• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

xcappel

Guitarist
Idk if anyone considers it metal, but I LOVE Avenged Sevenfold.

okothnuva

or something
this is just the elitist in me talking, but i can't see why anyone would expect anything above average from Amorphis post Tales From the Thousand Lakes.

every new Amorphis album is the same, i feel. 10 tracks, with 1-3 being ridiculously catchy or have some kind of cool, folky melodies that were done tastefully, and the best being average to **** tracks of "progressive" metal with some not as well written folk melodies.

again, just the elitist in me talking.

I wasn't looking to be blown away but since Silent Waters and Skyforger were infinitely better than the last 2-3 before them I was kind of hoping for them to get better, not worse :l

emogirl

Panda-chan.
Hm. I'm a little late in starting posting here, but yes, I would consider myself a metal head. I like metal. Death Metal, Punk Metal, Thrash Metal, etc., almost every kind. :p
I wish there were more metalheads in my area, everyone wants to listen to pop and rap, ;-;

this is just the elitist in me talking, but i can't see why anyone would expect anything above average from Amorphis post Tales From the Thousand Lakes.

every new Amorphis album is the same, i feel. 10 tracks, with 1-3 being ridiculously catchy or have some kind of cool, folky melodies that were done tastefully, and the best being average to **** tracks of "progressive" metal with some not as well written folk melodies.

again, just the elitist in me talking.
i don't think that's being elitist whatsoever, it's speaking the truth. i know that tuonela is bland as **** after only one listen, but am universum was pretty good i felt.

also skyforger is supposedly progressive doom metal, anyone care to explain how the **** that works?

emogirl

Panda-chan.
Which bands?

Oh god. >.< some of the ones I'd consider heavier, more or less, would be,
Asking Alexandria, Slipknot, Disturbed, Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, SOAD (they...depend), August Burns Red, We Came As Romans (idk if they really count), The Devil Wears Prada, Abandon All Ships, Of Mice & Men, I Set My Friends On Fire, Woe Is Me, Miss May I, The Word Alive, some bands my friends made you haven't heard of, Sleeping With Sirens, Job For A Cowboy, Black Sabbath, Korn, Attack Attack!, Sixx am, As Blood Runs Black, Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Lamb Of God, Iron Maiden, Megadeth....
The list goes on, and I realize a lot of the ones I listed are newer, and some are more rock than metal, and you have to be a little lenient. But, there's a lot, these are just a few off the top of my head. xD got what you wanted to know?

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Hm. I'm a little late in starting posting here, but yes, I would consider myself a metal head. I like metal. Death Metal, Punk Metal, Thrash Metal, etc., almost every kind. :p
I wish there were more metalheads in my area, everyone wants to listen to pop and rap, ;-;

Your username speaks for yourself, really.

Asking Alexandria, Slipknot, Disturbed, Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, SOAD (they...depend), August Burns Red, We Came As Romans (idk if they really count), The Devil Wears Prada, Abandon All Ships, Of Mice & Men, I Set My Friends On Fire, Woe Is Me, Miss May I, The Word Alive, some bands my friends made you haven't heard of, Sleeping With Sirens, Job For A Cowboy, Black Sabbath, Korn, Attack Attack!, Sixx am, As Blood Runs Black, Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Lamb Of God, Iron Maiden, Megadeth....
The list goes on, and I realize a lot of the ones I listed are newer, and some are more rock than metal, and you have to be a little lenient. But, there's a lot, these are just a few off the top of my head. xD got what you wanted to know?
i'll try not to be a douche, but to put it into perspective; compare what you think of death metal to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_agMM4Czeo

that's the difference of what we discuss in this thread to what you listen to.

also i giggled at "punk metal".

can't help but doubt anyone in this thread would know, but does anyone know if Repugnant are releasing a new album this year? i heard some rumors, and i'd say Epitome of Darkness was one of the best albums of this whole new wave of Swedeath or whatever the ****, so yeah.

emogirl

Panda-chan.
i'll try not to be a douche, but to put it into perspective; compare what you think of death metal to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_agMM4Czeo

that's the difference of what we discuss in this thread to what you listen to.

also i giggled at "punk metal".

can't help but doubt anyone in this thread would know, but does anyone know if Repugnant are releasing a new album this year? i heard some rumors, and i'd say Epitome of Darkness was one of the best albums of this whole new wave of Swedeath or whatever the ****, so yeah.

