• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Overrated?

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Which really means that the directors went the "easy way out". As most annoying, ignorant main characters would change in an anime - humble.

Naw, taking the easy way out would be a completely illogical development for the character, or else in a really contrived way.

Haruhi's eccentricies do gradually simmer a little bit as the series progresses. And for that matter, episode 12 places her in a circumstance where she's never been since middle school: selflessly helping out others.

Okay, maybe FLCL isn't the best example. How about Kino no tabi?

Fair enough, I guess.

Welcome to the club. I'd love it if everyone and their dog would watch and love Pale Cocoon, Texhnolyze, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Mononoke, etc. but that just ain't gonna happen (though Tokikake has a great chance at hitting big over here if pushed right).

Even if the series is made to entertain, I still find it very, very generically and really doesn't deserve the praise the anime gets.

Same could be said for most stories.

Taking conventions and using them isn't inherently a negative, anyhow. Sure, Mikuru is essentially pointless for the first series (and even if she does become of importance later, that doesn't invalidate one's first impressions of her, nor does it give much excuse for the fanboy love), but one can use them in interesting ways or even deconstruct them (such as superheroes with Alan Moore's Watchmen).

What I expected was the concert scene quality animation throughout the whole seires, didn't get it.

That'd be ridiculous. About the only anime that does what you demand is Mushi-shi (and Denno Coil, to a lesser extent).

Anime does not have that kind of budget for television series, and by the criteria for good animation for anime, TMoHS is a true success. It really sports excellent production values (generic character designs aside, though Kyon is a bit refreshing).

I really can't find any re-watch value in this series. The anime wasn't really that funny the first time, and it loses its charm quite quickly.

Naw, the fun is making the mundane entertaining. The really genius directors and writers are able to do this; hell, watch any Hayao Miyazaki pre-Princess Mononoke or something like Takahata's Only Yesterday to see what I mean.

Those type of stories don't really on annoying plots where twists that basically really any suspense for you, and instead focus on the intricacies of the characters and making interesting observations on those characteristics (though not to a pretentious level that someone like, say, Godard entails).

All of the "substories" are really disguised-basic circumstances you would find in other ones.

Is that really a fault, though? If the direction is in full control and has a good use of mise en scene, the screenwriter is focused on a finite story, and the enthusiasm that the staff as a whole puts into it shows, then I don't see that as a mark down.

Other than the parts where you were suppose to fully agree with me. Close enough.

HK+1

Umi Mizuno

☠ one girl army
You simply CANNOT call this series SUPER HIGH QUALITY. If anything, this series shouldn't get recognized as an anime with superb animation.
You must be watching some bootleg form of The Melancholy of Haruhi where their eyes are on their chest or something along those lines. The series has gotten recognized because of superb animation, I don't think you've been paying any attention at all to the fandom or the episodes. Have you seen the Yuki x Ryouko battle? If you don't call the animation superb then I'm shooting your eyes with a laser till you can see it.

You must be watching some bootleg form of The Melancholy of Haruhi where their eyes are on their chest or something along those lines. The series has gotten recognized because of superb animation, I don't think you've been paying any attention at all to the fandom or the episodes. Have you seen the Yuki x Ryouko battle? If you don't call the animation superb then I'm shooting your eyes with a laser till you can see it.

He does have somewhat of a point. The animation Isn't THAT drastic or awe aspiring to point of recognition. If I want say superior anime animation it would be something like FLCL, Akira, or any of Miyazaki stuff.

Seems like People say it has great animation thanks to the infamous ending.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Haruhi's eccentricies do gradually simmer a little bit as the series progresses. And for that matter, episode 12 places her in a circumstance where she's never been since middle school: selflessly helping out others.

Yes, but if the series strives that hard to distinguishes itself from other ordinary series, I expected to see more innovative ways a character can develop. Clearly, this series did NOT have that.

Taking conventions and using them isn't inherently a negative, anyhow.

Again, if the series is as innovative as the fans make it to be, then at least a few characters should have been new archetypes opposed of the ones you would find in every other anime.

That'd be ridiculous. About the only anime that does what you demand is Mushi-shi (and Denno Coil, to a lesser extent).

If it is supposedly "THE BEST ANIME EVER!11elevn1111" like fans praise it to be, then it gotta at least match the animation quality of Mushi-shi. (and heck, it is even shorter than Mushi-shi).

though Kyon is a bit refreshing).
How?

