• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mentors

Charizard-Fan

Star Wars fan
Do you have any kind of mentor in your life, or even several ones? When I say mentor, I mean an adult person you admire, you trust and you can talk about things that bother you.

I have two priests which are definitely like mentors to me. Both are really nice, I trust them and there aren't too many things that I can't talk to them. In fact, I've told/spoken both priests about many things I don't wanna tell to no one else; not even to my friends.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I have none. I prefer to keep my problems to myself, I don't ever remember of exposing them to anyone. Not even my family. But this is a problem, actually, because I dont have anyone to talk and everything I'd love to talk with someone else, I can't. Don't ask me why, though. It's just me being myself.

Well, I'm an adult, I'm 19, and my girlfriend is 20, the Netherlands has 18 as the limit for adulthood, so I could call my girlfriend a mentor by that logic, and she could call me one by that logic, but I know that's not what this topic means. But she and I do give each other the listening ear we need and truly trust each other with anything.

Anyways, I used to see my mom as a mentor, even though I'm not sure if relatives are what this topic is looking for. However, my mom can't keep a secret and tells my dad anything I tell her, so I can't truly trust her, so I don't see her as a mentor anymore.

Aside from that, no one at this moment. In elementary school, most teachers were awful, aside from one, but I didn't trust him with anything personal. Later, I did see one teacher that way, one of the very few people who took me seriously at school during the awful times when I got bullied. But no personal things aside from that.

Anyways, you could say that I can see some people as a somewhat-mentor, but that it's not enough to be a mentor (my mom, that teacher), or that it's not what this topic is looking for (my girlfriend).

EDIT IN MAY 2014: since the start of this year, my BFF (3 years older than me) and I started Skyping, which is how she became my BFF, and I can tell her anything and she's always understanding. I prefer the word BFF over mentor, but she can do anything for me a mentor could as well.

Last edited:

Puma Italia

If my parents count, they are definitely my mentors. My parents are extremely understanding, and whenever I am having a problem, I feel very comfortable talking to them about it.

If my parents count, they are definitely my mentors. My parents are extremely understanding, and whenever I am having a problem, I feel very comfortable talking to them about it.

That's good. You're lucky. My dad is unempathic and I'm oversensitive, so we argue too much for me to fully trust him, and my mom can't keep a secret. I'm so glad my girlfriend is an awesome listening ear, she's so understanding, patient and kind! And I also try my best to be a listening ear for her, she thinks I'm doing a good job at that.

Last edited:

ChloboShoka

Writer
Most people in my mum's friendship circle. They can turn a miserable situation into a good laugh.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
My mom and my dad can't be considered my mentors either, so I'm with you Aqua Milotic.
My dad is extremely insensitive and my mom is so religious (and so is my whole family). They always try to either introduce me into their own beliefs, criticise me or say how small my problems. Now, you see, this doesn't help at all. I need someone to listen to me and help me somehow. Criticising is needed at most points, but sometimes you just need to hear some "I'm with you". But eh, no success with them. My brothers... Meh.

Luckily for me, however, is that I don't really care and can live all by myself.
But someday, I'll have to let things out though.

Well, I didn't have any mentor that I really admire...
The people I admire most are my English teachers xD