• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Overrated?

Anzua2

Dude, me arguing with you is pretty much pointless as you seem to have already made up your mind with snapshot judgments.

If you think this something, then try talking to GhostAnime.

It'd be combining the artistic detail of anime and the fantastic animation of a lot of U.S. cartoons (think back to Road Runner, which has a ridiculous amount of frames per second compared to most television anime).

OLD American cartoons. It's been years since the last well-animated US cartoon.

No shame considering Mamoru Hosoda is simply amazing. (For a sheer spectacle of his visual talents, check out his One Piece film.)

Please, try and point to a more fluid animator. I dare you.

Last edited:

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Dude, me arguing with you is pretty much pointless as you seem to have already made up your mind with snapshot judgments.

No offense to your points, but I am just no convinced by the arguments you made. Maybe it is me being stubborn, or maybe its something else. But this is really getting repetitive so I guess we could stop.

If you don't, then I'm sorry, but you're just one guy with delusions spouting nonsense.
Oh shi-.

I guess I better make a post there in the distant future.

YEAH WELL YOUR MOM HAS HERPIES.

I dislike most rock bands, really.

Except Red Hot Chili Peppers. If you dislike them, you need to be sky-uppercutted in the balls.

If you think this something, then try talking to GhostAnime.

Who's dat?

Tom and Jerry, Road Runners... those were the days...

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Edit: @Satoshi: That's a random cosplay of Asuka mimicking Haruhi, right?

I think that would break any meter measuring egotism in a person.
*slaps self* Oh god.

I honestly didn't notice she was mimicking Haruhi until you told me just now. D<

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
Man, this reminds me of an anecdote of mine.

So, like, once upon a time, I met this guy via AIM. And I brought up the topic of anime, to which the guy says, "Omfg. I hate those stupid Japanime cartoons...except for Melancholy of Haruhi." I thought that was a little random and weird since MoH seems like the kind of show that an anime fan would probably enjoy. And the guy goes on and on about how brilliant it is and Godly.

I wasn't impressed by what he said or the series itself when I saw a preview online.

...Basically, I agree that it's overrated.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
I wasn't impressed by what he said or the series itself when I saw a preview online.

So, you came to the conclusion that it's overrated based on a preview?

Angelique

transcending love~
Man, this reminds me of an anecdote of mine.

So, like, once upon a time, I met this guy via AIM. And I brought up the topic of anime, to which the guy says, "Omfg. I hate those stupid Japanime cartoons...except for Melancholy of Haruhi." I thought that was a little random and weird since MoH seems like the kind of show that an anime fan would probably enjoy. And the guy goes on and on about how brilliant it is and Godly.

You know, if you really want to get a good grasp of Haruhi, you should actually WATCH the whole series. It's a short one so there's no excuse for you to not watch all of it. At least patrickstar watched the whole damn series THEN decided it was overrated. You can't say a series is overrated based on a preview - that called JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS.

HK

Radiance of Shadows

Meant to specifically state older ones, though I haven't really kept up with recent U.S. television cartoons so I can't properly judge.

I'll take your word for it, tho'.

Please, try and point to a more fluid animator. I dare you.

Mitsuo Iso, and maybe Takeshi (sp?) Honda.

I win.

No offense to your points, but I am just no convinced by the arguments you made. Maybe it is me being stubborn, or maybe its something else.

I think we're onto something.

You're also reminding me of GATSU from ANN. Granted, nowhere near as illogical and ridiculous, but I'm getting "I've made up my mind and will stand for my weakly supported position even in the face of contrary evidence and the fact that I'm the only one arguing against the status quo and oh god why am I taking this crap seriously" vibes from you in this thread.

Just sayin'.

But this is really getting repetitive so I guess we could stop.

Agreed. Arguing (on the Internet) is tiresome to me, anyway; pretty much why I stopped with the five favorite anime characters thread (other than that lot isn't going to stop SPAMing and trolling, anyway :/).

I guess I better make a post there in the distant future.

Indeed.

[Ignorance of assumption.]

I think you posted this just to have people call you foolish for judging something purely based on hearsay and a freakin' preview. Because, honestly, there is no other rational reason I can come up with to justify the logic behind this post.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Agreed. Arguing (on the Internet) is tiresome to me, anyway; pretty much why I stopped with the five favorite anime characters thread (other than that lot isn't going to stop SPAMing and trolling, anyway :/).

A bunch of new Heavenly lords?

Somehow, I get the feeling that you will go there and laugh at me.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
A bunch of new Heavenly lords?

The old group had some wit and was funny on occasions, and also almost always kept on-topic.

The new group is generally devoid of this.

Somehow, I get the feeling that you will go there and laugh at me.

I'm not a member of EvaGeeks, and promise to remain an observer at ANN, 'kay?

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
The old group had some wit and was funny on occasions, and also almost always kept on-topic.

The new group is generally devoid of this.

I miss Akaba... I really do.

And on occasions, even Johnny.

I'm not a member of EvaGeeks, and promise to remain an observer at ANN, 'kay?

I will make a post there after I rewatch the series and compile a list of "moments" that can go with my argument so I wouldn't be accused of making very vague generalizations.

Laika

I think its a really good series. Maybe a touch overrated, I mean its nothing really revolutionary or groundbreaking but its still entertaining.

Renami

Benevolence
Just because the anime is so good & popular doesn't mean it's overrated.

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
If the popularity is undeserved and the anime itself isn't a good as it's hyped up to be, then yes, it's overrated.

And Haruhi fits all of the above.

That doesn't mean it's bad though. XD And it's not totally undeserved.

UltimateOtaku

Call me Dusk...
Of course it's freaking overrated.

But that doesn't mean it isn't one of the best anime out there. Nice music, too.