• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mending a Broken Spirit! (888)

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. Liked the character development on Braixen and Serena, as well as James (Jeeves) helping Braixen and Serena a bit by reminding Serena about her promise to Serena. The flashback to a whole different area was very nice to see, referring back to Sinnoh and earlier.

Good to see Serena winning the battle and Braixen learning Fire Blast.

>a tree surgeon
What don't they have in the Pokemon world?
Now I'm waiting for an episode that has either a grass accountant or a flower lawyer

No one saw where Geeves(James) went later.
Everyone was right there when James revealed himself, so they shouldn't be that clueless.

Oh well, no point dwelling on something that has already happened.

Pikachu52

Once again Serena struggled to win a battle against Team Rocket. Braxien learns a Fire Blast and it bearly hits them. Pikachu had to finish them off as always. Any other travelling companion would not have needed to ask Ash for help. And she didn't really win against Gallade either - which is odd when you think about it. The Tree surgeon has probably spent most of his life as a tree surgeon and probably not been in many battles - You would think a trainer who is supposed to spend most of their time battling and training with their Pokémon (that's why you're on this journey Serena, not to follow Ash around) would have a better chance of winning.

It was a descent episode, but I can't help but feel that Braxien was just acting like a spoiled brat. James' explanation helped a little, but not enough. I could sympathize with a character acting like that.

In fairness to Braxien, his stick wasn't Pancham's to brake. It was obviously a precious item to Braxien that it didn't want to part with. Prior to this episode I had actually thought that Braxien/Delphox's firewand were somehow special and a part of their body like Oshawott's Schalchop. According to this episode it's just a stick like any other in the forest. I see your point, Braxien was a bit rude to Serena and the others when they were trying to help him. I can understand his anger at Pancham but the little Panda did try to do the right thing...

In some ways it wasn't that different to the episode Oshawott's lost Schalchop from BW - that episode is better than this one because it shows Oshawott as being more emotionally mature than Braxien. He genuniely tries to work with Ash to find a replacement for the Schalchop even though the Schalchop was irreplacable (though I think Oshawott could grow a new one), where as Braxien just outright rejects getting a replacement even though the first stick that Pancham found would have been just as good as his old one.

Speaking of James though, he was undoubtedly the best part of this episode. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first mention of his bottle cap collection and first flashback to his childhood since Sinnoh. That was really nice and refreshing to see. I just wish that instead of joining Team Rocket when they attacked, he tried to protect Braxien, saying that it was too important for it to get its stick back. Then he would accidentally get hit by a stray attack and last off with the rest of them at the end.

James's attitude is a little bit wooly in my opinion. His attitude reminded me of an Episode in the late Johto Series where Team Rocket steal all of Ash's Gym badges right before the Silver Conference. Ash goes through the same emotional experiences as Braxien - the badges were a symbol of everything he and his Pokémon partners had acheived and he was understandably upset about loosing them, similar to how Braxien's firewand was a symbol of committment between him and Serena. Like Braxien didn't want a new firewand, Ash refused to have the badges reissued. James was certainly less than understanding about Ash's feelings in that episode. Why is it that Team Rocket never show Ash or Pikachu any form of humanity and always neglect their feelings.

>a tree surgeon
What don't they have in the Pokemon world?
Now I'm waiting for an episode that has either a grass accountant or a flower lawyer

Everyone was right there when James revealed himself, so they shouldn't be that clueless.

Oh well, no point dwelling on something that has already happened.

Tree Surgeon's do exist. I don't see why there would be such a thing as a flower lawyer. A flower isn't a sentient being. It doesn't have any form of legal personality or agency and hence no capacity or standing to sue in a court. There are relatively few laws that pertain to flowers. In any case I don't see why the Pokémon world would have flower lawyers - we rarely see any form of governmental or legal authority in the anime other than Officer Jenny and the occassional mention of lawyers and judges in the original series.

My thoughts overall - 6.5/10 - Bit of a Meh episode. On to the next one then.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

Probably because the writers really love that disguise. James and the other two have used the same disguises multiple times in this region, and yet, the main four can't never tell it's them despite seeing TR taking them off.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I thought this episode was great. It was a great bonding episode for Braixen, Serena, and Pancham and the battle was nice as well. Braixen learning fire blast was pretty awesome and James was pretty good in this episode as well. I also loved how Serena seemed fed up with Team Rocket. 10/10

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
I loved how the episode showed how attached Braixen got to it's branch due to the many memories that was instilled within it but there comes a time where you have to move on and begin a new chapter. It was great that Braixen learned fire blast as this will make Serena's performances that bit more spectacular.

James was a great addition too (as Jeeves). The connection between the branch and bottle caps is a distant one but it inspired James to help a Pokémon in need.

Finally, interesting definition of a tree surgeon in the Pokémon world than it is to here in real life.

Good episode, onto the next one!