Naw, the fun is making the mundane entertaining. The really genius directors and writers are able to do this; hell, watch any Hayao Miyazaki pre-Princess Mononoke or something like Takahata's Only Yesterday to see what I mean.

I've seen fairly amount of Miyazaki myself, and I can say that the devices used to entertain fans are much more subtle and enjoyable than the obvious ones used in Haruhi (ex.awkward and impractical moments).

Those type of stories don't really on annoying plots where twists that basically really any suspense for you, and instead focus on the intricacies of the characters and making interesting observations on those characteristics.

The changes in characters are incredibly generic and it wasn't all that interesting. (I bet most fans knew from the start that Haruhi will turn more humble).

Well, again. This maybe my own expectations of "the best anime ever" being that it can come up with new themes/plots that can seriously surprise me, and at the end of the day, forcing me to watch it again. If Haruhi is gonna be as good as it sounds, then at least it should have done that. Let's just pray that (if there is a second season) the second season will get better.

No, you are making it sound like I simply fault the anime for having poor animations. I did not say that once. I've said that "the quality of animation is inconsistent (not poor, but inconsistent)".

lol

HK

Radiance of Shadows
He does have somewhat of a point. The animation Isn't THAT drastic or awe aspiring to point of recognition. If I want say superior anime animation it would be something like FLCL, Akira, or any of Miyazaki stuff.

Dude, that's stupid.

You're comparing high-budget MOVIES and OVAs to TELEVISION SERIES.

About the only television series that can be compared to the quality of OVA animation is Mushi-shi, and maybe Denno Coil.

Otherwise, that's

Infamous means something negative that is widely known. [/Obligatory nit-pick.]

People say it has great animation because it does have great animation for an anime television series.

Just curious: What's up with these periods?

Yes, but if the series strives that hard to distinguishes itself from other ordinary series, I expected to see more innovative ways a character can develop. Clearly, this series did NOT have that.

... Alright, I'm confused.

You're assuming that this series is trying to distinguish itself from other ordinary series. One could make an argument for that in either way, but that's inconsequential because you don't know the author's intentions.

And "innovative wars a character can develop"? Dude, come on. Most stories ever made -- including the damn great ones, even for anime like FLCL and Evangelion -- have typified character development. They encounter situations and go on from that sometimes because the story calls for it, sometimes it fits for the thematic narrative, and sometimes because that's how it happens in real life.

A person who for a few years has been largely self-serving being asked to help out others and not turning it that plea down is going to be a bit humbled. There is absolutely nothing contrived about that.

People stay largely the same even if there are gradual, small changes over the course of their lifetime. The better writers realize this, and don't force in ridiculous scenarios for characters to move on, but make those subtle shifts to add different dimensions to the characters. This is evident in TMoHS with Haruhi, Kyon, and Yuki as the series progresses -- they remain who they are, but along the way change because of each other.

Point to me where any anime character is clearly the same design -- and I don't mean vague BS generalizations. But there is none. In fact, his character type is practically absent from anime altogether (and no, you can't pigeonhole his or Haruhi's character that easily with stereotypical statements, and don't even try).

I've seen fairly amount of Miyazaki myself, and I can say that the devices used to entertain fans are much more subtle and enjoyable than the obvious ones used in Haruhi (ex.awkward and impractical moments).

facepalm.jpg

The show combines sci-fi with comedy with romance with action and whatever else you can think of. "Awkward and impractical"? How? You seem to have a weird criteria of judgement.

I'm comparing the talent to make the seemingly mundane into something INTEREST. I'm not talking about sensibilities. Miyazaki doesn't carry the same appeals as Takahata or whatever. You're expecting cherry pie and given lemon pie in spite of you thinking that cherry pie is the only good pie.

The changes in characters are incredibly generic and it wasn't all that interesting.

These are very general criticisms and I'm sorry but I can't take them seriously. Maybe I've just read too many of these type of assertions before (blah blah this is overrated blah generic blah no development blah plot holes blah pacing is awkward blah blah boring blah). They don't offer any perspective other than "I didn't like [insert intangible concept here] because of such-and-such."

