• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Overrated?

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Ever since this series came out, there has been nothing but positive reviews (well, almost) for this series. It was well ranked on ANN's (however, being fan-voted) and many other top anime lists. I do admit this series being above average in many aspects, but having finished the series just recently, I was disappointed to say the least about the series concerning all the hype that came with it.

Animation: The animation is decent, a few moments did impress me a lot (such as the concert scene with Haruhi playing the guitar). But other times, the animation is quite average. The series is really not the pinnacle of how great animation can be.

Storyline: I was DEEPLY disappointed as the series continued. At first, since the series was a comedy one, I thought it will make fun of many dreaded clichés we see in the immeasurable amount of bad series. It turns out that the story conveniently used the clichés to attract more fans. At the first few episodes, there were quite a few references of the overused models for a character (especially the second episode). However, as the story continued these jokes were no longer used and the series, frankly, went to being almost any other ordinary comedy anime (although I admit, at times the story can be quite amusing).

Characters: This is perhaps the selling point for the series as Haruhi is becoming one of the most noticeable character in the industry. The character design is okay, but their personalities are, once again, nothing out of the ordinary. You have an unmotivated, cynical main male character. A hyper and annoying female main character, a fanservice/moe girl, the girl with glasses (althought, her character development was good) and the "nice guy you might suspect as a homosexual for the fangirls". Frankly, all of the character development they had were overused (ex. Haruhi becoming more caring) and expected.

And I'm not even gonna bother talking about the music, it is incredibly screechy and annoying (as you would expect from any other crappy moe anime) and really not a defining icon of a good aime.

If anyone would like to correct me if I am wrong on any of my arguments, I'm all ears.

Anzua2

It's overrated like hell. That doesn't really mean anything about its quality, however, because many fans treat it like the best thing ever concieved.

Sammi

Banned
Though I enjoyed watching the series I did find a large amount of flaws. I found the story a little... plain and boring, I did not like how Haruhi's character just changed so drastically in the same manner as a lot of other Anime characters. I don't really get why the series is so worshipped, especially since a lot of the character personalities like Mikuru's are really overused and annoying. I didn't mind Yuki, Ryoko and Itsuki that much but others made me go :/ at times.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
I don't really get why the series is so worshipped.

Character designs, and that is the sole reason why the series is so worshiped.

I find it disgusting that a series like this gets more recognition than master pieces like FLCL or Pale Cocoon just because "the characters are cuter", it is incredibly shallow and really makes me lose faith in the anime-fan community.

Haruhists, we know you are somewhere. Crawl out of your hole!

Sammi

Banned
Oh dear my. Really? I always thought it was along the lines of something else such as the personalities themself. Dear my...

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Oh dear my. Really? I always thought it was along the lines of something else such as the personalities themself. Dear my...

The characters really had no personalities. They are as generic/soulless as they can be. If the fans liked the series for that, then they might as well buy every single anime released and kiss the series' ***.

HelloKitty17

therocketsummer</3
I guess you could say it was overrated. I liked the overall theme of the episodes and everything, but I did find myself bored and times and a lot of things just seemed cliche D:

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Usually there are thousands of Haruhi fans raving about what a masterpiece this series is. Where are you guys now?

Asrialys

Don't be silly. There isn't a hole big enough to hold a single true Haruhiist :p

And try asking somewhere where you'll actually get a better response. I'm sure there are lots of people in here who've seen it, but this seems misplaced. Asking if Naruto and Bleach are overrated would probably work better here.

Anyway...

This show is blatantly pandering to the fans of anime (otaku-pandering?). Of course it won't be for everyone, especially those who can't stand "generic" characters. Think about it: what kinds of anime get more notice nowadays? Heck, just go to AnimeSuki's forums and see which anime have their own section. Mostly shows with enormous fanbases. Everything else fights for first page in that other general forum. Of course, there are a bunch of anime in that section that get as much discussion as any of special few that get their own forum. But it's not like those many who watch the more popular shows don't watch things you consider pure genius. There are just things that are easier for them to discuss.

