• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Overrated?

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT

I've spent at least 2k words in this thread justifying why this series is not as good as fans made it to be. And not once have I said anything like "haruhi suks". And the people who actually have the guts to say the series suck and provides enough evidence are not everywhere.

So obvious troll is obvious.

Because idorts walk around with leaf village headbands at my school and go on about Deidara. Plus, there's over 9000 people here who think the pokemon anime is the sh*t.

And you consider them people with positive IQ?

If this whole shmeer isn't copypasta, IT IS NOW!!!! :D Seriously man, you're comedy gold.

No it wasn't, and if there is no sarcasm in that post, thanks.

Did you just say Naruto wasn't overrated? Oh wow.

And in case you haven't noticed, many people who visit these forums consider Pokemon and Naruto to be some of the best anime they've ever seen, as well as the only.

And since when they are considered people with positive IQ?

I really have no problem with people who says "Naruto is cool", because it is the ****ing point of the show. It might not be cool to more mature people like you and me, but who cares what other people think? Even I occasionally find the jutsuu(spelling?) creative and sounds fancy. But when people start to compare this series with other ones, that's when people like me step in.

I've been this section of the forums for quite a while now (I've lurked for a long time), and all I see are people who constantly laugh at Naruto /Pokemon fans. I admit even I chuckle at the "DID YOU SEE WHAT NARUTO DID" posts once in a while. But bashing them? What the **** is the point? Most of them are really just 12-14 years old kids, and physically that is pretty much the worst state in terms of brain development in a human's life. Sure they will get angry, but do you really think they are going to understand your reasoning? Just let kids be kids, I used to watch/and like Naruto, I used to write fanfics, I used to bash Naruto dub when I was 13, and right now I just simply outgrew it. In a few years, they will all come back, realizing how silly they were and probably obtain better taste. Although we can't exclude the possibilities that some people might never grow up.

Last edited:

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
Naruto is super-overrated. Sure, you're right, no one with a decent IQ would like that formulaic crap but I'm afraid to tell you it is much cherished by a depressingly large population of Japan and the rest of the world. Well, some of them are kids, but if you look at the number of teenagers and adults who like that kids' show, you will feel like jumping off the nearest building.

Just says how stupid people can get. Such as yourself.

Yes, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is overrated (never have I saw so many people praising a series that short) but aren't nearly all anime overrated it some degree? At least one Miyazaki film, the Hosoda films, Eva, FLCL, Death Note, Code Geass, FMP, Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X, at least half the stuff many people would consider "great" is also considered overrated by a similar number of people.

But does being overated mean that it's bad? No, unless it's unjustified. And I think the Miyazaki films, FLCL, Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X, FMP and the Hosoda films have a well-justified reason to there popularity. And Haruhi's immense popularity is not unjustified.

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
Naruto is super-overrated. Sure, you're right, no one with a decent IQ would like that formulaic crap but I'm afraid to tell you it is much cherished by a depressingly large population of Japan and the rest of the world. Well, some of them are kids, but if you look at the number of teenagers and adults who like that kids' show, you will feel like jumping off the nearest building.

Yes, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is overrated (never have I saw so many people praising a series that short) but aren't nearly all anime overrated it some degree? At least one Miyazaki film, the Hosoda films, Eva, FLCL, Death Note, Code Geass, FMP, Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X, at least half the stuff many people would consider "great" is also considered overrated by a similar number of people.

But does being overated mean that it's bad? No, unless it's unjustified. And I think the Miyazaki films, FLCL, Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X, FMP and the Hosoda films have a well-justified reason to there popularity. And Haruhi's immense popularity is not unjustified.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
lol

never have I saw so many people praising a series that short

Some of the greatest animes are short series. So that is just one of your failed arguments.

At least one Miyazaki film, the Hosoda films, Eva, FLCL, Death Note, Code Geass, FMP, Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X, at least half the stuff many people would consider "great" is also considered overrated by a similar number of people.

Wow... you really don't understand the meaning of overrated do you? These series are recognized the greatest ones because of their qualities, and none of their aspects were inflated nearly to a degree as the fans have with Haruhi. People don't praise FLCL for providing a philosophical view on the meaning of human life, why? BECAUSE IT IS NOT THE ****ING FOCUS OF THE STORY. I don't know what kind of anime fans you have seen, but I don't know a lot of people who would necessarily praise the animes you mentioned to a degree of over-hyping it. Most people who enjoy shows like that are intelligently enough to compliment on the strong aspects of these animes while criticizing on the weaknesses. This is an entirely different story for fans reactions to Haruhi. "Greatest animation ever"? "Most touching storyline"? "Funniest anime ever?" Never have I seen so much extreme opinions repeat so frequently for an anime, as I mentioned over that long argument with HK, doesn't really deserve it.

And Haruhi's immense popularity is not unjustified.

Wow. Just... wow.

I have repeated this too many times within my previous posts. Haruhi is an anime MADE to attract popularities. The cheap tricks they use to engage the fans into the series are so shallow it is pathetic. Yet blind oafs like you keeps on buying into it think the anime as a masterpiece. The character's are cliche to a retarded degree, the character development are really illogical for an anime that tries to be "real life-like". The jokes and "funny awkward situation" are incredibly simplistic and dry. I could go on and on...

So come back with a well constructed criticisms on my views before you proceed to name calling.

Angelique

transcending love~
patrickstar said:
Some of the greatest animes are short series. So that is just one of your failed arguments.

I think he was saying that not many short serieses have experienced popularity as immense as Haruhi. And all this time, haven't you been ranting on about how popular Haruhi is? And hense, you have made a contradiction of one your own arguements.

patrickstar said:
Wow... you really don't understand the meaning of overrated do you? These series are recognized the greatest ones because of their qualities, and none of their aspects were inflated nearly to a degree as the fans have with Haruhi. People don't praise FLCL for providing a philosophical view on the meaning of human life, why? BECAUSE IT IS NOT THE ****ING FOCUS OF THE STORY. I don't know what kind of anime fans you have seen, but I don't know a lot of people who would necessarily praise the animes you mentioned to a degree of over-hyping it. Most people who enjoy shows like that are intelligently enough to compliment on the strong aspects of these animes while criticizing on the weaknesses. This is an entirely different story for fans reactions to Haruhi. "Greatest animation ever"? "Most touching storyline"? "Funniest anime ever?" Never have I seen so much extreme opinions repeat so frequently for an anime, as I mentioned over that long argument with HK, doesn't really deserve it.

Believe me, many people drop what you would consider "extreme" praises for animes like FLCL (i.e. THIS HAS SUCH PROFOUND AND INSIGHTFUL VIEWS INTO HUMAN LIFE. 'TIS THE BEST!! lolz lolz!!!)

You say you have "never seen so much extreme opinions repeat so frequently for an anime for an anime that doesn't deserve it". Okay, here's a situation. Just because a neo-Nazi says the fall of Hitler was the worst thing to ever happen does not mean the fall of Hitler is the worst thing to ever happen. A Jew might say something completely different. Many people have differing oppinions on different things. One person might say one thing (that Evangelion is the worst anime ever) and the next person might say another (that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread).

Regardless of what you think, that always will be different oppinions on different topics, and you can't say Haruhi is not "great" or whatever the Haruhiists say just because hundreds of others say it is. Do you have proof it is not as great as FLCL? Or Evangelion? Or Tokikake? Because when you fish that "proof" out, I can get another person to discount that proof. And every time you try to find prood that FLCL or Evangelion is crap or great, there will always be another person who will say the very opposite thing.

Those who speak extreme comments cannot judge those who speak extreme comments. And seeing how both you and Draco Malfoy are getting all "hyped up" and defensive with your own oppinions, I'm afraid that both of you aren't thinking rationally. You're both fishing out extreme oppinions like hotdogs at a community raffle. :/

patrickstar said:
I have repeated this too many times within my previous posts. Haruhi is an anime MADE to attract popularities. The cheap tricks they use to engage the fans into the series are so shallow it is pathetic. Yet blind oafs like you keeps on buying into it think the anime as a masterpiece. The character's are cliche to a retarded degree, the character development are really illogical for an anime that tries to be "real life-like". The jokes and "funny awkward situation" are incredibly simplistic and dry. I could go on and on...

And go on and on, for it only forces to emphasise how you are going extreme just like one of those "dratted Haruhiists" you keep on mentioning with venom. Firstly, Haruhi was originally a BOOK so you can't say it was made specifically with the purpose to attract popularities. And I see where you are basing most your arguements on, but how is an anime anchored by Digital Physics and God theories made specifically to attract viewers, especially since these themes aren't supported with the mecha and sci-fi fanfare that is needed to attract the sci-fi fans?

