• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Listening to grown men scream like there pregnant? No thankyou.

A. A scream due to pregnancy is a tortured scream. A metal scream/yell/growl is head-banging good, if performed correctly.

B. It isn't all grown men. Ever heard of Arch Enemy?

Anyways, I've been listening to a lot of Iron Maiden recently, as well as Slayer. I've found that I enjoy these as much, if not more, than some of today's metal bands.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Anyways, I've been listening to a lot of Iron Maiden recently, as well as Slayer. I've found that I enjoy these as much, if not more, than some of today's metal bands.

I think some people need to expand their tastes a bit more.

And I don't mean that in an elitism way, either (though I don't really think much of either bands). Hearing and seeing folks just rattle off about Slayer/Iron Maiden/Anthrax/Metallica/Megadeth/In Flames/Pantera/Iced Earth/Lamb of God/whatever is a bit depressing.

Plus, it also shows "safe, conventional" tastes. And people should learn to experiment and play outside the box more. Really.

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
I think some people need to expand their tastes a bit more.

And I don't mean that in an elitism way, either (though I don't really think much of either bands). Hearing and seeing folks just rattle off about Slayer/Iron Maiden/Anthrax/Metallica/Megadeth/In Flames/Pantera/Iced Earth/Lamb of God/whatever is a bit depressing.

Plus, it also shows "safe, conventional" tastes. And people should learn to experiment and play outside the box more. Really.

Music is an art form, regardless.. It's always nice to expand your horizons and get involved in those unsigned and "against the grain" bands, but it's all on what you find pleasurable to the senses. It's to be expected that the classics and MTV bands are worn out, they get the most airtime..

I hate it when people get music snobby, especially when it comes to Metal. There's a fine line between disliking a band for the sound, and saying something sucks just to say it sucks. Sure, the popular, "legendary" bands are worn out, but there's a reason why.

Brettt

satirist
The only metal bands I like are Korn and Celldweller, but I have (almost) every song by both artists.

Sorry Imperial Dragon, haven't heard of Hellhammer, though I do like that you know Coldseed, they are good.

Slayer are close to metal, still a little soft for my taste, personally, that stuff is what I consider "hard rock." Also, I consider slipknot to be pop rock, considering their immense popularity with metalhead posers who actually have never heard real metal.

I personally categoirze most metal as ones that have some sort of screaming in them, which is personally my favorite kind of music. I am gonig to see As I lay Dying in a few weeks, and that should be great. In Flames, Job for a Cowboy, and All That Remains are some other good examples, along with bands like Emarosa and The Devil Wears Prada, though in the past I have been ridiculed because apparently they are tipified as "screamo" and in effect, emo.

Also, has anyone heard of Babylonian Bloodbath or Dying Fetus?

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
Also, has anyone heard of Babylonian Bloodbath or Dying Fetus?

Kill your mother - Rape your dog. :) Dying Fetus is alright, but with most Death Metal, the beat for the majority of the songs is simplistic and repetitive, but do what thou wilt.

Brettt

satirist
Kill your mother - Rape your dog. :) Dying Fetus is alright, but with most Death Metal, the beat for the majority of the songs is simplistic and repetitive, but do what thou wilt.

True dat, their songs are absolutely grotesque, but their instrumentals are mind-blowing.

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
True dat, their songs are absolutely grotesque, but their instrumentals are mind-blowing.

I second that. Have you checked out an underground band by the name of "Bestial Mockery"? They're a fusion between Black and Death, and the sample I heard was kickass. Magnum Carnage is also a hybrid between Death and Thrash, they're also great. Both bands need to get signed, they could go places.

Evil_Lathander

Pokémon forever
I would very much appreciate it if people, when they don't like a band, say that in their opinion, it isn't a good band.(especially mentioning the "in their opinion" part)

Just saying that the band in question sucks, has an underlying meaning along the lines of: "I think it's like that and you MUST also think that because I think it"

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I hate it when people get music snobby, especially when it comes to Metal. There's a fine line between disliking a band for the sound, and saying something sucks just to say it sucks. Sure, the popular, "legendary" bands are worn out, but there's a reason why.

That's pretty much a given, but I think there's a line to be drawn between stuff that people are actively seeking out because they are genuinely interested in expanding their tastes and those that are seeking it just to be tr00 m3tl fans.

It's also a bit depressing when folks simply get to a band that's outside the norms in some way and don't go further. When I discovered Pink Floyd, Tool, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, and Radiohead I wasn't satisfied by returning back to heavy/thrash/whatever metal there was. This stuff was different. It had elements that I wasn't accustomed to, and I liked it. So I sought out more material that was akin to them yet not, musicians that were as good if not better than those bands.

I would very much appreciate it if people, when they don't like a band, say that in their opinion, it isn't a good band.(especially mentioning the "in their opinion" part)

Dude, that is so ****ing redundant that I don't even know where to start.

I mean, I'm all for niceness and all, but I think people should grow some skin if they are actually insulted by someone hating one of their favorite bands.

Hey, you know what they say:
You can't kill the metal
The metal will live on
Punk-Rock tried to kill the metal
But they failed, as they were smite to the ground
New-wave tried to kill the metal
But they failed, as they were stricken down to the ground
Grunge tried to kill the metal Ha,hahahahaha
They failed, as they were thrown to the ground

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality

Sorry Imperial Dragon, haven't heard of Hellhammer, though I do like that you know Coldseed, they are good.

