• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

DragonDance

thrasher

*Bashamo*

Hates his username.
Black metal... that you can dance to! D:
Finntroll + beer + insanity = ownage ^^

My list

Agalloch, Alestorm, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Apocalyptica, Battlelore, Behemoth, Belphegor, Blind Guardian, The Berzerker, Buckethead, Candlemass, Carpathian Forest, Children of Bodom, ChthoniC, Cradle of Filth, Cynic, Dark Funeral, Dimmu Borgir (first 3 albums), Dissection, Draconian, Dream Theater, Electric Wizard, Eluveitie, Emperor, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Exhumed, Grand Magus, Graveworm, Fall of the Idols, Finntroll, Immortal, Job For a Cowboy, Katatonia Korpiklaani/Shaman, Kreator, In Flames, Isis, Limbonic Art, Lord Vicar, Martriden, Metallica, Meshuggah, Moonsorrow, Moonspell, Mushroomhead, Napalm Death, Nightwish, Nokturnal Mortum, Norther, Opeth, Orphaned Land, Pig Destroyer, Rhapsody, Red Harvest, Reverend Bizarre, Sepultura, Septic Flesh, Shade Empire, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, System of a Down, TrollfesT, Turmion Katilot, Vital Remains, Wintersun.

Last edited:

Evil_Lathander

Pokémon forever
Anybody ever heard of this band called "Nanowar of Steel"?

Basically, what these guys do is take lyrics of well known metal songs, and turn them into something ridiculous, as to laugh at how serious all these metal bands take themselves.

songtitels like:

"Master of Pizza"(master of puppets by Metallica)
"Emerald Fork" (Emerald Sword by Rhapsody, now called Rhapsody of Fire)
"The Power of The Power of The Power(of The Sword)" (something by Manowar)
"Our Metal Is So Strong, Caus Our Dick Is So Long"(random stuff)

*Bashamo*

Hates his username.
Anybody ever heard of this band called "Nanowar of Steel"?

Basically, what these guys do is take lyrics of well known metal songs, and turn them into something ridiculous, as to laugh at how serious all these metal bands take themselves.

songtitels like:

"Master of Pizza"(master of puppets by Metallica)
"Emerald Fork" (Emerald Sword by Rhapsody, now called Rhapsody of Fire)
"The Power of The Power of The Power(of The Sword)" (something by Manowar)
"Our Metal Is So Strong, Caus Our Dick Is So Long"(random stuff)

I am intrigued =o

I read a fair few posts, of which reside in this thread, and judging by the lack of intelligence and overall taste, I don't really see the point in doing what I was going to do initially; and make a detailed post elaborating on what types of metal I like specifically, with many examples.
Though this is Serebii, and people here have terrible tastes in music as it is (minusing a few characters, though not enough to compensate for the majority), and it so seems that the tastes people have in metal is to a similar degree of crap.

I can see that Pink_Floyd and DragonDance (being a friend of mine who I've shared vast amounts of my music preferences with) seem to be the only ones with their heads screwed on. Well, to a degree that is, as I know a favourite of DragonDance's is Thrash, which I find philtred and mindless - what I dislike most about the whole metal scene.

I suppose it'd only polite to expand on what kinds of metal I enjoy, as then those of you who care about this pretty awful thread can judge me in the ways in which I know you will:

My favourite collection of metal artists and bands reside around the spawn that the members of Isis have shat out over the years. I couldn't care for Isis in themselves, as they bore me stupid, and their music is summed up by their fans perfectly, but I cannot disregard the fact that some of the members have really moved on to some amazing projects.
Old Man Gloom (In Full: The Old Man Gloom Alien Simian Defence League) are my all time favourite of said bands. Originally created by Aaron Turner who was originally in Isis. The band also has heaps of influences from the bands their other members have "served" in, like Nate Newton who provides vocals and works guitars for Old Man Gloom, who pulls on influences from the band he comes from; Converge. Converge being another band that I do rather enjoy in the Hardcore/Metalcore scene.
Another member of Old Man Gloom is Caleb Scofield, who was originally in the long term running band Cave In. The earlier styles of Cave In were similar to that of Converge and The Dillinger Escape Plan (of who I'm not quite so fond); very brutal & extreme metal with a hardcore mix, otherwise known as "metalcore". Though they started off very heavy, they progressed into much softer, more ambient based music - which they describe as being "Space Rock" due to how "spacey" it sounds, which was much more appealing to the masses, and because of this, their later albums are those that are better known and much more successful. Though because of my personal preference, I much prefer their earlier work, as it was raw and what I love about metal. In Old Man Gloom you can feel the influences Cave In's progression and change into softer music throughout their releases, as certain tracks do have a more somber tone making a change from the heavier ones.
Over the years Jay Randall of Agoraphobic Nosebleed has helped mix their records, adding influence there as well.

So that can kind of depict what sort of music I like, as many of the bands similar to Old Man Gloom are amongst my list of favourites. This includes; Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Zozobra, Battle of Mice, Made Out of Babies, Kayo Dot, Doomriders, Keelhaul, Baroness, Kylesa, Kwoon, Boris (and all the artists they have worked with in different projects), Crowbar, earier Cave In, and so forth.
I'm also big on a lot of Technical Death Metal groups, a fair few Melodic Death Metal acts, Metalcore, Doom Metal, Progressive Metal (but not the bands typically associated with "Progressive Metal" like Dream Theater and bands that just masturbate their instruments for hours on end, but more on the technical side of things like Meshuggah, Textures, Edge of Sanity, etc) and a lot of Black Metal.
The Black Metal I prefer is not to that which people have been mentioning throughout this thread, which is much more user friendly "appeal-to-the-masses" rubbish, but bands that play much more experimental Black Metal, with far a far more depressive or somber tone. Usually far more raw, and far better. Wolves in the Throne Room, Lurker of Chalice, Amesoeurs, and Limbonic Art being fine examples. In their music they experiment so much with other styles, you can even hear elements of Shoegaze!

I also have a soft spot for "lolworthy" Power Metal bands as well, like Sonata Arctica, but who amongst us can say that their stylings aren't addictive and appealing at times, eh?

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I'm also big on a lot of Technical Death Metal groups, a fair few Melodic Death Metal acts, Metalcore, Doom Metal, Progressive Metal (but not the bands typically associated with "Progressive Metal" like Dream Theater and bands that just masturbate their instruments for hours on end, but more on the technical side of things like Meshuggah, Textures, Edge of Sanity, etc) and a lot of Black Metal.

Probably a good thing, lulz. I listen to Dream Theater, because, well... I'm a fruit. Really, Dream Theater are Rush wannabes with Yes-wannabe keyboards and more just... loudness. I'm not a huge fan of John Petrucci, either; I've said before, at other places, that Dream Theater's songs would be much better off being played by other people. The only other band I listen to which is really prog-metal is Tool, though I think that RED-era King Crimson should count. Most of my metal is in the area of 'old school' metal like Sabbath et al., though I do also listen to Iron Maiden and a few other metal or near-metal bands, e.g. Monster Magnet.

Speaking of Maiden, I've finally gotten a chance to expand my collection a little and picked up a copy of Powerslave yesterday; is it just me, or is this, you know... their best album?

mielad2

Ohnoez!! OMG HELP!!!
I'm more into rock although I do listen Blink 182 and Billy talent.( probably more but can't remember. I do listen Greenday, Three Days Grace, Blink 182. TDG most of them all.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
rock, hardrock, metal, deathmetal, i really can't live without it, i listen it every day of the entire week whenever i get the chanse.

DragonDance

thrasher
Disturbed_2005.jpg

Y halo thar guise, I have a strange chin piercing, listen to my music.

And so I did.
As cool as what Disturbed is, I can't really consider them metal.

Good band, though.

I'm more into rock although I do listen Blink 182 and Billy talent.( probably more but can't remember. I do listen Greenday, Three Days Grace, Blink 182. TDG most of them all.
die.

none of those bands you listed are even CLOSE to being metal.

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
magnemiteZ said:
The Black Metal I prefer is not to that which people have been mentioning throughout this thread, which is much more user friendly "appeal-to-the-masses" rubbish, but bands that play much more experimental Black Metal, with far a far more depressive or somber tone. Usually far more raw, and far better. Wolves in the Throne Room, Lurker of Chalice, Amesoeurs, and Limbonic Art being fine examples. In their music they experiment so much with other styles, you can even hear elements of Shoegaze!

Check out "Nockturnal Mortum" and "Sear Bliss". I openly admit I know nothing about either of these bands, but from the tracks that I've heard it seems that they're right up your alley. Both are very unique in their own right, although neither are what I like in my Black Metal. I respect bands for pushing the boundaries on what Black Metal can be, but it just seems like a lot of them are crossing the line into dark ambient and abandoning their metal roots entirely.

Tempus Fugit said:
Speaking of Maiden, I've finally gotten a chance to expand my collection a little and picked up a copy of Powerslave yesterday; is it just me, or is this, you know... their best album?

"Number of the Beast" and "Piece of Mind" are also great, although it's difficult to pick a "best" out of the three. When you get the chance, get the former of the two, you won't be disappointed. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is an amazing piece of lyrical exposition and is one of the few songs that both inspired me and moved me at the same time.

For those confused on what Black Metal is, let Abbath explain it to you. That cat just seems fun to party with.

Last edited:

muumajii23

Nightwish is an amazing band. Last year, they released a bunch of great songs like Amaranth and Lips are still Red. OMG both are amazing songs.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
"Number of the Beast" and "Piece of Mind" are also great, although it's difficult to pick a "best" out of the three. When you get the chance, get the former of the two, you won't be disappointed. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is an amazing piece of lyrical exposition and is one of the few songs that both inspired me and moved me at the same time.

I have "Number of the Beast" already. Translation: my dad has a copy, and he's not getting it back for a long ****ing time. I'll pick up a copy of "Piece of Mind" as soon as I can. Thanks.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
The only other band I listen to which is really prog-metal is Tool, though I think that RED-era King Crimson should count.

Uh, I don't think one can ever count King Crimson as metal?

Some of the bands I listed a couple or so pages back are worthwhile prog-rock bands that aren't sheer wankery like Dream Theater. (And to be fair to DT, when they actually put some thought into composition, like in Scenes from a Memory, much of Images and Words, and A Change of Seasons -- forget the masturbatory cover songs -- they manage to craft some great music.)

I do have to admit magnemiteZ's elitist overtones amuse me, though some of the bands he list are pretty damn good.

Oh, and Isis are just Neurosis rip-offs, and Kayo Dot isn't much compared to when they were maudlin of the Well.