Animes with those themes usually target those with interests in Science Ficiton and Philosophy, and the hullabaloo with all the mechas, meteors streaming down earth, blood and guts are usually occupied with all that. Haruhi is an anime that uses themes like that with "rigid" characters that aren't archetypical of Science Fiction (you would never catch a character like Kyon dead in a mecha/philosophy anime as main character). Admit it, Kyon and company would be more home in a shojo anime, yet isn't that what Haruhi's all about?

Philophical Science Fiction themes laddled into a shojo veneer with splices of modern high school slice-of-life? Apparent from FMP, find me another anime with those themes. Can't find one? Animes like Naruto that are made to attract the gangs use formulaic plots/themes/characters that suit the niche and genre, types of animes you would see sell lots. Really, Haruhi is one of a kind. Sure, it combines a bunch of stereotypes and formulas from a range of other genres, but by doing that, sure, it became formulaic, but formulaic to a genre and niche it made by itself, for itself.

I'm trying to act rational here. See? You haven't see me throw around comments of how "great" or how "wonderful" Haruhi is. I'm not mindlessly phraising like, like you expect fans of the series to act. Isn't that what you think of Haruhiist? That we nothing but mindless commercial doofuses? Please stop being hypocritical: you're acting as "extreme" as some of the more mindless Haruhiists.

Think carefully: your whole arguement is that Haruhi gets tonnes of phraise but doesn't deserve it. Wouldn't it just crumble your arguement like fetta if you find out that Haruhi's phraises aren't completely unfounded?

Haruhi was a book series, it didn't go out just for the sole purpose of earning money (the author of the series believes that his views of world and how whimsical it is, and what "God" would be like in person if he/she was human but didn't know he/she was a deity is what drives him to what Haruhi) and isn't so rigidly bad. If the anime really was as formulaic as you say, you would see Haruhi blushing like a school girl, or Kyon agonising/being confused over an "attraction" for Haruhi. Then they'll confess some deep love for each other and make babies.

Kyon so far hasn't made a single move to pursue Haruhi, nor has she shown any actual physical evidence (physical as in she blushes, fidgets in his presence, etc. Not the ponytail thing) that she likes him. For all you know, she could have only chosen him as her "special person" because he was the only person she could relate to, and her only friend, not because she likes him, like everyone else claims.

If Haruhi was formulaic, don't you think Haruhi would have at least blushed once in Kyon's presence? In most "formulaic" shojo animes, the main character girl blushes at least once within five episodes.

Haruhi isn't formulaic - and it's animation quality is actually quite consistant, contrary to your beliefs. They've stayed pretty high for the duration of the series. Sure, Haruhi's art is no masterpiece, but it's better than half of what's floating around in Japan.

Haruhi has it's ups and downs, and yes, has some formulaic aspects to it. But these "aspects" aren't blatant and the focal point of the anime, as I said previously (look at the whole point about niches above) Come on, admit it: all anime that have a decent fan following have at least some formulaic aspects to them and have their own "extreme" fanatics. I wouldn't call Haruhi overrated (well not completely anyway) - it's no masterpiece but it's better than crap like Naruto or Bleach that have been churning out the same number of fans.

P.S. I only like Digimon franchaise because of the Hosoda movies and because of the fact I cherished one of those little tamaguchi Digimon toys when I was four. And I cherish my memories as a four year-old. So don't use the fact I like Digimon against me like someone similar like yourself had done before

Last edited:

Ridley-X4

UN-LTD AWESOME WORKS
Blah blah blah

OK! OK! I get it, most Narutards are dumb little kids. It's still overrated. There's seinor HS students at my school who can't stop talking about Naruto. Go to a con. There's more Naruto cosplayers than all the other stuff combined.

Naruto is overrated.

PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Could you be so kind to use at least a readable color? No one is going to take you seriously here when you are using bright pink for your arguments.

I think he was saying that not many short serieses have experienced popularity as immense as Haruhi. And all this time, haven't you been ranting on about how popular Haruhi is? And hense, you have made a contradiction of one your own arguements.

? I didn't understand where I contrdicated my own arguments. You need to rephrase this question. And the other troll thought that it is harder for a short series to get recognition than a longer one, and I corrected him on that. Now where the hell did I contradict myself?

Believe me, many people drop what you would consider "extreme" praises for animes like FLCL (i.e. THIS HAS SUCH PROFOUND AND INSIGHTFUL VIEWS INTO HUMAN LIFE. 'TIS THE BEST!! lolz lolz!!!)

If I listened to every fan's comment about the certain anime, I'm bound to get over 9001 different opinons. In general, most watchers BASH FLCL instead of praising it because they are too stupid to notice the storyline for the first time and not willing to watch it for the second time.

You say you have "never seen so much extreme opinions repeat so frequently for an anime for an anime that doesn't deserve it". Okay, here's a situation. Just because a neo-Nazi says the fall of Hitler was the worst thing to ever happen does not mean the fall of Hitler is the worst thing to ever happen. A Jew might say something completely different. Many people have differing oppinions on different things. One person might say one thing (that Evangelion is the worst anime ever) and the next person might say another (that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread).

Compare the fans who would say Haruhi is the greatest anime ever compare to the ones who can talk about the series logically and critically? I think we can get a ratio of 100:1.

Regardless of what you think, that always will be different oppinions on different topics, and you can't say Haruhi is not "great" or whatever the Haruhiists say just because hundreds of others say it is. Do you have proof it is not as great as FLCL? Or Evangelion? Or Tokikake? Because when you fish that "proof" out, I can get another person to discount that proof. And every time you try to find prood that FLCL or Evangelion is crap or great, there will always be another person who will say the very opposite thing.

Wow, every criticisms directed towards me all points to the possibility of me bashing the FANS for having different opinions. First of all, I am not here to bash Haruhi, as I said at the BEGINNING of my first post, the series was above-average in many respects. HOWEVER, the series used so many simplistic devices that are there TO pander the fans, and they fall for it easily while thinking about a series better than it actually is. Is it that hard to wrap around your brain on that concept?

Those who speak extreme comments cannot judge those who speak extreme comments. And seeing how both you and Draco Malfoy are getting all "hyped up" and defensive with your own oppinions, I'm afraid that both of you aren't thinking rationally. You're both fishing out extreme oppinions like hotdogs at a community raffle. :/

I don't get "hyped up" over matters like these. So quit thinking of everyone as being so shallow. And this is just another one of those personal criticisms directed towards me that in no way helps make your arguments reasonable.

And go on and on, for it only forces to emphasise how you are going extreme just like one of those "dratted Haruhiists" you keep on mentioning with venom. Firstly, Haruhi was originally a BOOK so you can't say it was made specifically with the purpose to attract popularities. And I see where you are basing most your arguements on, but how is an anime anchored by Digital Physics and God theories made specifically to attract viewers, especially since these themes aren't supported with the mecha and sci-fi fanfare that is needed to attract the sci-fi fans?

While the genre of the anime is SuperNatural. But let's think logically here, was the story really focused on the "supernatural" aspects? Or are they simply used as one of the devices to improve the comedy and romance aspects?

Also, making the anime genre "supernatural" also helps inflate the fan's own sense of superiority. Now, would you rather tell your friend "I just saw a commedy series" or "I just saw a series focusing on Digital Physics and God"?

Animes with those themes usually target those with interests in Science Ficiton and Philosophy, and the hullabaloo with all the mechas, meteors streaming down earth, blood and guts are usually occupied with all that. Haruhi is an anime that uses themes like that with "rigid" characters that aren't archetypical of Science Fiction (you would never catch a character like Kyon dead in a mecha/philosophy anime as main character). Admit it, Kyon and company would be more home in a shojo anime, yet isn't that what Haruhi's all about?
See above post.

Philophical Science Fiction themes laddled into a shojo veneer with splices of modern high school slice-of-life? Apparent from FMP, find me another anime with those themes. Can't find one? Animes like Naruto that are made to attract the gangs use formulaic plots/themes/characters that suit the niche and genre, types of animes you would see sell lots. Really, Haruhi is one of a kind. Sure, it combines a bunch of stereotypes and formulas from a range of other genres, but by doing that, sure, it became formulaic, but formulaic to a genre and niche it made by itself, for itself.

First of all, please don't compare ANY anime to a shonen action series like Naruto. It is just degrading as asking a question like "what kind of used toilet paper makes better napkins?".

And again, your arguments are based on the statement of "Haruhi was about supernatural and god concepts", which was, again, one of the devices used to pander the fans. The series did not use these concepts NEARLY as much as you would consider the series to be that genre.

I'm trying to act rational here. See? You haven't see me throw around comments of how "great" or how "wonderful" Haruhi is. I'm not mindlessly phraising like, like you expect fans of the series to act. Isn't that what you think of Haruhiist? That we nothing but mindless commercial doofuses? Please stop being hypocritical: you're acting as "extreme" as some of the more mindless Haruhiists.

