• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

i was trying to avoid stuff with harsh vocals for someone that only knows Dream Theater but there goes that i guess.

also i'm just discovering Holocaust and can anyone in this thread tell me if stuff post No Man's Land is any good? i'm kind of rediscovering a lot of traditional bands after more or less skipping it when getting into metal and The Nightcomer's is one of the best heavy metal albums i've ever heard, seriously. recommendations for Warfare post debut would be nice too, otherwise i'll just go chronologically.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
Also, has anyone got some good Prog Metal bands apart from Dream Theater (who, from I understand, are Prog Metal in some bits) I could start listening to?
dion you forgot karnivool [img139]http://i.imgur.com/xx4cf.gif[/img139]

speaking of i am seeing them tonight with sleepmakeswaves. my friend pulled out (LOL WRONG DATE SORRY XDXDXD, dickhead) so i may be going alone :(

also listen to porcupine tree

edit 2: holy fuck i forgot OSI
edit 3: OSI is the former keyboardist from dream theater and the guitarist from fate's warning with porcupine tree's drummer (dream theater's on first 2 albums) so it should be right up your alley
edit 4: more porcupine tree

Last edited:

Jerp

Lurker...
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I'm alone in this, but does anybody else just end up downloading one or two songs from one band to their ipod/phone, and not whole albums from bands? Well, I do, so I was wondering if any of you guys would be nice enough to recommend some songs for me based off a few I listen to a lot:

Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
Washington is Next - Megadeth
Monster - Skillet

Thanks!

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I'm alone in this, but does anybody else just end up downloading one or two songs from one band to their ipod/phone, and not whole albums from bands? Well, I do, so I was wondering if any of you guys would be nice enough to recommend some songs for me based off a few I listen to a lot:

Monster - Skillet

Thanks!

i can't make any recommendations but you are really missing out by not downloading whole albums. try listening to an entire album instead of the same song 10 times, you never know what you might find

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Dion and Evan got the prog metal list basically figured out. I'd say throw in a few Threshold tracks. They sound kinda like a few of the more known bands, really... but I still think they have a few good songs.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion

Monster - Skillet

Thanks!

Have you heard of the more well-known Iron Maiden stuff? E.G:

Aces High
Number of the Beast

Well there's tons more by them.

As for the other two...barely know them. Megadeth...I only know about them from Dave Mustaine when he was kicked out of Metallica and such.

I'm gonna admit that I am like you with some bands, anyways.

Going to go listen to the rest of the stuff that was suggested.

EDIT: OSI was pretty damn good, I had heard Mastodon before and liked it. Porcupine Tree is quite good as well. Tool was OK...

Also found Arc of the Aurora...it sounds pretty damn good, here's Emergence, one of their albums:

Emergence

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
i imagine most Dream Theater fans should be able to get down with some early traditional/doom albums, so look these up too:
Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
Pagan Altar - Volume 1
Trouble - Psalm 9
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Pentagram - Relentless
Far be it from me to put of people listening to these bands, but what's your rationale? To me that brand of early doom is the antithesis of DT's overtly technical metal.

Also, has anyone got some good Prog Metal bands apart from Dream Theater (who, from I understand, are Prog Metal in some bits) I could start listening to?
[video=youtube;x0f_N6nTpmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0f_N6nTpmA[/video]
Kalisia, I used to adore this album. I haven't listened to it for years. But I think anyone into their prog metal will love it.

well Pentagram was kind of a wild card in retrospect but i think the fact that albums like King of the Dead and Psalm 9 were some of the earliest metal albums i could describe as "epic" makes them kind of a necessity for DT fans, since i imagine that a lot of early prog metal bands took some level of influence from that. i mean, i wouldn't include stuff like Witchfinder General which is more overtly bluesy and such, but still. and then i don't think i need to explain the traditional stuff. now that i think about it, i probably should have thrown in a Manilla Road album too.

also on a completely different topic, the Japanese Sabbat kicks ass. raw, completely over the top black/thrash.

[video=youtube;eG3O9t-W-R4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG3O9t-W-R4&feature=related[/video]

UK one is cool too.

oh and i am an albums person as well, and i really don't understand why anyone wouldn't be...

skwid79

Metalhead Brony
Of course,
Cannibal Corpse
Sepultura
Megadeth
DRI
Suicidal tendencies
Jesus F---ing Christ
SOD
Death
Obituary
Morbid Angel
Abnormality
Dethklok
Metallica
Slayer
Deicide
control denied
Skitarg
Many more I dont recall.

Of course,
Cannibal Corpse
Sepultura
Megadeth
DRI
Suicidal tendencies
Jesus F---ing Christ
SOD
Death
Obituary
Morbid Angel
Abnormality
Dethklok
Metallica
Slayer
Deicide
control denied
Skitarg
Many more I dont recall.
not a bad list.

what punk do you like (since you call yourself one from your usertitle)? sans crossover you already have in your list like DRI and Suicidal Tendencies.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
well Pentagram was kind of a wild card in retrospect but i think the fact that albums like King of the Dead and Psalm 9 were some of the earliest metal albums i could describe as "epic" makes them kind of a necessity for DT fans, since i imagine that a lot of early prog metal bands took some level of influence from that. i mean, i wouldn't include stuff like Witchfinder General which is more overtly bluesy and such, but still. and then i don't think i need to explain the traditional stuff. now that i think about it, i probably should have thrown in a Manilla Road album too.

also on a completely different topic, the Japanese Sabbat kicks ass. raw, completely over the top black/thrash.

UK one is cool too.

oh and i am an albums person as well, and i really don't understand why anyone wouldn't be...
Fair enough, I see where your coming from.

As for Sabbat, I only had The Dwelling simply because there's a single hour long song, and I have a long song playlist, but looking now, it seems I got rid of it.
Here's the top end of the playlist for those interested.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w158/Neil_616/longsongs-1.jpg

I am however rather fond of the UK Sabbat. Even though I was too young to be into them first time round, I was in the right place at the right time when they reunited and reissued History and Dream Weaver and Played Bloodstock. I thought they were fantastic. But me and a mate bumped into Martin Walkyier at a small festival a couple of years ago, and my mate who's a massive thrash fan was asking if there where any more plans with Sabbat, and whilst he didn't flat out deny it, he didn't fill us with much confidence for ever seeing them live again.

skwid79

Metalhead Brony
not a bad list.

what punk do you like (since you call yourself one from your usertitle)? sans crossover you already have in your list like DRI and Suicidal Tendencies.

Well thats an even longer list.
Bad religion
Star F---ing Hipsters
NOFX
Leftover Crack
Choking Victim
The Distillers
Rancid
operation Ivy
Tsunami Bomb
Citizen Fish
Subumans