping, and i'm focusing on mastering C+P, Personally, i think I'm like .25% from getting good at it, so I'm working on it when I can. Also, I seriously need some help with outlines. I know absolutely squat about it. And for the coloring, well, I dunno what I do.
bert posted a good point, i see stuff like groudon and kyogre and whateva mumbo jumbo. You really should try something more simple, like a jigglypuff or pikachu..
I would say keep away from fur and flames for now, as more often than not, you will have to scratch them and i still have trouble scratching flames.
also using big pokemon as base and adding features and recoloring with the second pokemon is a good way to start. I hope you know the eraser trick, its the best for recoloring.
also on the fusions you scratched, you did two major wrong things:
1) too much dithering. dithering should be used only for large areas. 2) you did the same outline color througout. A good tip is to use the shadow color in the outline that is directly touching the light, lighter outline shade for those towards the light and the dark outline shades in the areas which dont get light

Ok, next comment, ugh i hate typing... Yeah, I probably should've started from the basics... It's just my personality to try to do the best when I can't even do the basics -.-'. And for the big poke base, I'm gonna try that. and for the eraser trick, yup I know that but I always come up short on colors since the base poke sometimes doesn't have enuf colors. If you have a tip w/ this, plz tell me. Scratch: Dithering? oh is that where I do like, the color dots? cuz I actually have no idea what I'm doing there either. I just tried them out, and I tried to fix them, but no matter what I did, I made it worse (If possible). And once again for the outlines, total newbie at it, and I mean not-even-know-anything-about-it newbie. Thx 4 da criticism!
just keep practising and you'll get better in no time!
Sorry, but something needs to be done about this. Please allow me to explain fusing to you.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q167/Bert852/TyraSwine.png

That is a proper fusion, and while by all means it's far from the best of the world, it is a start. Now how did I do that?

- Step 1: choose two pokémon!

Probably the hardest step of all, choosing two well-matching pokémon. Most of your work has 3 or more pokémon in it, and that's just begging for a bad result. Choose 2, even advanced fusers prefer to work with 2 rather than 3, although I myself occasionally use colors or something from a third pokémon.

Anyway, if you're new to, or bad at, fusing then select two pokémon hwo have a great deal in common, without being clones. Growlithe/Elektrike, for exemple, make aweosme fusing pokémon.

- Step 2 : Fusing for beginners!

You start with C/P, later on when you get good you scratch. For now you'll C/P.
Let's say you DID choose Growlithe Elektrike, then you can C/P Growlithe's head manes onto Elektrike's head (make them fit!). Then you scratch tiger stripes on Elektrike's body, and then you recolor however you want and you think it looks best.

THAT'd be a good fusion for a beginner.
Try stuff like that for now, and refrain form using legendaries like Rayquaza, as they are too complex. Good luck.

Finally! I get a good tutorial! All of the ones I looked at are, how shall I say this nicely, not good. They don't go in depth or anything. They just said to pick 2 pokes, and move features from one to another. I'm gonna try to do the example u chose to start off in the right direction. Also, can you (or anyone else for that matter) give me more good fusion pokes so I can get a good example of "similar"? cuz I'm still kind of lost. (No, I'm not dumb, I'm more of an in the books/ follow the instructions kind of guy). Oh and I think I'll need WAAAY more than good luck. Thx 4 da criticism.

Dang that was a lot to answer to... Thx guys for the criticism, I always like them, so keep them coming! I need more tips or even directions to get better! Sadly though I can't work on sprites now since school started and I'm starting guitar :). And once again, thx for the criticism! (Dang, i hate typing the word "criticism" so weird to spell!) Time to go practice guitar! (Btw, I only check this thread once per day, so It'll be around this time again tom b4 I see if there are anymore new comments)

Last edited:

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
The evil Arceus is cool.

JolteonShock

<<Squishy loves you!
Your revamps are excellent if you only started two weeks ago.
Your splices are okay, but may I recommend using less Pokemon? I noticed a lot of yours have three or four. Maybe use two to keep it simple.

Lemon!

MAPMAKER FOOLZ
Well for somebody that only started spriting two weeks ago, I am extremely impressed with your revamps and your scratched parts on your two favourite splices. Obviously, you are not quite there yet bet you are on your way. I am only going to crit the revamps for now,

when revamping you have to think what the sprite would look in DPP right? Well how many sprites have you seen in DPP that have a solid black out line near the lightest shade of colour? In this case you need to get the darkest shade of colour and blend it in to the outline until you get the right mix. But as you have proven, you can do the exact oposite and not have enough black outline, when this happens, you need to blend in the outline with some black. A sprite where you have done this quite well is the Kakuna.

Draco_Patil

Splice Spriter
Well I usually try to fuse pokemon with around the same shades of base colours. If i run short though, I take the end colour(darkest or lightest) and i edit it to make it lighter. It seems quite natural after that.
yes your right dithering is those interweaving dots. Its normally used only for large areas to smooth out the transition, sometimes in fur shading and in extremely small patches of light.
Keep practising and dont hesitate to post just bcoz some ppl say something mean

The evil Arceus is cool.

Thx, though personally I thought that the edges were too rough, and you could barely see the outlines. wait, those two are the same. Oh well. (Giratina x Arceus x Darkrai if you were wondering)

Your revamps are excellent if you only started two weeks ago.
Your splices are okay, but may I recommend using less Pokemon? I noticed a lot of yours have three or four. Maybe use two to keep it simple.