Also, another example: Giant Robo is celebrated as the best super-robot anime ever, as also largely thought of to be one of the best mecha ever. If you like at it with a critical eye that you would with Mushi-shi or Pale Cocoon you will find it laughable and lacking in literary merit.

BUT THEN YOU WOULD BE MISSING THE POINT.

Giant Robo is about pure, kick-***, unbelievable fun with bat-**** insane developments and moments. It's something to be enjoyed. And, believe it or not, A LOT of the best stories out there are purely for entertain. They take pre-existing ideas/characters/stories/whatever and build on those concepts and tackle them in a confident and/or fresh manner that makes them interesting.

(I bet most fans knew from the start that Haruhi will turn more humble).

And that Naota would grow up. And that Kino will always escape from her town's unscathed; likewise with Ginko encountering any mushi. And that Shinji will realize that he has to face reality. And that Ura will discover the secrets of the past and his world.

Now do you see how commonplace and useless those critiques are?

No, you are making it sound like I simply fault the anime for having poor animations. I did not say that once. I've said that "the quality of animation is inconsistent (not poor, but inconsistent)".

But in some people's definition poor animation is also inconsistent.

And of course the animation is "inconsistent." 99.999999~% of anime has inconsistent animation. Different key animators have different ranges of talents. Some episodes have more of the budget poured into them than others.

[lots of unfair expectations built up by fan hype]

Stop that. Don't base the merits on what fans say. You're final verdict of any type of fiction will always be warped if you do.

If I rated Evangelion and FLCL based on what the fans say, I wouldn't think nearly as much of them. Many of their fans say that they're the most deep anime ever created. ********. They're not thematically deep. Their messages aren't subtle.

But you know what? That doesn't matter. I base my opinion on what the actual story tells me. I don't think "Well this is obviously going to be one of the best shows ever because a lot of people like it." I judge the material based on the material itself, and that's that. I like Citizen Kane not because so many film critics want to be cool and list it as the best film ever and go on about how it has inspired so many other movies, but because -- in spite of how it hasn't aged completely gracefully -- it's a very human, tragic, and involving story.

And honestly TMoHS isn't just a bunch of uncooth fanboys drooling over otaku-pandering elements. Plenty of critical and elitist jack-asses -- which includes myself -- think very fondly of the show. Finally, it also has elements that transcrend the annoyances of many anime and appeals to many who aren't just "hardcore otaku."

When was FLCL considered an OVA? I never heard this before. Is it cause it has only 6 episodes?

That's bull.

Those example I made were poor of me for a comparison, but I still think the animation isn't as great as people perchieve it as.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
When was FLCL considered an OVA? I never heard this before. Is it cause it has only 6 episodes?

That's bull.

FLCL is and an original video animation. No way to dance around the topic.

And get on AIM, d00d!

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Just curious: What's up with these periods?
Something is wrong with my quoting.

And "innovative wars a character can develop"? Dude, come on. Most stories ever made -- including the damn great ones, even for anime like FLCL and Evangelion -- have typified character development. They encounter situations and go on from that sometimes because the story calls for it, sometimes it fits for the thematic narrative, and sometimes because that's how it happens in real life.

Typified, maybe. But I really see the fact that the character development being so "convenient" as a negative trait. How many times we have seen anime characters "grow up" at the right moment? How many times does a quite person "open up" to others in a flash? And does it really happen in real life? Can a person change that easily, and SPECIFICALLY to the way the characters have gone? Why do they always change positively?

A person who for a few years has been largely self-serving being asked to help out others and not turning it that plea down is going to be a bit humbled. There is absolutely nothing contrived about that.

Have you seen House M.D? Whenever the guy gets asked for help, he does it, but does it only to please himself and enlarge his inflated ego. Why can't this be in the case in Haruhi? Why can't she ***** about how annoying and needy the others are instead of questioning her own ways? I expect someone as egotistical as her to act the opposite way she did. Of course, the reason that she acted this way is the story will get MUCH messier and harder to continue. And this really doesn't make the series as great as you make it sound to be.

People stay largely the same even if there are gradual, small changes over the course of their lifetime. The better writers realize this, and don't force in ridiculous scenarios for characters to move on, but make those subtle shifts to add different dimensions to the characters. This is evident in TMoHS with Haruhi, Kyon, and Yuki as the series progresses -- they remain who they are, but along the way change because of each other.

Again, the fact that changed is good. But why do they always change into the ways we expect someone be?