When have I said every single Haruhi fans are mindless idiots? When did I use generalization for my arguments?

Think carefully: your whole arguement is that Haruhi gets tonnes of phraise but doesn't deserve it. Wouldn't it just crumble your arguement like fetta if you find out that Haruhi's phraises aren't completely unfounded?

Praises, not phraises.

And you really failed to convince me that Haruhi DID deserve the praises you just paid to the anime.

Haruhi was a book series, it didn't go out just for the sole purpose of earning money (the author of the series believes that his views of world and how whimsical it is, and what "God" would be like in person if he/she was human but didn't know he/she was a deity is what drives him to what Haruhi) and isn't so rigidly bad. If the anime really was as formulaic as you say, you would see Haruhi blushing like a school girl, or Kyon agonising/being confused over an "attraction" for Haruhi. Then they'll confess some deep love for each other and make babies.

When have I ever compared Haruhi to a generic romance anime like what you just said?

God, how the hell do you keep on bringing up things I haven't mentioned ONE BIT?

If Haruhi was formulaic, don't you think Haruhi would have at least blushed once in Kyon's presence? In most "formulaic" shojo animes, the main character girl blushes at least once within five episodes.

First of all, NO TWO ANIMES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME. And if you look DEEPER into the simplistic storyline, you would find much more resemblance than original.

Haruhi isn't formulaic - and it's animation quality is actually quite consistant, contrary to your beliefs. They've stayed pretty high for the duration of the series. Sure, Haruhi's art is no masterpiece, but it's better than half of what's floating around in Japan.

I ALREADY MENTIONED THAT IT was an above average anime. So spare me the crap with "OH NOEZ YOU SAID HARUHI SUX SO IM GONNA COMPARE IT WITH OTHER CRAP ANIME".

Haruhi has it's ups and downs, and yes, has some formulaic aspects to it. But these "aspects" aren't blatant and the focal point of the anime, as I said previously (look at the whole point about niches above) Come on, admit it: all anime that have a decent fan following have at least some formulaic aspects to them and have their own "extreme" fanatics. I wouldn't call Haruhi overrated (well not completely anyway) - it's no masterpiece but it's better than crap like Naruto or Bleach that have been churning out the same number of fans.

See my post above and my post about not comparing an anime with a shonen action one.

P.S. I only like Digimon franchaise because of the Hosoda movies and because of the fact I cherished one of those little tamaguchi Digimon toys when I was four. And I cherish my memories as a four year-old. So don't use the fact I like Digimon against me like someone similar like yourself had done before

I am willing to say most 14+ people, including me are here for the same reason as you are.

And when the hell did you get the idea that I am vain enough to bash someone for a perfectly understandable reason like that?

OK! OK! I get it, most Narutards are dumb little kids. It's still overrated. There's seinor HS students at my school who can't stop talking about Naruto. Go to a con. There's more Naruto cosplayers than all the other stuff combined.

No, you DIDN'T get what I was trying to say. Read my post again and come back.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Rule 34, man. Though I have yet to see it, there's gotta be at least one out there somewhere (if not a doujinshi, a stand-alone oekaki pic). Try all you want, but there's no denying the Rule.

There's probably some random lain stuff out there.

Actually, I'll divulge a hideous secret: On an ABe image board, I did see a bit of yuri-fied Haibane stuff... uh, ages ago. The amusing thing is that many of the posters had the same train of thought of me: "That stuff doesn't need to be here. Get the hell out."

Sexualizing ABe's works is almost as out-there as doing it to Miyazaki's -- the only way that someone would do it is by being forced to draw it due to losing a bet.

BTW, I ordered Haibane Renmei, but Amazon keeps saying they're "temporarily" out of stock. I'm aware of Geneon's collapse, but why would Amazon say that?

Because Amazon is crazy?

Look elsewhere, or else go for a used&new copy at Amazon or eBay.

huh? Link, now!

huh? Youtube examples, now!

Next time on AIM.

Actually, I thought that was the exact point of the series - to pander the fans. And how in ANY way can you call a fan-pandering anime one of the best ever?

Alright, I'm going to just throw out a few examples of anime from my collection that is to primarily pander to its demographic.

Giant Robo
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
FLCL
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
Patlabor
(OVA)
Read or Die
Gunbuster
Gunbuster 2
Golden Boy

And don't give me any guff about "Oh but FLCL has a message and substance and--" because you cannot deny that it is meant to pander those that are in love with anime as a subset of a medium and its aesthetics. (And this does NOT mean that others can't enjoy it who aren't big on anime. If it was, then The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Read or Die, etc. wouldn't have the appeal beyond the "hardcore otaku" that they do.)

Hell, most of the stuff in my collection -- for that matter, most anime, and most entertainment -- is to pander to its audience; yes, even the goddamn art students who think that staring at a tomatoe and having a purposely confusing storyline regarding a man going to a toilet is an "audience that is pandered to."

Do you have any idea how hard it is in, say, anime, to find a Patlabor 2, Pale Cocoon, Mind Game, Texhnolyze, Mushi-shi, The Wings of Honneamise, et cetera? Even Hayao Miyazaki's films and a portion of Satoshi Kon's output have those tendencies to at least appease to a certain group that gets their jollies over certain elements presented in that medium.

This isn't like we're talking about some trite bishoujo adaption that panders to men who will never get any and force them to cry. TMoHS is just the same as GR and FLCL, and has the appeal of the latter to go outside of its medium and entertain those who think that anime is generally bullocks (and to some extent, they're right).

Really, if you watch the anime again without focusing on the story or the character.

Then what do you have left? Man, that really is daft; a fiction piece without a story or characters is absolutely nothing -- a person HAS to focus on at least one or both.

You can easily see how shallow the series really is, the characters say the EXACT things you would expect them to say.

Uh, yeah, because the good shows are always predictable and nothing ever surprises you.

Wait, what?

Did someone say Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo? A good portion of the stories in Kino's Journey? Pretty much all of Hayao Miyazaki's works?

I could go on.

During the "awkward" moments of the show, each character's reactions are nearly always exaggerated and made to please the fans.

And now you're exaggerating because you have very few of those described moments. The exaggerated moments are kept a minimum, and the whole show itself is very subdued -- rarely does it burst out in a "OH WOW THIS IS SUCH AN OTAKU MOMENT" that is, frankly, more common in FLCL.

The media attracts us by making us think "Man, I'm glad I'm not that person in that situation and I can definitely act better than him/her given the circumstances" to inflate our own ego.

No, people automatically react that way. Or are you going to then state that all those unlikable yet realistic characters that go back even further than Hamlet are "pandering and deliberately making the audience feel better about themselves"?

Hell, I don't even know what you're complaining about there, and I have to wonder if any other poster on here does, either.

A few days ago she was still her old self, suspicious?

And she was herself right after talking to Kyon.

But, wait a second, it couldn't be that Haruhi actually has a side to her that is concerned for others that we've actually seen in the series prior to this? NAW, that's just crazy, because no person is generally egocentric in real life could ever look out and care for others, amirite?!

I believe Haruhi is around 16 to 17 years old? Her past few years are the most important years in life and usually sets the way one would look at life (Freud's stages).

I'm not heavily into psychology (wait till college), but citing Freud doesn't scream reliable and concrete, to me.

Can one change THAT easily and dramatically? Other than for the fact that it gets the fans "into it"?

Except you're mistakenly interpreting her actions as "something that she's never done before and incapable of," yet we've introspective moments and displays of concern for others (hello Island Syndrome) before.

And if you rewatch the anime again, you could easily see how simplistic and shallow the devices the directors used to engage the fans into this series. The simplistic events are exact the ones that would make a fan go 'AWWW THATS SO CUTE!!!111'.

Oh my God, they're using hooks and tropes to rope in an audience! Those devils! That's just like having a be completely oblivious to the fact that she's God, or loud and manly men shouting loud and manly things with giant phallic weapons, or robots coming out of a kid's head after getting hit by a vespa just for the shake of insanity, or--

Oh, wait.

I still find the "jokes" in Haruhi pathetically simplistic.

Because dry humor that depends on the viewer to think is bad, right? And Dr. Strangelove is the most dumb comedy film ever made?

(Granted, I'm not saying either are alike in their merits, though much of the humor in TMoHS has the airy wit and attention to intelligent dialogue that Dr. Strangelove has.)

I like raw cherry, but for some retarded reason, cherry in all other types of food have a strange bitter flavor that makes me vomit. And I like blueberry pie....

Eh, chocolate owns 'em all.

Yes, but specifying and justifying the reason behind a criticism is STILL the formate you mentioned earlier. In fact, EVERY single criticism ever made, no matter how great, follows that format in some sense.

