• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
Hmm, I noticed Imperial Dragon mentioned Arch Enemy, sure they're good, but the girl scares the living hell outta me.

Arch Enemy were equally as good with their first few albums back when they had a male vocalist, and although the girl might appear a bit... feisty to say the least, I'm sure she'd shag the life out of whoever she's with :p lol as far as women in metal go, I'd rather have Lacuna Coil's Christina Scabbia thanks haha

HK

Radiance of Shadows
And to whoever mentioned Cynic - nice choice mate. I hear they're apparently recording a new album, after a break of what, 15 years?

Yep. Theirs and Opeth's upcoming albums are the only ones I'm looking forward to for metal scene 2008 (unless I've been ignorant of some other awesomely ambitious releases).

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
Ah nice one :) I can't wait for Cynic's new release, I'm curious to find out if they've kept their early 90's jazzy death metal style, since I suppose that signature sound did sort of die along with Chuck Schuldiner after his last album with Control Denied, so it would be refreshing to see that jazzy death style still being used today.

As for 2008 releases... Cynic obviously, but I'm most looking forward to The Haunted's new release, and considering they've never released a bad album I have high hopes for this album. Looking forward to In Flames's and Children of Bodom's new albums too, despite COB's single Blooddrunk being rather dissapointing in all honesty.

Evil_Lathander

Pokémon forever
Cynic... onlytime I ever heard that name was when Wacken had the wrong band on their list...

Cynic... not Cynic...

2 bands named Cynic :p

Brettt

satirist
You're the one who called a non-thrash band thrash.

Old Metallica is metal. Let me guess. You're the one who will say that Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and the entire power metal genre isn't metal?

I wasn't aware that screamo was metal.

Norma Jean are just above the screamo line into actual metal, much harder music than shit like Alesana or something.

Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica aren't metal, however, I do like the band Iron Maiden.

And Arch Enemy's singer scares me, has anyone seen the video for "We Will Rise"? Holy crap.

Dimbat

Arr...
Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica aren't metal, however, I do like the band Iron Maiden.

Yes they are. There's absolutely no question about it.

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
Yes they are. There's absolutely no question about it.

Word. They gave birth to Metal, and while the latter (in my opinion) sold out, their first three albums are vital to Metal's history.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Arch Enemy were equally as good with their first few albums back when they had a male vocalist, and although the girl might appear a bit... feisty to say the least, I'm sure she'd shag the life out of whoever she's with :p lol as far as women in metal go, I'd rather have Lacuna Coil's Christina Scabbia thanks haha

Arch Enemy is great. Other than the tone, she's doing an impressive job of the metal growl, which you usually don't get from a woman vocalist.

Brettt

satirist
There is no doubt that they started what would eventually evolve into metal, but whether they are actually of the metal genre seems to be just an opinion. I personally believe them to be either hard rock, or at a stretch, softcore metal, Iron Maiden are very good, Metallica have some good stuff, though I don't consider them really that metally... Can't say I have ever listened to Black Sabbath for a prolonged amount of time, though they seem softer than metallica and Iron Miaden, so I decided to not even waste the effort.

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
There is no doubt that they started what would eventually evolve into metal, but whether they are actually of the metal genre seems to be just an opinion. I personally believe them to be either hard rock, or at a stretch, softcore metal, Iron Maiden are very good, Metallica have some good stuff, though I don't consider them really that metally... Can't say I have ever listened to Black Sabbath for a prolonged amount of time, though they seem softer than metallica and Iron Miaden, so I decided to not even waste the effort.

Understandable. Metallica's gone too far out from their "Kill 'em All" days, sounding more hard rock than Thrash. As for as 'Maiden goes, I've always considered them Metal, "The Trooper" in particular is the quintessential 80s Metal song. I have a love/hate relationship with Dickenson's vocals, but you have to take it in stride - sometimes he just sounds cheesy.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming

From what I've played on Guitar Hero, Black Sabbath is significantly lighter than both Metallica and Iron Maiden. Metallica was more metal near their beginning than they are now. 'Maiden is more hard rock-ish, but if you enjoy them and Metallica, you might want to listen to Slayer, which is certainly good metal if you are into that sort of style.

Dimbat

Arr...
Don't get heaviness/aggressiveness confused with metal-ness. There are plenty of light, but still incredibly metal bands Sabbath being one, and these guys being another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDsY0_rPNc.

Iron Maiden are not "hard rock", they are definitely metal. NWOBHM to be more precise. The only possible argument in Metallica's metal-ness is their later stuff, which most metal fans would say isn't metal, but since I've not listened to their more recent albums I can't really comment.

