• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I think people listen to Nu Metal either for the Nostalgic aspect, or because its like 'my first metal band' and people are using it to come across as if they are into metal, whilst at the same time playing it safe by listening to quite accessible bands.
Thats not really the description of a genre brimming with innovation, new ideas, and essentially not dying, as N D had suggested.

edit: I thought my previous post hadnt worked. so I sort of re did it.

Last edited:

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Talking bout nostalgia, love what Hansi said in an interview with my country's heavy metal hammer:
"If our fans are listening to us cause of our older works, and are expecting us to put the same stuff out for them, they can stop listening now. There's no point in going back."
****ing love him for recognizing this issue in the metal industry, and how its so simple to tell em what needs to be said. Respect has grown for this man from me, for this sole quote.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
The new drudkh album comes with a rather snazzy edition

SUA016B.jpg

I have to say, I'm tempted, but at just over £50, I don't know if I can justify it.

That, in my opinion is a tad bit overboard. I like drudkh and all, but I'm satisfied with the music.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
That, in my opinion is a tad bit overboard. I like drudkh and all, but I'm satisfied with the music.
IM inclined to agree somewhat.
I think the quill and ink are pointless, as no one in the right mind would use it.
The bonus disk is essentially a covers disk i could probably find for download.
The case is just a bit big really.
I could probably find the tshirt else where. and it would cost less than this.

Totally agree, Kamelot rulez.
Did someone mention Helloween?

Probaly given the size of the thread.

Another thing I'd like to bring to light is the increasing number of metal bands turning to "satan-worship" and other dark themes as their concept. I mean, seriously? Metal's about the music. Not the devil worship.

Well, that's sort of my point. They don't genuinely worship the devil, but they just hop on the bandwagon for that sort of theme.

1. Slayer
2. Arch Enemy
3. Cradle Of Filth
4. Angelcorpse

those are some big ones I can remember.. there are many more tho.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
lol
that is all

Slayer don't do the whole Satanist thing, its more an anti religion in general, amongst other things. Tom is a Roman Catholic.

Arch Enemy as far as I can see don't have anything to do with satanism. Unless you count and inverted pentagram in the logo as satanic.

Cradle of Filth dont either, they had the jesus is a **** tshirt, but they have said countless times it was an attempt to piss of the most people possible by calling a well known figure.

Ive never come across angelcorpse, so I can't say.

I see no harm in using it as symbology, its no difforent than any other occult or even pagan imegary using bands.

Im sure there are a few bands who use the Levay aspect of satanism, the sort of self presevation essentially as a sort of message.

But essentialy its all about the Imgeary. And at the end of the day, why not?

It misrepresents metal in the eyes of the general public. Metal is shown in media to be all "headbanging,flames,horns,satan" which of course is not true. People too think of metal as that.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Even with out that the public would perceive metal to be something its not.
Its called a stereotype.

If average joe public can't look beyond that then so be it, it annoying sometimes yes, but I do love correcting misconceptions.

But why not use immagery to your advantage, create an aura, or a sense of mystery.
I mean this album is great for it
moss-sub-templum.jpg

revolvingscott

I'm not a 'true' metalhead ie. I like metal but I listen to a lot of other genres, too.

To attempt to not sound cliché, my favourite metal band is Marilyn Manson. I'm not some depressed 15 year old emo, either. I'm normal; I'm happy. I just think that the band are fantastic. This is mainly due to the fact that my two favourite instruments are Bass Guitar and Drum. The band heavily use these (especially in the Triptych).

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
It misrepresents metal in the eyes of the general public. Metal is shown in media to be all "headbanging,flames,horns,satan" which of course is not true. People too think of metal as that.

People have been thinking that since the days when Elvis and Chuck Berry were beginning rock 'n' roll. People thought it when KISS and AC/DC got their big breaks in the '70s. People first heard Black Sabbath and thought it was "devil music" and even burned hundreds of copies of Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast because they judged it by its title. Hell, churches worldwide denounced the Beatles for John Lennon's comment, "The Beatles are more popular than Jesus!"

It's a fact of life that people judge other musical genres much too easily. I used to judge hip-hop by the mainstream hip-hop artists like Lil Wayne and I also used to think that all electronic music was just terrible, upbeat techno tracks. Slayer, as you mentioned, is who most people will think of to denounce metal (second only to the "all metal equals generic death metal/deathcore/screamo" argument).

Valkyrie X

In metal related news, Maiden's new album got to No.1 in the UK album charts.

Indeed... What do you think of it? I've given it a few listens... "Starblind", "Isle of Avalon" and "The Talisman" were rather enjoyable, but I absolutely LOVE "When the Wild Wind Blows" (it's been on repeat for a good hour now, easily my new song obsession). However, the rest of The Final Frontier was rather forgettable to me. Not bad, but certainly not Maiden's best, either. Bruce's vocals seemed hit or miss, too... He can still hit high notes, but I could hear his voice giving way in several places throughout the album. But yeah, this release will probably be a grower for me.

On the subject of Satan worship/imagery, well...I don't know. If it's really what inspires them to write music, then whatever, no one's stopping them. But when you latch onto an image because it's acceptable/common within the metal community...that just seems like a pretty tool thing to do, imo.

Last edited:

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Indeed... What do you think of it? I've given it a few listens... "Starblind", "Isle of Avalon" and "The Talisman" were rather enjoyable, but I absolutely LOVE "When the Wild Wind Blows" (it's been on repeat for a good hour now, easily my new song obsession). However, the rest of The Final Frontier was rather forgettable to me. Not bad, but certainly not Maiden's best, either. Bruce's vocals seemed hit or miss, too... He can still hit high notes, but I could hear his voice giving way in several places throughout the album. But yeah, this release will probably be a grower for me.

On the subject of Satan worship/imagery, well...I don't know. If it's really what inspires them to write music, then whatever, no one's stopping them. But when you latch onto an image because it's acceptable/common within the metal community...that just seems like a pretty tool thing to do, imo.

I really liked The Alchemist. Sort of like a typical Maiden song i would say. The Final Frontier was good too. This is a pretty good album, probably not their best, but way better than i expected, considering their age. I'll give it an 8/10.

Dio comes to mind when talking about Satan worship, but i dont think he actually encouraged Devil worship and all, its just that the Devil Horns thing was his symbol.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Maiden getting the top spot in the UK charts is great, they deserve it. Such an awesome album, and Harris is still an amazing songwriter, or in better terms, an amazing storywriter, able to make songs from his fantasies. Too bad he doesn't have as much control, but he still has it.