But the good critics actually give clear and logical reasonings behind their misgivings about a story. The general statements -- it's boring, characters are generic -- are for quick summaries or lazy people unwanting to give out their opinions.

And as I made myself very clear in this thread, I did not like the series and I really would not watch it again just for the sake of finding new arguments and evidences.

Considering this and that you've said that's it's been a while since you've watched it, not to mention a person who dislikes something is more inclined to not remember it in detail compared to something he likes, it would appear that you're memory of details surrounding it are hazy and -- no offense intended -- not to be completely trusted.

All my arguments on that goes to really just 3 points:
1.) Haruhi's changes in character were too drastic
2.) Her change in character were really illogical
3.) Her character changes were really to pander the fans and increase her popularity. After all, everyone loves a sweet girl more than a *****y one.

1 and 2) False. The changes weren't drastic, nor were they illogical, and she ultimately remained herself.
3) No way in hell is she a "sweet girl" by the end of the series. We occasionally examine a more human side of her that she doesn't want to be let out, but ultimately she stays true to her eccentricities.

I argued that Shinji did not run away and fought the angels even when his characters as described earlier suggests that he would do the opposite.

And, again. EVA still is a form of fiction, as it doesn't include our self-interest. Why can't Shinji be more selfish and think of his own safety first and run away?

This shows a clear misunderstanding of his character.

Shinji doesn't want to have duties and hardships pushed on him. He's afraid of them. But even moreso he wants approval of others. He wants people to be kind to him, to praise him, but he doesn't want to have to go through the work to do it. Yet he realizes that he has to do those duties if he wants to be praised, but in the end receives little satisfaction because he realizes his choices are done for shallow reasons, leading to even further perceptions of self-worth(lessness).

Which makes him, to some extent, similar to every damn ****ing main character in anime.

Absolutely ****ing not. Don't make a 3-D, realistic characters like Shinji to be the same as the shallow caricatures that you find in most stories.

Can you honestly say you want to see more people like that in anime?

More realistic characters? Hell yeah.

I know we appreciate these values in our society, but don't you wish you could see someone ****ing different for once?

And that's what Shinji is. There are similar archetypes to him before and since his creation, but there is no other character among them as well-defined and believable as him.

But ONLY for escapism? Isn't that a bit shallow?

Uh, yes, but entertainment's creation was for escapism. That's how it has been for centuries upon centuries. Not until recently has there been such a massive focus on criticizing it.

I think it is safe to say most Haruhi fans, or anime fans for that matter. Are between the age for 12-15. Which is pretty much the worst period in a person's life in terms of idiocy.

No, I don't believe that's a very safe estimate, considering the general target audience in Japan and those who have access to the Internet and whatnot.

Haruhi is extremely overrated. Does that make it bad? No.

Amen, brotha'.

I've missed you, Franky.

Code Geass

I'd say that's deservedly overrated because it is completely devoid of literary merit. Plenty of its fans like it because it's completely ridiculous and over-the-top, but those who take it seriously are crazy.

Nazis and Hitler have been mentioned.

This thread is at last complete.

Anzua2

First of all, please don't compare ANY anime to a shonen action series like Naruto. It is just degrading as asking a question like "what kind of used toilet paper makes better napkins?".

Please don't judge quality based on genre and/or demographic, as I have seen some high quality stuff from the Shonen/action scene. Being a Shonen title does not lower it's quality, and being "like" Naruto is very different from BEING Naruto.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Sorry about the late post. A combination of busy school work, WoW raids and laggy forum connection.

Please don't judge quality based on genre and/or demographic, as I have seen some high quality stuff from the Shonen/action scene. Being a Shonen title does not lower it's quality, and being "like" Naruto is very different from BEING Naruto.

K, my bad.

TMoHS is just the same as GR and FLCL, and has the appeal of the latter to go outside of its medium and entertain those who think that anime is generally bullocks (and to some extent, they're right).

Does it? Can TMoHS really entertain those who think anime sucks? The way TMoHS entertained people was really, fairly ordinary. You can find the funny situations in tons of other anime, or hell, even tons of American television. Does it really bring something so special or does something that no other anime has done to be recognized as one of the best? FLCL entertained others, just like TMoHS, sure. But it was really one of the first and it is recognized as one of the best comedy anime because of the unique way the anime was designed. The poster below you said TMoHS had it own niche. No, FLCL had its own niche, TMoHS, on the other hand, doesn't.

Then what do you have left? Man, that really is daft; a fiction piece without a story or characters is absolutely nothing -- a person HAS to focus on at least one or both.

No, no. I suggested that for the sake of my arguments. If you focus on everything else, you are not going to get very clear and objective views on the story. I'm not saying that this is the way you should watch anime, because it's not.

Uh, yeah, because the good shows are always predictable and nothing ever surprises you.

Wait, what?

When did I suggest that?

And now you're exaggerating because you have very few of those described moments. The exaggerated moments are kept a minimum, and the whole show itself is very subdued -- rarely does it burst out in a "OH WOW THIS IS SUCH AN OTAKU MOMENT" that is, frankly, more common in FLCL.

Very few? Actually, I find almost every single supposed "funny" moment to be a "OMG AWKWARD MOMENT". Really, the entire show base its humor on those things.

No, people automatically react that way. Or are you going to then state that all those unlikable yet realistic characters that go back even further than Hamlet are "pandering and deliberately making the audience feel better about themselves"?

I slept through/and failed Hamlet in my English class, so I can't really respond to your example.

And she was herself right after talking to Kyon.

But, wait a second, it couldn't be that Haruhi actually has a side to her that is concerned for others that we've actually seen in the series prior to this? NAW, that's just crazy, because no person is generally egocentric in real life could ever look out and care for others, amirite?!

Actually, no, if someone was egocentric to the degree Haruhi was supposedly was at the beginning of the series, she won't even care for others no matter what the hell happens. But her personality changed in order for the story to continue.

I'm not heavily into psychology (wait till college), but citing Freud doesn't scream reliable and concrete, to me.

While some of Freud's theories are absolutely ******** (especially the Oedipus/Electra complex). I think studies conducted that particular theory to be quite accurate. So you can trust me on this one.

Except you're mistakenly interpreting her actions as "something that she's never done before and incapable of," yet we've introspective moments and displays of concern for others (hello Island Syndrome) before.

No, I interpreting her actions as "something that she SHOULDN'T be able to commit if her personality were that extreme".

Oh my God, they're using hooks and tropes to rope in an audience! Those devils! That's just like having a be completely oblivious to the fact that she's God, or loud and manly men shouting loud and manly things with giant phallic weapons, or robots coming out of a kid's head after getting hit by a vespa just for the shake of insanity, or--

Oh, wait.

Which shows that the vespa trick is not really hooks and tropes to pull in fans. But really to stay consistent with the anime's style. Just like the storyline of TMoHS consistently focused on the "God" storyline right?

Wait...

Because dry humor that depends on the viewer to think is bad, right? And Dr. Strangelove is the most dumb comedy film ever made?

(Granted, I'm not saying either are alike in their merits, though much of the humor in TMoHS has the airy wit and attention to intelligent dialogue that Dr. Strangelove has.)

Never saw Dr.Strangelove.

Eh, chocolate owns 'em all.

Chocolate is bad and you should feel bad.

But the good critics actually give clear and logical reasonings behind their misgivings about a story. The general statements -- it's boring, characters are generic -- are for quick summaries or lazy people unwanting to give out their opinions.

I thought I gave enough detail and logic behind my reason. Hell, this thread contains some of the longest post I have ever made.

Considering this and that you've said that's it's been a while since you've watched it, not to mention a person who dislikes something is more inclined to not remember it in detail compared to something he likes, it would appear that you're memory of details surrounding it are hazy and -- no offense intended -- not to be completely trusted.

BUT I HAVE GOOD MEMORYZ LOL!!

1 and 2) False. The changes weren't drastic, nor were they illogical, and she ultimately remained herself.

Which was extremely stupid because it just simply doesn't make sense that someone change a lot, then goes back to him/herself. It is much more likely that if the person is going to change back, he would probably not going to change at all.

3) No way in hell is she a "sweet girl" by the end of the series. We occasionally examine a more human side of her that she doesn't want to be let out, but ultimately she stays true to her eccentricities.

see above post.

This shows a clear misunderstanding of his character.

Shinji doesn't want to have duties and hardships pushed on him. He's afraid of them. But even moreso he wants approval of others. He wants people to be kind to him, to praise him, but he doesn't want to have to go through the work to do it. Yet he realizes that he has to do those duties if he wants to be praised, but in the end receives little satisfaction because he realizes his choices are done for shallow reasons, leading to even further perceptions of self-worth(lessness).