Back to Haruhi, the show's fanbase is just so huge that it'll cover up others. Not to mention that Kyoto Animation's recent hype helps a bit. Yes, the characters are overused stereotypes, but that has hardly stopped people from loving them. And you know, most of what you've already said in the first post explains why it has such a huge following.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
it's popular because Hare Hare Yukai is an infectious, hypnotizing dance that lured in the entire world through widespread usage of internet memes. XD Nah, but for the record, I liked the show myself.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Asking if Naruto and Bleach are overrated would probably work better here.

Do I REALLY need to ask an obvious question like that?

it's popular because Hare Hare Yukai is an infectious, hypnotizing dance that lured in the entire world through widespread usage of internet memes.

AKA skinny fanboys dancing to the annoying song?

Angelique

transcending love~
The storyline is not boring. If you read the books (which the anime is based on) you would find the story is actually quite complicated and interesting. The only reason why we haven't seen much of the plot so far is because there's only, what, fourteen episodes? XP

Also, the animation quality is astouding good for a "mainstream" show. Compare it's usual quality with shows like Naruto or Tsubasa and you'll discover that Suzumiya Haruhi retains (although it flunctuates sometimes) a usually high animation quality - for example, the streets of Tokyo, the scenery, the sweat, and then there's the whole Asakura versus Nagato scene.

Character-wise, they are unique. The charm of Suzumiya Haruhi is that character stereotypes are taken are given such an interesting twist and spin to them, they become relatable, likeable and ALIVE. Haruhi is what you'd call a "tsundere who isn't a normal tsundere" and Kyon is different from most annoying cheerful male protagonists, with his astouding normality (in contrast to the supports and other main) and cynical commentary (although his obession with Mikuru did annoy me at times)

Itsuki is a philosophical nutcase that somehow keeps a sense of poise and saneness and Nagato is "quiet book-worm girl" who is a super-computer. Mikuru was the only annoying character because this "put a twist on a stereotype" didn't quite work with her.

Haruhi is really, the central drive of the series though. Her melancholy (and the reason to it) and various aspects to her "twist-new tsundere" characterisation such as her awkwardness when regarding being thanked, and her at other times eccentrically hyperactive behaviour glues you to the screen. Admit it, even if you hate her, she can be compelling at her best.

And the songs and singing isn't actually that bad. Songs likes God Knows and COOL EDITION are super-catchy and cool while Hare Hare Yukai is perky in a nice way, really capturing what the whole series is about.

Sure, it may be somewhat overated, for it is extremely unusual for a series with only fourteen episodes to become a cult classic but if you think about it, the reasons to why is so popular aren't unfounded.

I'm proud to call myself a Haruhiist. Sure, I don't worship the series day and night and I don't go all defensive and passionate when it comes to Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu but I liked the show. It has its flaws, just like very other show, but I think its charm just forces you to overlook its bad points.

Unless it's a show that has over 50+ episodes and has been marketted for mainly teenage boys (Sailor Moon is the only exception to this) then you can assume that it's popular because it must have had something that just pulls you in.

Umi Mizuno

☠ one girl army
The thing I never understood was why it was called the Melancholy of Haruhi instead of the Melancholy of Kyon. Kyon has been more bored than any other character in the series.

The Melancholy of Haruhi fandom boomed overnight, prior to it's release, no one really knew of it since there was no good official website that could say a lot about it. Other than the character designs, it was the beautiful animation that caught the everyone's eye. I mean in a world where lots of anime have crappy animation, one where there's like super high quality animation is nearly impossible to find.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet

I find it disgusting that a series like this gets more recognition than master pieces like FLCL or Pale Cocoon just because "the characters are cuter", it is incredibly shallow and really makes me lose faith in the anime-fan community.

