• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Memories Are Made Of Bliss! (659)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Tears in my ****ing eyes.

This episode was so bittersweet. Ending how it began, with the ship coming back to Twinleaf’s port and Dawn waking up; DP has so many full circle moments that I really love. Dawn and Ash’s interactions were really cute, and the whole time you can see Dawn was reluctant to leave, esp when she mentions going to Kanto with them (how I wish it happened). The stylist job could’ve been more built up prior to this ep but I’m not too bothered by it. Piplup running off really pulled at my heartstrings, I felt the exact same way. Even though this was 12 years ago, I was like don’t leave guys!!! Made for a very sad moment when Pikachu and Piplup started crying together. Dawn comforting Piplup was sweet, but you can tell she wanted to cry as well. It made me want to cry too, like omg

TR blasting off for the last time in the series felt momentous. As in, the animation and triumphant feeling was well-done. Also feels like that because of how different their role in BW initially was (Matori’s first appearance was cool).

And then that iconic scene. Flint vs Cynthia is one of the best scenes in the entire anime, it’s just packed with so much buildup and emotional weight. Together 2007 playing, the animation, Ash imagining himself in Flint’s place. I was smiling the whole time but really grinned when the announcer asked if there was anyone that could beat Cynthia, and Ash responds that he’s right there. The moment just hits so different now! Peak fiction, truly.

Everyone affirming their dreams together was sweet, but the goodbye hit me straight in the heart. Just such a beautiful scene. The high five made me tear up, but Ash yelling daijobu after Dawn was about to cry? I was done. That final shot of Dawn hugging Piplup…..yeah. And then the last Kimi No Mune Ni La La La with all the series flashbacks was simply amazing.

But it was Ash and Brock parting ways that really did me in. Ash encouraging him to become a doctor, and Brock telling him to become a Pokémon Master in the exact way Ash says it killed me. I thought Brock was great in DP, and him leaving after all these years very much contributed to the definitive feeling of the ending. Their friendship is so deep and genuine, and this farewell so they could both go and achieve their dreams was so heartfelt. Following it w that last shot of Ash and Pikachu running to Pallet Town with the “Next time- a new beginning” as a bookend was just perfect. The anime could have (and should have) ended here and I would be completely satisfied.

DP is the magnum opus of the series. The series’ after it have had their perks but none of them have had the charm and effort put into DP. And you know what? That’s fine, that fact it happened once already and is as wonderful as it is to this day is more than enough. This rewatch reaffirmed to me that DP is my favorite series, and I have no doubt it’ll continue to be so no matter what else comes out.
Its bittersweet that I wont get more of your beautiful DP reviews :(
It felt like such a nostalgia trip and that even I was rewatching thanks to you!!

I miss DP so much, the most nostalgic for me and easily the best written anipoke saga yet!! I agree that while it didnt tie up all loose ends for Ash, the finale is the BEST fitting finale yet to serve as a series finale if need be. Brock leaving really hurts now because he is no longer the status quo like we were all used to, this is easily the best goodbye episode

To think, JN really in a way, aside from wrapping up Dawn.....finished DP. We see Brock being a succesful doctor with a fully evolved Blissey, we see Ash surpassing Flint and taking down Cynthia, we see Paul's maturity and becoming a gym leader while training Ash, We see Volkner reignited still in his battle spirit and trying to battle in more grander stages, we see Infernape still continue to want to be stronger, we see TG try and save Cyrus again and fail as the DP trio reunites once more...... The only plot thread left from DP is Dawn winning a grand festival honestly. And then....Its all wrapped up
Despite my misgivings with JN, ill be forever grateful for the DP fanservice

Sham

The Guardian of War
Tears in my ****ing eyes.

This episode was so bittersweet. Ending how it began, with the ship coming back to Twinleaf’s port and Dawn waking up; DP has so many full circle moments that I really love. Dawn and Ash’s interactions were really cute, and the whole time you can see Dawn was reluctant to leave, esp when she mentions going to Kanto with them (how I wish it happened). The stylist job could’ve been more built up prior to this ep but I’m not too bothered by it. Piplup running off really pulled at my heartstrings, I felt the exact same way. Even though this was 12 years ago, I was like don’t leave guys!!! Made for a very sad moment when Pikachu and Piplup started crying together. Dawn comforting Piplup was sweet, but you can tell she wanted to cry as well. It made me want to cry too, like omg

TR blasting off for the last time in the series felt momentous. As in, the animation and triumphant feeling was well-done. Also feels like that because of how different their role in BW initially was (Matori’s first appearance was cool).