To be honest, I REALLY, REALLY don't understand why Shinji receives so much love from elitists like you. All in all, he really is a fairly archetypal character you would see from an anime - Reluctant at the beginning and goes back to his duty at the end. I've seen numrous posts you made about how Shinji is one of the most realistic character in all animes. Who would, realistically, come back from seens all that death and crap about Angel invasion? Who wouldn't abandon responsibilities? Don't give me any crap about "he cared about his duties and the situation affected him", because a real person's natural instinct is to run, not to stay. I don't exactly recall the episode and I think it was the 14th angel fight? But I remember the conversation Kaji had with Shinji, which motivated him to go back and fight. That was possibly one of the most unrealistic moments in the entire show. As Shinji MADE UP his about leaving, but was fairly easily convinced and came back.

More realistic characters? Hell yeah.
Thank you.

One of my favorite quotes from a friend was "we don't need more anime characters, we need more animated real life people."

And that's what Shinji is. There are similar archetypes to him before and since his creation, but there is no other character among them as well-defined and believable as him.

Wut?

Amen, brotha'.

Oh noez, the heavenly lords united against me?

Plenty of its fans like it because it's completely ridiculous and over-the-top, but those who take it seriously are crazy.

Now that is just over-exaggeration. Completely ridiculous? No.

Nazis and Hitler have been mentioned.

This thread is at last complete.

NOT WITHOUT OVERUSED INTERNET MEMES!

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh278/DWRK/Broll.jpg

NOW, it is complete.

Last edited:

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I mean no offense by this, but arguing these points with you is kind of like shouting at a brick wall -- namely a brick wall that restates the same points over and over and does not budge on its position or offer much support by critical analysis.

Actually, I'm gonna keep track of those vague generalized statements (VGS) as I go over this post.

Does it? Can TMoHS really entertain those who think anime sucks?

Uh, yes. Plenty of people have watched it that are normally not interested in anime at the slightest. Plenty of posters (on various forums and blogs) have talked how they have introduced it (before it was released here, particularly through Youtube) to that type of people and enjoyed it a lot. There's crossover appeal due to the eccentricities of the characters, the pacing, the direction, the script, and combination of various tropes and homages that so few modern stories attempt to tackle, let alone actually balance successfully.

The way TMoHS entertained people was really, fairly ordinary.

VGS+1

You can find the funny situations in tons of other anime, or hell, even tons of American television.

VGS+2

(For that matter, this statement could be applied to a lot of great live-action films. Hell, you try this on war stories in general, and I guarantee that you get a lot of folks calling you out on it.)

Does it really bring something so special or does something that no other anime has done to be recognized as one of the best?

Very rarely does any good entertainment do this. Does FLCL boast anything as such? No, aside from some of technical innovations for its time that have since been attempted again and in some ways improved. It's a bildungsroman in anime-otaku's clothing -- there's more to it than that, but that's ultimately what it (and, in a way, TMoHS) is.

But it was really one of the first and it is recognized as one of the best comedy anime because of the unique way the anime was designed.

By the by, the last time I watched FLCL I don't recall laughing once. I loved it, and it will always remain one of my favorites, but I didn't find the hyperactive and parody humor during that re-watch "HA-HA" funny.

See how easy and invalid that subjectivity stuff you're pulling off is?

The poster below you said TMoHS had it own niche. No, FLCL had its own niche, TMoHS, on the other hand, doesn't.

No, they both have their own niche, because they both attempt to appeal to different yet still similar portions of the otaku culture, and also have appeal beyond that.

When did I suggest that?

You were suggesting that TMoHS is pretty much predictable. I countered with various examples of well-respected anime (hell, you don't want to get me started on movies) that are also predictable.

Very few? Actually, I find almost every single supposed "funny" moment to be a "OMG AWKWARD MOMENT". Really, the entire show base its humor on those things.

VGS+3

I slept through/and failed Hamlet in my English class, so I can't really respond to your example.

:/

Actually, no, if someone was egocentric to the degree Haruhi was supposedly was at the beginning of the series, she won't even care for others no matter what the hell happens. But her personality changed in order for the story to continue.

Dude, no.

She is very egocentric and stays true to that. But you're making this -- frankly, dumb -- assertion that somehow a typically selfish person is incapable of helping out others and also never has moments of doubt about themselves and the choices they make. You're also making an assertion that Haruhi's persona can only be pigeonholed into that egomaniac characterization, while denying that we might actually be getting some glimpses into a more honest personality of hers (y'know, the "normal" side of her). You're also ignoring the fact that she's shown concern for others well before the concert event, such as the entire Island Syndrome arc.

But you seem to remain too stubborn to change that position and choose to continue to misinterpret this, so whatever.

While some of Freud's theories are absolutely ******** (especially the Oedipus/Electra complex). I think studies conducted that particular theory to be quite accurate. So you can trust me on this one.

Development during the teenage years is important, but the early years of how one is raised by their parents/guardians is equally if not moreso... But that's a topic reserved for the debate forum, which I've pretty much avoided for a couple years now.

Which shows that the vespa trick is not really hooks and tropes to pull in fans. But really to stay consistent with the anime's style.

No, having "lol this is so fast-paced and appealing to ADD-riddled teenagers" is an anime convention. There are numerous anime that use that.

Just like the storyline of TMoHS consistently focused on the "God" storyline right?

Wait...

Actually, it does (even after the resolution of the main arc, the slice-of-life episodes do bring up those factors and also shows some consequences). But the genius is that TMoHS has more than one focus as opposed to hinging on one annoying mystery/hook/whatever that many stories have.

Never saw Dr.Strangelove.

You should fix this.

Chocolate is bad and you should feel bad.

Hell no; chocolate is awesome and those that don't like it can burn in hell.

I thought I gave enough detail and logic behind my reason. Hell, this thread contains some of the longest post I have ever made.

Posts can be long with full of repetitive and unfounded claims (see: debate forum). :/

Which was extremely stupid because it just simply doesn't make sense that someone change a lot, then goes back to him/herself. It is much more likely that if the person is going to change back, he would probably not going to change at all.

VGS+4

And you keep on harping on this bizarre idea that this is a "drastic change" when the possibility for that kind of characterization might have already existed to begin with.

To be honest, I REALLY, REALLY don't understand why Shinji receives so much love from elitists like you.

Maybe the bolded is a clue. A fair amount of elitists can be asses, but they also seem to be more critical and have a sort of odd credibility to what they think and say (like how pretty much every "anime elitist" I've encountered on the Internet really likes TMoHS, except you). Heck, for that matter, a lot of folks who don't like NGE say it's because "the characters are too realistic."

All in all, he really is a fairly archetypal character you would see from an anime - Reluctant at the beginning and goes back to his duty at the end.

Uh, no. Another seriously incorrect interpretation of a character here.

Shinji starts out indifferent, then gradually changes for the better, but eventually hits some really rough times and goes through absolute hell -- his development during the series is the opposite of most characters in FICTION in general.

It's a character study, much like Citizen Kane or Taxi Driver are.

Who would, realistically, come back from seens all that death and crap about Angel invasion?

Except there aren't any deaths concerning Angel attacks throughout the series. The people who are involved are in the location of those attacks are sent in shelters and whatnot. *Cue general conspiracies and other numerous facets that the series foreshadows and meticulously reveals towards its climax.*

Who wouldn't abandon responsibilities?

Not many, but a few.

Don't give me any crap about "he cared about his duties and the situation affected him", because a real person's natural instinct is to run, not to stay.

A person's natural instinct IS TO SURVIVE. If running away means survival, great. If fighting means the only chance of survival, great.

I don't exactly recall the episode and I think it was the 14th angel fight? But I remember the conversation Kaji had with Shinji, which motivated him to go back and fight. That was possibly one of the most unrealistic moments in the entire show. As Shinji MADE UP his about leaving, but was fairly easily convinced and came back.

Dude, this is AFTER Shinji sees Asuka and EVA-02 seriously ****ed up as a result of the battle. The shelters are in danger. EVA-00 is out of commission. Kaji's conversation with him is largely incidental. He and everyone else would die if he wasn't going to do anything -- it took until the eleventh hour and put under the worst possible scenario to motivate Shinji into action.

It would require another thread to detail the characters' complexities (if there is one thing that NGE is "deep" about, it is its characterization.).

Oh noez, the heavenly lords united against me?

Unless Franky declares war, I don't believe so.

Now that is just over-exaggeration. Completely ridiculous? No.

Code Geass is completely ridiculous. It's a complete cliché reuses generic developments and really preposterous situations, and much of its fanbase revel in that aspect.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
I mean no offense by this, but arguing these points with you is kind of like shouting at a brick wall -- namely a brick wall that restates the same points over and over and does not budge on its position or offer much support by critical analysis.

A Speakerphone glued onto the ground?

