• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Yeah Dream Theater's alright and everything but at this point I couldn't really care considering the only full albums I really care for are Awake and Images and Words. If Portnoy wants to waste his talent on a boring band like A7X I don't really have that much of a problem with it tbh. Whether he's doing it for the money or he genuinely enjoys playing with them is none of my damn business anyway.

I do hope for the fans' sake that they get a good drummer to replace him though, I guess.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
It saddened me somewhat, given Portnoy was at the core of the band, so many decisions, from artwork, to setlists were all sorted by him. On the one hand his drumming has'nt been as good as it has bee non recent albums, but that didn't take away from the last album, as I still think BC&SL is one of the bands best albums of recent years.
But I dont understand why you would leave your band, that you saw grow from the beginning, to fill in for a dead guy in a band you had no real creative input in up untill now.
Its like disowning your child you've loved and cared for all your life, and adopting someone elses.

I wonder if he will continue his collection of bootlegs of every live show dream theater have ever played.

Last edited:

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
So 2 things. The thin line is without a doubt my favorite Maiden song. The middle is just amazing, and the ending is great, and its the greatest way to close an album(besides the godly Orion). Second, Dream Theater-Portnoy=A7X+Portnoy? ****. Dream Theater is a great band and while I'm not too into prog, I do give em a listen here and there. Portnoy leaving deeply saddens me, and its the worst thing to do to a band since Hansen left Helloween(although given gamma ray is what came of it.....)

DragonDance

thrasher
I wonder if he will continue his collection of bootlegs of every live show dream theater have ever played.

Probably not, seeing as how there's no money in it.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Probably not, seeing as how there's no money in it.
Well there never was any money in it, he collected them cause of his OCD, he never sold them or anything, he just had thousands in his basement.
He also knew setlists of by heart, they were saying on the chaos in motion DVD, one of them could say when was the last time we played 'x song', and he would straight away, for example, like new york 1996.

If you look at some of the releases on YTSEjam or some of the fanclub CD's, there are recordings from back when they were called majesty, there are various audition tapes for numerous singers, theres even a 'making of' of scenes form a memory, like out takes, synth tracks, alternate vocals. And on the Falling into infinity Demo's they had Metropolis part 2 as one song.

The guy was really dedicated to the band, which is why it baffles me he left.

I think also, it will be hard to replace him, not due to technical ability, as im sure there are hundreds of DT fanboys who have learned every song waiting to take his spot, but I had stage presence, and something of an ego, but in a good way. If you saw your average band live, the drummer is just sat at the back keeping time, but with Dream Theater, Mike was almost regarded in the way a lead vocalist would be regarded in any other band. And I think thats what will be hard to replace.

Annhialator Zero

killkillkillkillkill
Aye, I just adore the song. It's probably my second favourite they ever recorded. My first is similarly controvertial, it's The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner from Somewhere In Time. The song is so good I actually took the time to read the book that it's based on. I loved it. Similar story for Lord of Light from A Matter of Life and Death, the song is epic, and it made me read the book of the same name, which turned out to be one of my favourite books of all time.

You have to be kidding me, does everyone like the same obscure songs I do? Loneliness is one of my favourites too, epic intro. Although it's one of the few cases where I think the song should have faded out. Phantom of the Opera's my favourite though =) just the most amazing middle section.

Portnoy leaving is really shitty, cause I love DT and his drumming (My drummer brother rates him as basically the greatest drummer ever). I mean he was basically the core of it along with John Petrucci, you could probably replace any of the other members (Although John Myung seems to be rated very highly as a bassist so maybe not him) as Dream Theater will obviously be an attractive prospect to any technically godly musicians .

Didn't think it was that similar to FTGGOG. Although in fairness the intros both have the same chord structure (E-C-G-D), although that one is incredibly common to be honest. FTGGOG is more like a HUGE version of the structure of Intro -> Verse -> Chorus 1 -> Verse -> Chorus 1 -> Chorus 2 -> Solo -> Chorus 1 -> Chorus 2 -> Outro (which is the same as the intro).
Standard structure for most long metal songs, When The Wild Wind Blows has three distinct sections (Although the middle one is basically a short verse followed by long solo) and doesn't really have a definable chorus like Greater Good. The little melody right before it returns to the intro is absolutely mindblowing though. Still love Greater Good though, just pipped by The Legacy as my highlight for that album.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
The guy was really dedicated to the band, which is why it baffles me he left.