And then that iconic scene. Flint vs Cynthia is one of the best scenes in the entire anime, it’s just packed with so much buildup and emotional weight. Together 2007 playing, the animation, Ash imagining himself in Flint’s place. I was smiling the whole time but really grinned when the announcer asked if there was anyone that could beat Cynthia, and Ash responds that he’s right there. The moment just hits so different now! Peak fiction, truly.

Everyone affirming their dreams together was sweet, but the goodbye hit me straight in the heart. Just such a beautiful scene. The high five made me tear up, but Ash yelling daijobu after Dawn was about to cry? I was done. That final shot of Dawn hugging Piplup…..yeah. And then the last Kimi No Mune Ni La La La with all the series flashbacks was simply amazing.

But it was Ash and Brock parting ways that really did me in. Ash encouraging him to become a doctor, and Brock telling him to become a Pokémon Master in the exact way Ash says it killed me. I thought Brock was great in DP, and him leaving after all these years very much contributed to the definitive feeling of the ending. Their friendship is so deep and genuine, and this farewell so they could both go and achieve their dreams was so heartfelt. Following it w that last shot of Ash and Pikachu running to Pallet Town with the “Next time- a new beginning” as a bookend was just perfect. The anime could have (and should have) ended here and I would be completely satisfied.

DP is the magnum opus of the series. The series’ after it have had their perks but none of them have had the charm and effort put into DP. And you know what? That’s fine, that fact it happened once already and is as wonderful as it is to this day is more than enough. This rewatch reaffirmed to me that DP is my favorite series, and I have no doubt it’ll continue to be so no matter what else comes out.
Really an endearing episode. It almost made you feel like you were saying goodbye to a friend. We’ve had 190 episodes of Piplup and Dawn and seeing Piplup cry out of fear of the unknown without Ash, Brock and Pikachu is marvelous.

Ash saying “No need to worry!” assuring Dawn that they will meet again is still a clip I play from time to time. This is probably the greatest/saddest goodbye of all time. Knowing that Dawn came back in Unova and PM is so fulfilling since you can really tell they had strong feelings for each other.

You said this very eloquently.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Bit of a downside is after this ep, Dawn never seemed to change or develop much in either her BW or JN cameos. Now I'm not one of those people who think she needed a ton of changes, but her team after the special remains the same for 12 years...and yeah, we never learn how she does in any other Contests. We can simply assume she lost 3 more Grand Festivals off-screen in Hoenn, Unova and Johto because she still isn't a Top coordinator.

Almost feels like Dawn peaked here.
Makes me upset as well. Makes no sense for her stagnation when her first Contest season she was already the runner-up in the GF by a very slim margin. Like by Johto she should’ve been a Top Coordinator. Buneary also should’ve evolved to fulfill its star/model status like Paris’, and I would’ve loved if her Quilava evolved into Hisuian Typhlosion somehow since I think it’s perfect for Contests. Everyone knows she’s extremely skilled but when there’s not much progress shown besides winning more Ribbons (compared to Iris as a Champion) it def contributes to feeling like she hasn’t done much. Also 100% should’ve worn a new outfit, BDSP literally had customization. The Spring Style was perfect

Sham

The Guardian of War
Makes me upset as well. Makes no sense for her stagnation when her first Contest season she was already the runner-up in the GF by a very slim margin. Like by Johto she should’ve been a Top Coordinator. Buneary also should’ve evolved to fulfill its star/model status like Paris’, and I would’ve loved if her Quilava evolved into Hisuian Typhlosion somehow since I think it’s perfect for Contests. Everyone knows she’s extremely skilled but when there’s not much progress shown besides winning more Ribbons (compared to Iris as a Champion) it def contributes to feeling like she hasn’t done much. Also 100% should’ve worn a new outfit, BDSP literally had customization. The Spring Style was perfect
I would have preferred if they left Unova out of it, to not throw more salt in the wound. Especially when Contests were never shown there and almost nobody knew about them.

Did they forget she was going to compete in Hoenn after her special?

Having Dawn compete in all of those Contests and then going back to Sinnoh after Ash only visited two regions since her return (one of which he was finalist and the other where he won) and having Dawn travel 4x amount of times was unnecessary. They tried to make it seem like she was more experienced but it did the exact opposite tbh

Last edited:

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I would have preferred if they left Unova out of it, to not throw more salt in the wound. Especially when Contests were never shown there and almost nobody knew about them.

Did they forget she was going to compete in Hoenn after her special?

Having Dawn compete in all of those Contests and then going back to Sinnoh after Ash only visited two regions (one of which he was finalist and the other where he won) and having Dawn travel 4x amount of times was unnecessary. They tried to make it seem like she was more experienced but it did the exact opposite tbh
Literally what would’ve been much more fufilling would’ve been by JN Dawn becoming a Top Coordinator and also working as a stylist. Unova having Contests is a neat idea before you realize they never existed there in the first place (Musicals did, which were such an awesome idea and even they got pushed aside) so it’s like what? This outcome just makes more sense and would’ve portrayed her in a more respectful light imo

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Its bittersweet that I wont get more of your beautiful DP reviews :(
It felt like such a nostalgia trip and that even I was rewatching thanks to you!!