Uh, yes. Plenty of people have watched it that are normally not interested in anime at the slightest. Plenty of posters (on various forums and blogs) have talked how they have introduced it (before it was released here, particularly through Youtube) to that type of people and enjoyed it a lot. There's crossover appeal due to the eccentricities of the characters, the pacing, the direction, the script, and combination of various tropes and homages that so few modern stories attempt to tackle, let alone actually balance successfully.

Yes, it had all the eccentricities. But did it really balance it successfully? I would have been happier if the series simply didn't try to do all that. I thought the series was going to be more focused on the romance and slices of life at the beginning. But it did not. Then I thought the series shifted towards psychological (if you can even call it) aspects, but it really didn't. The last episode where they were in her "dream" was really a blend of both. I really wished if the series focused MORE on the psychological parts as well as developing an ending more attuned to the supernatural aspects instead of romance.

Very rarely does any good entertainment do this. Does FLCL boast anything as such? No, aside from some of technical innovations for its time that have since been attempted again and in some ways improved. It's a bildungsroman in anime-otaku's clothing -- there's more to it than that, but that's ultimately what it (and, in a way, TMoHS) is.

Actually, FLCL is the first anime that I've seen stayed dedicated to its unique style. Maybe it is just the fact that I haven't seen enough anime, but to me, it is really was one of a kind.

By the by, the last time I watched FLCL I don't recall laughing once. I loved it, and it will always remain one of my favorites, but I didn't find the hyperactive and parody humor during that re-watch "HA-HA" funny.

But it still remains one of your favorites. It is VERY, very hard for a comedy anime to have rewatch values. FLCL did that, but where can you find that in Haruhi?

No, they both have their own niche, because they both attempt to appeal to different yet still similar portions of the otaku culture, and also have appeal beyond that.

I see FLCL to be much more mainstream than you find in the series. Obviously, the series was made to entertain. Sure, there are tons of references to other anime that would make any otaku go "OMG I REMEMBER THAT MOMENT!". But really, everyone can enjoy it. Even those who can't notice the subtle(or at times, balant) references can smile at the crazy situations.

You were suggesting that TMoHS is pretty much predictable. I countered with various examples of well-respected anime (hell, you don't want to get me started on movies) that are also predictable.

That depends. I have nothing against predictable STORIES. Hell, even my favorite show: House M.D. had the same storyline EVERY single episode. But using predictable comedic devices, on the other hand, are really unfunny and lazy in terms of production. Who would want to watch a comedian shouting out "your mama is so fat, when she jump for joy, she got stuck!".

She is very egocentric and stays true to that. But you're making this -- frankly, dumb -- assertion that somehow a typically selfish person is incapable of helping out others and also never has moments of doubt about themselves and the choices they make. You're also making an assertion that Haruhi's persona can only be pigeonholed into that egomaniac characterization, while denying that we might actually be getting some glimpses into a more honest personality of hers (y'know, the "normal" side of her). You're also ignoring the fact that she's shown concern for others well before the concert event, such as the entire Island Syndrome arc.

Now, this was all under the assumption that Haruhi is a "normal" egocentric-person. No, she was an extremely egocentric person. And I stay with the fact that she cannot really care for others if her personality was that extreme. I've met plenty of shallow, selfish people in real life, and they really can't, and won't try to notice the small acts of kindness others commit, which Haruhi did. And I won't describe these people as, in any way, an EXTREMELY selfish person. You see her showing sighs of her real personality, concerns for others and whatnot, no, those are changes that are complete unreal for a selfish person and I see them as being untrue to her character and are merely there to continue the story.

But you seem to remain too stubborn to change that position and choose to continue to misinterpret this, so whatever.

I think you and I have different understanding on what a "selfish-person" can be. So I won't fault you or myself on this.

No, having "lol this is so fast-paced and appealing to ADD-riddled teenagers" is an anime convention. There are numerous anime that use that.
Before FLCL? Or using it to the extend of FLCL?

You should fix this.
Bad grammar or the fact that I've never seen it? Or both?

Hell no; chocolate is awesome and those that don't like it can burn in hell.
no u.

Maybe the bolded is a clue. A fair amount of elitists can be asses, but they also seem to be more critical and have a sort of odd credibility to what they think and say (like how pretty much every "anime elitist" I've encountered on the Internet really likes TMoHS, except you). Heck, for that matter, a lot of folks who don't like NGE say it's because "the characters are too realistic."

I guess I am one of the kind.

Uh, no. Another seriously incorrect interpretation of a character here.

Shinji starts out indifferent, then gradually changes for the better, but eventually hits some really rough times and goes through absolute hell -- his development during the series is the opposite of most characters in FICTION in general.

Start as indifferent, after inspirations changes for the better, goes through harsh times and beliefs are shaken, then continues with the "right way". I have never seen this repeating in any form of Fiction...

Wait...

A person's natural instinct IS TO SURVIVE. If running away means survival, great. If fighting means the only chance of survival, great.

Rei lost, Asuka lost. If Shinji was a normal person, wouldn't he notice this?

Dude, this is AFTER Shinji sees Asuka and EVA-02 seriously ****ed up as a result of the battle. The shelters are in danger. EVA-00 is out of commission. Kaji's conversation with him is largely incidental. He and everyone else would die if he wasn't going to do anything -- it took until the eleventh hour and put under the worst possible scenario to motivate Shinji into action.

Yes, when all these factors SHOULD act oppositely to SCARE Shinji, not to motivate him. Put me, or you, or anyone in that situation. I am willing to say that there is a greater chance of that person running away.

Unless Franky declares war, I don't believe so.
Huzzah!

Code Geass is completely ridiculous. It's a complete cliché reuses generic developments and really preposterous situations, and much of its fanbase revel in that aspect.

And are they suppose to be doing that? They are really pretty much the same as most Haruhi fans.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
A Speakerphone glued onto the ground?

'Cept I can take a metal bat and smash that.

BUT THE BRICK WALL JUST STAYS THERE.

(And yes, I know I can follow up on that with a Pink Floyd joke, but I choose not to.)

And I'm going to put most of this post in spoilers, because I want you to see the bottom and potentially skip all of this because you're just too darn stubborn to see it any other way.

[spoil]
Yes, it had all the eccentricities. But did it really balance it successfully?

I and thousands upon thousands of others think so.

But that's room for subjectivity, so if you don't like the balance, whatever. I can't recall any other story in recent times that attempts to tackle so many genres and tropes, never mind actually blends them all in a convincing manner.

Actually, FLCL is the first anime that I've seen stayed dedicated to its unique style. Maybe it is just the fact that I haven't seen enough anime, but to me, it is really was one of a kind.

Methinks you do need to see more anime.

But it still remains one of your favorites. It is VERY, very hard for a comedy anime to have rewatch values. FLCL did that, but where can you find that in Haruhi?

I've already seen The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya a few times. I plan on eventually selling the LE volumes (I realized that broadcast order is basically irrelevant after the first viewing and prefer the chronological order). Then I'll replace them with the RE volumes. Then watch the series some more, then the next upcoming series.

FLCL, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu have a lot of re-watch value for me. They're all excellent directed. All very well-timed. The writing oozes confidence and control that so many anime in general lack. The characters are entertaining yet fleshed out enough to go beyond their archetypes. They don't rely on annoying plot. They're fun.

I think that's enough re-watch value for me.

I see FLCL to be much more mainstream than you find in the series.

No, FLCL is pretty mainstream and accessible as far as anime goes.

But it's also very, very, very otaku-friendly, with the style ("RANDOM AND MECHA **** HAPPENING AT 532,747,921 MILES PER HOUR!!!!") and content (young, bored guy surrounded by girls that have some interest in him, experiencing a coming-of-age tale).

But using predictable comedic devices, on the other hand, are really unfunny and lazy in terms of production. Who would want to watch a comedian shouting out "your mama is so fat, when she jump for joy, she got stuck!".

Really random humor isn't good, as well.

And I would hope that you're not trying to compare the humor of TMoHS to that example. There is actual wit (beyond the dull Mikuru gags) to the humor, with a lot of dry observations about human behavior, as well as a good deal of sarcasm.

I'd actually like to compare it to Monty Python's Life of Brian, which also has a lot of biting and ironic humor that makes TMoHS (though LoB has social commentary).

Now, this was all under the assumption that Haruhi is a "normal" egocentric-person. No, she was an extremely egocentric person. And I stay with the fact that she cannot really care for others if her personality was that extreme.

And I think you seem to either underestimate and/or misunderstand a lot of basic truths about humans.

With an exception to the truly uncaring people that have no regard for life and despise humanity as a whole, acts of kindness can be found in any type of person. Whether it be small gestures of help or actual sacrifices made purely on a whim, the possibility for human kindness -- just as much as cruelty -- is infinite.