I don't recall saying those were the death metal bands I listened to. I said heavier bands, more or less, and that those were a few off of the top of my head, not that they were the only bands i've ever listened to and heard of. I do listen to the band you linked me to, I just didn't list them.

SlipKnoT

Bolded bands are great, imo. I don't think you'll find anyone here who will agree with the rest (save Anthrax), but hey, nothing wrong with a little diversity of opinion.

Your username speaks for yourself, really.
At least CT made an effort to not sound like an ass. :/

Chaotic Tyrant said:
No idea, all I know about Repugnant is that their vocalist is in Ghost, though I will add that album to my 'to get' list, based on your endorsement.

I don't recall saying those were the death metal bands I listened to. I said heavier bands, more or less, and that those were a few off of the top of my head, not that they were the only bands i've ever listened to and heard of. I do listen to the band you linked me to, I just didn't list them.
Could you list the death/thrash bands you listen to?

er.
you said you listed to death and thrash stuff, and then you listed those bands. therefore i'm to assume you think some of those bands are death metal.

and in all fairness if those are the bands you consider "heavier" i don't think you'll fit in well here. just saying.
No idea, all I know about Repugnant is that their vocalist is in Ghost, though I will add that album to my 'to get' list, based on your endorsement.
has that actually been confirmed? i've heard a bunch of rumors and it seems like every festival Ghost plays, Repugnant follows. i had to miss Ghost at MDF but when i saw Repugnant the guy was wearing a ton of make up and **** and i know Ghost always preform in uniform too so i guess no one would notice.

here's a song to try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7jVVBn9s6w

if you like them i'd also recommend Tribulation and Merciless.

but i like Repugnant a lot more than Ghost. not that Ghost are bad. i'd like to see the project continue actually, i think with another album or two they could peak.

SlipKnoT

has that actually been confirmed? i've heard a bunch of rumors and it seems like every festival Ghost plays, Repugnant follows. i had to miss Ghost at MDF but when i saw Repugnant the guy was wearing a ton of make up and **** and i know Ghost always preform in uniform too so i guess no one would notice.
"The real names of the band members have so far not been revealed, but Mary Goore (Tobias Forge) of Repugnant has song and lyrical credits under the pseudonym A Ghoul Writer, according to www.stim.se (Swedish Performing Rights Society)."

That's from MA.
here's a song to try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7jVVBn9s6w

if you like them i'd also recommend Tribulation and Merciless.
Thanks, I'll listen to that when I'm finished with the movie I'm watching.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Bolded bands are great, imo. I don't think you'll find anyone here who will agree with the rest (save Anthrax), but hey, nothing wrong with a little diversity of opinion.
**** me, Rammstein is some good listening if you're in the mood for electro-metal, but that's it from that list. I'm not too crazy for it of course, but its a good neutral point if I want to get away from the heavier stuff for a while.

Ghost is great, some of the greatest occult tradish in ages. Also a really great, but entirely different band is Portrait, especially they're new album. **** me if it isn't a sign that Tradish is coming back, and HARD. I mean, not only did we have a new Wolf, Edguy is going to their roots, as I said portrait did something magical, AND there's a new steelwing apparently by year's end. Not mention White Wizzard, cause flying tigers too dissapointing. As I said, exciting times ahead....