I always thought Petrucci would be the first to go; he always struck me as the arrogant douche in the band. I suppose I was wrong. Was it just me or did anyone else think it was kind of perturbing that Portnoy was quoting Dream Theater lyrics throughout his message?

Look on the bright side, though, there's a good potential that we won't be seeing any more "Portnoy growls" in Dream Theater's music.

Yeah Dream Theater's alright and everything but at this point I couldn't really care considering the only full albums I really care for are Awake and Images and Words.

I agree, although I also found Live at Budokan to be pretty good. Some over-the-top moments, yes (looking at the "Hollow Years" solo), but none of them are really distasteful.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I mean he was basically the core of it along with John Petrucci, you could probably replace any of the other members (Although John Myung seems to be rated very highly as a bassist so maybe not him)

Dream Theater in the beginning was Portnoy, Myung and Petrucci, back when they were Majesty. The first 6 tracks were essentially those 3. Though kevin moore has a writing credit for "A Vision", so I don't know if he was on the demo or not.

But essentially Portnoy, Myung and Petrucci were the core of the band, and up untill now were the only original members.

I'm also willing to bet they go less 'metal' with the next album. Cause if you listen to the Petrucci/Rudess live album, or any of the bands solo works, or who they cite as an influence, theres only really Portnoy who liked metal all that much.

DragonDance

thrasher
I always thought Petrucci would be the first to go; he always struck me as the arrogant douche in the band. I suppose I was wrong. Was it just me or did anyone else think it was kind of perturbing that Portnoy was quoting Dream Theater lyrics throughout his message?

I thought It would have been Myung, seeing as how Portnoy basically shut him completely out

Look on the bright side, though, there's a good potential that we won't be seeing any more "Portnoy growls" in Dream Theater's music.

I actually liked his vocals to be honest.

Well there never was any money in it, he collected them cause of his OCD,

I wasn't being fully serious. Just poking fun at how I think he's in the midst of selling out.

LeLouch Lawliet

LeLouch and C.C.
I am sorry but some American metal bands suck. For example Disturbed and Linkin Park are just bad. I prefer listening to European metal bands like Sonata Artica and Hammerfall. I do like Avenged Sevenfold and TOOL too.

On I side note I also like Techno =)

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I am sorry but some American metal bands suck. For example Disturbed and Linkin Park are just bad. I prefer listening to European metal bands like Sonata Artica and Hammerfall. I do like Avenged Sevenfold and TOOL too.

By the same measure, some European bands suck.

whilst I agree, a lot more bands I like seem to come from the UK/Europe, but the US has Atheist, Dekapitator, Iced Earth, Nocturnus, Testament, Obituary, Cynic, Battle Dagorath, Omen, Morbid Angel, Swordbearer, and Wolves in the Throne Room to name a few, and there are a lot of quite underground bands who are rather good.

Zazie

So 1991

On I side note I also like Techno =)

You're comparing power metal to nu metal. The fact that Linkin Park and Disturbed are American has little to do with it. There are American power metal bands too like Man-o-war and Iced Earth that sound more like the European bands you mentioned. (Though American power metal typically sounds a little rougher and less keyboard oriented)

Crobat51

Gentlemen!!!
Going to see Katatonia and Swallow The Sun tonight in NYC :)

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
I thought It would have been Myung, seeing as how Portnoy basically shut him completely out

That's a good point, I can't even think of any side projects that Myung has outside of Dream Theater. Myung's last lyrical contribution that made it onto a record was back in 1999 for a single song on Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory. Ever since then it's been LaBrie/Portnoy/Petrucci, with Portnoy and Petrucci eventually ending up as the only lyricists on the latest album. By the time Systematic Chaos rolled around and Portnoy already had plans for the album laid out, it became obvious that he was in control.

I actually liked his vocals to be honest.

They were alright before I checked out early Dream Theater. Now I'm always going to remember "The Dark Eternal Night" whenever I think about Portnoy's vocals, and that song just seemed to get worse and worse the more I listened to the band's earlier work.

I am sorry but some American metal bands suck. For example Disturbed and Linkin Park are just bad.

Disturbed have stated that they consider themselves a "hard rock band." Linkin Park was borderline nu metal on Hybrid Theory, but moved into mainstream rock music with each consecutive release, finally ending up along the lines of pop-rock with Minutes to Midnight. Neither one of the bands you mentioned are good representations of American metal.

And to be honest, some of Chaotic Tyrant's bands are not good representations of American metal either, as I can tell you right now that you won't find many American bands that sound like Cynic, Vio-lence, or Nevermore. (But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't check them out.)