Haruhi's development makes sense. Up until growing tired of "boring, normal life" she was likely no different than most other school girls. Then we're introduced to the eccentric that she is at the beginning, and this frustration of her not managing to get anything her way continues to build until episode seven (the final episode in the broadcast episode). Haruhi's wish essentially comes true, except a truth is relayed upon her through that experience and also by way of Kyon's words: The real world isn't so bad. There can be excitement there. Interesting things can and will happen. From then on, Haruhi remains the same, but also undergoes subtle development because her whims aren't as demanding. The second half of the series from that point on indicates those subtle changes, the ability to compromise with others, etc.

And really, man, you seem to be the only one who has taken up with this issue, both for the series' detractors and supporters. I suspect that it's not a case of hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of viewers being tricked and ignorant to this, but rather that it's something indicative about you.

Before FLCL? Or using it to the extend of FLCL?

Before and after.

Both; but watching Dr. Strangelove is first and foremost.

It is the most intelligent comedy ever.

Start as indifferent, after inspirations changes for the better, goes through harsh times and beliefs are shaken, then continues with the "right way". I have never seen this repeating in any form of Fiction...

Wait...

Dude, I said that his development is an exception, not completely unseen.

Oh, and you also managed to screw up the analogy and development.

Shinji is alone. After his mother's death and father's abandonment at such a young age (three, for Christ sake), he lived with others but never connected. He's remained at remote contact with people.

But when he actually has people who start to appreciate and care for him as a friend, this changes. He starts to gain a bit of confidence.

Yet, in the end, those around him are just as fragile and troubled as Shinji, and cannot provide the comfort that he seeks. And as things descend into even worse situations beyond his control, Shinji struggles but tries to hold on and hold on until he breaks (see episode 24).

Shinji does come to accept reality, but it's not an easy road; he's not instantly rewarded and changes for the better. He has taken the first step -- to face reality -- but that's all. It's not a crowd-pleaser, but it's an optimistic ending.

No, because Shinji wants to survive. He isn't a coward (he whines, yes, but he is one of the most genuinely brave characters in recent fiction). If he doesn't fight, then he and everyone else dies. If he does fight, then there is a chance that they will live.

Unless you're some idiotic fatalist (and I really hope you aren't), then there is no way you can argue against that.

Yes, when all these factors SHOULD act oppositely to SCARE Shinji, not to motivate him. Put me, or you, or anyone in that situation. I am willing to say that there is a greater chance of that person running away.

Unless they want to, y'know, actually live. That's just common sense that you seem to be forgetting about.

And are they suppose to be doing that? They are really pretty much the same as most Haruhi fans.

Naw, TMoHS actually offer justification to why they like the series. CG generally rave like standard otaku-sheep.[/spoil]

... Y'know, check out ANN's forum, as well as EvaGeeks. Bring up your complaints there. Start some threads. You'll get more reactions; not only that, but also at your target audience that you want to convince.

Seriously, you'll disappoint me if you don't.

Asrialys

Now, this was all under the assumption that Haruhi is a "normal" egocentric-person. No, she was an extremely egocentric person. And I stay with the fact that she cannot really care for others if her personality was that extreme. I've met plenty of shallow, selfish people in real life, and they really can't, and won't try to notice the small acts of kindness others commit, which Haruhi did. And I won't describe these people as, in any way, an EXTREMELY selfish person. You see her showing sighs of her real personality, concerns for others and whatnot, no, those are changes that are complete unreal for a selfish person and I see them as being untrue to her character and are merely there to continue the story.
Maybe you should try rewatching the series and pay closer attention. Maybe watch it in chronological order. Right from episode 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I), Haruhi showed signs of change. Right after Kyon's first conversation with her about her different hair styles. Most of her life, or at least after she realized that everyone was pretty much the same, her eccentricities pushed people away. Yet here was a guy talking to her, making comments about her and her behavior, and not leaving her alone. I think she found the situation interesting and kept going with it. But I also think that she had a few internal struggles about whether or not she should care what a non-supernatural person thinks.

And it's not like she wasn't selfish throughout the series. Do you think a selfish person absolutely doesn't care for others. She makes the SOS Brigade do whatever she wants, but it's not like she's putting them in danger of getting hurt.

Watch it!

Personally, I think I'm the type of person who stays out of bad situations and on several occasions have given up. But if I were somehow in Shinji's position and most likely about to die whether I run away or not, I'd go "What the hell" and jump into the fray head-first. Just to see what happens. Not saying that Shinji would have the same thinking.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Yeah, thanks Asrialys for putting up a few more examples. I wanted to include and detail 'em (the prompting of the baseball episode, Island Syndrome, the apartment visitation, the long winter day, etc.), but I was feeling lazy while typing up the post.

Also, you've seen Dr. Strangelove, too? Awesome.

Asrialys

You know...I'm fairly sure I submitted my reply before yours...unless yours lagged just as much...

Anyway...

Yeah, thanks Asrialys for putting up a few more examples. I wanted to include and detail 'em (the prompting of the baseball episode, Island Syndrome, the apartment visitation, the long winter day, etc.), but I was feeling lazy while typing up the post.
I wanted to post about the Melancholy episodes, but I got lazy too (and I had to go out).

Also, you've seen Dr. Strangelove, too? Awesome.
Well, it wasn't exactly by choice, but I did like it. We had finished AP US History early and watched a bunch of our teacher's favorite films till the end of the school year. And this movie was one of them. It was totally weird, but quite entertaining.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
(And yes, I know I can follow up on that with a Pink Floyd joke, but I choose not to.)
I don't like Pink Floyd. (inb4 flamers)

And I'm going to put most of this post in spoilers, because I want you to see the bottom and potentially skip all of this because you're just too darn stubborn to see it any other way.

I prefer to think of it as perseverance.

Methinks you do need to see more anime.
If I have more time, yes I will. Sigh... busy school and I have to get my damn season 3 arena gear in WoW.

But it's also very, very, very otaku-friendly, with the style ("RANDOM AND MECHA **** HAPPENING AT 532,747,921 MILES PER HOUR!!!!") and content (young, bored guy surrounded by girls that have some interest in him, experiencing a coming-of-age tale).

And I would hope that you're not trying to compare the humor of TMoHS to that example. There is actual wit (beyond the dull Mikuru gags) to the humor, with a lot of dry observations about human behavior, as well as a good deal of sarcasm.
You should REALLY, REALLY watch House M.D

And I think you seem to either underestimate and/or misunderstand a lot of basic truths about humans.
Probably underestimate.

With an exception to the truly uncaring people that have no regard for life and despise humanity as a whole, acts of kindness can be found in any type of person. Whether it be small gestures of help or actual sacrifices made purely on a whim, the possibility for human kindness -- just as much as cruelty -- is infinite.

I truly thought Haruhi was one of these people at the beginning of the show. And to be honest, I don't mind watching those people in anime because frankly, it is a breath of fresh air.

Haruhi's development makes sense. Up until growing tired of "boring, normal life" she was likely no different than most other school girls. Then we're introduced to the eccentric that she is at the beginning, and this frustration of her not managing to get anything her way continues to build until episode seven (the final episode in the broadcast episode). Haruhi's wish essentially comes true, except a truth is relayed upon her through that experience and also by way of Kyon's words: The real world isn't so bad. There can be excitement there. Interesting things can and will happen. From then on, Haruhi remains the same, but also undergoes subtle development because her whims aren't as demanding. The second half of the series from that point on indicates those subtle changes, the ability to compromise with others, etc.

Again, I thought Haruhi was more extreme and easily, it is extremely hard for even the "average" selfish person to even notice these subtle things in life. In most cases, they don't even try.

And really, man, you seem to be the only one who has taken up with this issue, both for the series' detractors and supporters. I suspect that it's not a case of hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of viewers being tricked and ignorant to this, but rather that it's something indicative about you.
Maybe.

No, because Shinji wants to survive. He isn't a coward (he whines, yes, but he is one of the most genuinely brave characters in recent fiction). If he doesn't fight, then he and everyone else dies. If he does fight, then there is a chance that they will live.
Like I said in above post, he saw 00 explode with the bomb and Asuka also lost. So really, if his first and foremost gole is to survive, running away would be the thing he is most likely to do in that situation. Of course, your reasoning make sense, but again, it all depends on the situation. You can analyze the situation logically here, but I doubt you could consider all the possibilities there.

Unless you're some idiotic fatalist (and I really hope you aren't), then there is no way you can argue against that.

I am no fatalist, but I do admit I find some of their points very interesting.

Unless they want to, y'know, actually live. That's just common sense that you seem to be forgetting about.
Running away would be the more "common sense" thing to do.

... Y'know, check out ANN's forum, as well as EvaGeeks. Bring up your complaints there. Start some threads. You'll get more reactions; not only that, but also at your target audience that you want to convince.