I miss DP so much, the most nostalgic for me and easily the best written anipoke saga yet!! I agree that while it didnt tie up all loose ends for Ash, the finale is the BEST fitting finale yet to serve as a series finale if need be. Brock leaving really hurts now because he is no longer the status quo like we were all used to, this is easily the best goodbye episode

To think, JN really in a way, aside from wrapping up Dawn.....finished DP. We see Brock being a succesful doctor with a fully evolved Blissey, we see Ash surpassing Flint and taking down Cynthia, we see Paul's maturity and becoming a gym leader while training Ash, We see Volkner reignited still in his battle spirit and trying to battle in more grander stages, we see Infernape still continue to want to be stronger, we see TG try and save Cyrus again and fail as the DP trio reunites once more...... The only plot thread left from DP is Dawn winning a grand festival honestly. And then....Its all wrapped up
Despite my misgivings with JN, ill be forever grateful for the DP fanservice
It was my pleasure! I had the time of my life rewatching DP and writing all these in-depth reviews, talking about the series on here with you and everyone else was a lot of fun! I feel the same way haha, I was putting off watching this ep to begin with because I didn’t want it to end. But considering how the forum is atm, discussing something we all enjoy in such a positive light really helped brighten up my time on here. All good things must come to an end, much like the series itself :) :(

You make an excellent point there about JN. I expected Sinnoh focus bc of BDSP, but aside from Dawn’s slight lack of progression, DP was treated so well in its return. Much better than HGSS/ORAS were; us DP stans were truly fed (as we should). It wasn’t just starter and Legendary promo but actual plot points and character development for important fan favorites followed up on, and I’m so grateful for that. Lmaooo the more I think about it the more I look at Journeys favorably, like that Paul return? I’ll forgive literally anything just for that and let’s be real, they had their priorities straight giving DP the world and making XY fans mad

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
Literally what would’ve been much more fufilling would’ve been by JN Dawn becoming a Top Coordinator and also working as a stylist. Unova having Contests is a neat idea before you realize they never existed there in the first place (Musicals did, which were such an awesome idea and even they got pushed aside) so it’s like what? This outcome just makes more sense and would’ve portrayed her in a more respectful light imo
Especially taken into the fact Serena is aiming towards being a great performer and already is a famous idol in the Master Section teaming up with Lisia. The series is just cursed with the main cast never completing their dreams which you would think would at least change since Ash has had major feats recently.

The outfit change is a bit weird as well especially since they created Serena’s design with influence by the XY games customization. It’s almost likely they’re trying to portray Dawn as frozen and it really sucks because she basically got the closest to her goal.

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
This is the end of Ash's Journey for me, or at least should have been. Everything fits in so well, even if he didn't win the Sinnoh League, the Anime ending here is still it ending on a Perfect Note. Giving the message that Wins & Losses happen and everyone is still after their own respective dreams but they had to ruin it by continuing it in the Next Series (which was horrible).
I agree because Black and White ruined Ash as a character and they just made him forget everything he learned when traveling with his past companion friends.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Beautiful episode that made me cry, one of the most emotional goodbye’s when you take into consideration everything they went through in Diamond/Pearl.

It’s even more emotional when you realize the anime was never the same after Ash and Brock said goodbye.

Beautiful episode that made me cry, one of the most emotional goodbye’s when you take into consideration everything they went through in Diamond/Pearl.

It’s even more emotional when you realize the anime was never the same after Ash and Brock said goodbye.
It was never the same after the kiss… JN and SM art style sucks

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Though tbh it kinda rings hollow with JN not really building the fight up much and Infernape being a spectator
Yeah.

Needless to say, JN Cynthia is a pale imitation of DP Cynthia. Even her Garchomp was nerfed, lmao.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Idk say whatever you will of Garchomp's moveset, Cynthia definitely feels much more intimidating to me in JN than in DP
Her domination of Ash and throwing him out of pace in the beginning, seeing her badass poses and excellent character poses in battle drawings, seeing her utilise Dynamax and Mega evolution in the sexiest manner possible
Even her dialogues and the way she was up for the challenge and once again, just how ferocious her character design during the battles were drawn
I fell in love with Cynthia's battling style in JN in a way DP hinted would be the case with her but didn't outright show. Ash really challenged her to her limits for the first time in the series
Really love JN Cynthia as the continuation of DP Cynthia