Anime fans are fickle creatures. You should know that by now.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
The storyline is not boring. If you read the books (which the anime is based on) you would find the story is actually quite complicated and interesting. The only reason why we haven't seen much of the plot so far is because there's only, what, fourteen episodes? XP

Remind me why it is complicated? And A LOT of things can be done in just 14 episodes. Heck, FLCL only had 6 yet it had one of the most complete storyline ever (if you can't notice the storyline and only think of FLCL as a comedy series, go kill yourself).

Also, the animation quality is astouding good for a "mainstream" show. Compare it's usual quality with shows like Naruto or Tsubasa and you'll discover that Suzumiya Haruhi retains (although it flunctuates sometimes) a usually high animation quality - for example, the streets of Tokyo, the scenery, the sweat, and then there's the whole Asakura versus Nagato scene.

No, the series would be A LOT better if the quality of animation remained consistent, which it did NOT.

Character-wise, they are unique. The charm of Suzumiya Haruhi is that character stereotypes are taken are given such an interesting twist and spin to them, they become relatable, likeable and ALIVE. Haruhi is what you'd call a "tsundere who isn't a normal tsundere" and Kyon is different from most annoying cheerful male protagonists, with his astouding normality (in contrast to the supports and other main) and cynical commentary (although his obession with Mikuru did annoy me at times)

This is just an example of how shallow and misguided Haruhi fans can be. Every single character did NOT act to the exception of their respective character stereotypes. Haruhi is the annoying *****y hyper girl, nothing else. Kyon is the cynical, sarcastic and lazy male, nothing else. Yuki is just like any other "girl with glasses". The series put them under the disguise of creative characters while they really aren't, it is your adoration for the series that made them more interesting than they originally were.

God, where is HK when you need him?

Haruhi is really, the central drive of the series though. Her melancholy (and the reason to it) and various aspects to her "twist-new tsundere" characterisation such as her awkwardness when regarding being thanked, and her at other times eccentrically hyperactive behaviour glues you to the screen. Admit it, even if you hate her, she can be compelling at her best.

Actually, no. Name one instance where Haruhi presented herself as a likable character.

And the songs and singing isn't actually that bad. Songs likes God Knows and COOL EDITION are super-catchy and cool while Hare Hare Yukai is perky in a nice way, really capturing what the whole series is about.

Annoying screechy songs made to pander the fans so that fangirls can dance to the tunes? Sure.

Sure, it may be somewhat overated, for it is extremely unusual for a series with only fourteen episodes to become a cult classic but if you think about it, the reasons to why is so popular aren't unfounded.

No, better short series like FLCL should have gotten more recognition than an anime that's "all style and no substance".

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu but I liked the show.

I think this is the only valid point that you brought up.

Unless it's a show that has over 50+ episodes and has been marketted for mainly teenage boys (Sailor Moon is the only exception to this) then you can assume that it's popular because it must have had something that just pulls you in.[

Actually, I'm not afraid to say tons of fanboys love the series just for the sake of the female characters.

Other than the character designs, it was the beautiful animation that caught the everyone's eye. I mean in a world where lots of anime have crappy animation, one where there's like super high quality animation is nearly impossible to find.

You simply CANNOT call this series SUPER HIGH QUALITY. If anything, this series shouldn't get recognized as an anime with superb animation.

Anime fans are fickle creatures. You should know that by now.

I apologize for having faith in them earlier. I am deeply ashamed with myself.

Anzua2

The thing I never understood was why it was called the Melancholy of Haruhi instead of the Melancholy of Kyon. Kyon has been more bored than any other character in the series.

I thought that was the entire point. Kyon and Haruhi are pretty much the same person, but they express themselves differently. Also, it's rather obvious that the "OMIGAWDPLOTTWIST" at the end of the series will be that Kyon is techincally God, not Haruhi.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
God, where is HK when you need him?

Hey thar.

Actually, no. Name one instance where Haruhi presented herself as a likable character.