Pikachu52

I also loved how Serena seemed fed up with Team Rocket. 10/10

Of all the characters Serena seems to have the least right to be fed up with Team Rocket. They never usually bother her personally and rarely attempt to steal her Pokémon. It's usually Ash's Pikachu there after. In this episode they turned up for Ash's Pikachu yet again. If anyone should have been fed up with them it should have been Ash - who does express such sentiments in the Pokéball factory episode. Serena's being fed up with them didn't really add much to the episode - Serena once again didn't do much to Team Rocket and it was Pikachu as always who delivered the final blow. I don't see why Serena should be the the one to be showing frustration towards Team Rocket when the gravest injustices the TRio commits are towards Pikachu and not her. It's Pikachu who should be fed up with them.

If anything I think her moment of frustration makes Serena appear bratty. The reason she gets angry is not because of the extreme physical and emotional suffering Jessie James and Meowth are trying to inflict on poor Pikachu, but because of the fact that they interrupted while everyone was paying attention to her and Braxien. Team Rocket have done some terrible things in this series including stealing all the water from Goodra's homeland but Serena stays relatively silent in all of those.

Last edited:

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Now this is an episode I can relate to. Felt bad for Braixen, and it's understandable on where she's coming from. Yeah, Pancham went overboard with the Stone Edge, but she was a bit too hard on him.

Also, I liked how Pancham brough out that huge stick from under his fur... okay.

James was great throughout this episode, and the bottle cap craze is back!

Honestly, the cast had no idea James was Jeeves?? ... This is a new level for the gang being oblivious.

DatsRight

While people complain about TR's role being superfluous, maybe it is, but what do you have left without them? A story about angsting over a STICK. While it does add a bit of interesting analysis onto Braixen (and I liked her original fussy personality as a Fennekin returning during the first half) there's not much there otherwise to hold the story. Okay we might have gotten a fuller battle (which would have been beneficial since Braixen hasn't been in really many besides TR one sided beatdowns), but the whole episode and climax was sluggish, if anything the TR scenes were most to-the-point.

If anything I would like to see an episode that plays more on the role one of the trio had here. We see them actually being more in touch with a Pokemon's feelings than one of the heroes, in other words, actually being more competent than them in some aspect, so much they get frustrated by the heroes' obliviousness and use their trademark costumes to guide them the right direction. It's not used to a huge degree but I like that sort of twist made with the costume antics, almost like a reverse Clark Kent, being lame easily swatted villains for one persona and respected knowledgeable voices of wisdom in another, especially how everyone thinks 'Jeeves' just mysteriously vanished into the wind. Hilarious way to end the episode.

I'm waiting for an episode the trio take on superhero aliases, and then completely put Ash to shame, shortly before he decimates their next Pikachu theft. XD

I kinda like that subtle touch of Braixen just stopping besides 'Jeeves' and sulking, like without the Rocket uniform to hint her off, she just senses him as someone warm and trusting enough to be beside in her low mood.

Last edited:

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I loved this episode so much. Always nice to see James' bottlecap fascination and his kindness.

James's generosity was fine and all, but since we know how he'll never change permanently, it was sad seeing the good side of him knowing that he'll go back to being "evil" in subsequent episodes.

Alloutℯ

Banned
I think this is a sweet episode. It shows the strong bond Braixen has with Serena. I totally understand how Braixen feels with her attachment towards her stick. I get attached to my stuff a lot all the time because the things around me are all precious.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
You would think a trainer who is supposed to spend most of their time battling

No, she spends most of her time practicing for performances. Battling has nothing to do with her goal, similar to how battling has nothing to do with the tree surgeon's job either, as you said.

In fairness to Braxien, his ... him ... his ... his

Braixen is female

Leonhart

Imagineer
The mere fact that Serena was doing some practicing in preparation for her next TryPokaron in this episode made me grateful that she was getting into her own groove as a performer, and Tairenar breaking her wand was intriguing. I didn't think that Pokemon tools could get damaged.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I liked that Serena get focused on her training instead of Ash, that she's determined to handle threatening situations and challenges, Braixen learning Fire Blast and I was fine about its new stick. But I was disappointed that the writers trolled her battle record/capabilities, especially after how she and Bonnie managed to defeat TRio during the 2nd Goomy episode on their own, and Gallade down to its knees instead of being KOed despite the win. So it's probably the worst Serena focused episode to me, sorry.

Ash and friends were either blind or too dumb to see James removing his disguise when they were asking where did Jeeves go, as both Serena and the Woodmaster were right behind him when the rest of Team Rocket attacked. I think the point of this episode was to answer any possible fan question on what would happen if a Braixen's magic stick broke.

I was watching this episode for the latest farfetch and braixen memes

It was pretty decent imo, we had Fire Blast, Serena training and a bit of James's past. These are the fillers that are worth it in some way, I would like to see more of that in Journeys, although we already had the Raboot and Goh episode in Hoenn, which was pretty good.

Oh I forgot to mention the interaction between two characters, James advising Serena reminded me of Brock every time he did it with May

Last edited:

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
I like this quote from the woodward.

“There’s nothing wrong with wanting to hold on to precious things from the past, but becoming overly attached can keep you stuck in the past as well.”

This was also a nice Braixen episode, it helped build her character since it gives her emotions and motivations. Wish we had been able to see her battle more.