Last edited:

3raser

a guy on earth
naah loved to try it though

i don't understand the attention Rammstein get at all really. if i wanted "industrial" metal (and i rarely do) Ministry are a lot better, and so are select Oomph! albums.

i'm getting around to trying Absu's discography, having only heard (and loved) Tara. trying the Third Storm of Cythraul now. it's good, but the vocals are annoying, and the mix is awful. the drums and vocals drown out everything. i want the drums to be high since Prosciptor is one of the best drummers i've ever heard, but with the album already being chaotic as **** (which i like) it pisses me off i can't hear anything with the mix. the vocals are really bad too so it pisses me off they're so high.

but in general it's a good album. just with bad production. the chaos and fantastic and frantic drumming reminds me of Altars of Madness mixed with the aggression of early Kreator and some general black metal evilness, and something else i can't quite my finger on. not quite as focused as Tara, and the production on Tara was much better, but still quite good.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Just got back from bloodstock, I had a great weekend.

bands I saw,
Wolf - good, not incredible, just another solid performance.
Spires (acoustic) - Not bad, but their music definitely works better plugged in.
Triptykon - Really don't get the fuss with them, dull beyond belief.
Kreator - Much better than 08. And their 'modified' stage set up made me wonder if they where perhaps filming the set for a bonus DVD for the next album as some bands do.
Though the guy anouncing them was cringe worthy, trying to show his 'metal credentials'
Brezno - Not bad. Certainly showed potential.
Lawnmower Death - I thought it was a good, funny set.
WASP - Sound wise they were ok, and they played tight as a band, but I just wasn't feeling it. I ended up leaving early.

Bludvera - Despite the half ten in the morning stage time, I thought they where as good as I'd ever seen them. Just good classic thrash worship.
Skeleton Witch - Only really watched them as I was meeting friends before the set. I don't think I'll be bothering listening to them again.
Grave Digger - Thought they sounded a bit dire, so I left after 3 songs.
Fintroll - Again, only watched as I was meeting friends before hand. I thought the sound was awful, and the music wasn't good enough to save it.
Wintersun - I was sat asleep in my chair for most of their set, so I don't really know.
Therion - The biggest surprise of the festival for me. I had no idea what to expect, and I ended up really enjoying them. I was told after it was a pretty weird set that was full of filler tracks, so I guess if I enjoyed filler, I'd like the good stuff too.
Northern Oak (Acoustic) - In my opinion they seemed better as an acoustic band than an electric one. The riffs just sounded better, and the music felt more natural. The only let down for me was the vocalist retained his harsh raspy monotonal vocal, which just felt really out of place over such nice music.
Rhapsody of Fire - Fan Flippin' Tastic. Just a shame the crowd was so small, which then got smaller halfway through when Angel Witch came on. I think I managed to get about twice as close as I was when that happened, and still have as much room around me.

Hell - Absolutely brilliant. The singer has to be one of the best font men I've ever seen. Maybe not for vocal talent (though he is good), but for the entertainment and stage show.
1349 - I thought they sounded awful.
Spires - Only caught half of their set due to a clash, but I thought they were a really tight, and really good band.
Primordial - Incredible until Alan lost his voice mid set. That was such a shame. But they persevered and I think the instrumental versions of Empires Fall and The Coffin Ships were still entertaining despite the lack of vocal. All credit for Alan for not giving up and at least trying with them every now and again.
Napalm Death - I really don't get the fuss over them.
Hammerfall - Tight and sounded good, but suffer from a lack of interesting songs.
Northern Oak - Probably the best electric show I've seen them play, and the new track sounded incredible, apart from the vocal. I don't like to speak bad of him, as he seems a nice chap, but for me he's letting the band down somewhat at the moment. And I won't name names, but I'm not the only one to think that.
Morbid Angel - I was bored truth be told. even the classics just didn't seem to live up the recorded versions.
Motorhead - I thought they were very quite for a band who brags about being louder than everything else, infact it felt at the time like they where the quietest band of the day. Also Lemmy seemed, and probably was a bit pissed. I was disappointed truth be told.

bands I missed I kind wish I hadn't in hindsight, Coroner, Ihsahn, Angel Witch, At the Gates.

Also picked up the following albums from the earache tent
Graveland - Dawn of Iron Blades
Foest - Обрекая Надежду на Вечность
Hate Forest - The Most Ancient Ones