As for Arch Enemy, a decent band, impressed me live.. however I prefer the singer from Arkona for her growling and clean vocal abilities, plus they're more folky ^^. (http://www.myspace.com/arkonarussia Check out Zalozniy)

Brettt

satirist
Don't get heaviness/aggressiveness confused with metal-ness. There are plenty of light, but still incredibly metal bands Sabbath being one, and these guys being another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDsY0_rPNc.

Iron Maiden are not "hard rock", they are definitely metal. NWOBHM to be more precise. The only possible argument in Metallica's metal-ness is their later stuff, which most metal fans would say isn't metal, but since I've not listened to their more recent albums I can't really comment.

As for Arch Enemy, a decent band, impressed me live.. however I prefer the singer from Arkona for her growling and clean vocal abilities, plus they're more folky ^^. (http://www.myspace.com/arkonarussia Check out Zalozniy)

@ your first comment: I'm not saying its bad, but they are defintely not METAL. But what do any of us know? No one can really give an accurate definition of metal, personally, that Sonata Arctica band you showed aren't too bad, but they sound like dragonforce, and that completely kicks them straight out of the metal spectrum, IMO. What is and isn't metal is purely a matter opinion.

@ second comment: How old is King Nothing? I can't really tell how new that song is. Their early stuff like One is absolutely great, and I actually do consider stuff like that Metal.

@ third comment: Go Arch Enemy. They're ****ing crazy.

Dimbat

Arr...
I'm not saying its bad, but they are defintely not METAL. But what do any of us know? No one can really give an accurate definition of metal, personally, that Sonata Arctica band you showed aren't too bad, but they sound like dragonforce, and that completely kicks them straight out of the metal spectrum, IMO. What is and isn't metal is purely a matter opinion.

@ second comment: How old is King Nothing? I can't really tell how new that song is. Their early stuff like One is absolutely great, and I actually do consider stuff like that Metal.

1st - Dude, Sabbath definitely ARE metal! Regardless of how good they are (personally I'm not that big on them), Sabbath were the ones who defined metal. As for a 100% accurate definition of metal? Sure, nobody can provide that. But all half-decent attempts would at least include traditional bands like Sabbath and Motorhead, as well as Power Metal like Sonata Arctica. The most gray area would be metalcore/nu-metal thing (personally I consider them one and the same and both not metal).

I think you've got a distorted view of metal to some extent.. try reading up on metal history and power metal.. since Sonata Arctica are most definitely metal. Check out some key bands in the formation of power metal such as Manowar, Helloween and Blind Guardian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Hvov2GxeM <-- there's a good place to start.

As for that Metallica song, I've no idea. It's not on any of the 3 albums that I've got though (Master of Puppets, the black album and Ride the Lightning).

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Quoting this based on the sheer stupidity of the poster.

Metal is not based entirely on heavyness.

Thank you. I didn't want to have to do it, because, you know, not everyone likes seeing six bazillion asterisks in one post.

That said, Sabbath is clearly metal, and they pretty much INVENTED the ****ing genre. Iron Maiden and Metallica helped to shape the genre into its current form.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Thank you. I didn't want to have to do it, because, you know, not everyone likes seeing six bazillion asterisks in one post.

That said, Sabbath is clearly metal, and they pretty much INVENTED the ****ing genre. Iron Maiden and Metallica helped to shape the genre into its current form.

Metal is not "one form"; it has many branches of forms. 'Maiden and Metallica helped to shape some other forms, more so in the bands' earlier stages. However, different bands pioneered and shaped other branches of metal.

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
DragonDance said:
Maiden and Metallica didn't even pioneer anything, to be honest. Judas Priest and Overkill did, respectively.

Since when was leather chaps a Metal fad in modern Metal? It's usually chalked up to top hats and capes these days..

To be honest, most of the originals influenced the genre in some way. Iron Maiden's over-the-top nature from the lyrics with material that was very taboo at the time ("The Number of the Beast" album in particular, and it's not just limited to the title song), all the way down to a rocker-turned-zombie mascot helped form the nature of Metal.

The sad thing is that very few bands, in my opinion, have influenced the genre in recent years. Yeah, there's been new movements, but it's beating the same dead horse by changing the setup just a bit and calling it "new". Forget Melodic Death, I want my Skinless and Macabre to make my ears bleed.

Just my two cents. I'm not saying any particular band or genre is bad because it's all on personal taste, but it's kind of sad at what Metal has become in the recent years. Yeah, there's always underground acts keeping things together, but Nu-Metal's been raping the genre since KoRn hit the airwaves and Cradle of Filth has appeared on "Viva La Bam"..