• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metagross Cheap

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
I come in with this, we all know the powerful Metagross that took G3 by storm, but compared to its other pseudo-legendary brethren (and no my name has nothing to do with this) it has a significant flaw that was supposed to be a chink in the armor, its typing. While the others have got 4x weaknesses Metagross has none, in fact being strong against most types.

My question is this, do you think it is justified or fair? Do you think Metagross may be lacking something compared to the others and that levels it out?

I think that the typing sets it up too high but i think that there is something that brings it down a little, agains to do with its type. All of the pseudos also have an immunity and while the other four have very useful immunities Metagross has one to, poison. It's my favorite type but compared to the rest it's pretty inferior when there are Ground and Electric guards up.

BCVM22

So there's your balance. It's not 4x weak to any type of attack, but at the same time it possesses no immunity to any type either.

Metagross still takes 2x damage from Fire and Ground and neutral damage from Water, Electric, Fighting, Bug, Ghost and Dark. Most of these types aren't particularly rare and it's not hard to raise a capable Pokémon that can STAB an attack of any of those types.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
well actually steel types can't be touched by poison types, no effection, that's what I'm trying to get across, is that really good enough to balance it out? And Meatgross has the least amount of weaknesses along with garchomp, dragonite and salamence have three and Tyranitar has like six, paired with its good defense it just seems too strong. I love it and I use it but still.

BCVM22

Okay, so it has one immunity. Not to poo-poo the Poison-type, but the case could be made that Metagross' immunity is to an attack type that's not often used in an all-out assault and gets more use in weakening a foe over time, as opposed to an immunity to a type that can be used to bring some thunder in a battle, like the Fire-type or the Electric-type or the Ground-type.

Ampy

Light The Stars
TTar is cheaper (not cheap), and is the best tank in the OU metagame.. if any pseudo is cheap it's Chompie

Hiro__

∞Melancholy∞
i think metagross is a pretty powerful pokemon, like it was meant to be. It was meant to be compared to salamence, and other power houses of the 3rd generation, as opposed to weaker pokemon. It has one little used immunity however, and a fair smattering of normally effective moves against it, with 2 weaknesses, and another fair amount of resistances, like its .25 resistance to psychic. Plus, it has pretty good stats although speed and hp are lacking a bit, and a good move pool. It's meant to be like this, but there are probably quite a few good fire or ground types that could outrun it and get in a good STAB move before it can even move, for an OHKO. So it's not unconquerable either. I think it's meant to be not undestroyable, but also not just a minor nuissance. You have to actual take it into account when preparing your pokemon for battle, as a possible pokemon that could take down your whole team if unprepared and prepare accordingly so that when someone DOES use it, you can shoot it down just as fast.

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache
Metagross isn't that cheap... Other pokemon can conquer it (i.e. Arcanine, Garchomp, Moltres, Heatran etc.) Other Pokemon can also beat it, despite having a type weakness (i.e. Regice, Regirock, Rhyperior, Articuno, Mamoswine, Aggron etc.)

SolarPowerX

IMO It's strong, but I don't think it's cheap. It can also be walled (Example Skarmory, bronzong) and I'm pretty sure it's movepool is pretty slim, the moves it can learn are strong, but type wise, it doesn't learn a wide enough variety to land a super effective on that many pokemon. Movepools may not seem that important, but if a pokemon has a predictable set, the opponent can find a way to counter it much easier, and if it's set isn't wide enough, it could get walled. If your opponent doesn't have a good move or pokemon to deal with Metagross, then it can be nearly unstoppable, otherwise, it just seems like a regular OU pokemon.

Last edited:

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
It doesn't have a 4x weakness because it is slow as mollasses. I know Tyranitar isn't particularly fast, but it has Sandsteam, even though thats not much.

ComelyCleric~

I would have to say that I am on the fence on whether or not to call it cheap. I have been in a situation where a Metagross got two attack raises against me and managed to sweep my entire team. Though I would have to say that Metagross's usefullness and subsequently "cheapness" lie with the luck and team support that the user gives it. If a Metagross gets two attack raises, then it can take out even a Skarmory with relative ease. Is this cheap? Once again, it comes down to whether or not the user of the metagross can make it function well on their team.

YoYie

I you bet
it's not too hard to use your tyranitar to dd up and sweep, by just making sure you don't get it in on anything with a fighting move. That is actually not that hard.

metagross however, posesses weaknesses to fire and ground, two of the most common types in the game. The amount of pokemon metagross can set up on is limited due to these weaknesses, whereas salamence and tyranitar have useful immunities to come in on anything without ice/fighting moves, which is not that hard like i said

Surfer_Dude

Aspiring Guitarist
Nah. Metagross is balanced. It doesn't take x4 damage from anything, but it does take x2 from fire and ground (maybe ghost...i forgot)

Katipunero

Eye in the Sky
Metagross is one awesome pokemon for its unique dual type combination.It is weak to fire & ground(2x) because of its ground properties.Very resistant to Normal,Flying,Rock,Steel,Grass,Psychic ,Ice ,and Dragon(½×).It is true that it is totally immune to poison(0x).And finally has normal damage from Fighting,Bug,ghost,water,electric,and dark(1x)

pastel

Viva el Reggaeton!
just fair, to think of sth else, the first thing nintendo tought of...

kingofmaelstroms

ground is probably the most common type of move there is, alot of pokemon can use EQ so i think this balances thing. also the fact that metagross is pretty slow.

Nixoth

Ace Trainer
So there's your balance. It's not 4x weak to any type of attack, but at the same time it possesses no immunity to any type either.

Metagross still takes 2x damage from Fire and Ground and neutral damage from Water, Electric, Fighting, Bug, Ghost and Dark. Most of these types aren't particularly rare and it's not hard to raise a capable Pokémon that can STAB an attack of any of those types.

actually its immune to poison because its part steel. but i think that one of the things that sort of acts to balance it out is the fact that metagross takes forever to level up

BCVM22

actually its immune to poison because its part steel. but i think that one of the things that sort of acts to balance it out is the fact that metagross takes forever to level up

And as you might have noticed from reading further than that one post, I acknowleged that and corrected it about 19 minutes later.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
As stated many times before, Metagross is weak to Fire and Ground. That is not a good thing.

Not only that, but Bulky Waters can pretty easily wall Metagross; doesn't help Swampert can use EQ as well.

Anyway, Metagross is in OU. That pretty much sums up the whole thing right there.