Seriously, you'll disappoint me if you don't.

But... the people there are scary....

Maybe you should try rewatching the series and pay closer attention. Maybe watch it in chronological order. Right from episode 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I), Haruhi showed signs of change. Right after Kyon's first conversation with her about her different hair styles. Most of her life, or at least after she realized that everyone was pretty much the same, her eccentricities pushed people away. Yet here was a guy talking to her, making comments about her and her behavior, and not leaving her alone. I think she found the situation interesting and kept going with it. But I also think that she had a few internal struggles about whether or not she should care what a non-supernatural person thinks.

My point being why would a person so inclined to act one way be so willing to accept new things. But I admit your point does make sense.

And it's not like she wasn't selfish throughout the series. Do you think a selfish person absolutely doesn't care for others. She makes the SOS Brigade do whatever she wants, but it's not like she's putting them in danger of getting hurt.

She should have been selfish all the time opposed of changing back and forth.

Personally, I think I'm the type of person who stays out of bad situations and on several occasions have given up. But if I were somehow in Shinji's position and most likely about to die whether I run away or not, I'd go "What the hell" and jump into the fray head-first. Just to see what happens. Not saying that Shinji would have the same thinking.

Again, you have the benefit of thinking clearly at the comfort of your home. Running away would be the "common sense" and "instinct" reaction. Staying and fight would be the more "logical" reaction. Now, I believe there is a great chance of you changing your reaction if you were put into a situation that extreme.

Asrialys

She should have been selfish all the time opposed of changing back and forth.
She's a still a growing teenage girl. Do you think everyone completely sets their character and behavior at such an early age and keeps it consistent? You did say that you thought Haruhi was the selfish type that could care less. And you also don't deny that people can change. However, you think that Haruhi's character changed unrealistically.

Haruhi probably would have remained as she was if Kyon had left her alone. Right from the beginning we learn about Haruhi's reputation: she joins every club and quits soon after, and she never turns down a boy, but dumps them right away. Seriously, why should she bother if she probably knew ahead of time that she would quit the club or dump the guy? For me, regardless of the odd announcement she made in her class introduction, I think she is seeking the interesting, or perhaps waiting for it to present itself to her. Then Kyon comes along.

Again, you have the benefit of thinking clearly at the comfort of your home. Running away would be the "common sense" and "instinct" reaction. Staying and fight would be the more "logical" reaction. Now, I believe there is a great chance of you changing your reaction if you were put into a situation that extreme.
I suppose you're right. I'm not in Shinji's situation, and probably will never be in a similar situation. However, you don't know who I am. Of course, I can't say that I can completely comprehend the personalities of others, real-life or fictional alike. Just because a person is more inclined to run away from danger doesn't mean that they can't fight against that urge. Who really knows what I really would have done from the very beginning if I were Shinji. Besides, I was being hypothetical and not saying that if I were Shinji, but if I were in his position. Sorry if it's a bit off-topic from Shinji's character.

I think HellKorn already mentioned it before, that Shinji most likely took on being an Eva pilot because he was needed, and he received praise for it. Gendou never needed him before, but now Shinji's being asked to work for him. So he probably felt some obligation to keep going. And when he first tried to quit, he was told that it didn't matter and that they'd just use Rei, regardless of her injuries. He could have just quit being a pilot right there, but I think he cared enough for Rei's well-being to take on the job once again. As for the end of series, when everything seemed lost, why should he quit? And he already said that he wouldn't run away anymore. So whatever little pride in himself he had was constantly challenged whenever he did think of running away.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
I've read the novels, and the hilariously witty script (Kyon's narration is, indeed, funny. I don't see what's so ordinary about his character model, in fact, I'd like to see more male anime/manga leads like him) and story dragged me in to read 3-4 volumes my first time around (despite the fact that I've already seen more than half of it in the anime). The anime is no different. Didn't the first novel win a literary award for its script and interesting characters? Unless every person that has won one of those were generally bad...

The animation is excellent by televised anime standards. No, it surpasses the expectations of great animation quality for anime that are broadcasted on television. If all Japanese TV series, one day, had the same animation quality as TMoHS, then I would have an orgasm. Obviously it hasn't happened yet, and if more series had - then trust me, I would be a much happier anime fan.

The soundtrack isn't really that bad at all. In fact, Hare Hare Yukai is really the only piece of music in the series that fits the description of overly "screechy and annoying". Of course, I found that song catchy as well, but that's just me.

Of course, it isn't a *masterpiece* by any means. And I wouldn't say it gets more recognition than Fooly Cooly. I mean, for a really short OVA, it's a pretty damn excellent comedy series - I really doubt that TMoHS overshadows it because of it's "cute character designs". If that was the case, the ANN Top 10 list says otherwise (seems that more people have seen FLCL compared to The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya... that would naturally mean it's more "recognized", doesn't it?). Even if that was really true, it's better than being an anime series that's recognized more than all others because it's an anime seires with cute character designs AND full of fluff (that would really make me cry). I wouldn't exactly call Fool Cooly a masterpiece either though... despite, again, being a pretty excellent comedy series, I believe other series/movies deserve a mention here and have a high enough quality in animation and storytelling to be called masterpieces: such as The Girl Who Lept Through Time, Mushishi, the Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X OVAs, and the first two Digimon movies (you may lol at me for having the word "Digimon" being mentioned in there. But trust me, I'm being serious on that one). I think your earlier statement in this thread overrates FLCL a bit in an attempt to prove The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is overrated and doesn't deserve most of the recognition it gets. Now, any level-headed anime fan would notice that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is slightly overrated in the anime fandom, but I would say that a lot of that praise is deserved (if you ignore those mindless Harutards [there's a difference between being a Harutard and being a Haruiist, people!] who praise the series on things that they shouldn't even be focusing on. OMG MOÉ SO DEEP AND PHILOSOPHICAL!!!).

If you feel that the storyline seems a little lacking, that's natural. Because the storyline isn't even "finished" yet. Of course, the story covered in the anime is really enjoyable when you actually watch it in chronological order (the broadcast order is bad for the head, and it's not accomplishing at all. Aside from the episode previews). For me, the script really flowed naturally when watching the dub, due to me understanding English more than Japanese and the ridiculous speed of the subtitles (Kyon talks pretty damn fast, you know), despite me liking the voices better.

And I don't get the whole point in a series doing something revolutionary in order to deserve any praise it gets. I mean, if a series follows certain clichés, whether in the characters or in the story, but pulls them off pretty damn well, shouldn't it be praised for that alone?

(P.S. To one or two of the first serveral posters in this thread that said that they found themselves "bored at times", did you remember to have your sarcasm detectors on?)

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Dude, me arguing with you is pretty much pointless as you seem to have already made up your mind with snapshot judgments.

So seriously, post on ANN and EvaGeeks about Haruhi and Shinji, respectively. Tell them why they are developed "unrealistically" and see their reactions. (And believe you me, at least from EvaGeeks, you'll get some solid solid replies there. Their bias is less antangonizing when it comes to analysis because their ambition is correct analysis to begin with.) See if you can "convince them" of this.

If you don't, then I'm sorry, but you're just one guy with delusions spouting nonsense.

However, I must cover...

I don't like Pink Floyd. (inb4 flamers)

YEAH WELL YOUR MOM HAS HERPIES.

(But it's still all cool and good.)

If all Japanese TV series, one day, had the same animation quality as TMoHS, then I would have an orgasm.

It'd be combining the artistic detail of anime and the fantastic animation of a lot of U.S. cartoons (think back to Road Runner, which has a ridiculous amount of frames per second compared to most television anime).

I wouldn't exactly call Fool Cooly a masterpiece either though... despite, again, being a pretty excellent comedy series, I believe other series/movies deserve a mention here and have a high enough quality in animation and storytelling to be called masterpieces: such as [...] the first two Digimon movies (you may lol at me for having the word "Digimon" being mentioned in there. But trust me, I'm being serious on that one).

No shame considering Mamoru Hosoda is simply amazing. (For a sheer spectacle of his visual talents, check out his One Piece film.)

And I don't get the whole point in a series doing something revolutionary in order to deserve any praise it gets. I mean, if a series follows certain clichés, whether in the characters or in the story, but pulls them off pretty damn well, shouldn't it be praised for that alone?

Cliches are cliches because they work so well when done right.

And for the record, I definitely prefer chronological order. The broadcast order is kind of fun for a first time viewing, but it doesn't add anything to the narrative (unlike a movie like Memento) or to the story (other than offering a more fan-friendly finish). Things fall together so much more satisfyingly in chronological order.

Edit: @Satoshi: That's a random cosplay of Asuka mimicking Haruhi, right?

I think that would break any meter measuring egotism in a person.