• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I never could get into Triptykon, nor CF or HH come to think of it. On paper Triptykon should be my bad, dark doomy sinister black metal inspired music or whatever you want to call it, but nope. Just leaves me cold, and not in the grim and frostbitten way either.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
honestly if you like metal and don't like hellhammer i find your taste seriously questionable

[video=youtube;FnWC4OoVQFI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnWC4OoVQFI[/video]

this is seriously some of the most cryptic, sinister sounding **** to this day. and those vocals are seriously ahead of their time, as is everything else of course. if you like any really gloomy/evil black or death metal then i don't understand how hellhammer doesn't click for you, it seriously just doesn't make sense that that's possible.

that said one of my first albums was Morbid Tales so maybe i'm biased iunno

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Are the vocals ahead of their time? Or did we just leave them behind because they were so shoddy? Seriosly he was what 20/21 when TGW recorded them? He sounds like he just hit puberty and his voice is still breaking and doing the occasional out of tune cracking that happens. It's so ploddy, and lacking in energy. I appreciate it's historic significance, and whilst being original affords them some leeway, just because they did it first doesn't mean they did it best.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
i'll leave most of it alone because i know you've been listening to metal for long enough that you're going to be set with your opinions about the classics, but
Are the vocals ahead of their time? Or did we just leave them behind because they were so shoddy?
no one left them behind. there are still bands that try to emulate the tortured screams that he did on those, and the "voice cracking" is because he's practically vomiting his lung out, it adds to the atmosphere imo.

i realized i namedropped corpsessed as my album of the year but didn't link it. if you're into finnish death metal at all then listen. finnish dm hasn't sounded this sincere since world without god imo.

[video=youtube;b_eWjXCBDVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_eWjXCBDVM[/video]

GhostlyMaiden

Old User: OtakuGamer
Anyone here a fan of Disturbed? (I think its metal, sounds like it to me).
[video=youtube;JFOcJKyRKxo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFOcJKyRKxo[/video]

Mister_SGG

honestly if you like metal and don't like hellhammer i find your taste seriously questionable

*video*

this is seriously some of the most cryptic, sinister sounding **** to this day. and those vocals are seriously ahead of their time, as is everything else of course. if you like any really gloomy/evil black or death metal then i don't understand how hellhammer doesn't click for you, it seriously just doesn't make sense that that's possible.

that said one of my first albums was Morbid Tales so maybe i'm biased iunno

Don't hate me but to be honest even though those riffs are pretty heavy the vocals do sound pretty bad. Like HH said they sound like his voice is cracking (I don't know if it's on purpose or what but it doesn't sound great to my ears IMO)

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
i'm going to sound really condescending saying this but honestly if you revisit it in a few years you may find your opinion has changed with the more metal you've listened to; context is slightly important when it comes to appreciating hellhammer

also i linked one of their least accessible tracks because it also showcases how unique they were- you'd probably be able to thrash to the riffs of Messiah or Maniac more than that

at risk of being pretentious the doom type hellhammer songs aren't meant to sound pleasurable, they're meant to sound like someone screaming while demons rip apart his intestines alien-chest-burst style. it doesn't click immediately for everyone or probably MOST people and i can respect that if it never clicks. i'm just saying that i don't really understand why people are in a genre that inherently puts death, horror, etc on a showcase then shun a band that i feel actually reflects these things more sincerely than some melodeath band adding pretty keyboards to "dark" riffs

i know i'm going off on a tangent and i probably sound like a douche who's like "lol what you listen to sux listen to my music" but it's more me just trying to understand other people's perspective when it comes to metal and failing- more my fault than anything probably.

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
i'll leave most of it alone because i know you've been listening to metal for long enough that you're going to be set with your opinions about the classics, but

no one left them behind. there are still bands that try to emulate the tortured screams that he did on those, and the "voice cracking" is because he's practically vomiting his lung out, it adds to the atmosphere imo.

I didn't think much of Swallowed. I think it's that bit too slow without having the atmosphere to carry it. It kind of made me feel uneasy, but not in the good challenging way, more in a 'I wish this music was better composed' kind of way. Still the vocals were a lot better than the Hellhammer track you linked, but I think it ties into what I mentioned about the pioneers not always perfecting it. They TGW may have started that vocal style, but others took it further and got it right.

I tried getting into Obliteration last year, but again I'm not sure what it was, but I just felt nothing listening to them. But agian with the vocals, there's more power, more of a feeling of control, definately improving on the forumula. This track isn't bad as it goes, definitely prefer it to the stuff I heard on last years album.