Point to me where any anime character is clearly the same design -- and I don't mean vague BS generalizations. But there is none. In fact, his character type is practically absent from anime altogether (and no, you can't pigeonhole his or Haruhi's character that easily with stereotypical statements, and don't even try).

I don't remember the exact lines (it's been a while since I watched the series), but after her concert, I remember her thinking about the joys of helping others (bear with me if I'm wrong). This is just an incredibly illogical change in character. How can a person, acting in a way for over 16 (is that her age?) years, changing over the matter of... minutes? Psychologically, her views on the world is already set and it will take only the most traumatic events to change her personality. Yet she almost changed completely, would this happen in real life? (And don't even try disapprove that, it is the topic for my final psychology essay).

The media always advertise stories where "people change, and mostly to the better" because it is a better story. You've said earlier than a character develop because it may have happened in real life. How many times have we heard of stories were killers go into jail, finish their time and get arrested on the next day?

I will, again, use the House M.D example. At the beginning, I thought this show was very shallow and focus on the theme of a maverick doctor "learn to treat the society with respect and become a better person". While it was the case with the first few episodes, I was wrong. The show was amazing in terms of portraying REAL human thoughts opposed of the ones we are used to hear/ want to hear. House was still an *** and treat others exactly the same way he did no matter what circumstances he's been through.

The show combines sci-fi with comedy with romance with action and whatever else you can think of. "Awkward and impractical"? How? You seem to have a weird criteria of judgement.

Weird criteria of judgement? No. I really did not find the series funny at all (And I am not a hard-***). The romance was the ones you see in a lot of other series, and there were really not a lot of actions.

I'm comparing the talent to make the seemingly mundane into something INTEREST. I'm not talking about sensibilities. Miyazaki doesn't carry the same appeals as Takahata or whatever. You're expecting cherry pie and given lemon pie in spite of you thinking that cherry pie is the only good pie.

Actually, my expectations are quite the opposite of you are pie example. I am sick of all the animes using convinent "cherry pie" themes/plots and want to see some "lemon pie", Haruhi clearly hasn't done that and therefore is not as much as a breath of fresh air as you make it to be.

These are very general criticisms and I'm sorry but I can't take them seriously. Maybe I've just read too many of these type of assertions before (blah blah this is overrated blah generic blah no development blah plot holes blah pacing is awkward blah blah boring blah). They don't offer any perspective other than "I didn't like [insert intangible concept here] because of such-and-such."

But aren't every single criticisms like that? I didn't like [insert intangible concept here]?

Giant Robo is about pure, kick-***, unbelievable fun with bat-**** insane developments and moments. It's something to be enjoyed. And, believe it or not, A LOT of the best stories out there are purely for entertain. They take pre-existing ideas/characters/stories/whatever and build on those concepts and tackle them in a confident and/or fresh manner that makes them interesting.

Your example on Giant Robot made sense. But it is irrelevant to Haruhi, which is supposed to NOT ONLY a sci-fi comedy, but also includes romance and slices-of-life and many other genres. Is it not acceptable to criticize an anime on the aspects which it actually tried to focus on?

And that Naota would grow up. And that Kino will always escape from her town's unscathed; likewise with Ginko encountering any mushi. And that Shinji will realize that he has to face reality. And that Ura will discover the secrets of the past and his world.

Now do you see how commonplace and useless those critiques are?

Naota grew up, but at least his maturity didn't come overnight, and at the end of the series, he is not the opposite of what he used to be.

Shinji should have ran away, as it would be the "abnormal" things to do instead of went back and fought the angels. What I didn't understand is that the fact that the series tries REALLY, REALLY hard to portrait him as a coward and non-heroic (for the lack of a better word). I personally believed that it would have been a better anime if he actually ran away, but he didn't because who the **** would watch the series where the main character is a wuss and doesn't drive giant robots to save the day?

And of course the animation is "inconsistent." 99.999999~% of anime has inconsistent animation. Different key animators have different ranges of talents. Some episodes have more of the budget poured into them than others.

I admit defeat on this one.

Stop that. Don't base the merits on what fans say. You're final verdict of any type of fiction will always be warped if you do.

Actually, no. I would NEVER judge a series based on what the fans say. The reason I made this thread is not to bash the fans, but to help them come into the realization that the series is no where near as good as they make it to be. Most fans are brainless oafs and watch only for the sole purpose of escapism.

