• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

zack_l_astro

One problem, Nu-metal isn't metal.

And I don't really get the hype behind Black Metal, seeing as I have yet to hear a Black Metal song I can really get into. Anyone care to name one?

Dimmu Borgir - Progenies of the great Apocalypse

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
One problem, Nu-metal isn't metal.

And I don't really get the hype behind Black Metal, seeing as I have yet to hear a Black Metal song I can really get into. Anyone care to suggest one?

Black's appeal mainly comes from the "true" (not that LeVay Neopaganism) Satanism stance of some of the large names in Black Metal. Here are a few good ones..

Mayhem - Pagan Fears
Mayhem - Deathcrush
Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn.. When We Are Gathered
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Immortal - Tyrants
Most of Gorgoroth's "Antichrist" album is also good to start with..

zack_l_astro said:

Zack, I wouldn't go as far as to consider Dimmu "Black Metal". They're a talented band, but they've gotten far away from their Black roots. Here's one of Immortal's best songs. They're one of the few bands willing to push the genre outside of it's stereotypes, combining German Thrash with the original Black Metal style. Abbath is god, oh yes, he is god. See the difference?

Last edited:

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming

Dimmu isn't that good of a band. Although some of the music alone is decent, the vocals are horrifying. In my opinion, Death Metal would be better to get into than Black Metal if you prefer the metal growling. Many Black Metal bands I have heard use fast vocals and swift music, but I might be a bit biased, as I'm not that much of a fan of Black Metal.

zack_l_astro

for a great thrash metal band, check out Trivium.

Trivium - Dying in your arms
Trivium - Like light to the flies
Trivium - Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr

those are just a few songs, I encourage you to check em out if youre looking for a thrash metal band.

btw, heres an "off topic question" do you guys play instruments? if so what songs could you play?

me I was a guitarist, I could play almost anything.. I could play devil driver - end of the line
a few songs with trivium.
also some with metallica
and deftones.

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
Dimmu isn't that good of a band. Although some of the music alone is decent, the vocals are horrifying. In my opinion, Death Metal would be better to get into than Black Metal if you prefer the metal growling. Many Black Metal bands I have heard use fast vocals and swift music, but I might be a bit biased, as I'm not that much of a fan of Black Metal.

Black's vocals provide more of a variety outside of the garden variety growls of Death Metal. I'm also biased against the lot of Death Metal for the same reasons, I find the Cookie Monster vocals unappealing in most cases, although when done correctly, it creates a wonderful song.

Ragnarofl

Binkan Binkan Binkan
Symphonic puts a good edge on metal, in my opinion. One of my favorites, Dark Tranquility, has great Symphonic Metal music.
I love Dark Tranquility, but I think the genre they're in is called 'melodic death' (see EToS, In Flames, Amorphis), not symphonic (see Therion, Kamelot, Emperor).

As for a couple of recommended black metal songs (from all it's subgenres),

Lux Occulta - The Birth Of The Race
Immortal - Where Dark and Light don't Differ
Satyricon - Mother North
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites
Limbonic Art - Pits of the Cold Beyond
Summoning - Like Some Snow-white Marble Eyes

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
I love Dark Tranquility, but I think the genre they're in is called 'melodic death' (see EToS, In Flames, Amorphis), not symphonic (see Therion, Kamelot, Emperor).

As for a couple of recommended black metal songs (from all it's subgenres),

Lux Occulta - The Birth Of The Race
Immortal - Where Dark and Light don't Differ
Satyricon - Mother North
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites
Summoning - Like Some Snow-white Marble Eyes

I've heard a few of those, and I'll check out some of the others. I really like the new aspect "melodic death" has on metal, so I'll definitely try to find more bands that use that branch of metal.

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
Ragnarofl said:

Limbonic Art really isn't Black in my eyes. They're far too symphonic to be considered to even be "metal", but that's just me.

.TraX.

Bad and Nationwide
So, what are your favorite metal branches?

I'll pretty much listen to any as long as it appeals me, but I usually prefer Heavy, Progressive, Symphonic and Black.

I share the "any as long as it appeals to me" aspect.

I tend to listen to more Heavy, Thrash and Death though.

With regard to nu metal.. Helmet have a lot to answer for, even if they're ****ing brilliant their style spawned that irritating metal by numbers sound.

Edit: The only time trivium were good was as a speed metal band - i.e. before they decided to try and copy Metallica.

Last edited:

stardust

I'm Mega Man!!!
I like metal. Not a fan of Black and Death Metal though. I like power metal. Like Manowar and Dragon Force to name some popular ones.