Thx, the reason the revamps are good is cuz of the guide I read. It went exactly step by step, and was just plain excellent. Also for the splices, it's just my personality to take on more than I can handle. Stopping that in sprites, trying to stop it altogether. And I'll stick to 2 pokes only from now on, at least til I get better.

Well for somebody that only started spriting two weeks ago, I am extremely impressed with your revamps and your scratched parts on your two favourite splices. Obviously, you are not quite there yet bet you are on your way. I am only going to crit the revamps for now,

when revamping you have to think what the sprite would look in DPP right? Well how many sprites have you seen in DPP that have a solid black out line near the lightest shade of colour? In this case you need to get the darkest shade of colour and blend it in to the outline until you get the right mix. But as you have proven, you can do the exact oposite and not have enough black outline, when this happens, you need to blend in the outline with some black. A sprite where you have done this quite well is the Kakuna.

Oh ok, I'm gonna try to fix my revamps after I finish making new ones. I've stopped doing one color outline lines liney thing... huh? i just lost myself. Anyway, I've been trying to blend in black & the darkest color, but sometimes I find myself in a dead end somehow (don't ask how, I just somehow do... maybe I need to watch what I do more...) Sooner or later I'll get a good mix of black and outline color.

Well I usually try to fuse pokemon with around the same shades of base colours. If i run short though, I take the end colour(darkest or lightest) and i edit it to make it lighter. It seems quite natural after that.
yes your right dithering is those interweaving dots. Its normally used only for large areas to smooth out the transition, sometimes in fur shading and in extremely small patches of light.
Keep practising and dont hesitate to post just bcoz some ppl say something mean

Oh ok, I'm gonna try to edit the colors. Never tried it b4, so my first tries are just gonna be plain umm, what's that word... oh yeah, abysmal. For the dithering, thx, never knew what dithering was nor what was it's name til now. Also, i had no idea when to use it >.<. Now i'm gonna prevent using dithering til i'm good, and even then barely. For now, I can't practice :(. Too much homework! And I'm working on a new song :). So I can't really post any new works since I haven't made any.

Once again guys, thx for the criticism. I'll get better later, I promise (or hope at least). Hmm, looking at my responses, i notice that I drone on about things that aren't on the subject a lot... I'll try to stop. Ok, til tom, cya!

Hiidoran-man

Splices: good, although some of the colours don't really go and I could see a few places where u c/p'ed, I think they're fairly great to be honest.
I'm a splicer too, except I use parts to make my fakes, It would be awesome if I could see some fakes that you spliced :)
Revamps: great, far better than mine, i find nothing wrong with them. :)
sorry if I don't make much sense :D

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
When will you make some more?

Splices: good, although some of the colours don't really go and I could see a few places where u c/p'ed, I think they're fairly great to be honest.
I'm a splicer too, except I use parts to make my fakes, It would be awesome if I could see some fakes that you spliced :)
Revamps: great, far better than mine, i find nothing wrong with them. :)
sorry if I don't make much sense :D

Lol, you made sense, except for the fakes part. Could you explain a little more? The colors on the splices I really need to redo, but I don't have time and too lazy >.< Thx for the revamps comment :[). Also, I'm gonna go check out ur sprites when I finish making this comment. Though it will take like 30 mins to load each page... Stupid slow connection...

the revamps look great!
dont see the other picture sorry >.<

Thx! I'm trying to make more revamps, but I stupidly deleted the files I kept the splices & revamps! :mad:]! I'm gonna try to retrieve them, though I'll probably fail, and have to redo all over again. For the other pic, I'm gonna try to edit the post and repost the pic so you can see it.

When will you make some more?

I'm so sorry, but my time is just packed. On weekdays, my homework time takes up a lot of time, and I only sprite on my free time after I've played MoHH2, and probably played a flash game or 2. But these days I barely have time for the MoHH2 part since I have places to go. And on the weekdays, my dad's limited me to using the comp. I DID do like 3 new revamps and 1 splice (a training one, wasn't gonna post it, it sucked badly), but before I could post it, I was playing around w/ files and folders and stuff, and now, like I previously said, I lost all of the files!!! All the hard work gone :,(. I'm gonna make a new save file, and redo, so it's probably gonna b a while.

Edit: Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! I got the files back! (though it wasn't the ones with the new sprites :( ). Gonna make 3 quick revamps and then gonna upload them. Tom I'm gonna work on the outlines of the prev revamps.

Thx for the comments guys! Keep them comin :[)

Last edited:

Draco_Patil

Splice Spriter
Well i noticed you said that you dont recolor splices coz you dont have time, you can do one thing. When I start, first I reolour the base to the second pokes with the eraser trick. Then it is quite easy to start splices and finish them.

Tyrant Venusaur

The Malefic Venusaur
Ok, I'm a newbie at splicing, since I only started about 2 weeks ago, so if the sprites suck, then there's my excuse :p. Ok, first time also putting an image on a forum so I don't know how to do it exactly, so I'm just gonna give this method a try.

newpokemonspriteuploadrof9.png
[/URL][/IMG]

pokemonrevampcollectionhb7.png
[/URL][/IMG]

oh yeah, i forgot to say, all advice are wanted. I know that I need to improve with shading, so plz nothing about that cuz I'm practicing

Edit: Yes! I made it bigger! I just decided to post my revamps cuz i'm bored. I hope i make it good like the splices pic came out

Update 1: I know I said I was gonna make 3 revamps, but I need to finish homework rite now so I made only 2, gonna make Raichu tom.

I Like the Venusaurs
you are good with them