But you know what? That doesn't matter. I base my opinion on what the actual story tells me. I don't think "Well this is obviously going to be one of the best shows ever because a lot of people like it." I judge the material based on the material itself, and that's that. I like Citizen Kane not because so many film critics want to be cool and list it as the best film ever and go on about how it has inspired so many other movies, but because -- in spite of how it hasn't aged completely gracefully -- it's a very human, tragic, and involving story.

Again, I would NEVER EVER (repeating) base an anime on what the general public says about a series. All the views I have posted in this thread are my own opinions, not because I listened to some whiny teenager in puberty's comments about the series.

elitist jack-asses

That's you alright. lol

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
The absurd amount of doujinshi for this series agrees with you.

in my experience, doujinshi count seems to act as a surprisingly good measure for the popularity of one series. Though, hopefully a lack of doujinshi doesn't indicate much beyond a lack of hype (would you cry if I told you that, in the several H-sites I've visited, both English and Japanese, I have yet to see a Texhnolyze doujin?).

Actually TMoHS does have pretty damn good animation and generally consistent quality. Furthermore, even if I'm not fond of the bishoujo crap that Kyoto Animation churns out, they do what not other animation studio does right now: integrate their characters with their backgrounds so well it's as if they were doing it on cells, not computers. With the exception of their output, every digital anime is rather obvious with this as having "characters and objects moving across a background" as opposed to the days of cell animation when everything is a part of one picture.

wait a minute? Are you sure that's a good analogy? Back in the days of cel-animation (for both western and eastern animation), I recall a lot of foreground elements would often stand out from the way they're colored more lightly than the background (and it really tended to give stuff away.... for example, you'd know a particular door would open at some point or a random object on the ground would hold some kind of significance). Though, maybe I'm not recalling the best examples.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Typified, maybe. But I really see the fact that the character development being so "convenient" as a negative trait. How many times we have seen anime characters "grow up" at the right moment? How many times does a quite person "open up" to others in a flash?

Except Haruhi doesn't do that. (See below.)

And does it really happen in real life? Can a person change that easily, and SPECIFICALLY to the way the characters have gone?

Given certain circumstances and different personalities: yes, actually.

Comparing it to fiction... well, it's just...

Why do they always change positively?

... lazy writing more often than naught. However, occasionally you get genuine examples of change that is contrived, yet the person is still recognizable as themselves.

Have you seen House M.D?

Nope.

Why can't she ***** about how annoying and needy the others are instead of questioning her own ways?

With the exception of the one incident (which I'll detail below) she pretty much does just that.

Of course, the reason that she acted this way is the story will get MUCH messier and harder to continue. And this really doesn't make the series as great as you make it sound to be.

?

Again, the fact that changed is good. But why do they always change into the ways we expect someone be?

It isn't the case here, but in the case of a lot of fiction it is merely to pander to the audience who have set expectations and don't want to be reminded of reality.

I don't remember the exact lines (it's been a while since I watched the series), but after her concert, I remember her thinking about the joys of helping others (bear with me if I'm wrong).

No, actually she's regretful that she couldn't perform better. (A bit of egotism, there.) She's also wondering exactly what she's doing with her life with now.

It's Kyon who makes the observation that she's acting a bit calmer because someone thanked her.

This is just an incredibly illogical change in character. How can a person, acting in a way for over 16 (is that her age?) years, changing over the matter of... minutes?

Uh, no. She didn't act this way for most of her life. It's only when she grows bored of "normal" life that for the past couple or so years she's been acting the way we see her when she's introduced.

And she pretty much retains that hot-headed brashness from start to finish. She's just a bit caught off guard that someone would thank her. But in the end she has her own plans of what to do (see roping Kyon and eventually the rest of the brigade into forming a band for next year's festival).

(And don't even try disapprove that, it is the topic for my final psychology essay).

Except I think you're mis-reading her character. :p

Weird criteria of judgement? No. I really did not find the series funny at all (And I am not a hard-***). The romance was the ones you see in a lot of other series, and there were really not a lot of actions.

Naw, the romance comes about a lot more naturally than most series. There's a lot of subtle changes in attitude with Kyon and Haruhi that both the series' fans and detractors miss (likely due to the original broadcast order).