Dimbat

Arr...
chimaira, devil driver, trivium. Check em out ;)

No, all nu-metal/metalcore - not metal :(. Trivium are definitely not thrash metal.

Alestorm are indeed awesome, though!

When I come back from a mighty quest I have no need for sleep or rest
I head to a tavern for a drink and get so drunk I cannot think
A wench by my side and a jug of mead, these are the things that I most need
So I sit back and sing this song and drink and party all night long!
Hey! Hey! I want more wenches! Hey! Hey! More wenches and mead!
Hey! Hey! I want more wenches! Lots of wenches is what I need!

As for recommending black metal.. Although Dimmu Borgir aren't really black metal, and aren't actually that good - it's where I started off. I'd recommend
Emperor as a good starting point for black metal if you like the symphonic elements.

On a side-note, Kiuas anyone? Not quite sure what you'd class them as..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFM9UN7npM

DragonDance

thrasher
for a great thrash metal band, check out Trivium.

Trivium - Dying in your arms
Trivium - Like light to the flies
Trivium - Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr

those are just a few songs, I encourage you to check em out if youre looking for a thrash metal band.

I officially hate you.

Trivium is a metalcore piece of shit, and should not be used in the same sentence as 'thrash metal' unless the word 'not' is beside it.

1) Trivium is thrash metal = incorrect
2) Trivium are not thrash metal, and suck imaginary £ar$ Ulrich's balls = correct.

some random mallcore kiddie who thinks he's a metalhead said:
I'm a metalhead. But more of the Hellyeah, Godsmack, and Metallica kind. Not the Slipknot kind.
nononononononono.

Godsmack = nu-'metal' ***gotry.

Hellyeah = epic failure

slipknot said:
And I don't really get the hype behind Black Metal, seeing as I have yet to hear a Black Metal song I can really get into. Anyone care to name one?
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter album. Very thrashy piece of black metal.

Burzum - Feeble Screams From Forests Within is pretty good.

1349 - Sculptor of Flesh is gdgd

Emperor - Into the Infinity of Thought is my favourite bm song, though. heavy as ****, with beautiful synths laced in.

dimmu borgir are stupid wank-offs of emperor, and should never be listened too.

THIS POST HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY:

AMP Energy Drink

SEEING AS I'M ALL JACKED UP ON IT

Last edited:

zack_l_astro

I officially hate you.

Trivium is a metalcore piece of shit, and should not be used in the same sentence as 'thrash metal' unless the word 'not' is beside it.

1) Trivium is thrash metal = incorrect
2) Trivium are not thrash metal, and suck imaginary £ar$ Ulrich's balls = correct.

nononononononono.

Godsmack = nu-'metal' ***gotry.

Hellyeah = epic failure

Immortal - At the Heart of Winter album. Very thrashy piece of black metal.

Burzum - Feeble Screams From Forests Within is pretty good.

Emperor - Into the Infinity of Thought is my favourite bm song, though. heavy as ****, with beautiful synths laced in.

dimmu borgir are stupid wank-offs of emperor, and should never be listened too.

THIS POST HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY:

AMP Energy Drink

SEEING AS I'M ALL JACKED UP ON IT

relax.. talking about over reacting....

Brettt

satirist
I'm a metalhead. But more of the Hellyeah, Godsmack, and Metallica kind. Not the Slipknot kind.

None of those bands you mentioned, INCLUDING SLIPKNOT, are metal.

Any heard of Norma Jean? A little soft for my taste, but still really good.

Hmm, I noticed Imperial Dragon mentioned Arch Enemy, sure they're good, but the girl scares the living hell outta me.

DragonDance

thrasher
relax.. talking about over reacting....

You're the one who called a non-thrash band thrash.

None of those bands you mentioned, INCLUDING SLIPKNOT, are metal.
Old Metallica is metal. Let me guess. You're the one who will say that Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and the entire power metal genre isn't metal?

Any heard of Norma Jean? A little soft for my taste, but still really good.
I wasn't aware that screamo was metal.

Ragnarofl

Binkan Binkan Binkan
Limbonic Art really isn't Black in my eyes. They're far too symphonic to be considered to even be "metal", but that's just me.
I see why you'd say this, but I just think that this song (and the album it's in) is a good sample of symphonic black.

Last edited:

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
DragonDance said:

I haven't heard that track in ages. Aren't they a BM supergroup?

Ragnarofl said:
I see why you'd say this, but I just think that this song (and the album it's in) is a good sample of symphonic black.

Ah, that's just where our opinions differ. I've just gotten to the point of where I consider Black Metal's style in the likes of Dead-Era Mayhem and the bands surrounding it. The Symphonic movement is getting way too far out from it's BM roots.