It's interesting how subjective things are. What you see as adding to atmosphere I see as amateurish and I feel like it actually takes me 'out of the zone' when listening and spoils the atmosphere somewhat.
It's not like I'm new to harsher styles of vocal either, you only have to listen to the Wodensthrone track at the top of the previous page. I'm still pretty young at 23, but I've been listening to harsh vocals for a good 10 years now, everything from the shrieks of Burzum to the guttural rumblings of Skepticism, and every dodgy slavic blackened folk metal band in between haha But I find it's about feel, power, emotion, atmosphere, melody, pitch, rhythm, and a certain unquantifiable appropriateness. And the Hellhammer vocals just didn't hold up for me. However much of an iconoclast that might make me :p

i realized i namedropped corpsessed as my album of the year but didn't link it. if you're into finnish death metal at all then listen. finnish dm hasn't sounded this sincere since world without god imo.

[video=youtube;b_eWjXCBDVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_eWjXCBDVM[/video]
My knowledge of the Finnish Scene is pretty lacking. Well Finnish death metal anyway (I've a list as long as my arm from other genres). It's pretty limited to Convulse, Demilich, and Winterwolf. Winterwolf are my favourite of the three, but are far more evocative of the Carnage/Dismember/Entombed school of Swedeath, than any sort of Finnish sound.

Quite digging the Corpsessed track, might have to track it down and give the album a go.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
My knowledge of the Finnish Scene is pretty lacking. Well Finnish death metal anyway (I've a list as long as my arm from other genres). It's pretty limited to Convulse, Demilich, and Winterwolf. Winterwolf are my favourite of the three, but are far more evocative of the Carnage/Dismember/Entombed school of Swedeath, than any sort of Finnish sound.

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Depravity - Silence of the Centuries
Purtenance - Member of Immortal Damnation
Adramelech - Pyschostasia
Abhorrence - Vulgar Necrolarty
Sentenced - Shadows of Past

eiger

Shiny Hunter
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Depravity - Silence of the Centuries
Purtenance - Member of Immortal Damnation
Adramelech - Pyschostasia
Abhorrence - Vulgar Necrolarty
Sentenced - Shadows of Past

Add
Demilich - Nesphite

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
I apologize for the Triptykon post, as it seemingly started a small argument amongst you. In the meantime, here have some cathedral feels:

[video=youtube;YkTMxRhQN5k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTMxRhQN5k[/video]

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Don't apologise, regret is weakness I enjoy a good debate.

Today I received just over six glorious hours of Steve Reich's music in the post. I know he's not metal, but when has that ever stopped us on this thread haha

[video=youtube;ZXJWO2FQ16c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJWO2FQ16c[/video]

Power Metal and Symphonic Metal. The rest is too hardcore for my poor heart.

Same here, although it's mostly down to personal preference. My favourites would probably be Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Within Temptation, Blind Guardian, Indica, Xandria and After Forever. I'm also a fan of Rise Against, although I'm not entirely certain that they're metal.

eiger

Shiny Hunter
Deathheads shoulkd check out Domains - Sinister Ceremonies.
One of my favorite albums of 2014 so far. Mixing old and new, with some black elements, topped of with an eerie atmosphere thanks to the synths.

[video=youtube;H67BI3W_4Ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H67BI3W_4Ws[/video]

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
God damn this ****ing year. Missed Amon Amarth, and Sodom, gonna have to miss Enforcer and probably Clutch too. I probably missed Ghost as well, iirc. The one year I have money for concerts, I can't go cause of the job, and suddenly everybody remembered us.

Mister_SGG

God damn this ****ing year. Missed Amon Amarth, and Sodom, gonna have to miss Enforcer and probably Clutch too. I probably missed Ghost as well, iirc. The one year I have money for concerts, I can't go cause of the job, and suddenly everybody remembered us.

Where are you? You make it sound like there's a one in a million chance of someone touring there.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
Deathheads shoulkd check out Domains - Sinister Ceremonies.
One of my favorite albums of 2014 so far. Mixing old and new, with some black elements, topped of with an eerie atmosphere thanks to the synths.

video
decent concept though sounds a bit directionless to my ear. not digging the guitar tone either. sounds a bit like Altars of Madness era MA with a bit of black metal mixed in. will watch for future stuff but dunno how interested i am in that album by itself.

clutch sucked when i saw them live, no energy. played their set mechanically then left. i'm not a fan of their music in the first place (i went because orange goblin was opening) but man did they blow. not worth it.

Speaking of concerts I'm off to see Melt-Banana tomorrow. It's my first gig proper so it's a little exciting I must say

melt banana as your first show LOL

they definitely conveyed their sound well when i saw them live a few years back, whole venue was static charged.

have fun