I don't see how lacking action is a negative.

And as for comedy, different strokes, man. I like dry wit and observations. That requires a bit of intelligence by the screenwriter (originally the author, though). I like intelligence in comedy. Sometimes I can go for slapstick but rarely do because it lacks the aforementioned intelligence. (Except The General, which is the best silent film and one of the smartest comedies ever.)

Actually, my expectations are quite the opposite of you are pie example. I am sick of all the animes using convinent "cherry pie" themes/plots and want to see some "lemon pie",

You don't like cherry pie? : (

Haruhi clearly hasn't done that and therefore is not as much as a breath of fresh air as you make it to be.

Except I'm not trying to make it out to be original. It simply takes pre-existing constructs, like most stories do, and uses them both in similar and dissimilar ways.

But aren't every single criticisms like that? I didn't like [insert intangible concept here]?

General fan criticisms, yeah. Most of those don't matter to me, though.

See, you seem like an intelligent guy and all, so I'd think you'd be able to tackle it beyond that method. There is criticism (and I've leveled some of it out myself on occasions) that goes into specifics and scrutinizes direct characterization and development, giving explicit reasoning behind it.

Your example on Giant Robot made sense. But it is irrelevant to Haruhi, which is supposed to NOT ONLY a sci-fi comedy, but also includes romance and slices-of-life and many other genres. Is it not acceptable to criticize an anime on the aspects which it actually tried to focus on?

Except when it is able to balance them handedly, what's there to really criticize?

Naota grew up, but at least his maturity didn't come overnight, and at the end of the series, he is not the opposite of what he used to be.

And neither does Haruhi, nor did she immediately change overnight. (See above.)

Shinji should have ran away, as it would be the "abnormal" things to do instead of went back and fought the angels. What I didn't understand is that the fact that the series tries REALLY, REALLY hard to portrait him as a coward and non-heroic (for the lack of a better word).

Uh, even though he saved the Earth numerous times? He did things that most people would be too frightened to do in real life?

If that isn't heroic, I don't know what is. (And no, it isn't the generic stereotype with manly men doing manly things. That's a fantasy-styled heroism. Real heroism is different from that.)

I personally believed that it would have been a better anime if he actually ran away, but he didn't because who the **** would watch the series where the main character is a wuss and doesn't drive giant robots to save the day?

The whole series is about facing reality. Shinji only ran away when he went through a really overwhelming situation that could harm people, both times involving people he knew (and later on his friends). He came eventually in order to defend them, not out of duty, but because he was the only one who could help.

That speaks volumes about his appreciation for others' lives and how he couldn't care less about his own (see episode 18, 24).

Actually, no. I would NEVER judge a series based on what the fans say. The reason I made this thread is not to bash the fans, but to help them come into the realization that the series is no where near as good as they make it to be.

Well, yeah, but in a lot of your posts you seem to be acting as if this is a negative to the series when it doesn't even try to become "deep" or whatever, when this is just fan misconception.

If you were to have clarified yourself in that manner, a bit less confusion would be present.

Most fans are brainless oafs and watch only for the sole purpose of escapism.

Is that wrong, though? I mean, entertainment originally started as escapism, so those who use it solely for that are just using it for the more practical reasons.

Granted, fiction has become such a large part of certain cultures that it's taken on root in reality, and now we have people who get paid to judge it. Pretty wacky, when thinking about it logically, but whatever.

All the views I have posted in this thread are my own opinions, not because I listened to some whiny teenager in puberty's comments about the series.

I think the majority of them are adult males.

=D

That's you alright. lol

*Puffs out chest.*

Though, unlike many elitists, I don't go around constantly criticizing shows unless an opinion is asked either directly to me or in general (i.e. what do you think of this show, etc.). I also don't think that those who primarily enjoy fluff aren't "lesser" or whatever the hell.

I do wish more folks would watch my favorites, though.

(would you cry if I told you that, in the several H-sites I've visited, both English and Japanese, I have yet to see a Texhnolyze doujin?).

No.

But I would if you told me the opposite of Haibane Renmei. Or any ABe anime, for that matter. (There's something completely asexual about anything he gets involved in... That, and his Texhnolyze-Coke parody doujinshi is brilliant.)

