• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Joth

Back from the Dead
I thought I was the only one! I listen to just about everything, but I hate most Nu metal. It is just to boyband-ish.

Mister_SGG

I thought I was the only one! I listen to just about everything, but I hate most Nu metal. It is just to boyband-ish.

I've honestly never heard nu-metal described as "boyband-ish".

I've heard "sh*t" "awful" and "blood-curdling" but not that.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
Anyone up for some feels?

[video=youtube;YUwoVqw5XoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUwoVqw5XoI[/video]

Rezzo

Occasionally
I think I am finally starting to get the hang of listening to metal. I've been listening to a couple of Burzum's early albums for the last few days and really enjoying them, so the next step for me is to explore black metal a bit more and see what else I will like. I managed to get hold of some Ulver, Moonsorrow and Agalloch songs and I plan to listen to those. Any more black metal recommendations would be greatly appreciated

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
I think I am finally starting to get the hang of listening to metal. I've been listening to a couple of Burzum's early albums for the last few days and really enjoying them, so the next step for me is to explore black metal a bit more and see what else I will like. I managed to get hold of some Ulver, Moonsorrow and Agalloch songs and I plan to listen to those. Any more black metal recommendations would be greatly appreciated
If you're into Moonsorrow, go for some early Ensiferum and Primordial. Otherwise, I'm assuming if you're listening to Burzum you've already gone through Bathory, and if you haven't, then what the hell are you waiting for? Also I'm assuming you want from every branch of black metal instead of the basic stuff, so here's a list of what you can listen to:
Emperor
Behemoth
Darkthrone
Celtic Frost
Enthroned
Watain

As for albums I can't really say, most of their stuff I have listened to, and I really never stopped to consider what's essential. Oh and venom as well, even if they're not the same in sound. More as a history piece than anything else.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
If by any chance you want to try some Symphonic Black Metal, go for Carach Angren. Or if you want Black Metal that is "Progy" go for for Enslaved. If you're into something more depressive or atmospheric I'd recommend Coldworld and Xasthur. If you're into Bathory, I would say "Under the Sign of the Black Mark" is a must.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
i'm going to give you recommendations that are opposite of a lot of what's being listed (mitchman named a few good things but for the most part i strongly differ in taste from a lot of people posting so far)

bathory - first four
hellhammer - satanic rites
katharsis - kruzifixxion
inquisition - magnificent glorifcation of lucifer
beherit - drawing down the moon
archgoat - ***** of bethlehem
barathrum - dark metal
darkthrone - a blaze in the northern sky

there's a few more i want to put down but that'd probably be overhwelming

Mister_SGG

Tony Iommi has promised that Black Sabbath will keep touring. This is great news, still banking on another record though.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden

What is it that you like about those particular bands? All seem quite atmospheric and folky, and at times quite majestic. Is that something you'd be looking for in more black metal?

Rezzo

Occasionally
What is it that you like about those particular bands? All seem quite atmospheric and folky, and at times quite majestic. Is that something you'd be looking for in more black metal?

You're accurate enough with what I currently like, but I'm trying to do a sweep and see what else I like in black metal. For example I gave Ulver's Nattens Madrigal a listen last night and surprisingly enjoyed it, despite how much more extreme it is than any other metal I've ever taken a liking to.

I'm also gonna venture into folk metal when I get the chance. Feel free to recommend me similar artists and different ones to what I'm currently into regardless, although I'm a bit overwhelmed with choice for the time being, so I can't promise that I will get to it.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Well in terms of the stuff you currently like i can suggest

Wodensthrone - Loss
Walknut - Graveforests and their Shadows
Drudkh - Blood in our Wells
Ygg - Ygg
Finsterforst - Zum Tode Hin
Kroda - Schwarzpfad
Viter - Dzherelo
Temnozor - Folkstorm of the Azure Knights

That should keep you going for a while.

As for other stuff, there is symphonic stuff like Fanisk and Kataxu.

But for the rawer stuff you might be better looking at Jukielosers list further up.

edit: a few random recs

Ghast -May the Curse Bind
Forteresse - Metal Noir Quebecois
Branikald - Хладавзор

Last edited:

Mister_SGG

A question for some of the vets here:

I've heard a lot of praise for Mastodon and based off a couple tracks I've heard they sound pretty killer. I'm wondering which of their albums I should listen to first based on accessibility and quality, to get me really hooked and listening to the rest of their discography. Any help on this would be great, dear Rezzo (bless him) has inspired me to go beyond the realm of heavy metal and thrash metal to explore some more genres.

Rezzo

Occasionally
Leviathan is the closest they have to both accessible and quality. If that's still a tough listen, give The Hunter a go.

Speaking of Mastodon actually, they're touring the UK and their tickets have just gone online today. I wish I wasn't so poor

Mister_SGG

Leviathan is actually one I've been anxious to hear, just for the completely badass artwork. I'll try it out

Edit: Uh anyways in other metal news Judas Priest's new record is pretty sweet. Some songs sound like copies of their previous works but some tracks are really, really good IMO.

Last edited:

Mister_SGG

That riff at 1:37 in the video is fan-****ing-tastic. Solid song overall (minus that first scream at 2:08 even the vocals sound listenable for me)

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
I think I'm falling in love with Funeral Doom. Seems like a go to genre for that wordless weight on your shoulders you can't explain.