• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Metalheads? anybody?

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I think the only real hipster/metal cross over comes from a lot of black metal, like Wolves in the Throne Room, Liturgy, Krallice mainly US black metal bands who display a big none black metal influence.

And to a lesser degree the likes of Alcest and Les Discrets though I don't consider them metal. Fantastic though they are.

stereotypical "hipster" metal is any band that people label "post" whatever (except "post thrash" or "groove" or whatever of the thousand terms you want to use). "post" black metal, "post" metal, etc.

this is a stupid discussion anyway though.

i don't think there's many people that listen to grind on this forum but if there is can anyone throw me some early grind in the vein of the first Extreme Noise Terror album? i've mostly stuck to stuff that's on the deathgrind side (Repulsion and the like) but i've always loved ENT. newer stuff is fine too but i've just found in general the newer grind is the less likely i am to like it... though i do dig Insect Warfare.

iCakeify

Luxray Fanboy
Just listened through Carnophage's first album "Deformed Future // Genetic Nightmare". First Technical Brutal Death Metal album with creativity and without every single line of lyrics being about gore and rape.

stereotypical "hipster" metal is any band that people label "post" whatever (except "post thrash" or "groove" or whatever of the thousand terms you want to use). "post" black metal, "post" metal, etc.

i actually think "atmospheric sludge metal" sounds far more pretentious than simply "post-metal", and the post- prefix actually does have a meaning (look at post-punk). post-black metal is being used to refer to like blackgaze and stuff like that isn't it?

but yes arguing about genres is silly.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
I've never really got the fuss with them to be honest. They aren't bad though.

Ever heard of Alpha Tiger? They sound like they could be right up your street.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQzy8ZN7CQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQxNf8jApik&feature=watch_response
Steelwing's hook for me is basically the singer and the melodies. Couldn't give a rat's *** bout anything, perhaps the riffs. And thanks for that, you judged correctly. Even better were the suggestions YT made. Gotta love that suggestion bar, especially for stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=011JVPd9tTg&feature=related

Last edited:
That Villain track was pretty solid, but the recording sounds really, really bad.

my favorite genre is pre-post metal what does this make me :(

i don't think there's many people that listen to grind on this forum but if there is can anyone throw me some early grind in the vein of the first Extreme Noise Terror album? i've mostly stuck to stuff that's on the deathgrind side (Repulsion and the like) but i've always loved ENT. newer stuff is fine too but i've just found in general the newer grind is the less likely i am to like it... though i do dig Insect Warfare.

God, where's Dias when you need him? Besides years in my past.

that Villian track sounds pretty nice, surprisingly.

i don't get what's bad with the production though... i guess the guitar tone is pretty thin, but other than that it sounds like typical early 80's heavy/thrash production.
God, where's Dias when you need him? Besides years in my past.
excuse me?

also, i think i like The Inside Room more than Watching From A Distance. WFAD still has those orgasm like build ups in tracks like "Faces" and "Footprints", though. i just think The Inside Room is more consistently good instead of every song having 3 minutes of absolutely amazing material, 5 minutes of great, and 2 of just build up. i think Patrick's vocal performance is a bit more refined too. though i wish whatever drummer they have for that album would lay off the ****ing symbols for awhile, they work good on some tracks but good lord. doesn't help that they're pretty high up in the mix either.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
also, i think i like The Inside Room more than Watching From A Distance. WFAD still has those orgasm like build ups in tracks like "Faces" and "Footprints", though. i just think The Inside Room is more consistently good instead of every song having 3 minutes of absolutely amazing material, 5 minutes of great, and 2 of just build up. i think Patrick's vocal performance is a bit more refined too. though i wish whatever drummer they have for that album would lay off the ****ing symbols for awhile, they work good on some tracks but good lord. doesn't help that they're pretty high up in the mix either.

Interesting.
Whilst I don't agree, I can see where your coming from.

just put the inside room on now, and looked at the cover. I've only just realised that they are birds on the cover. I thought they were starfish on a beach *facepalm*

Last edited:

)WisP(

Graceful as the wind
We've got some demos up on our facebook page now: Wythermoon

If you guys could give it a listen and tell me what you think of it, that'd be great (quick word of warning, terrible quality and no bass or drum tracks yet). I'm the vocalist btw.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
A Warriors Story - I like the ye olde feel to it. Reminds me a bit of Solstice's Blackthorne and Forefather's When Our England Died. Vocals are pretty good, if not a little strained at times. I like it though.

A Mhionn Fola - This is harder due to it being less of a finished product unlike the track above which sounds as good as finished. Definitely needs some mixing work doing. Vocals far too loud in the mix. And you have to watch your noise floor when recording, there's so much background noise in your vocal recording that it feels like two completely unrelated things playing at the same time. This coupled with them being far too loud really doesn't work. Riff wise it's alright, the tone is too clean sounding productionwise, as I say it's clear it was recorded separately to the vocals. The folky bit is ok though, quite a nice way to end the song.

Ultimate Bravery - Same as above really.

Certainly has promise. And your folk sections are probably better than your metal sections, but that's probably down to them sounding finished unlike the other bits.

Just reading the comments on facebook, your mate Tim is an idiot. Since when has The shitter the Better been a good thing? A Demo is supposed to draw attention to you band and make them stand out. Back in the early days of black metal, you know why Bathory, Hellhammer, Early Mayhem demo's had poor production? Because it's the best they could afford/achieve back then. Compare Twilight God's to Under the kThe Return, the production has increased significantly, so it clearly wasn't Quorthon sounding kvlt for the fun of it.
If the technology, is there, use it.

He also sounds like such a poser, "I like it... I guess that comes from listening to ALOT of black metal demos though " as if he's sayign 'ooh look at me aren't I cool, I've heard black metal demo's.'
Well so have I, and I own black metal demo's, and let me tell you, they don't all sound like ****.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_nT3ieNlag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp1Z3Wp777U
I can't find it on youtube, but Old Corpse Road's Echoes of Tales Once Told Demo is another.

And even this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5f1GVcOskA
which is a harsher recording, still sounds good cause it's mixed and recorded properly.

But keep at it, there's certainly potential.

)WisP(

Graceful as the wind
The quality's probably the best we could have done. We had a weird recording set up (mic into guitar amp, mic resting on the into computer) which gave some weird echo sort of sounds. I don't really have any idea what Tim's on about, I guess he wants it to sound more 'old school', bu he is younger than me and hasn't fully matured yet (even though all the music was written by him, the cheesier lyrics and the vocals on 'A Warriors Story')

Thanks for the input though, I think we'll probably rerecord the 'heavier' songs at some point in the near future, we only spent about 4 hours recording on the 2 of them, and I can't record anything at home unless I find my USB mic.

If there's any other pointers you've got that'd be great. Thanks again!

a warrior's story was alright, very repetitive though. there are a few parts where your vocals sounded as though you just couldn't reach a slightly higher note or something.

a mhionn fola i honestly didn't listen to past where the vocals came in. the intro riff was pretty snazzy though. ultimate bravery had the same problem.

looks promising, just needs better recording. i personally consider the last two unlistenable production, sorry. :/