Back in the days of cel-animation (for both western and eastern animation), I recall a lot of foreground elements would often stand out from the way they're colored more lightly than the background (and it really tended to give stuff away.... for example, you'd know a particular door would open at some point or a random object on the ground would hold some kind of significance).

The foreground elements would stand out, though at the same time the characters wouldn't look as if they're sliding across backgrounds, like is the case with most digital anime

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
No.

But I would if you told me the opposite of Haibane Renmei. Or any ABe anime, for that matter.

Rule 34, man. Though I have yet to see it, there's gotta be at least one out there somewhere (if not a doujinshi, a stand-alone oekaki pic). Try all you want, but there's no denying the Rule.

BTW, I ordered Haibane Renmei, but Amazon keeps saying they're "temporarily" out of stock. I'm aware of Geneon's collapse, but why would Amazon say that? Are there still some unsold, undistributed shipments or something (if that is the case, they sure are taking their sweet time.... I must've ordered the thing about a month ago)?

That, and his Texhnolyze-Coke parody doujinshi is brilliant.

huh? Link, now!

The foreground elements would stand out, though at the same time the characters wouldn't look as if they're sliding across backgrounds, like is the case with most digital anime

huh? Youtube examples, now!

Last edited:

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT

Watch it, NOW!

I think I screwed up the sentencing there. What I meant to say is, the characters always change to the way that is easy for the directors to continue the anime.

It isn't the case here, but in the case of a lot of fiction it is merely to pander to the audience who have set expectations and don't want to be reminded of reality.

Actually, I thought that was the exact point of the series - to pander the fans. And how in ANY way can you call a fan-pandering anime one of the best ever?

Really, if you watch the anime again without focusing on the story or the character. You can easily see how shallow the series really is, the characters say the EXACT things you would expect them to say. During the "awkward" moments of the show, each character's reactions are nearly always exaggerated and made to please the fans. The media attracts us by making us think "Man, I'm glad I'm not that person in that situation and I can definitely act better than him/her given the circumstances" to inflate our own ego.

She's also wondering exactly what she's doing with her life with now.

A few days ago she was still her old self, suspicious?

Uh, no. She didn't act this way for most of her life. It's only when she grows bored of "normal" life that for the past couple or so years she's been acting the way we see her when she's introduced.

I believe Haruhi is around 16 to 17 years old? Her past few years are the most important years in life and usually sets the way one would look at life (Freud's stages). Can one change THAT easily and dramatically? Other than for the fact that it gets the fans "into it"?

Except I think you're mis-reading her character. :p

no u.

Naw, the romance comes about a lot more naturally than most series. There's a lot of subtle changes in attitude with Kyon and Haruhi that both the series' fans and detractors miss (likely due to the original broadcast order).

And if you rewatch the anime again, you could easily see how simplistic and shallow the devices the directors used to engage the fans into this series. The simplistic events are exact the ones that would make a fan go 'AWWW THATS SO CUTE!!!111'.

I don't see how lacking action is a negative.

You misunderstood me. I meant that the series did not focus on action so I don't have much to criticize it on that department, which I haven't.

And as for comedy, different strokes, man. I like dry wit and observations. That requires a bit of intelligence by the screenwriter (originally the author, though).

I still find the "jokes" in Haruhi pathetically simplistic.

You don't like cherry pie? : (

I like raw cherry, but for some retarded reason, cherry in all other types of food have a strange bitter flavor that makes me vomit. And I like blueberry pie....

See, you seem like an intelligent guy and all

Nah, I'm pretty much an average person.

so I'd think you'd be able to tackle it beyond that method. There is criticism (and I've leveled some of it out myself on occasions) that goes into specifics and scrutinizes direct characterization and development, giving explicit reasoning behind it.

Yes, but specifying and justifying the reason behind a criticism is STILL the formate you mentioned earlier. In fact, EVERY single criticism ever made, no matter how great, follows that format in some sense.

And as I made myself very clear in this thread, I did not like the series and I really would not watch it again just for the sake of finding new arguments and evidences.

And neither does Haruhi, nor did she immediately change overnight. (See above.)

All my arguments on that goes to really just 3 points:
1.) Haruhi's changes in character were too drastic
2.) Her change in character were really illogical
3.) Her character changes were really to pander the fans and increase her popularity. After all, everyone loves a sweet girl more than a *****y one.

Uh, even though he saved the Earth numerous times? He did things that most people would be too frightened to do in real life?

