• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metagame Adaptation Discussion

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
After watching this video about the basics of teambuilding, it gave a question to research upon. If one intends to stay at the top of the metagame in a tier they reside, one of the important aspects is learning on how to adapt to an ever changing metagame for there is no perfect pokemon team that makes you have zero losses. Hence, getting any defeats on any pokemon battle is not always bad for they are learning experiences.

Hence, this is a thread and discussion open to ALL competitive Pokémon players. Whether you are an OU player in Smogon, RU, STABMons, NU, Little Cup, Ubers, and any other established by competitive Pokémon Communities, I want to learn your analysis and values on the following questions involving adaptation of the changing Pokémon Metagame.

==========================================

1. When you create a Pokémon Team from scratch, do you build it blindly first? Or do you look at the current threats of the metagame you choose to play around? Why?

2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of playing with a blindly built Pokémon team?

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of playing with a Pokémon team built to deal with the current metagame?

Questions 4 and 5 are in terms of building the team:

4. If the team you are using has more wins than losses, what would you add or remove in most instances? How much do you add and/or remove changes?

5. If the team you are using has more losses than wins, what would you add or remove in most instances? How much do you add and/or remove changes?

Questions 6 and 7 are in terms of playing and using your Pokemon team in practice (in the middle of the actual battle):

6. If you are currently holding the advantage of the battle, do you stick to the win-condition of your built team? Or set a back-up plan if something unexpected happens (like your Pokémon with 50% health getting killed with a resisted critical hit, or getting flinched)? Why?

7. If you are currently losing your momentum in the battle yet still has a chance to pull a comeback victory, do you immediately make a change of plan that goes a step or two ahead? Or do you still stick with the potential win condition your remaining team has and hope for a misplay for the opponent to make? Why?

Question 8 involves the Pokémon Tier Viability ranking system:

8. If the central pokemon (that one pokemon is your guaranteed win condition) or Pokémon duo / trio (simply, your team's core that could win you the game) belongs to the B Rank all up to the S Rank of your selected tier, how much do you have to do to make your central pokemon / core adaptable to the current Metagame?

9. If the central pokemon (that one pokemon is your guaranteed win condition) or Pokémon duo / trio (simply, your team's core that could win you the game) belongs to the C Rank of your selected tier or from a lower tier (like using an A Rank NU Pokémon on an RU team on Smogon), how much do you have to do to make your central pokemon / core adaptable to the current Metagame?

If any of you have questions to ask, you can post it here on this thread. I tried waiting for a response on the Ask a Question thread for a few days now and I got no answer as to where I should create this discussion thread anyway. My guess is that it's okay to post it here. So I apologize in advance.