Slayer are close to metal, still a little soft for my taste, personally, that stuff is what I consider "hard rock." Also, I consider slipknot to be pop rock, considering their immense popularity with metalhead posers who actually have never heard real metal.

Man you should check out Hellhammer, they're actually the original version of the band we now know as Celtic Frost.

To be fair, I'd say Slayer are straight up heavy metal, one of the bands commonly known for fusing thrash elements with the heavier death metal influenced instrumental. Pop rock is also a bit too much of an extreme label for Slipknot too, considering what bands actually pass as pop rock, Slipknot were part of that movement that created the mini mosher generation, so I would have thought nu-metal would be a better description. No offence obviously dude, just throwing in my opinion :p lol

And to whoever mentioned Cynic - nice choice mate. I hear they're apparently recording a new album, after a break of what, 15 years?

Speaking of expanding musical tastes... anyone here into punk stuff, such as Anti Flag or The Exploited?

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
HellKorn said:
That's pretty much a given, but I think there's a line to be drawn between stuff that people are actively seeking out because they are genuinely interested in expanding their tastes and those that are seeking it just to be tr00 m3tl fans.

It's also a bit depressing when folks simply get to a band that's outside the norms in some way and don't go further. When I discovered Pink Floyd, Tool, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, and Radiohead I wasn't satisfied by returning back to heavy/thrash/whatever metal there was. This stuff was different. It had elements that I wasn't accustomed to, and I liked it. So I sought out more material that was akin to them yet not, musicians that were as good if not better than those bands.

A lot of that has to do with the metal community though. There's a lot of elitist people who listen exclusively to bands that no one else has ever heard of, which pressures contemporary listeners to get involved in these acts or else they aren't "zomg kvlt".

You know, I was the same exact way when I first heard Bathory's later works. "Mother Earth, Father Thunder" moved me spiritually and Quorthon was one of the most talented men in Metal. I've tried venturing into other "Viking" or "Folk" metal bands, but none can match Quorthon's beauty.

Metal is far from SERIOUS BUSINESS, Black Metal in particular. It's more or less a walking joke, which doesn't make the music bad by any means, but you have to take the second generation with a grain of salt which is why I push aside those bands. The days have changed quite a bit since the times that Euronymous called the shots, the days when Marduk and and Immortal were gods.

IMPERIAL_DRAGON said:
Speaking of expanding musical tastes... anyone here into punk stuff, such as Anti Flag or The Exploited?

I usually stick to the early Hardcore movement. Bad Brains, Black Flag, etc. I haven't listened to Anti Flag or The Exploited yet though, that's on my list of things to do.

Last edited:

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
I'm a metal head...
more importantly I'm a Manowarrior, you know, the 'tr00' metal heads that no one dares to take seriously because we may stab you with our mighty viking steel :p

In all seriousness though I tend to gravitate around power and symphonic metal like Blind Guardian and Rhapsody although some folk metal works its way in too such as Turisas and Korpiklaani.

And more recently the awesome ALESTORM. Pirate metal lyrics are probably the most fun you will ever get out of an audio-system.

When I come back from a mighty quest
I have no need for sleep or rest
I head to a tavern for a drink
And get so drunk I cannot think
A wench by my side and a jug of mead
These are the things that I most need
So I sit back and sing this song
And drink and party all night long

Hey! Hey!
I want more wenches
Hey! Hey!
More wenches and mead
Hey! Hey!
I want more wenches
Lots of wenches is what I need

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
Angus Young of AC/DC once said that he felt insulted that magazines called AC/DC "metal"

can anybody understand this?

judas.jpg

That's probably why. Leather chaps aside, Angus Young is completely right. AC/DC is very different from Metal, and while I wouldn't be offended if someone called my music "met0l", I can see where he's coming from because AC/DC, while similar to Metal, isn't Metal by a long shot.

Long live Bon Scott.

^^ Nah, AC/DC is a kind of screamy insane rock that doesn't quite fall under a single classification.

Ragnarofl

Binkan Binkan Binkan
So, what are your favorite metal branches?

I'll pretty much listen to any as long as it appeals me, but I usually prefer Heavy, Progressive, Symphonic and Black.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
So, what are your favorite metal branches?

I'll pretty much listen to any as long as it appeals me, but I usually prefer Heavy, Progressive, Symphonic and Black.

I like the Heavy, Symphonic, Death, and Nu branches of metal. I'll sometimes listen to Speed Metal, but many of the more famous of the bands under that branch don't have the best vocals. I'm not saying that they aren't all good, but some of the ones I have listened to aren't good vocal-wise.

Symphonic puts a good edge on metal, in my opinion. One of my favorites, Dark Tranquility, has great Symphonic Metal music. That's one of the things that sets them apart from other bands; it has the usual metal tone, but has a melodic tone in there as well. Listen to "Terminus: Where Death Is Most Alive", and you'll see what I'm talking about.

zack_l_astro

Slayer, Metallica (early), Pantera, Killswitch Engage, System of a Down (Alternative Metal, if it counts), Dethklok, Nightwish, Megadeth, Opeth, Tool (partially metal), In Flames, Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth, Sepultura (Earlier), Shadows Fall, and I could keep going but I'm rather lazy. I'm also keeping myself from saying "Slipknot", because I know I'm pretty much alone in considering them metal.

Speaking of metal, I could really use the names of a few good Metalcore/Groove Metal/Thrash Metal bands, I'd like to make my taste a little more diverse.

chimaira, devil driver, trivium. Check em out ;)