No, I wasn't arguing about the fact that he was un-herioc, which he wasn't. I argued that Shinji did not run away and fought the angels even when his characters as described earlier suggests that he would do the opposite.

The whole series is about facing reality. Shinji only ran away when he went through a really overwhelming situation that could harm people, both times involving people he knew (and later on his friends). He came eventually in order to defend them, not out of duty, but because he was the only one who could help.

And, again. EVA still is a form of fiction, as it doesn't include our self-interest. Why can't Shinji be more selfish and think of his own safety first and run away?

That speaks volumes about his appreciation for others' lives and how he couldn't care less about his own (see episode 18, 24).

Which makes him, to some extent, similar to every damn ****ing main character in anime. Can you honestly say you want to see more people like that in anime? I know we appreciate these values in our society, but don't you wish you could see someone ****ing different for once?

Well, yeah, but in a lot of your posts you seem to be acting as if this is a negative to the series when it doesn't even try to become "deep" or whatever, when this is just fan misconception.

I don't hate this anime for not being "deep", I hate this series for abandoning its potential and use most of the time to pander the fans.

Is that wrong, though? I mean, entertainment originally started as escapism, so those who use it solely for that are just using it for the more practical reasons.

But ONLY for escapism? Isn't that a bit shallow?

I think the majority of them are adult males.

I think it is safe to say most Haruhi fans, or anime fans for that matter. Are between the age for 12-15. Which is pretty much the worst period in a person's life in terms of idiocy.

*Puffs out chest.*

Cue Tarzan scream?

Though, unlike many elitists, I don't go around constantly criticizing shows unless an opinion is asked either directly to me or in general (i.e. what do you think of this show, etc.). I also don't think that those who primarily enjoy fluff aren't "lesser" or whatever the hell.

While I am no where near the point of elitists, and I do leave moe-watchers, fluff-watchers alone. I really gets dissapointed when they start to think their own little series as god and reject every other ones. And glorify their tastes by praising the series they watch to be "the best anime ever" and look down upon people who like other genres.

Maybe it is just me, but I've seen too many times where fans blindly support MoHS over other animes without looking at both with a critical eye. To me, it is just sad.

Ridley-X4

UN-LTD AWESOME WORKS
Haruhi was never, and never will be, overrated.

Naruto? Pokemon anime? Bleach? THAT'S overrated.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen

say what? Pokemon's a pretty commonly-watched anime, but I tend to see it bashed to no end, often times treated as the worst aspect of the franchise.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Haruhi was never, and never will be, overrated.

Don't you have to make some imbecilic "GUNBUSTER PWNS" post somewhere?

Seriously, you need to learn the definition of what overrated means, then come back. Most people with positive IQ will not categorize Pokemon/Naruto as a good anime, so how on earth can it be considered overrated? If you are just here to troll and try to make yourself sound witty and rebellious, you might as well drop kick your computer out of the window.

Don't you have to make some imbecilic "GUNBUSTER PWNS" post somewhere?

Seriously, you need to learn the definition of what overrated means, then come back. Most people with positive IQ will not categorize Pokemon/Naruto as a good anime, so how on earth can it be considered overrated? If you are just here to troll and try to make yourself sound witty and rebellious, you might as well drop kick your computer out of the window.

Did you just say Naruto wasn't overrated? Oh wow.

And in case you haven't noticed, many people who visit these forums consider Pokemon and Naruto to be some of the best anime they've ever seen, as well as the only.

Ridley-X4

UN-LTD AWESOME WORKS
Don't I have to make some imbecilic "HARUHI SUX" post somewhere?

Fixed.

Seriously, you need to learn the definition of what overrated means, then come back. Most people with positive IQ will not categorize Pokemon/Naruto as a good anime, so how on earth can it be considered overrated?

Because idorts walk around with leaf village headbands at my school and go on about Deidara. Plus, there's over 9000 people here who think the pokemon anime is the sh*t.

If you are just here to troll and try to make yourself sound witty and rebellious, you might as well drop kick your computer out of the window.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAW SOMEBODY DOESN'T LIKE MY FAVORITE ANIME THEREFORE HE SUCKS BAAAAAAAAAAAW!

If this whole shmeer isn't copypasta, IT IS NOW!!!! :D Seriously man, you're comedy gold.

Last edited: