• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Valkyrie X

*poofs back in randomly*

lol @ the dead horse nu metal debates. I won't even bother.

Anyway, I've been looking into doom lately...more specifically, Candlemass and While Heaven Wept. Absolutely love what I'm hearing so far. Can anyone give me some recommendations on more catchy, emotional doom bands/albums? I'm a noob to the genre, so I'm not looking for anything too gloomy or boring. I'd prefer something that's a little easier to catch on to right now, if that makes sense.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Anyway, I've been looking into doom lately...more specifically, Candlemass and While Heaven Wept. Absolutely love what I'm hearing so far. Can anyone give me some recommendations on more catchy, emotional doom bands/albums? I'm a noob to the genre, so I'm not looking for anything too gloomy or boring. I'd prefer something that's a little easier to catch on to right now, if that makes sense.

Graveyard - Graveyard
St. Vitus - Born Too Late
Pentagram - Relentless
Trouble - Psalm 9

Not much of a fan of Born Too Late myself, but it's generally considered to be peers with the others in the list (although Graveyard's debut is only from 2008, so it's pretty new compared to the others). Trouble's Psalm 9 is probably the heaviest and most straightforward "doomiest" of these, while Relentless is more along the lines of Paranoid.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip

Katatonia: Night Is the New Day, Viva emptiness, Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Nu Metal, seriously? Come on man, at least try finding something good, and don't say cause you're from the generation, you should just listen to it. If it was like that for me, I would be listening to whatever pop and dance crap there is out there, just so I can be the good little sheep I am.
nostalgia plays a part in it. I still listen to music from my teen years every now and again. Im quite partial to Papa Roach, and going back further, Steps, Robbie Williams and Top Loader.
But thats beside the point, whats it to you what someone else listens to? Im all for defending tastes, but attacking tastes just isn't necessary.

*poofs back in randomly*

lol @ the dead horse nu metal debates. I won't even bother.

I'd say
Warning - Watching From a Distance
Pentagram - Day of Reckoning
Reverend Bizarre - Crush the Insects
Funeral - Tragedies
Lord Vicar - Fear No Pain

I agree about Born too late, everyone raves about it, but it was just average in my opinion.

natie

Mr. F
I'm just going to leave this here for you metalheads to comment on, it's an album made by a friend's band. The band is called Dawn of the Hero, the album's called Our Vagrant Throne.

http://i40.*******.com/2vryiaw.jpg

Download link to the album (no piracy, they put it up for free themselves)

Their MySpace

I really like what they've done and hope they continue it :D

Valkyrie X

That first track was pretty good, but I agree with Tim, it's not their best. I'm going to Maiden's first Final Frontier concert tomorrow... I know they'll be promoting the new album, but I'm really hoping they'll play some of their old stuff as well. =/

And thanks for the doom suggestions y'all. Fantastic stuff. :)

Details on the new Maiden album, and a free download from it

http://www.ironmaiden.com/thebigbang_2.html

Oh, hey, looks like it's going to be even MORE centered around gigantic songs than usual! The artwork is kinda meh, haven't heard the new song yet, but the single cover is just silly

edit: Props to the intro sounding like the first half of the intro on [Deep Purple's] "Speed King," and to the fact that it doesn't quite sound like normal Iron Maiden, but I'm hoping the rest of the album sounds better. Something about this is kinda... off.

Last edited:

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
The new cover isn't "classic" Eddie, but it's certainly closer to it than the cover of "A Matter of Life and Death."
Anyone else notice the re hashed Wasted Years intro/outro?

They've been using forms of that riff since at least "Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)," so I'm not really surprised. The two riffs right before the solo sections are pretty good, though. I like Bruce's vocals, but the lyrics seem a little weak to me.

Valkyrie X

Just got back from the concert, and I am just blown away. Dream Theater and Maiden were both incredible, nothing less. Maiden focused more heavily on their newer stuff, playing several tracks from Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death, but they did play a few classics like "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Fear of the Dark" and "The Number of the Beast". At the same time, there were many songs I would've loved to hear that were not played. Nothing from Powerslave was performed and I was hoping to hear "Dance of Death", especially since they played a couple tracks from that same album. It would've been nice if our seats were a bit closer, too, but everything was epic nonetheless. Eddie's arrival was thoroughly enjoyable as well. :p

So yeah I'm ridiculously exhausted now but it was so worth it :D

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Oh good, maiden never seem to disappoint live. (apart from the first half of the gig last time I saw them when they played a matter of life and death in its entirety :( )

What was Dream Theaters set list like?

Also for those interested, new Lantlôs album out soon.

Valkyrie X

Dream Theater did very well, though LaBrie's vocals were kind of hit or miss (his voice came out as an odd, pitchy squeal in some songs). Since they were only opening, they played several tracks many are familiar with. They kicked off with "As I Am" and then played "A Rite of Passage" from Black Clouds and Silver Linings. "Pull Me Under" and "Constant Motion" were in the mix as well. There was 1 other song I couldn't recognize since I don't avidly listen to Dream Theater, but it was definitely a solid performance.

Last edited:

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
It seems they played the singles then, which is a shame, as I found them to be the worst tracks on their respective albums.

Last time I saw them in manchester they where incredible, one of the best bands ive ever seen, but I think that was partially down to the setlist too. Especially the surprise of The Dance of eternity continuing into One Last time, and then going straight into The Spirit Carries on, I honestly had goosebumps.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
In non-metal news, I've found that Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn is a pleasant listen. It's my first Syd Barrett-era album and you can tell that they aren't as focused as they are during the prog-rock stage, but it's a solid album. I'd say it's more experimental than psychedelic, as you've got the band fooling around with all sorts of random noises and studio effects (evident throughout in "Interstellar Overdrive" and the section of "Bike" that feels like an early, unnecessary version of the "Time" clocks intro).

All in all, I'd say it's something worth listening to again. Especially "Lucifer Sam," "Matilda Mother," and "The Gnome."