The latter half of the series. Particularly episode 12, where most of that she is as humble as a Tibetan monk.

No, better short series like FLCL should have gotten more recognition than an anime that's "all style and no substance".

FLCL actually has a hell of a lot of recognition, both in Japan and the United States.

And your assertion The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is all style and no substance is a serious exaggeration; conversely, FLCL doesn't ooze with a lot of substance, either.

But to make that a negative for either series is silly. Sure, they both have the messages and themes, and also have some substantial character development, but at their heart they're meant to entertain. They aren't like Mushi-shi, Texhnolyze, The Wings of Honneamise, Pale Cocoon, etc. where they have very serious statements to make about humanity and be presented as art (though I find all of the aforementioned unbelievably entertaining).

FLCL and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya are cut from a similar cloth: they're meant to appeal to different facets of the otaku culture to varying degrees (even if TMoHS is a bit more guilty for including Mikuru, the only major blemish for the first series) while providing accessibility to those that normally "don't get anime."

Actually, I'm not afraid to say tons of fanboys love the series just for the sake of the female characters.

The absurd amount of doujinshi for this series agrees with you.

You simply CANNOT call this series SUPER HIGH QUALITY. If anything, this series shouldn't get recognized as an anime with superb animation.

Actually TMoHS does have pretty damn good animation and generally consistent quality. Furthermore, even if I'm not fond of the bishoujo crap that Kyoto Animation churns out, they do what not other animation studio does right now: integrate their characters with their backgrounds so well it's as if they were doing it on cells, not computers. With the exception of their output, every digital anime is rather obvious with this as having "characters and objects moving across a background" as opposed to the days of cell animation when everything is a part of one picture.

AKA skinny fanboys dancing to the annoying song?

Many of them are girls, actually.

Anyhow, I admit to loving The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. By my measurement it's overrated and overhyped, sure; but it's also a very well-directed series with a witty script that sports high production values. The story relies doesn't rely on annoying plot, so I can re-watch multiple times without growing bored of it, and the characters themselves (with the exception of Mikuru) have enough quirks that make them very likable. (And by extension, the two leads have enough human concerns and traits -- for instance, see Haruhi's conversation with Kyon near the train tracks -- to make them genuinely sympathetic.)

Is that kind of explanation what you're looking for?

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Hey thar.
hi2u

The latter half of the series. Particularly episode 12, where most of that she is as humble as a Tibetan monk.

Which really means that the directors went the "easy way out". As most annoying, ignorant main characters would change in an anime - humble.

FLCL actually has a hell of a lot of recognition, both in Japan and the United States.

Okay, maybe FLCL isn't the best example. How about Kino no tabi?

And your assertion The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is all style and no substance is a serious exaggeration

Even if the series is made to entertain, I still find it very, very generically and really doesn't deserve the praise the anime gets.

Actually TMoHS does have pretty damn good animation and generally consistent quality. Furthermore, even if I'm not fond of the bishoujo crap that Kyoto Animation churns out, they do what not other animation studio does right now: integrate their characters with their backgrounds so well it's as if they were doing it on cells, not computers. With the exception of their output, every digital anime is rather obvious with this as having "characters and objects moving across a background" as opposed to the days of cell animation when everything is a part of one picture.

At times, I find the characters to be incredibly flat (no puns intended, or rly?) and the movements at times awkward. What I expected was the concert scene quality animation throughout the whole seires, didn't get it.

The story relies doesn't rely on annoying plot, so I can re-watch multiple times without growing bored of it, and the characters themselves (with the exception of Mikuru) have enough quirks that make them very likable.

I really can't find any re-watch value in this series. The anime wasn't really that funny the first time, and it loses its charm quite quickly. All of the "substories" are really disguised-basic circumstances you would find in other ones.

Is that kind of explanation what you're looking for?

Other than the parts where you were suppose to fully agree with me. Close enough.