• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
Nice. It's a cracking genre. But one that I find you don't need an awful lot to be satisfied. What bands are you liking, and have you checked out the new Ea album from this year?

Not yet. For now it's not like entire albums, I'm just checking a few songs one by one, hopefully I'll develop a full affinity in time. It's like, I click on a related video on youtube and "pop! another awesome song." One entire album I can name is Clouds' "Doliu", it hits real hard on your heart, well it did on mine, I dare say it's probably the best album yet this year.

The songs I've been checking out are Mournful Congregation's "The June Frost", Remembrance of the Transcending Moon", Ahab's "Redemption Lost", Anlipnes "Coffin" and Dream After Death's "Genesis".

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
To be fair the new Ea album is just one song, albeit a single 49 minute song :p

You should really check out some stuff from Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet, and Shape of Despair's Shades Of...

As for clouds I'd not come across them before, but I'll give them a go as they look interesting.

Probably most bands I will list are already listed elsewhere in this thread, it's over 300 pages, so I was too lazy to look at all replies, lol! Anywho lets begin......
Cradle Of Filth, Tiamat, Septic Flesh, Iced Earth, Overkill, Rotting Christ, Deicide, Slayer, AC/DC, KISS (not metal, but influenced a lot of metalheads and are one of my all time favorite bands to this day), Helloween, Anorexia Nervosa, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies, Megadeth, Metallica (old school), Amon Amarth, Bathory, dudes and dudetts, I could go on, but alas, I have little time at the moment, but yeah, even though I do occasionally listen to the likes of Tori Amos, Johnny Cash, and The Beatles, I consider my self a total metalhead!

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
Weird question: have you ever spontaneously imagined scenarios to metal songs? I just listened to Shape of Despair's Curse Life and the intro...wow, I just imagined myself amidst trees and gazing on to the landscape in front of me while taking deep, calm breaths. It was surreal.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
first round of bands announced for MDF next year:

Aeternus (Norway) *
Arcturus (Norway) *
Aura Noir (Norway) *
Bulldozer (Italy) *
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult (Germany)
Demoncy
Dragged into Sunlight (UK)
D.R.I.
Einherjer (Norway) *
Funebrarum
Goatsnake
Impetuous Ritual (Australia) *
Lock Up *
Lycanthrophy (Czech Republic)
Master
Melt-Banana (Japan)
Metal Church
Noisear
Neurosis
Portal (Australia) *
Serpentine Path
Skepticism (Finland) *
Splatterhouse
Suffering Mind (Poland)
Triptykon (Switzerland) *
Tsjuder (Norway) *
Twilight of the Gods *
Ufomammut (Italy)
Vallenfyre (UK) *
Vulcano (Brazil) *
Winter
Wolfbrigade (Sweden) *

unless i win the lottery or some **** i won't be able to make it, but figured i'd post it here. quite a few cool bands on the roster (winter, aura noir, bulldozer, melt banana (!?), skepticism, wolfbrigade, etc). though the punk representation seems to be getting smaller and smaller each year. :/

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Ha MetalHeads I used to be one then just one decided i didn't like it :L don't know why though?

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
new opeth album is pretty bland after first listen

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I still haven't heard it yet, but then again, it IS a leak.

I feel like they've kind of been reaching a state of being comfortably boring/bland. Not really bad, but no longer anything to really write home about -- at least since Watershed.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Sorry for being off topic, but Anathema at the end of August, got the tickets today! First concert of the year, finally got a break from reality. Oh and that Ulvegr track, holy ****. That build up to the vocals, such a clean entrance.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
i'm seeing anathema in august too. fortunately distant satellites grew on me a bit

Zantera

Opeth hasn't made a truly great album since Ghost Reveries. It's a shame, and while I did enjoy Watershed and Heritage (both were kinda good but not great), I have a feeling I will enjoy the new one, but I don't see it even reaching my top30 albums of 2014 at the end of the year.

Opeth are following a very dull trend that has devoured artists like Steven Wilson and Pain of Salvation, bands and artists who used to make really special music, but caught up with the 70s prog music and decided that they would rather blatantly rip off other artists from the 70s than to do their own unique trend. It's a fine line between paying homage to someone (like Porcupine Tree used to do with nods to Pink Floyd on earlier albums), and forming a King Crimson cover-band (what Steven Wilson has done).

With the case of Opeth, Mikael's influences are pretty obscure, and I don't think the majority of Opeth fans know bands like Goblin or Camel, but it's still pretty clear where he is drawing his ideas from. To clarify, I'm not one of those "they need to bring back the growls"-fans. I think Opeth could make a really good album that doesn't follow their traditional sound, but at least have some original and exciting songwriting, instead of a watered down 70s prog rock album that wouldn't have been any good in the 70s, let alone today.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Did anyone see the news of "Unlocking the Truth getting a contract from Sony for 1 albums? On one hand, I'm glad that a bunch of 8th graders are getting a chance to spread their music to the world(especially a bunch of Brooklyn 8th graders that are in a largely rap/thug life environment), but on the other, I feel the pop tweenybopper culture of having child star musicians seeping into the metal world, and I can't help but feel confusion and mistrust of the megacorp studios.