• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Meloetta

Since there are threads for Keldeo and Genesect, this should be allowed.

Meloetta is a unique Pokemon in that it can only change forme in battle; by default, it is in its Aria Forme, in which it is Normal / Psychic type. When it uses its signature move, Relic Song, it changes into its Pirouette forme. It reverts back to its Aria Forme when switched out.

Ability
Serene Grace: Not a bad ability, but Meloetta could have had a better one. It most notably gives Relic Song a 20% chance of putting the target to sleep, but that's still pretty low.

Stats
Aria Forme
Spr_5b_648.png

HP: 100
Atk: 77
Def: 77
Sp. Atk: 128
Sp. Def: 128
Speed: 90

Pirouette Forme
Spr_5b_648P.png

HP: 100
Atk: 128
Def: 90
Sp. Atk: 77
Sp. Def: 77
Speed: 128

Meloetta also has an extensive movepool. Usable competitive move include:

Relic Song
Return
Hidden Power
Work Up
Close Combat
Focus Blast
Psychic
Psyshock
Shadow Ball
Shadow Claw
Acrobatics
Stone Edge
Thunderbolt
Thunder

Here's a sample set:

Item: Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 128 Atk / 128 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
- Relic Song
- Psychic
- Close Combat
- Work Up

Share your sets, discuss what Tier Meloetta might end up in, or anything else about Meloetta competitively.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
I honestly don't know how Meloetta will do. Maybe I'm missing something but when I take a look at its stats and movepool, nothing really sticks out to me as outstanding. I feel it will be outclassed and be plagued by its abysmal defense and lackluster speed. I wouldn't be surprised at the moment for it to land in UU. Seems to me like Alakazam will outclass it with its superior speed + spA. Meloetta might be able to pull of decent support sets, but with the lack of reliable recovery and its terrible defense stat it won't find itself around for long. The only way to change it form would be using a fairly weak and bad typing STAB move in Relic Song, which just takes up a space in its movepool, which is just another downside for it.

Vandslaux

Meloetta just screams Aria Forme. Pirouette Forme is too gimmicky, since you need to waste a turn using Relic Song. I see Meloetta being used as a CM tank.

PokeMaster366

Meloetta just screams Aria Forme. Pirouette Forme is too gimmicky, since you need to waste a turn using Relic Song. I see Meloetta being used as a CM tank.

If I had to make guesses, the only use that Relic Song will have is that it will keep her from being completely checked by Steel types and TTar w/o having to rely on Focus Miss.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
My biggest draw to meloetta is being able to change which defense you want to take a hit with (assuming you're faster than the opponent)

Aquaholic

I could see Meloetta fitting right in on a VoltTurn team as a nice lead with the following moves:
Relic Song
Close Combat
Psychic
U-Turn

Relic Song removes the Dark- and Bug-type weaknesses (effectively reversing them at the cost of adding Fighting-, Psychic- and Flying-type weaknesses), adds a Rock-type resistance, boosts CC with raw Attack power and STAB. Using U-Turn will then come off of Pirouette Forme's higher Speed to wipe out the stat reductions, allow for a switch to a teammate and also reset Meloetta back to her Aria Forme. Her EVs for this set-up would proably be 128 Atk / 128 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
I think it will be OU. The problem with Meloetta is that it just can't do what it needs to. And what I mean by that is that, you HAVE to waste a turn basically setting up the Relic Song, and then you get very low defenses, to take an attack; and then if you hopefully live you'll get to hit with Psycho Cut / Close Combat / Shadow Claw(or Return).

It's just not that much coverage. If it were like Gallade hitting all over the place that'd be different.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Aria forme isn't too unique and the Pirouette forme requires Relic Song. A mixed set utilizing changing formes seems too risky. OU at best, UU at worst.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
Meloetta looks like it could easily fit in the OU tier considering it's passable speed and above-average Sp. Attack (regarding Aria forme). So this looks pleasing as it can easily outspeed threats like Haxorus or Hydreigon; any OU pokemon with high speed. I'm mainly focused on it's options for support on this one.

Angeltripper

♥ Ace ♥
if you can get into pirquette form without taking much damage, your opponent is ****ed. Meloetta is basically both a stronger Gardevoir and Terrakion

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
no one is looking at it's defensive prowess. max speed, and invest the rest into hp, def, and spdef, it could be a monster on stall teams

Angeltripper

♥ Ace ♥
Maybe so, but Gardevoir is in either NU or RU, and Terrakion outclasses Meloetta because it doesn't need an attack to change forms.

but because of it's great sp. def in Aria form, it can easily change against special attackers, then set up for a sweep

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I want to try a mixed set of

Relic Song
Close Combat
Psyshock
U-Turn

You have the freedom to either break through a Physical wall's lower SpDef or a Special Wall's lower Def and with entry hazard support they won't wanna switch out as much to handle the form change,

Like they have Blissey out, you use Relic song to get STAB CC, they need to switch out, but you have stealth rocks spikes and toxic spikes out, they risk losing someone either way, the switch-in has to be able to take a close combat after all the damage, or they leave blissey in to get hit hard and try to stall out CC's PP and if things go sour, like they switch to a ghost you can U-turn out. (if you predict right, you can psyshock them when they predict your relic song and switch to a ghost).

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
Considering the only way to transofmr her into her Fight/Normal form is to use a crappy move first, I doubt this pokemon will be that useful. Until more word comeso ut as to how we can transform her, she'll be subpar. Relic song makes her too good for UU but it isn't good enough for OU.

Need an item that auto-transforms her...

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
I have to agree with what someone said earlier in that once it sets up, Meloetta will devastate an opponent. I say this just because I've used Pirouette form to great success in DW OU on Smogon.

Its Pirouette form, once it gets to that form, is very hard to beat; in fact, the only way to beat it once it gets to that form is to have something either scarfed (such as Terrakion or Hydreigon) or something naturally faster than it (which in OU is somewhat scarce). If you don't have either of those, Meloetta will have a field day with your opponent's team (and I have turned the tide of battle several times in the Pirouette form).

Ilan

Considering the only way to transofmr her into her Fight/Normal form is to use a crappy move first, I doubt this pokemon will be that useful. Until more word comeso ut as to how we can transform her, she'll be subpar. Relic song makes her too good for UU but it isn't good enough for OU.

Need an item that auto-transforms her...

A move with 107 BP coming from a base 128 sp.attack (facturing STAB) is crappy?

I used the CM set in DW OU and I must admit it is an amazing set meloetta lost a resistance for an immuny the normal type then is not that bad only in the piroette form it is a bad one though...

Give meloetta zen headbutt Nuff said (Jirachi got his signature Iron Head by move tutors!) meloetta should too

imagine it a base 128 speed serene grace pokemon with a flinching move well... we got shaymin-S it would be Shaymin-S 2.

Also meloetta is one of few psychic types who can avoid being a pursuit bait scizor, tyranitar ? change to fighting form, hippowdon? slowbro change to psychic form.

Meloettas stats make it an exelent wall breaker.

Most meloetta which include changing types sets will have shadow ball/claw , close combat, relic song, Psychic/ a move tutor move.